MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    polaris_x wrote:
    who's gonna win mvp?

I'm taking Bautista. I think Verlander is deserving but will get mixed votes since he's a pitcher.
  • Mariners outfielder killed by his brother.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111121/S ... bbed-death
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    who's gonna win mvp?

I'm taking Bautista. I think Verlander is deserving but will get mixed votes since he's a pitcher.

i think the jays record and being a canadian team will hurt his chances significantly ...

gonna come down to him, verlander, miggy and ellsbury ... i think it's gonna come down to vote splits ...
    Mariners outfielder killed by his brother.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111121/S ... bbed-death

Saw this on MLBTR and Hardball Talk. Horrible.
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    who's gonna win mvp?

i think the jays record and being a canadian team will hurt his chances significantly ...

gonna come down to him, verlander, miggy and ellsbury ... i think it's gonna come down to vote splits ...

Yeah, that's probably true but that's my pick and I'm sticking to it. I think its Verlander or Bautista. The voting splits help Bautista, I would think. I think he'll have the most consistent ballots.
    Cespedes people say he has an 8 year offer on the table with $10 mil up front. I find that hard to believe.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,405
    even though it conjures up some awful memories for a phillies fan, i love the blue jays going back to their old school uniforms.

i was happy to see that
    www.myspace.com
    Verlander it is.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Verlander it is.

yeah ... great season but i just don't think someone who plays every 5th day should win mvp ...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,862
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Verlander it is.

yeah ... great season but i just don't think someone who plays every 5th day should win mvp ...
    how about someone on a 4th place team? ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Verlander it is.

Yeah, we have discussed, I am fine with it given there was no clear favorite this year.
    imalive wrote:
    how about someone on a 4th place team? ;)

haha ... yeah ... i'm not saying bautista should have won it ... just simply that pitchers play every 5th day and they don't bat in the AL ... and most of his starts came against teams that finished below .500 ...
    Not always a fan of Pete Abe but here is a good explanation

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... _my_m.html

Hopefully the jackass who voted Michael Young first explains his, he says he is. Should be interesting.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Not always a fan of Pete Abe but here is a good explanation

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... _my_m.html

Hopefully the jackass who voted Michael Young first explains his, he says he is. Should be interesting.

soo ... he basically ignored the vague direction of the ballot ... haha
  • what about the one guy who left Verlander off the ballot?

In the AP story, this is how he explained it:

“I’d wrestled with this for a long time. If I was ever going to vote for pitcher for MVP, it would be him this year,” Ingraham said. “He hasn’t appeared in 79 percent of their games, any starting pitcher really doesn’t appear in 79 percent of his team’s games in a year.

“Would you vote for an NFL quarterback for MVP if he only appeared in three of his team’s 16 games, which would 21 percent? So that’s part of it. Another part of it is I think they’re apples and oranges. The guys that are in there every day, there’s a grind to a season that a starting pitcher doesn’t, I don’t think, experience the way the everyday position players do playing 150, 160 games.”

He makes some valid points, but to leave him off the ballot entirely?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    Verlander absolutely deserved it. Hasn't been as dominant a pitcher as him in a looong time. Atta boy J.V.
    Who's the punk in Cleveland that left him off the ballot completely??? What a bum. That Tribe slappy should have his vote taken away. Pathetic!
    EDIT : Just saw the previous post...The apples and oranges comment make a lot of sense...WHEN YOU ARE COMPARING BASEBALL TO FOOTBALL!!!! IDIOT!
    MLMF Det
    what about the one guy who left Verlander off the ballot?

In the AP story, this is how he explained it:

“I’d wrestled with this for a long time. If I was ever going to vote for pitcher for MVP, it would be him this year,” Ingraham said. “He hasn’t appeared in 79 percent of their games, any starting pitcher really doesn’t appear in 79 percent of his team’s games in a year.

“Would you vote for an NFL quarterback for MVP if he only appeared in three of his team’s 16 games, which would 21 percent? So that’s part of it. Another part of it is I think they’re apples and oranges. The guys that are in there every day, there’s a grind to a season that a starting pitcher doesn’t, I don’t think, experience the way the everyday position players do playing 150, 160 games.”

