Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,634
    Carlos pena is batting .197 on the season
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,680
    this is some game between the Padres and Cubs right now.

Pads are done. Stick a fork in 'em. Ran out of smoke & mirrors.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    The Blue Jays are only nine home runs away from tying a single season record. They must be putting something in the water up here.
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

like the whole NL besides philly
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389

like the whole NL besides philly
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ladies and gentlemen, your odds on favorites:
    THE FAVORITES

Philadelphia Phillies (+225)

To say that things are coming together for Philadelphia might be the understatement of the century. The battle-tested Phillies, who clinched their fourth straight NL East title on Monday night, are 20-5 in the month of September.

They’ve already locked up home field throughout the playoffs, and did it early enough to let Charlie Manuel set up his rotation for the NLDS. The trio of Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels is so dangerous in a short series, it ought to be illegal.

New York Yankees (+275)

The Yankees lead the majors in runs scored and Alex Rodriguez is getting hot at the right time (he leads all third basemen with a .658 slugging percentage in September). Unfortunately for New York, he can’t pitch.

The Yankees’ rotation has been a disaster down the stretch. Their stay in the postseason will be short if no one steps up behind C.C. Sabathia.

Tampa Bay Rays (+300)

David Price threw another gem Tuesday night, but behind Price, the Rays’ rotation looks thin. Matt Garza, James Shields and Jeff Niemann have all struggled down the stretch.

And home field won’t be much of an advantage for Tampa Bay. The Rays drew just 12,446 to Tropicana Field Monday night playing with a chance to clinch their second-ever playoff berth.

LONGSHOTS

Minnesota Twins (+1000)

What’s colder than the phone lines at the Rays’ ticket office? How about outdoor October baseball in Minnesota. The chances of Justin Morneau returning for the playoffs are dwindling, but the Twins continue to play great baseball without him.

This week’s schedule looms large for Minnesota. The Twins, who hold the best home record in the American League, still have a shot at earning home field advantage for the first two rounds of the playoffs.

Cincinnati Reds (+1000)

Cincinnati clinched a division title Tuesday on Jay Bruce’s dramatic home run, but there wasn’t much drama to the NL Central race. The Reds had the division all but sewn up a month ago, which may explain why they’re playing sub-.500 baseball in September.

Cincinnati leads the National League with 4.9 runs per game, but has averaged only 4.2 this month. There’s a reason the Reds are this far down the favorites list: just look at their starting rotation.

Texas Rangers (+1200)

The Rangers’ hopes rest largely on Josh Hamilton’s broken ribs. Texas wants get him into its lineup this weekend to see if he can handle full-speed baseball before the playoffs start. If Hamilton can’t play, or isn’t the offensive threat we’re used to seeing, the Rangers’ first playoff appearance in over a decade will be shortlived.

San Diego Padres (+2500) and San Francisco Giants (+1200)

The Padres and Giants have the same odds as the Rangers, but they’re in a different boat since neither has secured a spot in the postseason yet. That angle will likely play itself out this weekend when the teams play a three-game set in San Fran.

The Padres appear to have peaked too early. They’re hanging on for dear life in the NL West and Wild Card races. San Diego ranks 21st in the majors in runs scored and 28th in the month of September. Not even the best bullpen in baseball can overcome that kind of offensive inefficiency.

San Francisco has been almost as offensively inept as San Diego, but the depth of the Giants’ rotation makes them dangerous. A short series between the Giants and Phillies could get interesting. Philadelphia would be a heavy favorite, but San Francisco is the only contender who’s beaten both Halladay and Oswalt in the regular season. They’re also 1-0 against Hamels.

Atlanta Braves (+1500)

Tim Hudson has had a big season for the Braves, but he’s been hit-or-miss down the stretch. You’ve got to wonder if Atlanta can overcome the recent injuries to Martin Prado and Jair Jurrjens to earn Bobby Cox one last postseason appearance before he rides off into the sunset.

With a weekend series against the Phillies on the horizon, chances are they’ll be watching the playoffs on TV with the rest of us.

go. phils. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    fuck cincy......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I don't care. I am just happy to be here. And I disagree (only slightly) about the Hamilton comment. Yes, their chances are significantly reduced without him. But Lee and CJ will be tough against anybody so I like their chances in the ALDS.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    The playoffs are all about streaks. Who's winning going into the playoffs and who's being tested going into the playoffs. I don't think the Phillies or Yankees are going to win it. The Phillies have been on vacation the last week or so. Remember the Rockies a few years back? Won 20 of 22 or some crazy non sense in September, beat SD in a one game playoff, and went to the World Series. I think they actually swept the favorite Phillies in a divisional series as well. Look out for the small clubs!! I think the Rangers can destroy the Yankees (season series). I hope the Giants get to play the Phillies in a 5 or 7 game series. Season series was tied 3-3. As stated above, the Giants beat Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels this year. I don't see how the Phillies are the favorite.

