MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    all star game voting starts today. not even 15 games into season.

I don't mind selig as much as most, but everything about the AS game is colassally stupid
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't mind selig as much as most, but everything about the AS game is colassally stupid

Oh come on...an exhibition game should decide home field advantage to the WS. :fp: What a joke that whole thing is....even before they changed it to the AS game, they alternated home-field advantage between AL and NL. That made no sense either....the team with the best record should have home-field for the WS. I don't know what is so hard about that.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Boston-area fans are in for a double-special treat! Not only will Jose Canseco be in attendance at the celebration for Fenway Park's 100th Anniversary, he's also signed a contract with the independent Worcester Tornadoes for their 2012 season. Imagine the fun and excitement of watching a delusional juice-head approaching 50 as he tries to make it back to a Major League team!
    The Fixer wrote:

Oh come on...an exhibition game should decide home field advantage to the WS. :fp: What a joke that whole thing is....even before they changed it to the AS game, they alternated home-field advantage between AL and NL. That made no sense either....the team with the best record should have home-field for the WS. I don't know what is so hard about that.

spot on. sometimes common sense makes too much sense I guess.

now that they have interleague play they could even use head 2 head if the team from each league played during the regular season. but again, I guess that makes too much sense
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

i don't see how that is fairer ... if everyone played the exact same schedule - maybe ... but the reality is that team wins are inflated based on who they play ... if you're in a weak division and get to play several shit teams over and over again - you shouldn't then get the added advantage of home field if you make it to the WS ...
    polaris_x wrote:

i don't see how that is fairer ... if everyone played the exact same schedule - maybe ... but the reality is that team wins are inflated based on who they play ... if you're in a weak division and get to play several shit teams over and over again - you shouldn't then get the added advantage of home field if you make it to the WS ...

So you think the All-Star game deciding is fair? That's all a bunch of horseshit. Team with the best record should get home field advantage. If people don't think that's fair, then just play it at a neutral site.
    So you think the All-Star game deciding is fair? That's all a bunch of horseshit. Team with the best record should get home field advantage. If people don't think that's fair, then just play it at a neutral site.

i'm not saying its fair but you can't tell me that best record is fair either ... the whole concept of the league isn't really fair ... the jays haven't made the post-season in ages largely because of the division they play in ... tell me that's fair that teams that get to play a bunch of games against perennially weak teams is fair ... the whole thing of money makes baseball even less fair ... sure, small market teams like tampa can do well but the big spenders are always contending and it's because of money ...

simply put ... the game isn't fair in many aspects ... this is the least of them ...
    I think a better solution than having the team with the best winn-loss record have home-field advantage (since, as polaris pointed out, some teams have easier schedules than others) would be to give it to the league with the best overall record in Interleague play. It would make the boring matchups more interesting and meaningful, especially since there will be interleague play every day next season. At the very least, it will take the decision away from the outcome of an exhibition game that still isn't managed as though it matters despite the rule change and the MLB marketing campaigns telling us how much it matters.
    I think a better solution than having the team with the best winn-loss record have home-field advantage (since, as polaris pointed out, some teams have easier schedules than others) would be to give it to the league with the best overall record in Interleague play. It would make the boring matchups more interesting and meaningful, especially since there will be interleague play every day next season. At the very least, it will take the decision away from the outcome of an exhibition game that still isn't managed as though it matters despite the rule change and the MLB marketing campaigns telling us how much it matters.

eh, I don't think that's a good solution either. You're still relying on teams like minnesota, baltimore, pittsburgh, and oakland to determine things.

at least we can all agree that the current format sucks
    coin toss ...

sponsored by budweiser ...

aired in prime time ...

during the seventh inning stretch ...

of the AS game ...

done by kate upton wearing a painted on bikini ...

who's with me? :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    coin toss ...

aired in prime time ...

of the AS game ...

I think this is something we can all agree on.
    polaris_x wrote:
    coin toss ...

aired in prime time ...

of the AS game ...

Ditch the paint and it's a perfect solution to just about everything wrong with the world. :D
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,716
    polaris_x wrote:
    coin toss ...

aired in prime time ...

of the AS game ...

Ditch the paint and it's a perfect solution to just about everything wrong with the world. :D

hehe
    MLB and the MLBPA have told teams and agents that milestone bonuses and "personal service" deals are no longer allowed because the milestone bonuses violate rules against bonuses for statistical accomplishments and the personal service deals could be a way to get around having a portion of a contract count towards luxury tax calculations. Existing deals aren't affected but no new deals will be approved if either of those clauses are included.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    MLB and the MLBPA have told teams and agents that milestone bonuses and "personal service" deals are no longer allowed because the milestone bonuses violate rules against bonuses for statistical accomplishments and the personal service deals could be a way to get around having a portion of a contract count towards luxury tax calculations. Existing deals aren't affected but no new deals will be approved if either of those clauses are included.

It's a shame current deals can't be voided. I'm looking at you Arod.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha. how many years left on that beauty?
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The rest of my life, I believe. Thanks Hank
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The rest of my life, I believe. Thanks Hank

I'll give you howard, amaro, and manuel for Arod
    The Fixer wrote:

:lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

what if I throw in polanco, nix, thome, wigginton, pierre, and papelbon?

If they don't score some runs soon for hamels he is going to physically attack one of their position players.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

what if I throw in polanco, nix, thome, wigginton, pierre, and papelbon?

If they don't score some runs soon for hamels he is going to physically attack one of their position players.

Yeah, I'll keep Arod. :lol: The mere mention of Papelbon on the Yankees makes me ill.

Yeah, and rightfully so. Hamels and Lee but I don't mind Lee getting his. Remember, the Yanks are a really old team according to Lee.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    fenway's 100th birthday and the yanks beat down the sox. sounds about right
    The Fixer wrote:
    fenway's 100th birthday and the yanks beat down the sox. sounds about right

Heres to the next 100 being as shitty as the first 100
    Through 7 in Seattle
    3 outs left
    Seatles radio guy is great
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,725
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    3 outs left

i just turned on the Yanks/Sox game on FOX and heard Humber has a a perfect game thru 8.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    3 outs left

i just turned on the Yanks/Sox game on FOX and heard Humber has a a perfect game thru 8.

Looks like Fox is going to switch to that game from Yanks Red Sox. Hope they come back in time I can see the Yanks epic comeback.