MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjl44 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

The AL just has better teams as a whole. Been that way for a long time, hence the lopsided interleague record.

Right. And they're better because of the DH.

But the NL gets to use the DH too in interleague play don't they?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

The AL just has better teams as a whole. Been that way for a long time, hence the lopsided interleague record.

...nobody in the nl is paying their dh 15 mil a year....

worst rule in sports.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

worst rule in sports.

dude, it's not even in the top 10 of worst rules in sports. the NFL and NHL each have 10 rules that are worse

again, I don't see how a player/teams salary is relevant here at all

joey votto makes something like 800K a year. last time I checked he was a pretty damn good hitter
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

worst rule in sports.

dude, it's not even in the top 10 of worst rules in sports. the NFL and NHL each have 10 rules that are worse

again, I don't see how a player/teams salary is relevant here at all

joey votto makes something like 800K a year. last time I checked he was a pretty damn good hitter

the worst. not even close....what makes it the worst is that one league has it and the other doesn't.

and, dude really?

2 years ago the mvp of the world series was hideki matsui. he was paid to be a dh. i think he was paid about 15 million dollars to be a dh.

the phillies dh was ben francisco. ben fucking francisco, who was paid to be a 4th outfielder :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    I disagree. Just watch an NFL game for an hour and you will see 20 stupid penalties.

I dont think the DH is that big of a deal. and I know the salary of a DH doesnt matter

I thought Ryan Howard was MVP for the yanks in that WS?
    The Fixer wrote:
    I disagree. Just watch an NFL game for an hour and you will see 20 stupid penalties.

I dont think the DH is that big of a deal. and I know the salary of a DH doesnt matter

of course the salary of a dh doesn't matter. :lol: you're not understanding the point. the point is a dh in the al is getting paid to be a dh. that would be his job. lot's of dh's make a lot of money to do that one thing and to do it well.

there is nobody in the nl getting paid to be a dh. why? because the position doesn't exist in the nl.

how baseball has gone this long with one league having such a distinct advantage over the other is mind boggling to me.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

of course the salary of a dh doesn't matter. :lol: you're not understanding the point. the point is a dh in the al is getting paid to be a dh. that would be his job. lot's of dh's make a lot of money to do that one thing and to do it well.

there is nobody in the nl getting paid to be a dh. why? because the position doesn't exist in the nl.

how baseball has gone this long with one league having such a distinct advantage over the other is mind boggling to me.

the two leagues rarely play each other. and as I posted, the WS has been pretty even between the two leagues since the DH was implemented.

It's not that big of a deal
    The Fixer wrote:

the two leagues rarely play each other. and as I posted, the WS has been pretty even between the two leagues since the DH was implemented.

they play each other in the championship series of the sport. and taking 20 of 35 projects to a 92-70 record over a full season.

ben francisco vs hideki matsui....the dh isn't a big deal. come on man.

horrible that one league has it and the other doesn't.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

they play each other in the championship series of the sport. and taking 20 of 35 projects to a 92-70 record over a full season.

the world series is only 7 games, not 162. In the 35 years or so since the DH has been in the WS, there isn't really an advantage for either league. You could say the NL has the advantage because their pitchers get to hit throughout the year.

stairs was the DH the year the phils won it all. he was a pretty good hitter. francisco vs matsui is just one example. there are plenty of guys in the NL that would be solid DHs.

I really don't see the big deal. I like the fact that the two leagues are different. It's interesting to see the conflicting styles in the world series
    jimed14 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I think we're on the same page...zero correlation was probably getting a little carried away

which ... is the definition of hyperbole. ;)

touche.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the world series is only 7 games, not 162. In the 35 years or so since the DH has been in the WS, there isn't really an advantage for either league. You could say the NL has the advantage because their pitchers get to hit throughout the year.

stairs was the DH the year the phils won it all. he was a pretty good hitter. francisco vs matsui is just one example. there are plenty of guys in the NL that would be solid DHs.

I really don't see the big deal. I like the fact that the two leagues are different. It's interesting to see the conflicting styles in the world series

well we'll just have to agree to disagree. i'm old school when it comes to baseball. i think the dh takes away from the late game strategies that make the game so interesting. and i think when you get to the world series when you have one team who has built their team around having a dh all year and one team who has to throw in a 4th outfielder into the role, i consider that a distinct and unfair advantage.

i disagree that the nl has the advantage because pitchers hit all year. a pitcher will never win the mvp for his hitting. can't think of a world series where this aspect has truly helped the nl. conversely the dh helps the al all the time.

and i gave you the projected full season record because 35 games is a small sample size. it's still a .570 winning percentage though ;)

i agree that it is interesting that both leagues are different....just would be nice to see both of them on a level playing field again. amazing to me that they're not. whether you like or dislike the dh, want to keep it or get rid of it, most agree that both leagues should have the same rules.
    www.myspace.com
    yeah, we're going in circles. you obviously think it's a bigger deal than I do.

I am really just playing devils advocate here. I prefer the NL style of baseball as well. Just saying that in the WS an AL team loses it's DH when they're on the road. So that could be looked at as an advantage for the NL team (especially if it's a guy like david ortiz who is forced to play the field).
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, we're going in circles. you obviously think it's a bigger deal than I do.

I am really just playing devils advocate here. I prefer the NL style of baseball as well. Just saying that in the WS an AL team loses it's DH when they're on the road. So that could be looked at as an advantage for the NL team (especially if it's a guy like david ortiz who is forced to play the field).

and i get that point...but that further proves my point that each league should be on a level playing field going into it.

i have despised the dh since i was kid who hated the american league. but to make things fair you either have to get rid of it all together or put in both leagues--which would give me something to complain about for the rest of my life but at least things would be even. i support the first option. alas, that will never happen. :x
    www.myspace.com
  • As far as the World Series goes, the home team will always get the advantage as far as DH/no DH. The real crime is that home field advantage in the WS is decided by the winner of the f'ing All Star game.

Worst yet, the All Star rosters (starting lineups at least) usually arent the best players for that year because idiot fans dont know how to vote for the most deserving players and not their home town players and/or favorite players. Cant wait to see Jeter starting at SS this year........ :roll: give me a break.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
    As far as the World Series goes, the home team will always get the advantage as far as DH/no DH. The real crime is that home field advantage in the WS is decided by the winner of the f'ing All Star game.

Worst yet, the All Star rosters (starting lineups at least) usually arent the best players for that year because idiot fans dont know how to vote for the most deserving players and not their home town players and/or favorite players. Cant wait to see Jeter starting at SS this year........ :roll: give me a break.

another brilliant call by the commissioner
    :roll:
    www.myspace.com
    As far as the World Series goes, the home team will always get the advantage as far as DH/no DH. The real crime is that home field advantage in the WS is decided by the winner of the f'ing All Star game.

another brilliant call by the commissioner
    :roll:

yeah, that is a horrible rule. a billion times worse than the DH
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    As a Yankee fan, even I have to agree that the Yankees players leading basically every category is absolutely ridiculous. I don't feel like the fans should be trusted to vote for the All-Star Game, because most people only know players by name recognition and don't follow the game day in and day out like many of us do. I don't know if the coaches or players themselves should vote, but if the All-Star game will continue to decide home field advantage in the World Series, it's only fair that the players that deserve to play in it actually make the team.
    tcaporale wrote:
    As a Yankee fan, even I have to agree that the Yankees players leading basically every category is absolutely ridiculous. I don't feel like the fans should be trusted to vote for the All-Star Game, because most people only know players by name recognition and don't follow the game day in and day out like many of us do. I don't know if the coaches or players themselves should vote, but if the All-Star game will continue to decide home field advantage in the World Series, it's only fair that the players that deserve to play in it actually make the team.

If the game is going to count for something I think the managers of the 3 division leaders a week or two before the all star game should select the team.
    The Fixer wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:

If the game is going to count for something I think the managers of the 3 division leaders a week or two before the all star game should select the team.

not removing the starters after 3 or 4 innings would help to.

"this time it counts!" :lol: ugh.
    www.myspace.com
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Bud Selig becoming commish was the best thing to happen to Brewer baseball since Robin Yount. Mostly because he was no longer our owner.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

Zambrano is a pretty good hitter...

Babe ruth was a pretty good hitter.

There are others in between.

I just get the dh....

Zambrano's career line is .240/.249/.392. That's terrible, but good for a pitcher. What does that say? Babe Ruth was 80 years ago. Has the game changed a bit since then? If you're not sure, you may want to check in with blacks and hispanics.

You're using a pretty small sample size though (what do pitchers get 70 - 80 ABs in a good year??). If zambrano played first base and didn't pitch don't you think his numbers would improve?

I hear what you're saying...most pitchers can't hit. Just saying that their stats don't tell the entire story

That's his career line; it tells exactly the entire story. You're right about his development, though. If he had come up as a first baseman, he would certainly be a better hitter. Tough to say how good, but he at least has some degree of power. That's sorta the point, though. The game has evolved where pitchers are developed to pitch only. It's a way of maximizing their value to the team. Worrying about their hitting is like a hockey team worrying about their goalie's slapshot.

Being able to argue about this stuff is one of the best things about baseball, though. It's easy to forgot sometimes that they do operate as two separate leagues in many ways. It's just great to see the game as healthy as it is right now, especially with impending work stoppages in the NFL and NBA.

i agree that it is interesting that both leagues are different....just would be nice to see both of them on a level playing field again. amazing to me that they're not. whether you like or dislike the dh, want to keep it or get rid of it, most agree that both leagues should have the same rules.

Yup...we certainly agree completely here. I may have missed it, but are you an interleague play guy?
    pjl44 wrote:

Yup...we certainly agree completely here. I may have missed it, but are you an interleague play guy?

no. to me it is a novelty that wore out about 13 years ago.
    www.myspace.com
    pjl44 wrote:

Agreed again.
    pjl44 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

Agreed again.

we are on a roll!
    www.myspace.com
  • Fan of a non-northeast team bump!!!!!

Go Tigers!!!!!!! Lets bury the Indians beginning tonight. (or as much as you can bury a team that is tied for first in June ;) )
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
    Great article related to how the lower payroll teams can contend in today's MLB environment. Really is amazing how great of an impact Moneyball had on how players are evaluated and teams are run.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/646 ... -moneyball

we are on a roll!

Yaaaaaaay!
    The Fixer wrote:
    Great article related to how the lower payroll teams can contend in today's MLB environment. Really is amazing how great of an impact Moneyball had on how players are evaluated and teams are run.

Cool...gonna check this out now. You nailed it when you were talking about the draft a couple pages ago. Going over slot and just paying the best talent seems to be a far more efficient use of funds than dropping ten times as much on a 30-year-old free agent. Amazing that a bunch of teams haven't figured this out yet (cough TigersandAstros).
    pjl44 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Cool...gonna check this out now. You nailed it when you were talking about the draft a couple pages ago. Going over slot and just paying the best talent seems to be a far more efficient use of funds than dropping ten times as much on a 30-year-old free agent. Amazing that a bunch of teams haven't figured this out yet (cough TigersandAstros).

yeah man. I'm a huge baseball geek. I follow the minor leagues almost as closely as I follow the majors. Love baseball...by far the best professional sport