He makes some valid points, but to leave him off the ballot entirely?

i kinda agree ... if you don't think pitchers should be included in mvp voting ... you can't have him on your ballot period ...

verlander's had 34 starts ... of which there were 4 teams with 3 or more ... those 4 teams combined for like a .450 winning percentage ... none of them playing over .500 ball ... those totaled 15 of his 34 starts ...

and like the ballot says ... offense ... he contributes nothing to the offense ...
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    polaris_x wrote:
    verlander's had 34 starts ... of which there were 4 teams with 3 or more ... those 4 teams combined for like a .450 winning percentage ... none of them playing over .500 ball ... those totaled 15 of his 34 starts ...

and like the ballot says ... offense ... he contributes nothing to the offense ...
    OK...Does it really matter what teams Verlander beat???
    Why don't pitchers win that many games every year? By your logic it should be easy, since no more than 1/2 the teams are gonna be over .500.
    You sound like the 1% telling the 99% that if they worked harder they could be part of the 1% too...
    Mind-boggling logic!
    MLMF Det
    Why don't pitchers win that many games every year? By your logic it should be easy, since no more than 1/2 the teams are gonna be over .500.
    You sound like the 1% telling the 99% that if they worked harder they could be part of the 1% too...
    Mind-boggling logic!

look ... i get it ... you're a homer ... :lol:

i guarantee you that if you include the entire AL East (baltimore included) his era would be over 3 this year ... schedule definitely plays a factor in terms of stats ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Mind-boggling logic!

look ... i get it ... you're a homer ... :lol:

i guarantee you that if you include the entire AL East (baltimore included) his era would be over 3 this year ... schedule definitely plays a factor in terms of stats ...

Says the guy who wanted Bautista to get it. :lol:

In all seriousness, Verlander had an incredible season and there was no clear MVP.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

In all seriousness, Verlander had an incredible season and there was no clear MVP.

hey ... i could care less if bautista won ... like i said last page ...

i just don't think pitchers should be included ... maybe in the NL if they hit ... haha
  • polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

hey ... i could care less if bautista won ... like i said last page ...

i just don't think pitchers should be included ... maybe in the NL if they hit ... haha

Pitch 6 shutouts and hit 2 homers??? ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,728
    Seattle Mariners OF Greg Halman Fatally stabbed :(
    ROTTERDAM, Netherlands -- Seattle Mariners outfielder Greg Halman was stabbed to death early Monday and his brother was arrested as a suspect, Dutch police said.

Rotterdam Police spokeswoman Patricia Wessels said police were called to a home in the port city in the early hours of the morning and found the 24-year-old Dutch player bleeding from a stab wound.

The officers and ambulance paramedics were unable to resuscitate Halman.

Wessels said the officers arrested Halman's 22-year-old brother. She declined to give his name, in line with Dutch privacy rules.

"He is under arrest and right now he is being questioned," Wessels told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "It will take some time to figure out what exactly happened."

No charges have been filed in the case.

Mike Nicotera, Halman's agent, said in a statement: "This hurts."

"The loss of a talented 24-year-old young man like Greg, amid such tragic circumstances, is painful for all of us throughout the game," MLB commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "On behalf of Major League Baseball, I send my deepest condolences to the entire Mariners organization and to all those whose lives were touched by Greg."

Mariners chairman Howard Lincoln, president Chuck Armstrong and general manager Jack Zduriencik paid tribute to Halman on behalf of the club.

"Greg was a part of our organization since he was 16 and we saw him grow into a passionate young man and talented baseball player," they said in a statement. "He had an infectious smile that would greet you in the clubhouse, and he was a tremendous teammate. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Greg's family."

Halman hit .230 in 35 games and made starts at all three outfield positions for the Mariners in 2011 before being optioned to Triple-A Tacoma.

