MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

I love that guy. Sorry to see him go to the AL. I wish the Mets or Braves would've signed him. :lol:

I would have much rather taken broxton and his contract than papelturd and his albatross of a deal

I'd rather have neither of them.

Broxton for one year doesn't kill you. Papeldouche for 5 years does

can't believe I'm gonna have to cheer for that clown :thumbdown:
  • From what I've read, Broxton will be a set-up guy for Soria and the Royals could be looking to move Broxton or another bullpen arm near the trade deadline. Of course, if Broxton doesn't return to his 2009 form, he's just a waste of $4 million with no trade value.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Royals signed Broxton to a 1-year deal pending a physical. I'm assuming he won't be closing.

Seems strange. Royals have some flexibility with Soria now, I guess.

they have broxton and jeffress waiting in the wings. gotta figure soria is getting moved before or during the season
    From what I've read, Broxton will be a set-up guy for Soria and the Royals could be looking to move Broxton or another bullpen arm near the trade deadline. Of course, if Broxton doesn't return to his 2009 form, he's just a waste of $4 million with no trade value.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Seems strange. Royals have some flexibility with Soria now, I guess.

they have broxton and jeffress waiting in the wings. gotta figure soria is getting moved before or during the season

yeah, jeffress is their closer of the future if he can stay off the green. they seem to have a good plan. I'd sell high on soria (I know he didn't have the best year last year, but his trade value is still high) if I were KC.

broxton is a good sign for them. if he rebounds, they can move him for pieces. if he flops, it's not a lot of money wasted. smart move
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, jeffress is their closer of the future if he can stay off the green. they seem to have a good plan. I'd sell high on soria (I know he didn't have the best year last year, but his trade value is still high) if I were KC.

broxton is a good sign for them. if he rebounds, they can move him for pieces. if he flops, it's not a lot of money wasted. smart move

Yankees offered them Montero for Soria back in the day I think.
  • The Fixer wrote:

Why are you fighting with me? I told you I hate the Papelboner signing.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

Fighting? really? all I said was I'd take the broxton deal over the papelbon deal
  • The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Fighting? really? all I said was I'd take the broxton deal over the papelbon deal

I said I wouldn't want either. Pretty sure Broxton is all washed up already. Boner prob has something left in the tank; the deal will turn out terribly though. I can't stand that guy. I had kind of forgotten about that contract and now I'm pissed again. :evil:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

I said I wouldn't want either. Pretty sure Broxton is all washed up already. Boner prob has something left in the tank; the deal will turn out terribly though. I can't stand that guy. I had kind of forgotten about that contract and now I'm pissed again. :evil:

I look at it this way...broxton is a guy gillick would have tried to sign. papelbon is a guy amaro wanted to sign. huge difference in philosophies (one worked, the other well...)

broxton may be washed up. he's still young though (think he's only 27 or 28) and his contract is low risk, high reward. I'd be all over guys like that to fill my bullpen.

I agree with your theory that closers are overrated
    Relievers are getting paid this year. Damn
  • ESPN is reporting that the Marlins will sign Heath bell to a 3-year deal for $27 million with a vesting option for a 4th year (not sure what will make the option kick in).
    ESPN is reporting that the Marlins will sign Heath bell to a 3-year deal for $27 million with a vesting option for a 4th year (not sure what will make the option kick in).

Thats what I mean, damn, $27 million for Bell, $40 something mil for the jerkoff, $4 mil for Broxton. Big money for relievers.
    Other news with the winter meetings coming up. Should see a lot of stuff going down in the next week.

Yankees sound like they aren't going to get anything done at the winter meetings

Nationals going to go hard after Wilson

Marlins upping their offer to Reyes.

Should be a lot of fun. I love this stuff.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Other news with the winter meetings coming up. Should see a lot of stuff going down in the next week.

Yankees sound like they aren't going to get anything done at the winter meetings

White Sox will be trading just about everybody that they can. I expect Danks, Quentin, and Thornton to all be gone. Maybe Floyd too. You think anyone is interested in Dunn or Rios?? ha
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

White Sox will be trading just about everybody that they can. I expect Danks, Quentin, and Thornton to all be gone. Maybe Floyd too. You think anyone is interested in Dunn or Rios?? ha

Yeah, meant to mention that. Yanks could match up well with the Whtie Sox for Floyd, Danks or Thornton. Yanks could use any of them. Ha, it's hard to believe how bad Dunn was.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, meant to mention that. Yanks could match up well with the Whtie Sox for Floyd, Danks or Thornton. Yanks could use any of them. Ha, it's hard to believe how bad Dunn was.

Apparently Kenny Williams is asking the world for Danks. He will get something nice in return for him. Unfortunately for Sox fans, it's a rebuilding year for sure. I still can't believe Robin Ventura is our manager...I sometimes forget that actually happened.

