MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    steroids are banned because of their adverse affects on health ... sure, in some instances - they can help a person recover but once that recovery has occurred - they don't continue to take those steroids ... sure, it's ok to think that if someone wants to put their health at risk ... it's their choice ... but it changes the playing field for those who do not wish to put their health at risk ... should we have a league that only caters to those who are willing to do that?

we do have that league. they play games once a week...mostly on sundays
    awesome :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The Braun story is probably the most interesting case in a long time. He's not the stereotypical overly-muscular type in the style of McGwire, Sosa, or Bonds. He didn't have any sort of odd improvement in his numbers this year. In fact, his numbers were all pretty similar to his career averages. His batting average was a career-high, but none of his other major offensive numbers were his best aside from stolen bases. I saw a report that said he immediately requested another test when he was informed of the positive test and the 2nd test was clean. I don't know how much time passed between the 2 tests, so it's hard to say if that's anything that points to his innocence or not but it's interesting if that did indeed happen.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,929
    The Braun story is probably the most interesting case in a long time. He's not the stereotypical overly-muscular type in the style of McGwire, Sosa, or Bonds. He didn't have any sort of odd improvement in his numbers this year. In fact, his numbers were all pretty similar to his career averages. His batting average was a career-high, but none of his other major offensive numbers were his best aside from stolen bases. I saw a report that said he immediately requested another test when he was informed of the positive test and the 2nd test was clean. I don't know how much time passed between the 2 tests, so it's hard to say if that's anything that points to his innocence or not but it's interesting if that did indeed happen.

Who's to say he hasn't been taking them all along? And his on-base was nearly .400, the highest it's ever been.
  • He may have been on them all along, but he's played his whole career in the testing era and never failed a test before, so it's more likely that he's been clean up until now. It doesn't automatically mean he's innocent now, I just find the consistency in his numbers intersting in this case. Yes, his OBP was higher, but that's because his average was 8 points above his career high and he walked twice as many times as he did the year he hit .324 but his walks are in line with the previous 2 seasons. If you look at his numbers, nothing is suspicious about this year. That combined with his supposed clean 2nd test and the leaks that it might be overturned are unusual compared to other players' failed tests. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
    The Braun story is probably the most interesting case in a long time. He's not the stereotypical overly-muscular type in the style of McGwire, Sosa, or Bonds. He didn't have any sort of odd improvement in his numbers this year. In fact, his numbers were all pretty similar to his career averages. His batting average was a career-high, but none of his other major offensive numbers were his best aside from stolen bases. I saw a report that said he immediately requested another test when he was informed of the positive test and the 2nd test was clean. I don't know how much time passed between the 2 tests, so it's hard to say if that's anything that points to his innocence or not but it's interesting if that did indeed happen.

Who's to say he hasn't been taking them all along? And his on-base was nearly .400, the highest it's ever been.
    The only reason I think it could have a chance at being overturned is because the information was supposed to be confidential since it was conducted under the previous labor agreement. I'm sure the players' union will be able to address that in a way that could benefit Braun.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I don't think the leak will help him at all. If that helped his case, agents would just start leaking this every time it happens. It sounds like a really bizarre situation and I don't really see how he is fighting it, from what I have read, is going to get it overturned. It sounds like his testostorone was insanely high, like double the highest levels ever seen and unsafe high. that makes me think something is strange.

It sounds like he is fighting it by trying to prove everything he ingested in the time leading up to the test, which I don't think will help him. Since they could very easily just leave whatever drug/supplement out. I think the only chance he has, is if the World Anti-Doping Agency comes back and says the test was a false positive or a result that can't be trusted.

Will be interesting to see. I could be wrong, but I can't see it being overturned. He has to have a 100% fool proof case, otherwise reversing it will set a bad precedent for baseball.
    Aramis Ramirez to the Brewers
    there is certainly no media frenzy....I had colin cowherd on earlier....he barely mentioned it. now, the scott van pelt show...nearly an hour in....hasn't been mentioned.

nfl is king.

edit: scott van pelt did MAYBE two minutes on it.....with bonds, steroids shit OPENED sportscenter for months. yeah, I know it's not really the same thing, but still...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    $14M for furcal?? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    look out, fuckers! the midget fontenot has been re-signed :lol:

tumblr_lklfnqVRUs1qamk8p.gif

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Rumors that the Rangers were in the $40's and the Jays may have gone above $50 for Darvish.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Rumors that the Rangers were in the $40's and the Jays may have gone above $50 for Darvish.
    that's just the fee? the salary is on top of that? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, that's just the fee that goes to his current team for letting him walk. Pretty crazy. The good thing about the fee is that it doesn't go towards the luxury tax for teams.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, that's just the fee that goes to his current team for letting him walk. Pretty crazy. The good thing about the fee is that it doesn't go towards the luxury tax for teams.
    so....are your boys "in it"?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Another overrated Japanese player... :?:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Another overrated Japanese player... :?:

What I don't get is why MLB teams continuously keep posting these exorbitant amounts after what history tells them. I don't get it.
    imalive wrote:
    so....are your boys "in it"?

They posted a bid but it doesnt look like they are going to win it. Too bad, I thought he would have been a great pickup for them. Hopefully they know more than me :P

What I don't get is why MLB teams continuously keep posting these exorbitant amounts after what history tells them. I don't get it.

