MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    There's your closer, Polaris

hopefully, AA knows something we don't ... not sure if he's gonna be the closer but at least we have an option there for now ...

the FA market on closers is over-inflated i think ... probably what AA thinks as well ...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    There's your closer, Polaris

hopefully, AA knows something we don't ... not sure if he's gonna be the closer but at least we have an option there for now ...

the FA market on closers is over-inflated i think ... probably what AA thinks as well ...

Under control for 6 years, I believe, 3 in contract and 3 team options. That's huge
  • Pujols is just showing himself as the whiny bitch that he is. There, I said it. Got a problem with that?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I hope he stays in St. Louis. I think it's probably just the part of me that is tired of seeing stars skip town the minute someone offers them $0.01 more than they're making now. To me, Pjuols's career would be a better story when it's over if he stays with the Cardinals, especially since he's from Missouri and wasn't considered a top-level prospect when they drafted him.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Some guy I never heard of is saying the Marlins think they are getting him.

While I said I was pulling for the Marlins, if this does happen, I feel as bad as I can possibly feel for a team that is defending champs.
    Pujols is just showing himself as the whiny bitch that he is. There, I said it. Got a problem with that?

No but the same way Rollins is? And pretty much every other free agent for that matter? At least Pujols has the game to back it up.
    I hope he stays in St. Louis. I think it's probably just the part of me that is tired of seeing stars skip town the minute someone offers them $0.01 more than they're making now. To me, Pjuols's career would be a better story when it's over if he stays with the Cardinals, especially since he's from Missouri and wasn't considered a top-level prospect when they drafted him.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Some guy I never heard of is saying the Marlins think they are getting him.

While I said I was pulling for the Marlins, if this does happen, I feel as bad as I can possibly feel for a team that is defending champs.

I hear you and I don't necessarily disagree, I always wanted him to stay as well and like players who play their whole career for one team. I am just digging what the Marlins are doing right now. Ozzie, Bell, Reyes, on top of Johnson, Morrison and Stanton and then possibly this. Fun stuff.

And I don't fault him at all. He is a once in a generation player and hasn't been paid nearly that so why not go after it

And "from Missouri" should be used very lightly there :lol:
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Pujols is just showing himself as the whiny bitch that he is. There, I said it. Got a problem with that?

No but the same way Rollins is? And pretty much every other free agent for that matter? At least Pujols has the game to back it up.

I would consider Jimmy more of a punk kind of guy. You don't see him with a look of hurtful despair EVERY SINGLE TIME an umpire calls a strike on him.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I just read Tom Verducci's column on si.com and got a good laugh from this line:
    Here was one manager's take when told that job-hunting Manny Ramirez is in good shape: "Does he look like he's on steroids? Because he can't hit when he's not on steroids."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ref=sircrc
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I would consider Jimmy more of a punk kind of guy. You don't see him with a look of hurtful despair EVERY SINGLE TIME an umpire calls a strike on him.

Alright, but how does whining about calls relate to securing the best possible compensation for your work?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Under control for 6 years, I believe, 3 in contract and 3 team options. That's huge

ya ... that's his style ... i love the way he's building this team ...
    I just read Tom Verducci's column on si.com and got a good laugh from this line:
    Here was one manager's take when told that job-hunting Manny Ramirez is in good shape: "Does he look like he's on steroids? Because he can't hit when he's not on steroids."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ref=sircrc

That's pretty good, and sad.
    By far the best scoop to come out of MLBTR and the Winter Meetings

Sidney Ponson has no intention of pitching again, writes MASNSports.com's Roch Kubatko. Currently, Ponson is contemplating whether to purchase a boat. I say go for it, big guy!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    I don't!! :lol: :wave:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The Jays' GM says they are unlikely to sign Fielder because they won't go longer than 5 years on a deal. If that's the case, I'd say "unlikely" is the biggest understatement of the offseason.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Alright, but how does whining about calls relate to securing the best possible compensation for your work?

