MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    polaris_x wrote:

i'd love for the jays to land him but logic dictates that won't happen ... AA likes every player

I could google....but who's AA?

my GM is BS :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

i'd love for the jays to land him but logic dictates that won't happen ... AA likes every player

Alex Anthopoulos
    imalive wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Alex Anthopoulos
    I was thinking I'd go "oh, yeah!".....but I've never heard of the guy :lol: . another "boy wonder"?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    edited December 2011
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Alex Anthopoulos
    I was thinking I'd go "oh, yeah!".....but I've never heard of the guy :lol: . another "boy wonder"?
    He's the Blue Jays GM. He's pretty much viewed as the saving grace for the Jays. Their farm system was horrible when he took over and now its one of the best.

It seems like Rogers had the Blue Jays tank on purpose though.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/m ... _of_o.html
    Post edited by tvismyfriend on
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,929
    imalive wrote:

Alex Anthopoulos
    He's the Blue Jays GM. He's pretty much viewed as the saving grace for the Jays. Their farm system was horrible when he took over and now its one of the best.[/quote]

Not to mention all the solid trades he's made. I think this season is to see where they're at - because to me it's getting to the point that now everything's all lined up for the most part, now let's just see whether they start living up to the potential sooner than later. Because I wouldn't just say they've been built to contend 4-5 years from now. 2013 would be an expected start.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    imalive wrote:

we like his moves so far ... some of his moves:

shawn marcum for brett lawrie
    alex gonzales for yunel escobar
    the unloading of vernon wells contract (this done based on only having 2 teams to trade with)
    restocking our farm system to the point where its one of the deepest
    signing of jose bautista
    polaris_x wrote:
    the unloading of vernon wells contract (this done based on only having 2 teams to trade with)
    that was strong work there.

I need our GM to call yours to get pointers on how to do the same with zito :x

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Not to mention all the solid trades he's made. I think this season is to see where they're at - because to me it's getting to the point that now everything's all lined up for the most part, now let's just see whether they start living up to the potential sooner than later. Because I wouldn't just say they've been built to contend 4-5 years from now. 2013 would be an expected start.
    It might be a little much expecting them to start contending in 2013. Last season they're rotation was supposed to improve, but it seemed to take a step back.
    It might be a little much expecting them to start contending in 2013. Last season they're rotation was supposed to improve, but it seemed to take a step back.

actually ... they finished where we thought they were ... we traded our ace over the summer ... having said that - the rotation was adequate ... the team had 29 blown saves ... some kind of record i think ... if we converted a third of those - we would have been in the wild card hunt ...

as far as the fans go - the expectations are definitely that this team will compete for a playoff spot this year at the very least ... another .500 season will not likely cut it ...
  • polaris_x wrote:

actually ... they finished where we thought they were ... we traded our ace over the summer ... having said that - the rotation was adequate ... the team had 29 blown saves ... some kind of record i think ... if we converted a third of those - we would have been in the wild card hunt ...

as far as the fans go - the expectations are definitely that this team will compete for a playoff spot this year at the very least ... another .500 season will not likely cut it ...
    Maybe my expectations were too high then. I was expecting Morrow to have and ERA under four, Cecil to be somewhat around four, and Drabek to play his first full season.
    Maybe my expectations were too high then. I was expecting Morrow to have and ERA under four, Cecil to be somewhat around 4, and Drabek to play his first full season.

yeah ... i think i posted in the jays thread that .500 would be a good year ... cecil and drabek were definitely disappointments ... morrow's era is a bit misleading as he was jeckyl and hyde all season ... he could throw a shutout and then get dinged for 5 runs in 3 IP ... he needs to learn how to gut out innings when he doesn't have his good stuff (much like what halladay learned) ...
    Not to mention all the solid trades he's made. I think this season is to see where they're at - because to me it's getting to the point that now everything's all lined up for the most part, now let's just see whether they start living up to the potential sooner than later. Because I wouldn't just say they've been built to contend 4-5 years from now. 2013 would be an expected start.

By contending that means to make a run at a spot for the 2nd wildcard. If they can't be in that race then something's wrong. They haven't just brought in prospects with high ceilings here, they have players that are expected to play at a high level already on their roster.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    Maybe my expectations were too high then. I was expecting Morrow to have and ERA under four, Cecil to be somewhat around 4, and Drabek to play his first full season.

yeah ... i think i posted in the jays thread that .500 would be a good year ... cecil and drabek were definitely disappointments ... morrow's era is a bit misleading as he was jeckyl and hyde all season ... he could throw a shutout and then get dinged for 5 runs in 3 IP ... he needs to learn how to gut out innings when he doesn't have his good stuff (much like what halladay learned) ...
    Exactly, I was hoping he'd be more Hyde and occasionally Jeckyl. He seemed to have figured it out near the end of 2010 and he had a good spring training last season. An era between 3.5 and 4 seemed reasonable.
    By contending that means to make a run at a spot for the 2nd wildcard. If they can't be in that race then something's wrong. They haven't just brought in prospects with high ceilings here, they have players that are expected to play at a high level already on their roster.
    That's true about their offense, but their pitching is still a bit of a question mark.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I hear you, but he is going to be at your price, aside from the posting fee, which should be nothing with the owners they have. His contact is going to fit right into what AA likes, no more than 5 years.

