MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    If I made as many idiotic statements in my job as Heyman does, I would be fired in 4 seconds. Ozzie for Morrision? You're a fucking idiot.
  • Love My Tigers!!!
    They can make the full run this year!
    Verlander is a MONSTER!!!
    MLMF Det
  • Love My Tigers!!!

http://roarofthetigers.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/does-it-ever-get-boring-talking-about-how-good-justin-verlander-is/
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

How can you possibly make that claim? Just because Mattingly doesn't let him go out for the 9th as much Manuel does. Kershaw has thrown more innings that Lee and one less that Halladay and has a better ERA, lower WHIP, and more strike outs than both of them. Come one dude, because a manager doesn't run him out for the 9th makes Lee and Halladay better than him?

Lee and Halladay act as their own closers frequently, and a couple times they haven't quite finished it off (I think once each). But Kershaw doesn't act as a closer. His CG's were all at least with a lead of a few runs.

They all have basically the same amount of innings. Cliff & Roy tied for the lead and Clayton one back.

Also, when you adjust for park factors, I'd think Cliff & Roy would jump ahead in a few of those funky SABR stats.

That has nothing to do with Kershaw though. That's on Mattingly and Manuel. Halladay has a higher ERA+, Lee lower. Funny how SABR stats are important when they work in your favor, no?
    Halladay's ERA being higher than Kershaw's isn't a valid point. Halladay has given up one more earned run than Kershaw and you can't bust a man's balls over that.
    Halladay's ERA being higher than Kershaw's isn't a valid point. Halladay has given up one more earned run than Kershaw and you can't bust a man's balls over that.

Okay, but the fact is Kershaw could very well lead the league wins, strikeouts and ERA and I would imagine he has to have the lowest WHIP as well. Almost a toss up but I don't see how someone could lead so many categories and not win it.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Love My Tigers!!!

I agree...Verlander and Fister game 1 and 2 starters.

Maybe Porcello starts game 3 depending on how he pitches in his next start.

Dombrowski has made all Good decisions and trades this past off season and during the season.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Okay, but the fact is Kershaw could very well lead the league wins, strikeouts and ERA and I would imagine he has to have the lowest WHIP as well. Almost a toss up but I don't see how someone could lead so many categories and not win it.

You SABR people are always cherry picking. Now you're going with traditional stats. :?

Doesn't Doc lead in ERA+ and WAR?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You SABR people are always cherry picking. Now you're going with traditional stats. :?

Doesn't Doc lead in ERA+ and WAR?

I have never really used SABR stats for pitchers. CC has a higher WAR than Verlander. Like I said, I think it's close to a toss up, just leading too many categories not to win it.
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    Love My Tigers!!!

Dombrowski has made all Good decisions and trades this past off season and during the season.

I think they are actually discussing Verlander and Scherzer at home, because Scherzer has a great ERA in Comerica. A whole run lower than in other parks, I believe. And Fister has been great anywhere and everywhere lately.
    If Verlander win 25...does he get the MVP as well as Cy Young? I believe he will only be the fourth pither since 69 to win 25. I say yes for 2 reasons...25 - 5 is damn good and without him being so solid in the the few months the tigers might not been in a position to make those trades that solidified their lineup...imo.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:
    If Verlander win 25...does he get the MVP as well as Cy Young? I believe he will only be the fourth pither since 69 to win 25. I say yes for 2 reasons...25 - 5 is damn good and without him being so solid in the the few months the tigers might not been in a position to make those trades that solidified their lineup...imo.

I think he has a chance since there is no clear cut favorite but I don't think he will or should. I just think the MVP has to be someone on the field every day. Hell of a year though. I think its going to be Kershaw and Kemp and Verlander and Ellsbury. Not really going out on a limb with that.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Love My Tigers!!!

I think they are actually discussing Verlander and Scherzer at home, because Scherzer has a great ERA in Comerica. A whole run lower than in other parks, I believe. And Fister has been great anywhere and everywhere lately.

If there playing Boston you might want to avoid Sherzer at Fenway, he has given up a lot of HR's. They still have to secure the 2nd seed though.

MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Love My Tigers!!!

The Tigers should aim for the number 1 seed, only 2 back of the Yankees with KC, Baltimore and Cleveland left on the schedule.

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I think he has a chance since there is no clear cut favorite but I don't think he will or should. I just think the MVP has to be someone on the field every day. Hell of a year though. I think its going to be Kershaw and Kemp and Verlander and Ellsbury. Not really going out on a limb with that.

Normally I would say no...but when he pitched he won, I think he has won 12 straight starts, just a phenominal year, i really believe he is the main reason they are in the position they are in...and now they are challenging the yankees for the # 1 seed. That is a debate that will go on till the end of time.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Normally I would say no...but when he pitched he won, I think he has won 12 straight starts, just a phenominal year, i really believe he is the main reason they are in the position they are in...and now they are challenging the yankees for the # 1 seed. That is a debate that will go on till the end of time.

I certainly see the argument and won't be upset if he does win it. You don't get much more dominating than he has been this year. Yeah, I thought he was at 11 straight but maybe it's 12 after today. Like I said, my only argument is that I think the MVP should be a position player, but I could very well be wrong.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I certainly see the argument and won't be upset if he does win it. You don't get much more dominating than he has been this year. Yeah, I thought he was at 11 straight but maybe it's 12 after today. Like I said, my only argument is that I think the MVP should be a position player, but I could very well be wrong.