I don't know about this one. I have read a lot of scouting reports and watched him pitch once, which was really hard to tell since I have no idea about the level of competition, but the dude seems really good. And the posting fee doesn't go toward the luxury tax which is why I have no clue why the Yankees aren't more involved.

The biggest thing I would be worried about with him is the transisition from pitching once a week to every 5 days. And he is constantly tweaking his delivery on his own, which I am sure won't fly with big league pitching coaches so it will be interesting to see how that works out. Dude seems legit though and it sounds like he got a lot better in the past year.

the first:

1965-BB-TS1-282-NA_F_285x412.jpg

he was pretty studly until the japanese commish demanded him back :cry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't know about this one. I have read a lot of scouting reports and watched him pitch once, which was really hard to tell since I have no idea about the level of competition, but the dude seems really good. And the posting fee doesn't go toward the luxury tax which is why I have no clue why the Yankees aren't more involved.

The biggest thing I would be worried about with him is the transisition from pitching once a week to every 5 days. And he is constantly tweaking his delivery on his own, which I am sure won't fly with big league pitching coaches so it will be interesting to see how that works out. Dude seems legit though and it sounds like he got a lot better in the past year.

Yeah, but I'm just saying every one of these dudes were never that good and were wayyyy overpriced? I mean Nomo had some bright spots, and Ichiro is probably the only one to more than exceed the price tag I wouldn't do it. Was Matsui posted or did he just come over?

Yeah, but I'm just saying every one of these dudes were never that good and were wayyyy overpriced? I mean Nomo had some bright spots, and Ichiro is probably the only one to more than exceed the price tag I wouldn't do it. Was Matsui posted or did he just come over?

I hear you and most of them have been a disappointment, I am just buying into the hype on this kid. 25 and hasn't posted an ERA over 2 since 2006. Kuroda has to be one of the best pitchers to come over, and I think he was just a free agent. Ichiro is definitely the best Japanese player ever. I think Matsui was just a free agent. He was a bit older when he came over.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you and most of them have been a disappointment, I am just buying into the hype on this kid. 25 and hasn't posted an ERA over 2 since 2006. Kuroda has to be one of the best pitchers to come over, and I think he was just a free agent. Ichiro is definitely the best Japanese player ever. I think Matsui was just a free agent. He was a bit older when he came over.

I'm just saying just for the act of how much they have to pay just for their rights to negotiate is absurd.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm just saying just for the act of how much they have to pay just for their rights to negotiate is absurd.

No doubt, it's insane and something has got to change.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    posting system will go away ... why? ... because the agents hate it ... all that coin and they don't get a cut ...

anyways ... i would say darvish goes for $52 million ...

edit: darvish will be announced on tuesday
    polaris_x wrote:
    posting system will go away ... why? ... because the agents hate it ... all that coin and they don't get a cut ...

anyways ... i would say darvish goes for $52 million ...

edit: darvish will be announced on tuesday

Yeah, it's goign to go away eventually. I know Boras proposed an interesting idea where the team gets a percentage of the contract depending on how many years they have left in Japan, the longer they have, the more they get.

To the Blue Jays? That's one million more than Dice K, right?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, it's goign to go away eventually. I know Boras proposed an interesting idea where the team gets a percentage of the contract depending on how many years they have left in Japan, the longer they have, the more they get.

i'd love for the jays to land him but logic dictates that won't happen ... AA likes every player - AT A PRICE ... as with top tier FA ... they are overpriced and thus it is more likely that a team like say the Rangers will put in a bid that is well above "market" ...

edit: ya ... i think dice-k was in the low $50's ... but i think the next highest bidder was a full $10 mill lower ... so, hard to say that is the benchmark ... thestar here is pegging him at $30 - $70 which is a joke of a range ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'd love for the jays to land him but logic dictates that won't happen ... AA likes every player - AT A PRICE ... as with top tier FA ... they are overpriced and thus it is more likely that a team like say the Rangers will put in a bid that is well above "market" ...

I hear you, but he is going to be at your price, aside from the posting fee, which should be nothing with the owners they have. His contact is going to fit right into what AA likes, no more than 5 years.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I hear you, but he is going to be at your price, aside from the posting fee, which should be nothing with the owners they have. His contact is going to fit right into what AA likes, no more than 5 years.

ya ... the non-hit on luxury tax, no compensatory draft picks, etc ... are all up AA's alley but rich owners aside - we don't draw like other big market teams ... so, the money has to bring fans in ... if we had a huge japanese/iranian community ... maybe ... but not likely ...

who knows ... love to be wrong ... we need to do something ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

ya ... the non-hit on luxury tax, no compensatory draft picks, etc ... are all up AA's alley but rich owners aside - we don't draw like other big market teams ... so, the money has to bring fans in ... if we had a huge japanese/iranian community ... maybe ... but not likely ...

who knows ... love to be wrong ... we need to do something ...

True true, but winning brings fans in and while it is a big investment, that team is getting close and adding a legit 25 year old pitcher can't hurt. Not sure it's going to happen, just saying it makes sense. You know how much I have been hoping the Yankees get him.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    True true, but winning brings fans in and while it is a big investment, that team is getting close and adding a legit 25 year old pitcher can't hurt. Not sure it's going to happen, just saying it makes sense. You know how much I have been hoping the Yankees get him.

translation: rangers or mariners get darvish ... :lol: