MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• For us in S.Fla, It would be nice to see Pujols in a Marlins uniform, but I just cant picture it.
    They really do need a big name to get things rolling with that new stadium though.
    I've been to maybe 3-4 games since 2000. I know I'd be going a lot more if this Pujols deal happens. Maybe Marlins attendance numbers will finally exceed the local high schools! ;)

I guess Reyes doesn't count....

No, he counts...but nowhere near a Pujols caliber.
    you're talking a guy who had a good year vs. a HOFer and maybe the best baseball player in the last decade. Apples and oranges.

This is why baseball teams never should've been put in Florida. Complete fair weather fans. Reyes, Stanton, Morrison and Johnson and 2 championships aren't enough. We need Pujols too. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    If you're saying it takes solely a hall of famer to be on your squad to make a difference then that stadium/team is fucked.

No doubt, even without Pujols, if they can't sell tickets this year, they're fucked. They have an exciting team as is in a new stadium
  • I guess Reyes doesn't count....

No, he counts...but nowhere near a Pujols caliber.
    you're talking a guy who had a good year vs. a HOFer and maybe the best baseball player in the last decade. Apples and oranges.

If you're saying it takes solely a hall of famer to be on your squad to make a difference then that stadium/team is fucked.

No, not necessarily...
    I should've been more clear. Yeah, Stanton is good and fun to watch, andt the team as it is now excites me...but I live an hour away from Miami. And there just arent baseball fans that make it out to the park unless they're in contention. If I lived closer, I'd go all the time (if I could afford it), but now with a few (and potential) big names added, the draw is more enticing.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I know a lot of fans that loved going to Marlins games in the past, but didnt go because of the heat coupled with the threat of rain. Its rains non-stop here in august sometimes.
    But now with the new stadium (w/roof), some of those people will make it out. Crowds will be excited about the new stadium for a few years. But the way this team was managed from the top of the past few years was pretty bad. Hopefully that will turn around.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932

No, not necessarily...
    I should've been more clear. Yeah, Stanton is good and fun to watch, andt the team as it is now excites me...but I live an hour away from Miami. And there just arent baseball fans that make it out to the park unless they're in contention. If I lived closer, I'd go all the time (if I could afford it), but now with a few (and potential) big names added, the draw is more enticing.

It's just a different universe compared to a bunch of sports psychos like my city - just not the same passion. I hope there's a shit load of high-end stores in that plaza that's going to be there.

It'll be different, though, because the Dolphins were getting all the revenue in that stadium.
    Oh, and you should be excited, there's a lot of quality players on that team.
  • I know a lot of fans that loved going to Marlins games in the past, but didnt go because of the heat coupled with the threat of rain. Its rains non-stop here in august sometimes.
    But now with the new stadium (w/roof), some of those people will make it out. Crowds will be excited about the new stadium for a few years. But the way this team was managed from the top of the past few years was pretty bad. Hopefully that will turn around.

Mgt is terrible but that team has almost always had some very exciting players worth the (I'm sure it wasn't very high) price of admission.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I know a lot of fans that loved going to Marlins games in the past, but didnt go because of the heat coupled with the threat of rain. Its rains non-stop here in august sometimes.

Mgt is terrible but that team has almost always had some very exciting players worth the (I'm sure it wasn't very high) price of admission.

And I was just checking out prices to the new park. Prices are still not bad at all.

• No, not necessarily...

It's just a different universe compared to a bunch of sports psychos like my city - just not the same passion. I hope there's a shit load of high-end stores in that plaza that's going to be there.

It'll be different, though, because the Dolphins were getting all the revenue in that stadium.

There's definitely a lack of passion in sports here. I dont know why. Maybe its the feeling that its too business-like and often times when they win, the team gets disbanded the following year. We havent really been able to latch onto a star who stuck around for extended peroid...
    The old stadium was also in a weird place. I thought they should've put the new one in ft. lauderdale. That way, fans as far north as West palm beach would have better access. Miami just isnt into baseball for some reason.

Weekend packages are the way to go. I am about 2 hours from Yankee Stadium and make it to 10-15 games a year, and it's not overwhelming in the least. That said, I am not married or anything and have no responsibilities.
    3 years $25 mil is what it sounds like the Twins are offering Cuddyer.
    Seems kind of crazy he wouldn't give St Louis a chance to match

•The Cardinals do not expect to get an opportunity to match or beat an offer from another team before Pujols accepts, hears Derrick Goold of the Post-Dispatch.
    St Louis is offering Poop Holes 9 years at like 22 mil/year and Miami is 10 yrs @ 20. If you're Albert, why would you leave?
    On a semi-related note, did anyone see this? http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... lb-wp27760

Haha.
    St Louis is offering Poop Holes 9 years at like 22 mil/year and Miami is 10 yrs @ 20. If you're Albert, why would you leave?