I think Jimmy is really trying to make a deal with the Phils, while Albert seems to be going for the most $$$ and doesn't give a shit about StL. (neither do I - they had enough luck this year to tide them over for a fucking decade, I'm just saying) No doubt he's a great player; I just think people overestimate the "good guy" thing, and I can't stand the guy.

The 10-year deal from the Marlins is pretty amusing; what will it be, about 3 years before they're dismantling the team and trying to trade him after all the fans get bored of baseball because the Dolphins signed a bunch of FA's?

The Jays' GM says they are unlikely to sign Fielder because they won't go longer than 5 years on a deal. If that's the case, I'd say "unlikely" is the biggest understatement of the offseason.

Yeeeahh, I'd say that may be a little bit of an issue.
    The Jays' GM says they are unlikely to sign Fielder because they won't go longer than 5 years on a deal. If that's the case, I'd say "unlikely" is the biggest understatement of the offseason.

sweet ... stick to your philosophy AA!! ...
  • polaris_x wrote:

Neither of these 1B contracts is gonna work out any better than Ryan Howard's.

please ... no need to spread what i like to call "message board gold" around ... let's keep it in the phillies thread ... :lol::lol::lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think Jimmy is really trying to make a deal with the Phils, while Albert seems to be going for the most $$$ and doesn't give a shit about StL. (neither do I - they had enough luck this year to tide them over for a fucking decade, I'm just saying) No doubt he's a great player; I just think people overestimate the "good guy" thing, and I can't stand the guy.

The 10-year deal from the Marlins is pretty amusing; what will it be, about 3 years before they're dismantling the team and trying to trade him after all the fans get bored of baseball because the Dolphins signed a bunch of FA's?

I agree that Jimmy wants to go back, and I would imagine that Pujols does too. But he has never been payed close to his value. The Cards wanted to give him a contract extension on their terms last year and it backfired, now if they want to keep him it's going to be on Albert's terms. I don't really give a shit if he is a good guy or not, but the guy has every right to get paid as much as he possibly can, especially being probably the best player any of us have ever seen (up against Bonds and that's a whole different discussion) and never being paid that way. It's not like I'm feeling sorry for the guy, but I don't see any issue with what he's doing.

I have no clue what the Marlins are doing. I am sure they are going to want to win quickly otherwise I have no clue how they are going to pay these contracts. Will be fun to watch though.
    polaris_x wrote:

Fielder will probably work out the best simply because of age. If pujols is really older than he says he is, that could be a complete disaster.
  • polaris_x wrote:

please ... no need to spread what i like to call "message board gold" around ... let's keep it in the phillies thread ... :lol::lol::lol:

It's ok - Fixer is in da-da land. :lol:

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932
    This is crazy.

There's only one way to make money in Miami - sign Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Albert Pujols, Jose Reyes, Tom Brady AND Aaron Rodgers, and Alex Ovechkin...and Sidney Crosby.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If pujols is really older than he says he is, that could be a complete disaster.

His age listed might not be accurate?

Like maybe he played in the little league world series when he was 20? ;)

Seriously though...something not line up with his age?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • This is crazy.

There's only one way to make money in Miami - sign Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Albert Pujols, Jose Reyes, Tom Brady AND Aaron Rodgers, and Alex Ovechkin...and Sidney Crosby.

:lol:
    haha, and Tebow.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    He hasn't been able to produce a birth certificate.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If pujols is really older than he says he is, that could be a complete disaster.

His age listed might not be accurate?

Like maybe he played in the little league world series when he was 20? ;)

Seriously though...something not line up with his age?

Some people seem to think he is older than he is, Jon Heyman for one, who I am sure wouldn't be saying the same thing if he were a Boras client. I don't really know why, there are obviously age issues with a lot of players from the DR and Cuba, but not sure why Pujols.
    But wasn't Pujols born here, or at least raised here - outside KC or something?
    But wasn't Pujols born here, or at least raised here - outside KC or something?

From the DR, think he moved here in HS, somewhere like that.