ya ... the non-hit on luxury tax, no compensatory draft picks, etc ... are all up AA's alley but rich owners aside - we don't draw like other big market teams ... so, the money has to bring fans in ... if we had a huge japanese/iranian community ... maybe ... but not likely ...

who knows ... love to be wrong ... we need to do something ...

winning will bring the fans out. if AA continues to make smart decisions they will be playing in front of big crowds soon. darvish and romero give them two solid top of the rotation guys

AA has done a fantastic job. riccardi was such a moron
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

signing of jose bautista

the rasmus trade could turn out to be the best of all.

also, the reports on the guys AA got for halladay have been solid. once mescarasco hits the majors next year d'arnaud will be the top rated catching prospect in baseball. there was even a recent rumor that the phils reached out to the jays to try and get him back (not going to happen since the phils now have nothing to trade...unless the jays want dom brown)
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

signing of jose bautista

also, the reports on the guys AA got for halladay have been solid. once mescarasco hits the majors next year d'arnaud will be the top rated catching prospect in baseball. there was even a recent rumor that the phils reached out to the jays to try and get him back (not going to happen since the phils now have nothing to trade...unless the jays want dom brown)

I wouldn't rule that totally out since they have Arencibia.
    The Fixer wrote:

i was just reading about the rasmus trade on fangraphs ... i think the cards are happy with jay/craig vs. rasmus ... i think he's a major clog on the wheel next year for the jays to succeed ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i was just reading about the rasmus trade on fangraphs ... i think the cards are happy with jay/craig vs. rasmus ... i think he's a major clog on the wheel next year for the jays to succeed ...

yeah, most of what I have read is that jay isn't an everyday CF. Craig can only play the corners. I like that trade a lot for the jays. Still can't believe the cards won it all :evil:
    well ... "reports" have the jays as the highest bidder for darvish ... somewhere in the $40 to $50 range ... :shock:

it's also suspected in these parts that if we did land darvish - that we would increase payroll again with another signing ... we shall see ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    well ... "reports" have the jays as the highest bidder for darvish ... somewhere in the $40 to $50 range ... :shock:

it's also suspected in these parts that if we did land darvish - that we would increase payroll again with another signing ... we shall see ...
    Dare I dream, Fielder. This could be a good team.

I don't get why they're going to wait until the deadline to announce it. It's not like they're sitting over there debating whether they should turn down the offer.
    Dare I dream, Fielder. This could be a good team.

I don't get why they're going to wait until the deadline to announce it. It's not like they're sitting over there debating whether they should turn down the offer.

yeah ... they get like a week to decide if they are gonna accept the bid ... which is kinda weird considering when they post the player - they must have a number in mind ... oh well ... guess we will have to wait ...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Son of a... Had a feeling that was going to be the case once the reports started trickling out right after the bids were due.

Yankees sound like they may start focusing on Kuroda. I approve :thumbup:
    Almost $32 million for Cuddyer. Way too much money.
    This should mean we hear about Rollins resigning any time now.
  • I'm sure the Twins will miss his versatility but I also think they don't mind saving about $3 million per year by signing Willingham for what figures to be about equal production, if not better. An odd thing about Willingham is that he was actually a better offensive player at home in Oakland than on the road last year. He hit 15 of his 29 HRs at home, hit .260 vs. .233, and slugged .523 vs. .435. He had more HRs, RBI, and runs at home than he did on the road and did it in 18 fewer AB at home. I would have thought his numbers would be better on the road since the Coliseum is a pitcher's park.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I'm sure the Twins will miss his versatility but I also think they don't mind saving about $3 million per year by signing Willingham for what figures to be about equal production, if not better. An odd thing about Willingham is that he was actually a better offensive player at home in Oakland than on the road last year. He hit 15 of his 29 HRs at home, hit .260 vs. .233, and slugged .523 vs. .435. He had more HRs, RBI, and runs at home than he did on the road and did it in 18 fewer AB at home. I would have thought his numbers would be better on the road since the Coliseum is a pitcher's park.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Pretty crazy about his splits. I didn't realize that. Don't think the Twins are much worse off, if at all. Willingham did have the lowest OPS of his career last year due to a big time drop in OBP which is slighly concerning.
  • Bonds was sentenced to 30 days house arrest and 2 years probation.
    Bonds was sentenced to 30 days house arrest and 2 years probation.

his non-inclusion into the HOF is justice enough ...
  • Did the Marlins know they wouldnt end up with Pujols?
    Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldnt they go after Fielder now? I hear they arent pursuing him.

What is everybodys guess when Fielder will make a decision, and where will he go?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Did the Marlins know they wouldnt end up with Pujols?
    Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldnt they go after Fielder now? I hear they arent pursuing him.

What is everybodys guess when Fielder will make a decision, and where will he go?

Who knows. Seems like they just wanted the name and the hispanic connection. Fielder would make more sense from a baseball perspective.

Who knows? Cubs?