Twins - Giants World Series!!!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Blue Jays are only nine home runs away from tying a single season record. They must be putting something in the water up here.

home runs in the 3rd hardest park and 2 against the pitcher giving up the fewest home runs this year ... if we had the arms this year - we could have been in the playoffs ...
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,680
    The playoffs are all about streaks. Who's winning going into the playoffs and who's being tested going into the playoffs. I don't think the Phillies or Yankees are going to win it. The Phillies have been on vacation the last week or so. Remember the Rockies a few years back? Won 20 of 22 or some crazy non sense in September, beat SD in a one game playoff, and went to the World Series. I think they actually swept the favorite Phillies in a divisional series as well. Look out for the small clubs!! I think the Rangers can destroy the Yankees (season series). I hope the Giants get to play the Phillies in a 5 or 7 game series. Season series was tied 3-3. As stated above, the Giants beat Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels this year. I don't see how the Phillies are the favorite.

Twins - Giants World Series!!!

It may be Twins-Giants, but momentum in September has absolutely no correlation to success in October. For every 2007 Rockies team, there are two teams like the 2000 Yankees or 2006 Cardinals (and Tigers) who had horrendous Septembers and won it all, or at least the pennant. There was an article on espn about a week ago that debunked this myth. Momentum's only as good as the next day's starting pitcher.

As far as the 3-3 season series, it's absurd to use a 6-game sample size as any indicator of what may come in the playoffs.

Besides, the Phillies have over 20 wins in September already. Even though it doesn't mean anything, I would say they have some momentum. Hope to see Giants in NLCS - another CA team goes down!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,820
    I'll take the Giants in a 7 game series all day, every day. Just not in a 5 game series.

Everyone thought the week leading up to the playoffs last year for the Phils was going to hurt them. I wouldn't call making it to game 6 of the World Series being rusty.... Like I said before, I honestly didn't think it was possible for a baseball team to flip a switch and suddenly "turn it on", and all those other shitty cliche's. But apparently this Phils team is the first team I've ever seen do it, and I am gladly being proven wrong.

I will be salivating at the mouth if we get the Reds in the first round. DE....STROYED.
  • Options
    I'll take the Giants in a 7 game series all day, every day. Just not in a 5 game series.

Everyone thought the week leading up to the playoffs last year for the Phils was going to hurt them. I wouldn't call making it to game 6 of the World Series being rusty.... Like I said before, I honestly didn't think it was possible for a baseball team to flip a switch and suddenly "turn it on", and all those other shitty cliche's. But apparently this Phils team is the first team I've ever seen do it, and I am gladly being proven wrong.

I will be salivating at the mouth if we get the Reds in the first round. DE....STROYED.

i believe we clinched a few days later last year....but still, good point.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

i believe we clinched a few days later last year....but still, good point.

Yeah, it wasn't as early, but close to. The point is - that shit's hogwash.
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    polaris_x wrote:

home runs in the 3rd hardest park and 2 against the pitcher giving up the fewest home runs this year ... if we had the arms this year - we could have been in the playoffs ...
    The rotation should be good next year, it's the bullpen we need to worry about. I wouldn't mind seeing Drabek as the Jays number five pitcher next year. He won't be nearly as dominant in the hitters friendly PCL and that might hurt his confidence.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    polaris_x wrote:

The rotation should be good next year, it's the bullpen we need to worry about. I wouldn't mind seeing Drabek as the Jays number five pitcher next year. He won't be nearly as dominant in the hitters friendly PCL and that might hurt his confidence.

that division is insane
  • Options
    Watching the second part of the Ken Burns doc while the Yanks are delayed. I don't think you will ever hear me say this again, but I think Pedro is great in it. He was so fucking good.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Watching the second part of the Ken Burns doc while the Yanks are delayed. I don't think you will ever hear me say this again, but I think Pedro is great in it. He was so fucking good.

I can't stand him either, but you're right.

Part 2 should be called 'A Decade of Baseball in Boston -- and Some Steroid Stuff'
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I can't stand him either, but you're right.