Because he played professionally in the United States, Halman was not part of the Netherlands team that won the Baseball World Cup in Panama last month. The Dutch beat Cuba 2-1 in the final to become the first European team to win the title.

Born in the city of Haarlem, Halman played in the Dutch Pro League and was part of the gold medal winning Dutch squad at the 2007 European Championship.

MLB Players Association president Michael Weiner said in a statement that the union was "deeply saddened" to learn of Halman's death.

"Greg was passionate about the game of baseball and generously gave of himself to share his passion with others in an attempt to help grow the sport's popularity across Europe. He will be sorely missed. Having played for the Netherlands in the 2009 World Baseball Classic, and having participated in the recent 2011 European Big League Tour, Greg's lasting legacy is sure to be the trail he helped blaze for European youth to follow in his footsteps," Weiner said in the statement.

Former major leaguer Robert Eenhorn, the technical director of the Dutch baseball association, said he was devastated by the news.

"The only thing I can say right now is we are deeply shocked," Eenhorn, who played for the New York Yankees and Anaheim Angels in the 1990s, told the AP. "All our thoughts are with his family and how they are going to have to deal with this tremendous loss."

Halman was in Europe this month as part of the European Big League Tour, an initiative organized by Baltimore Orioles pitcher Rick VandenHurk in which major leaguers gave clinics to children. VandenHurk also is Dutch.

"It's really sad and it's really terrible the way it happened," International Baseball Federation president Riccardo Fraccari said. "We mourn for him and respect his family's sorrow."

Massimo Fochi, the vice president of the Italian baseball federation, said he met Halman less than two weeks ago at a European Big League Tour event in Parma.

"He was a great guy and the most appreciated by the kids," Fochi said. "His passing away is really painful."
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Joe Nathan to rangers. Feliz to the rotation
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    anyone following this greg halman story?? pretty fucking crazy

there's been some weird shit in the sports world over the last month
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Preparing for CJ to leave.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

damm ... that was one of the guys AA was hoping to get ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Verlander absolutely deserved it. Hasn't been as dominant a pitcher as him in a looong time. Atta boy J.V.
    Who's the punk in Cleveland that left him off the ballot completely??? What a bum. That Tribe slappy should have his vote taken away. Pathetic!
    EDIT : Just saw the previous post...The apples and oranges comment make a lot of sense...WHEN YOU ARE COMPARING BASEBALL TO FOOTBALL!!!! IDIOT!

I agree Verlander deserved it...if Verlander doesn't keep them in the race the first half of the season...Dombrowsky probably doesn't make those trades that put them over top and made them that much better.

That being said I can see him being the last pitcher to win it because it would not surprise me that MLB will move to exclude pitchers from the MVP voting as they have the CY Young as their award.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I think the whole argument would be resolved if they'd just come up with an award that's only for position players (and DHs, too) that's voted on the same way the MVP and Cy Young are. There's the Hank Aaron Award, but I think that only takes offense into account and it's not voted on by the writers the way the other awards are. Maybe create a Wille Mays Award that takes offense and defense into account. That way, pitchers have the Cy Young, position players have the Mays Award, DHs can be considered with other position players for the Aaron Award, and the MVP is a free-for-all where voters can vote for anyone without thinking, "They already have their own award," and just determine how they define value in their own minds.

By the way, I have no problem with the writer who voted for Michael Young. I actually thought he'd get a few more votes than he did, although I didn't expect him to win. Sure, he was the DH quite a bit, but he played more than half his games in the field, hit extremely well, and played multiple positions. I'd say a guy who can produce on offense and field 3-4 different positions while playing every day is a guy most teams would value quite a bit.
    lukin2006 wrote:

I agree Verlander deserved it...if Verlander doesn't keep them in the race the first half of the season...Dombrowsky probably doesn't make those trades that put them over top and made them that much better.

That being said I can see him being the last pitcher to win it because it would not surprise me that MLB will move to exclude pitchers from the MVP voting as they have the CY Young as their award.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    Prince Fielder I believe was the ONLY player to play ALL 162 games....that's impressive.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)