MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    do the Nats really think they are that close? ... gonna be a nasty division next year ...
  • Carlos Beltran to the Cardinals and this is what a scout told the SF Chronicle about the prospects

“I don’t know how Oakland could have done better.”

“They got the right set of names,” he said. “Quality and depth.”

and this is an interesting description of those obtained by Oakland:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nat ... onzalez-s/
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Carlos Beltran to the Cardinals and this is what a scout told the SF Chronicle about the prospects

Called that the day Pujols signed with the Angels. Only 2 years, depending on the financials, I kind of wished the Yanks would have looked into it and thought about include Swisher in a package for a pitcher. Hopefully they did.

Terrible trade for Washington. Like I said many times, Gio has walked more batters than any pitcher in baseball over the past 2 years. Beane definitely did well with this one.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Carlos Beltran to the Cardinals and this is what a scout told the SF Chronicle about the prospects

Called that the day Pujols signed with the Angels. Only 2 years, depending on the financials, I kind of wished the Yanks would have looked into it and thought about include Swisher in a package for a pitcher. Hopefully they did.

Terrible trade for Washington. Like I said many times, Gio has walked more batters than any pitcher in baseball over the past 2 years. Beane definitely did well with this one.

Well look at this way, considering the way the A's are going, if these guys are as good as Gonzalez in three years, the Nationals can probably try to trade for them.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Well look at this way, considering the way the A's are going, if these guys are as good as Gonzalez in three years, the Nationals can probably try to trade for them.

Very true, and even if they move to San Jose, these players could be available since it will take some time to build a stadium. Just don't see them competing with the Phillies now but certainly could when some of these kids are in the bigs.

Edit: I thought they were nuts for asking the Yanks for Montero and Banuelos/Betances and they certainly didn't get a Montero but they did damn well.
    2 years, $26 mil. Not too bad.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Makes me feel much better about the Birds' chances next year.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Makes me feel much better about the Birds' chances next year.

Yeah, they should have no problem staying competitive in that division. Especially with Fielder gone and Braun out for 50 games.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    fuck....we give huff $22 for 2 but we can't do a little better to keep beltran? :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    polaris_x wrote:
    do the Nats really think they are that close? ... gonna be a nasty division next year ...

Yes they do and they will win the wild card. They have a great core.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    metsfan wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Yes they do and they will win the wild card. They have a great core.

has the word on the second wild card come down yet? ... if it's just one ... they will have to be better than the marlins ... and with all the divisional games - i think it's gonna be tough ...
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    What a fucking horrible trade for Washington. 3 top 10 prospects for Gio. Quite happy the yanks are not getting involved in this nonsense. These starting pitcher trades are insane

I kinda like it for them. That division is much improved
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    fuck....we give huff $22 for 2 but we can't do a little better to keep beltran? :wtf:

how'd that trade work out for you??

how the fuck did sabean win a title?????? so god damn lucky
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    What a fucking horrible trade for Washington. 3 top 10 prospects for Gio. Quite happy the yanks are not getting involved in this nonsense. These starting pitcher trades are insane

They did give up a lot, but Gio is a very good pitcher.....only 26 and he's just going to get better pitching in the NL. The White Sox traded him TWICE....fuck me.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah I'm glad we didn't make that trade Washington gave up a ton for Gio.
    I don't know guys, I think Gio is a bit overrated, certainly not worth 3 top 10 organizational prospects. The guy has walked more batters than any pitcher in baseball over the past two seasons and I havent looked at his home/road splits but I pretty sure pitching half your games in Oakland isn't going to hurt your numbers. Good pitcher, no doubt, not worth that trade value to me though. The Nats are obviously stacked with prospects so they can afford it and Gio is under control for a while, I just don't think he's that great
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't know guys, I think Gio is a bit overrated, certainly not worth 3 top 10 organizational prospects. The guy has walked more batters than any pitcher in baseball over the past two seasons and I havent looked at his home/road splits but I pretty sure pitching half your games in Oakland isn't going to hurt your numbers. Good pitcher, no doubt, not worth that trade value to me though. The Nats are obviously stacked with prospects so they can afford it and Gio is under control for a while, I just don't think he's that great

yeah, I don't think the guys the nats gave up are anything special. cole is a top prospect. norris could become a starting catcher (he broke the same hamate bone that ended nomars career...his star has taken a hit since that injury). the other guys are nothing special (I know peacock had a good year last year, but most of what I've read on him projects back of rotation or bullpen).

The nats system wasn't that strong before this trade. Adding gio (like him or not) will give them a chance to compete for a playoff spot, which is something they have never done. I don't love the trade either way, but I can see that nats justification for going this route. If they are set on playing harper in RF I think signing fielder makes a ton of sense for them
    Logan Morrison is absolutely awesome

http://twitter.com/lomomarlins

Fucking with people telling them Prince is going to Seattle

Just heard from my boy that Prince to Seattle is a done deal.

Then this stuff on Darvish is great

In real @MLB Hot Stove news, Yu Darvish is dating Kim Kardashian...

Just programmed my DVR to record this springs newest hit reality show Darvish does Dallas! #PoorDebbie #NoHomoJustLoMo

Baseball needs more players like him. Hoping he has a big season.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just programmed my DVR to record this springs newest hit reality show Darvish does Dallas! #PoorDebbie #NoHomoJustLoMo

haha, that is funny.