Part 2 should be called 'A Decade of Baseball in Boston -- and Some Steroid Stuff'

haha, yeah. And 2001. That was pretty incredible as well.
  • Options
    Oh, and I also fucking despise Selena Roberts.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

As much as I despise Arod I agree with you. She just seems like a vendictive person. Has she ever written anything positive? she should be working in law enforcement
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

As much as I despise Arod I agree with you. She just seems like a vendictive person. Has she ever written anything positive? she should be working in law enforcement

She is a horrible person. I have never read anything positive written by her and that includes her shit on the back page of SI after Riley left. Aside from the positive test, the shit she had on Arod was such a joke. Ohhh, he gained 20 pounds in high school. You fucking serious? The Duke shit was just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

She is a horrible person. I have never read anything positive written by her and that includes her shit on the back page of SI after Riley left. Aside from the positive test, the shit she had on Arod was such a joke. Ohhh, he gained 20 pounds in high school. You fucking serious? The Duke shit was just the tip of the iceberg.

but tony....she's a whore....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    2010 Division Series
    Date Game TV Time (ET)
    Oct. 6 Game 1: Texas Rangers at Tampa Bay Rays TBS 1:37
    Oct. 6 Game 1: Cincinnati Reds at Philadelphia Phillies TBS 5:07
    Oct. 6 Game 1: New York Yankees at Minnesota Twins TBS 8:37
    Oct. 7 Game 2: Texas Rangers at Tampa Bay Rays TBS 2:37
    Oct. 7 Game 2: New York Yankees at Minnesota Twins TBS 6:07
    Oct. 7 Game 1: Atlanta Braves at San Francisco Giants TBS 9:37
    Oct. 8 Game 2: Cincinnati Reds at Philadelphia Phillies TBS 6:07
    Oct. 8 Game 2: Atlanta Braves at San Francisco Giants TBS 9:37
    Oct. 9 Game 3: Tampa Bay Rays at Texas Rangers TBS 5:07
    Oct. 9 Game 3: Minnesota Twins at New York Yankees TBS 8:37
    Oct. 10 Game 4: Tampa Bay Rays at Texas Rangers (if necessary) TBS TBA
    Oct. 10 Game 4: Minnesota Twins at New York Yankees (if necessary) TBS TBA
    Oct. 10 Game 3: Philadelphia Phillies at Cincinnati Reds TBS TBA
    Oct. 10 Game 3: San Francisco Giants at Atlanta Braves TBS TBA
    Oct. 11 Game 4: Philadelphia Phillies at Cincinnati Reds (if necessary) TBS TBA
    Oct. 11 Game 4: San Francisco Giants at Atlanta Braves (if necessary) TBS TBA
    Oct. 12 Game 5: Texas Rangers at Tampa Bay Rays (if necessary) TBS TBA
    Oct. 12 Game 5: New York Yankees at Minnesota Twins (if necessary) TBS TBA
    Oct. 13 Game 5: Cincinnati Reds at Philadelphia Phillies (if necessary) TBS TBA
    Oct. 13 Game 5: Atlanta Braves at San Francisco Giants (if necessary) TBS TBA
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    And can someone tell me why this shit is running so late this year? I understand last year with the WBC, what is the excuse this year? The NLCS doesn't start till the 16th. I was celebrating the Phils pennant clincher in '08 on the 16th.
  • Options
    Well I work at home on Wednesdays so I have that one covered. I feel a cold coming on Thursday.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Flagg wrote:
    Well I work at home on Wednesdays so I have that one covered. I feel a cold coming on Thursday.

This is the team for some strange reason to winn it all theeeee RANGERS and then anybody but the Yanks from NY.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Tampa limped into the post season. Texas didn't do too well against them this season, but the Rays aren't playing that great right now.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

yeah ... shutting down morrow was a good idea ... bullpen will be interesting as we don't really have a closer ... still tho - always gonna be an uphill battle in the east ...

frig ... even baltimore went above .500 against the Central and Western divisions ... and you just know that the yankees and red sox are gonna spend this summer to get whoever is available ...
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Tampa limped into the post season. Texas didn't do too well against them this season, but the Rays aren't playing that great right now.

Price-Lee should be a great game. Tampas offense blows, he may pitch a perfect game.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Price-Lee should be a great game. Tampas offense blows, he may pitch a perfect game.

Maybe. David Price is tough too. After that, they have questions. I am confident in CJ Wilson and Colby Lewis though. But for some reason, the Rangers don't play Tampa well. That August series was a disaster.

It also sucks that the Rangers get all day games. But I guess when you are the new kids on the block that is what happens.

Two division champs facing each other get day games. Division champ vs. Wild Card gets prime time. Bleh.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13