Yeah, I don't know. Gotta be trying to get a 10th year from St Louis. I know someone said 50-50 this morning but I can't see him leaving
    On a semi-related note, did anyone see this? http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... lb-wp27760

Haha.

That's awesome.
  • As much as I'd love to see Pujols play for the Marlins (and personally try to go to games on a regular basis to see a great lineup), I'd almost rather Pujols stay where he is or go to a serious team (one that isnt a bandwagon team with fans)..

btw, Cliffy, yankess are my team too..I would do anything to see them on a regular basis if I was in the NE.
    that said, have any of you been on I-95 in south Florida in rush hour? :evil: it sucks donkey nards.
    As much as I'd love to see Pujols play for the Marlins (and personally try to go to games on a regular basis to see a great lineup), I'd almost rather Pujols stay where he is or go to a serious team (one that isnt a bandwagon team with fans)..

btw, Cliffy, yankess are my team too..I would do anything to see them on a regular basis if I was in the NE.
    that said, have any of you been on I-95 in south Florida in rush hour? :evil: it sucks donkey nards.

Ah, yeah, man, I remember you were a Yanks fan. I was more referring to the fans down there in general and getting to games. I think he's going to end up staying in St Louis, they just needed some competition to boost their offer. I'll say he'll "settle" for 10 years, $22 million.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    As much as I'd love to see Pujols play for the Marlins (and personally try to go to games on a regular basis to see a great lineup), I'd almost rather Pujols stay where he is or go to a serious team (one that isnt a bandwagon team with fans)..

Ah, yeah, man, I remember you were a Yanks fan. I was more referring to the fans down there in general and getting to games. I think he's going to end up staying in St Louis, they just needed some competition to boost their offer. I'll say he'll "settle" for 10 years, $22 million.

They all root for bandwagon NE teams Cliffy, or are transplants who don't care about the Marlins.

This is kind of pot calling kettle black, because Citizens Park is chock full of bandwagoners.

• Cliffy6745 wrote:

They all root for bandwagon NE teams Cliffy, or are transplants who don't care about the Marlins.

This is kind of pot calling kettle black, because Citizens Park is chock full of bandwagoners.
    I was born in New Jersey and my whole family was Yankee fans. I grew up watching them and following them from day one because of my grandfather. He used to tell me about going to the stadium and how exciting game days were. Legacy goes a long way.
    And if you go to a Yankees/Marlins game here in Miami, yes, its scary how many more Yankee fans show up. Smae with Jets/dolphins...I think half of the NE is down here. maybe thats why nobody can root for the Marlins. :D
    Marlins offer is over $200 mil and Olney says they will get past the no trade hurdle. This is going to get fun. I love this stuff.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I think he's going to end up staying in St Louis, they just needed some competition to boost their offer. I'll say he'll "settle" for 10 years, $22 million.

the cards would be much smarter to say "good luck, Al...see ya later." I mean, TEN years? :shock: :shock: the guy is not very sprightly even now.

edit: but you're a yankee fan, so money really has no meaning to you ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I think he's going to end up staying in St Louis, they just needed some competition to boost their offer. I'll say he'll "settle" for 10 years, $22 million.

the cards would be much smarter to say "good luck, Al...see ya later." I mean, TEN years? :shock: :shock: the guy is not very sprightly even now.

edit: but you're a yankee fan, so money really has no meaning to you ;)

Yeah, will be interesting to see how high both teams will go. 10 years is insane for him.

haha, yeah, looks like the Yankees are going to get their payroll down to $189 million in 2014 though with the new CBA.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    the cardinals would be just fine w/o him.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    There's your closer, Polaris
    Looks like we're getting a Pujols answer today. Not every day we get a player like this signing a new contract.
  • Ken Rosenthal is now reporting that the Marlins won't relent on a no-trade clause and Pujols will want a "significant deterrent" if he can't get that clause.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Marlins offer is over $200 mil and Olney says they will get past the no trade hurdle. This is going to get fun. I love this stuff.
    Ken Rosenthal is now reporting that the Marlins won't relent on a no-trade clause and Pujols will want a "significant deterrent" if he can't get that clause.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

A $200 million contract isn't enough deterrent? ha, I can't wait to see how this plays out. Always wanted Pujols to stay in St. Louis but I am kind of pulling for the Marlins in this one.
    Some guy I never heard of is saying the Marlins think they are getting him.

While I said I was pulling for the Marlins, if this does happen, I feel as bad as I can possibly feel for a team that is defending champs.