I love morrison's approach...he's always a tough out. pretty much the opposite of everyone in the phils lineup not named utley
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah, I don't think the guys the nats gave up are anything special. cole is a top prospect. norris could become a starting catcher (he broke the same hamate bone that ended nomars career...his star has taken a hit since that injury). the other guys are nothing special (I know peacock had a good year last year, but most of what I've read on him projects back of rotation or bullpen).

The nats system wasn't that strong before this trade. Adding gio (like him or not) will give them a chance to compete for a playoff spot, which is something they have never done. I don't love the trade either way, but I can see that nats justification for going this route. If they are set on playing harper in RF I think signing fielder makes a ton of sense for them

I hear what you're saying, I am just not all that sold on Gio. Cole is obviously a big prospect and I know there are a lot of mixed opinions on Peacock. There is only one legit prospect in the trade but the others could certainly contribute and be decent big leaguers and like I said, I am just not that big of a fan of Gio. I hate walks. That said, if he continues to put up big numbers, Strasburg, Zimmerman and Gonzalez is a pretty legit rotation.

I guess my point was that any system with Harper and Rendon, is pretty good in my book.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha, that is funny.

I love morrison's approach...he's always a tough out. pretty much the opposite of everyone in the phils lineup not named utley

Yeah, he definitely needs to work on his OBP but that will come with time, I'm sure.
    Was going to post this in the yanks thread but figured I would post it here since I find it pretty awesome. For fenways 100th anniversary in April, the yanks will be wearing old school 1912 uniforms. I find this all kinds of awesome. That will be a lot of fun. Two historic teams, playing Americas pastime in a historic stadium in some old school duds is pretty fucking cool in my book
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Was going to post this in the yanks thread but figured I would post it here since I find it pretty awesome. For fenways 100th anniversary in April, the yanks will be wearing old school 1912 uniforms. I find this all kinds of awesome. That will be a lot of fun. Two historic teams, playing Americas pastime in a historic stadium in some old school duds is pretty fucking cool in my book
    :yawn: ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

fenway blows
    from Buster Olney:

TOP ROTATIONS

1. Phillies

2. Rays

3. Angels (with Jerome Williams as the fifth starter!)

4. Giants

5. Diamondbacks

6. Rangers

7. Tigers

8. Nationals

9. Mariners

10 (tie) Braves, Dodgers

TOP BULLPENS

1. Braves

2. Yankees

3. Giants

4. Indians

5. Diamondbacks

6. Brewers

7. Cardinals

8. Nationals

9. Marlins

10. (tie) Rangers, Phillies, Reds

glad to see the best the dod*ers could do is one tie for 10th :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    imalive wrote:
    from Buster Olney:

TOP ROTATIONS

1. Phillies

2. Rays

3. Angels (with Jerome Williams as the fifth starter!)

4. Giants

5. Diamondbacks

6. Rangers

7. Tigers

8. Nationals

9. Mariners

10 (tie) Braves, Dodgers

TOP BULLPENS

1. Braves

2. Yankees

3. Giants

4. Indians

5. Diamondbacks

6. Brewers

7. Cardinals

8. Nationals

9. Marlins

10. (tie) Rangers, Phillies, Reds

glad to see the best the dod*ers could do is one tie for 10th :lol:

How can the Cardinals not be one of the top rotations? Carpenter/Wainright/Garcie is a pretty fuckin awesome top half if you ask me
    DewieCox wrote:

How can the Cardinals not be one of the top rotations? Carpenter/Wainright/Garcie is a pretty fuckin awesome top half if you ask me
    maybe Buster had them at #11 :? :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    this is hilarious...I knew dunn had an epicly bad season....but since no one gives two shits about the white sox, I didn't know how truly bad it was...

Did Adam Dunn's season really happen -- I mean, in real life? I've seen the numbers, printed on actual paper, so apparently it did. But really, friends, it ought to be impossible to do all this:

• On his road to hitting a mind-rattling .159, this guy had more trips to the plate when he DIDN'T put a ball in play (256) than trips when he did (240).

• He had 52 multi-strikeout games but only 12 multi-hit games. Seriously.

• He got six hits all season -- six -- against left-handed pitchers (in 94 at-bats). Just for comparison's sake, Adrian Gonzalez (who also bats left-handed, last time we looked) got six hits off left-handed pitchers in one SERIES (June 20-22 against the Cubs).

• Other than May, when the Dunner hit a not exactly Ty Cobb-esque .204, he never had a batting average higher than .160 IN ANY MONTH.

• You realize that Dunn went into this season with a higher career slugging percentage (.521) than Gonzalez, Paul Konerko and Troy Tulowitzki (among billions of others), right? You can look that up. He then went out and slugged an incomprehensible .277. That was 50 points worse than Juan Pierre, 63 behind Willie Bloomquist, 69 back of Aaron Miles and 82 lower than Elvis Andrus. You can look that up, too.

• This man had 111 more strikeouts (177) than hits (66). So how many other American Leaguers in history have had 100 more whiffs than hits in a season? That would be nada, obviously.

• And one more thing: If you ignore little technicalities like decimal points, Dunn's batting average (.159) was lower than his strikeout total (177). Other than Mark Reynolds, who pulled that off in 2010, no position player has ever done that in a season where he got more than 40 -- yes, 40 -- plate appearances. And with good reason!

gotta love those guaranteed contracts! :wtf:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

maybe Buster had them at #11 :? :lol:

who are 4 and 5? rotation = 5 starters
    Who are the phillies 4th and 5th starters?