Oh man, Dunn was a fucking mess. I almost felt bad for the guy at the end of the season...he had no clue up there. But then I remembered that he was making $14 million this year and stopped feeling bad.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Apparently Kenny Williams is asking the world for Danks. He will get something nice in return for him. Unfortunately for Sox fans, it's a rebuilding year for sure. I still can't believe Robin Ventura is our manager...I sometimes forget that actually happened.

Oh man, Dunn was a fucking mess. I almost felt bad for the guy at the end of the season...he had no clue up there. But then I remembered that he was making $14 million this year and stopped feeling bad.

Yeah, I am not surpised at that at all. Cashman has stated that teams are asking for way too much right now, so I assume he is included and I am sure they have spoken. I can't believe he is either, such a bizarre hiring. No managerial experience, anywhere.

haha, yeah, hard to feel bad for a guy probably making my annual salary in a few at bats.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    ESPN is reporting that the Marlins will sign Heath bell to a 3-year deal for $27 million with a vesting option for a 4th year (not sure what will make the option kick in).

Thats what I mean, damn, $27 million for Bell, $40 something mil for the jerkoff, $4 mil for Broxton. Big money for relievers.

the bell contract is a bargain compared to what amaro gave papelnerd
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I would love the phillies to go after thornton
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the bell contract is a bargain compared to what amaro gave papelnerd

Absolutely, still a lot for a reliever though.
    for the people

The New York Yankees may or may not be active this winter because it appears their organizational philosophy has evolved along these lines: They will not trade their better prospects for second-tier options. In other words, they probably aren't going to be aggressive in going after someone such as Chicago White Sox lefty John Danks, who has had some success but is eligible for free agency after next season.

But the Yankees also have shown themselves to be fully prepared to load up in a deal for a superstar difference-making player. They repeatedly check in with the Seattle Mariners about Felix Hernandez; they would love to take a shot at Clayton Kershaw; and, if and when the Cincinnati Reds decide to move Joey Votto, the Yankees may well be aggressive and at least consider the possibility of asking Votto about moving to right field for them.

To summarize: As the Yankees' farm system has gotten better in recent years, they are very comfortable developing their own complementary players -- and some are better than that, such as Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner, David Robertson and Ivan Nova. But if they have a chance to grab an elite player, as they tried to do in the summer of 2010 with their pursuit of Cliff Lee, they will jump.
    The Fixer wrote:
    for the people

The New York Yankees may or may not be active this winter because it appears their organizational philosophy has evolved along these lines: They will not trade their better prospects for second-tier options. In other words, they probably aren't going to be aggressive in going after someone such as Chicago White Sox lefty John Danks, who has had some success but is eligible for free agency after next season.

But the Yankees also have shown themselves to be fully prepared to load up in a deal for a superstar difference-making player. They repeatedly check in with the Seattle Mariners about Felix Hernandez; they would love to take a shot at Clayton Kershaw; and, if and when the Cincinnati Reds decide to move Joey Votto, the Yankees may well be aggressive and at least consider the possibility of asking Votto about moving to right field for them.

To summarize: As the Yankees' farm system has gotten better in recent years, they are very comfortable developing their own complementary players -- and some are better than that, such as Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner, David Robertson and Ivan Nova. But if they have a chance to grab an elite player, as they tried to do in the summer of 2010 with their pursuit of Cliff Lee, they will jump.

Best fucking thing I have read all day. I love this philosophy and the way the Yanks are headed :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edit: And the first time I am hearing Vottos name. My fucking god that would be awesome.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    barry zito is getting married. maybe he's not gay, after all.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    man do i feel bad for padres fan having Omar Minaya as their assistant GM
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• metsfan wrote:

Assistant GM is a different position than being the main guy. Most assistant general managers will do various scouting and advise. It's not like he'll be suggesting San Diego dole out the type of contracts he did in New York.

Though it's a weird coincidence that he gets the job the same day Heath Bell leaves. You can make a strong case that trading Bell is right on par with the bad contracts he handed out.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    metsfan wrote:

Eh, I have read in many places that he was an incredible scout, which doesn't necessarily make a good GM, but could be a good guy to evaluate talent and not give out contracts.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Eh, I have read in many places that he was an incredible scout, which doesn't necessarily make a good GM, but could be a good guy to evaluate talent and not give out contracts.

He's very respected throughout the game for the that, most notably with his work in Texas during the late-1980s.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

He's very respected throughout the game for the that, most notably with his work in Texas during the late-1980s.

Yeah, I have definitely read that in a bunch of places.
    edited December 2011

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

great scout but horrible GM. traded away alota good arms that coulda helped the mets both in starting rotation and bullpen.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,405
    metsfan wrote:

say that again?
    www.myspace.com