MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    He's 19 years-old, that's what they do (or at least I did b/c I emulated Pedro Martinez). Either way I remember playing a Community College game with some of the best talent in my area (NY isn't really a hotbed, but still really respectable 19-21 year old kids generally), and after our coach got ejected we cheered balls and strikes like it was the 9th inning of the World Series for 12 straight innings. I threw 3-0 curveballs for strikes to a catcher who decided that was the day he wasn't going to wear a cup.

Learning to control your emotions come with time, and he will learn. I mean no one calls Ryan Braun a dick (he's leading the NL in All-Star voting), and he once ran halfway to the dugout watching a homerun against the D-Bags in his rookie year in the Bigs. He apologized, and got drilled his next time out against the Bags. He doesn't do that anymore. Hell, since I've been able to get the baseball ticket and follow the Crew for the last 4 years I've seen their young players go from that, to "untucking" after a win, running-off the field after a walk-off hit against the Cards b/c they hated the untucking, falling over when they were 10 games out of the playoff hunt in September after Prince hit a walk-off against the Giants, to just going out an playing ball real hard this year. Difference is they aren't all 23 years-old anymore, they want to win and they learned that showing up the other team doesn't help.

P.S. If The "Big Veg" goes to the Nats I'll start cutting (j/k). The Nats do look like they have righted the ship though.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    RW81233 wrote:
    He's 19 years-old, that's what they do (or at least I did b/c I emulated Pedro Martinez). Either way I remember playing a Community College game with some of the best talent in my area (NY isn't really a hotbed, but still really respectable 19-21 year old kids generally), and after our coach got ejected we cheered balls and strikes like it was the 9th inning of the World Series for 12 straight innings. I threw 3-0 curveballs for strikes to a catcher who decided that was the day he wasn't going to wear a cup.

Learning to control your emotions come with time, and he will learn. I mean no one calls Ryan Braun a dick (he's leading the NL in All-Star voting), and he once ran halfway to the dugout watching a homerun against the D-Bags in his rookie year in the Bigs. He apologized, and got drilled his next time out against the Bags. He doesn't do that anymore. Hell, since I've been able to get the baseball ticket and follow the Crew for the last 4 years I've seen their young players go from that, to "untucking" after a win, running-off the field after a walk-off hit against the Cards b/c they hated the untucking, falling over when they were 10 games out of the playoff hunt in September after Prince hit a walk-off against the Giants, to just going out an playing ball real hard this year. Difference is they aren't all 23 years-old anymore, they want to win and they learned that showing up the other team doesn't help.

P.S. If The "Big Veg" goes to the Nats I'll start cutting (j/k). The Nats do look like they have righted the ship though.

I understand the dude is still young, but he's been talked to about his nonsense before (the excessive eyeblack, the posing after bombs, etc). He's still only in single A, so he has a ways to go. All I've seen/read about him just screams giant douche. Some guys never lose that (Arod, bonds, clemens, larussa, reyes, etc). I think harper is going to end up in that same ilk

some meathead type like dibble or farnsworth will put him in his place when he gets to the show. And I will enjoy every second of it.

Lerner is worth something crazy like 4 times what mark cuban is worth. dude is beyond loaded and has shown he will pour money into the nats to make them relevant. good for baseball, bad for NL East. werid how one team goes in the shitter (mets) and another kinda emerges. sports are awesome like that.

and yeah...I wouldn't expect your squad to resign the fat angry first baseman
    You're probably right about Harper, but I'm just saying that there's still time. It probably will take a 97 mph fastball in the ribcage to get the ball rolling though. I don't see Prince coming back, but will enjoy the ride this year. In fact, I might take a closer look at him than Pujols given the potential ROI (he's probably 60% the player but will come at 50% of the price and is like 27 vs. Pujols "31").
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:

Lerner is worth something crazy like 4 times what mark cuban is worth. dude is beyond loaded and has shown he will pour money into the nats to make them relevant. good for baseball, bad for NL East. werid how one team goes in the shitter (mets) and another kinda emerges. sports are awesome like that.

lets be honest, the mets have always been in the shitter since fred coupon took over.

also am i consider a nerd for listening to the live streaming of the draft?

umm have the mets heard of this thing called a catcher? so far only drafting 1 catcher worries me a bit.

in regards to the whole Bryce Harper thing

i'm watching MLB network and Verdicci and Heart just said that this pitcher wasn't only targeting Harper but apparently was starring at the Hagerstown dugout before the game. they both applauded Harper for sticking up for his team.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

also am i consider a nerd for listening to the live streaming of the draft?

got home from my sales appointments around 1. I had the draft stream on all afternoon. Crazy how they just do it like a teleconference.

So my point is we are both nerds
    The Fixer wrote:

got home from my sales appointments around 1. I had the draft stream on all afternoon. Crazy how they just do it like a teleconference.

So my point is we are both nerds
    it's cool they do it like a teleconference

haha yes we are

i'm only listening to this till mets pregame comes on at 7:30 lol

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Told myself I was going to stop drinking during the week to lose a few pounds, then tonight Yanks-Boston, NBA Finals and USA-Canada soccer (which I can't find on TV). Not sure I can watch these games without a few beers, ah well.
    How do grown men call David Ortiz, Big Papi?
    edited June 2011
    cliffy, fox sports channel has the USA-CANADA soccer match

start time is 7:30 pm
    Post edited by Gary Carter on

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Told myself I was going to stop drinking during the week to lose a few pounds, then tonight Yanks-Boston, NBA Finals and USA-Canada soccer (which I can't find on TV). Not sure I can watch these games without a few beers, ah well.

just think of drinking during the week as training for PJ20
    metsfan wrote:

Thanks, man. Not sure I get that. Fucking comcast.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

just think of drinking during the week as training for PJ20

haha, very true. I enjoy day drinking and am pretty damn good at it, but that will take some training. Going to be 12+ hours a day. Fuck yeah.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah, that is gay.

figures the yanks/sox are on MLB Network and the one HD extra innings channel. annoying
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

i don't get that channel either. i have to get with the soccer package direct tv offers. i love soccer but not that much to get balls deep into it.

Welcome

The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah, that is gay.

figures the yanks/sox are on MLB Network and the one HD extra innings channel. annoying

I am on MLB, Cone is doing that game so I will take him and HD over extra innings. Dude, do you get an HD channel down there? I don't think I do. Games on that channel for me just take up less of the screen.
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

i don't get that channel either. i have to get with the soccer package direct tv offers. i love soccer but not that much to get balls deep into it.

Welcome

Yeah, dumb. I pay for extra innings so I don't buy too much more than that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah, that is gay.

I am on MLB, Cone is doing that game so I will take him and HD over extra innings. Dude, do you get an HD channel down there? I don't think I do. Games on that channel for me just take up less of the screen.

yep. channel 786. NESN feed, so I'm sure you'll be avoiding that channel anyway
    The Fixer wrote:
    yep. channel 786. NESN feed, so I'm sure you'll be avoiding that channel anyway

Yeah, not HD for me. haha, I'll be watching on MLB.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,232
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    The big veg does it again!
    I hate this guy and he hasn't even reached the show yet

On one hand, Bryce Harper is 18 and would still be a senior in high school if he'd lived a normal life. On the other hand, scouts who cover the South Atlantic League have been raising eyebrows for weeks about his sense of entitlement. Tales of Harper showing up late for team stretching, and occasionally exiting those stretching drills before they were over, have been circulating in the scout community. And as talented as Harper may be, and as fun as he may be to watch on the field, he has often offended outsiders with his what-am-I-doing-in-THIS-league body language. That has to stop.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    The Fixer wrote:

On one hand, Bryce Harper is 18 and would still be a senior in high school if he'd lived a normal life. On the other hand, scouts who cover the South Atlantic League have been raising eyebrows for weeks about his sense of entitlement. Tales of Harper showing up late for team stretching, and occasionally exiting those stretching drills before they were over, have been circulating in the scout community. And as talented as Harper may be, and as fun as he may be to watch on the field, he has often offended outsiders with his what-am-I-doing-in-THIS-league body language. That has to stop.

I read this earlier. As much as Stark can be a douche, I like reading his articles.
    The Fixer wrote:

I read this earlier. As much as Stark can be a douche, I like reading his articles.

Seems like he has a ton of scout/executive sources (especially with the phils). I love reading his rumors and feedback from scouts. The stupid line score and whacky stats he writes about don't interest me at all.

So I guess I'm 50/50 with his stuff
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Seems like he has a ton of scout/executive sources (especially with the phils). I love reading his rumors and feedback from scouts. The stupid line score and whacky stats he writes about don't interest me at all.

So I guess I'm 50/50 with his stuff

Yeah, that's the thing. I immediately look for quotes in his stuff. Anything from "execs" or scouts. Whenever I see "one AL exec said", so on and so forth, that's what I read. Good stuff.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    MLB, players talk realignment

A simple form of realignment being seriously considered has been raised in the labor talks between Major League Baseball and the players' association, according to four sources: two leagues of 15 teams, rather than the current structure of 16 teams in the National League and 14 in the American League.

According to a highly ranked executive, one consideration that has been raised in ownership committee meetings is eliminating the divisions altogether, so that 15 AL and 15 NL teams would vie for five playoff spots within each league. Currently, Major League Baseball has six divisions.

A source who has been briefed on the specifics of the labor discussions says that the players' union has indicated that it is open to the idea of two 15-team leagues, but that the whole plan still hasn't been talked through or presented to the owners.

"I'd still say the odds of it happening are less than 50-50," one source said.

A sticking point involves interleague play. Because of the odd number of teams in each league, it is possible that a team in contention late in the season will have to be playing its final games in interleague play.

One of the biggest issues that would have to be resolved in any realignment resulting in two 15-team leagues is which of the National League teams would switch to the American League.

Two highly ranked executives believe the Houston Astros would be a possibility, because a switch to the AL for Houston would foster a rivalry between the Astros and the Texas Rangers.

"There are still a lot of details that would have to be discussed," one source said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/stor ... BHeadlines
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Why not just have the Brewers move back to the AL?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Why not just have the Brewers move back to the AL?

why not eliminate about 4 teams?
    www.myspace.com
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Can't really move the Brewers to the AL because that would give the Central division six teams while the West still has only four. Houston to the AL West makes the most sense, I suppose, even if the notion of there being an Astros-Rangers rivalry is kind of laughable.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Couple thoughts on the realignment talk...

A) Move the Astros to the Al West: Great, make us even a worse division. Though I do agree it would be nice to have the same amount of teams in each division.

B) Maybe it is time to call an end to inter-league play. Maybe it has run it's course. I really wouldn't miss it much.

C) I wouldn't like a two division-less leagues, with each league's teams vying for five playoff spots. I know it used to be that way, but I wasn't alive then.
  • Go Tigers!!!!!! Hello first place!!!!!!!!!!!
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.