Yes it's 12 after today...I won't be upset if he doesn't...I see the argument that he should be an everyday player and pitchers have the cy young...he has had one of the best year for a pitcher that I can remember...really special...

• Note the information about the Tigers below from Tom Verducci. They are overrated.
    Only three teams in the AL have as many as 35 wins within their division this year: the Tigers -- who are an astronomical 46-21 (.687) against AL Central teams but just 43-43 (.500) against the rest of baseball -- and then the Rays (36-26) and Red Sox (35-27).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Note the information about the Tigers below from Tom Verducci. They are overrated.
    Only three teams in the AL have as many as 35 wins within their division this year: the Tigers -- who are an astronomical 46-21 (.687) against AL Central teams but just 43-43 (.500) against the rest of baseball -- and then the Rays (36-26) and Red Sox (35-27).
    Hahaha...yeah...You can say they're overrated all you want. Not gonna change anything though.
    The only thing I worry about is them having peaked a little to early. Right this second I would put them up against ANY team in baseball!!! Don't look like they're gonna lose a series any time soon...They were not, however, this hot while playing against the rest of the league earlier in the year! So I wouldn't read to much into those stats.
    Cy Young is a no-brainer for Verlander...Also, if you don't think a pitcher responsible for 25% of all wins for a team could be the MVP, I think you are being unrealistic.
    Verlander is a MONSTER!!!! Best Pitcher in baseball!!! Bar none!
    GO TIGS!
    MLMF Det
    Hahaha...yeah...You can say they're overrated all you want. Not gonna change anything though.
    The only thing I worry about is them having peaked a little to early. Right this second I would put them up against ANY team in baseball!!! Don't look like they're gonna lose a series any time soon...They were not, however, this hot while playing against the rest of the league earlier in the year! So I wouldn't read to much into those stats.
    Cy Young is a no-brainer for Verlander...Also, if you don't think a pitcher responsible for 25% of all wins for a team could be the MVP, I think you are being unrealistic.
    Verlander is a MONSTER!!!! Best Pitcher in baseball!!! Bar none!
    GO TIGS!

I don't give a shit who wins the AL MVP, honestly. 24 wins is pretty fucking amazing in this day & age.

Did you ever wonder if your team is "hot" because they've been playing shitty AL Central teams for weeks? I think they are a good team, but certainly not a great team. I have trouble seeing them beating the Yankees in the ALCS. Maybe they'd get lucky and have Texas beat the Yankees before then.

• I don't give a shit who wins the AL MVP, honestly. 24 wins is pretty fucking amazing in this day & age.

Did you ever wonder if your team is "hot" because they've been playing shitty AL Central teams for weeks? I think they are a good team, but certainly not a great team. I have trouble seeing them beating the Yankees in the ALCS. Maybe they'd get lucky and have Texas beat the Yankees before then.
    The Tigers pitching rotation is far stronger than the Yankees and their offense is pretty consistent. I'd take the Tigers over Yankees in 6 games.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • I don't give a shit who wins the AL MVP, honestly. 24 wins is pretty fucking amazing in this day & age.

The Tigers pitching rotation is far stronger than the Yankees and their offense is pretty consistent. I'd take the Tigers over Yankees in 6 games.

It would be a cool series to watch. All the AL playoff matchups should be good.

It would be a cool series to watch. All the AL playoff matchups should be good.
    Agreed all the match ups should be good...that said...
    If you recall the 2006 Yankees were considered almost unbeatable...The Tigers took them out 3-1.
    I think the current Tigers team is more tight then the 2006 team (minus 2nd base...Polanco was awesome, until the WS). Conversely, I think the Yankees are nowhere near as deep. Either way I'll ride my Tigers to the Championship!
    MLMF Det
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Feel bad for the Pirates. How many consecutive losing seasons is that now for them?

Most disappointed team- Twins
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Feel bad for the Pirates. How many consecutive losing seasons is that now for them?

Yeah well, The Twins can take a season off... ;)
    MLMF Det
  • Feel bad for the Pirates. How many consecutive losing seasons is that now for them?

19. Phillies sweeping them put an end to their fairy tale.

Whatever. City of Pittsburgh can suck it.

Phillies didn't sweep the Tigs...
    Not that it was much better... :roll:
    MLMF Det

Not that it was much better... :roll:

Phillies swept the Pirates. Everyone blamed the 19 inning game but the Phila sweep, I think, really sent them into a tailspin.

Don't think Phillies have played Tigers in a while. I have no idea what you're talking about.

• 19. Phillies sweeping them put an end to their fairy tale.

Whatever. City of Pittsburgh can suck it.[/quote]
    Not that it was much better... :roll:[/quote]

Phillies swept the Pirates. Everyone blamed the 19 inning game but the Phila sweep, I think, really sent them into a tailspin.

Don't think Phillies have played Tigers in a while. I have no idea what you're talking about.[/quote]
    hahaha...don't mind me. It was the Pirates (that played the Tigs earlier this year) not Phillies... I misspoke. And I was just confused on the original post. My bad.
    MLMF Det
  • People keep bringing up the AL Central being weak to explain what the Tigers have been doing. But, when you look at the other numbers, it shows that's not the case. The Tigers have a really good record against all teams over .500, a winning record against the AL East, a winning record against the Yankees, the Rangers, and the Rays. Et cetera. I saw this info and all the specific numbers in an article last week, I think. But hell if I can remember them.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    MFCarissa wrote:
    People keep bringing up the AL Central being weak to explain what the Tigers have been doing. But, when you look at the other numbers, it shows that's not the case. The Tigers have a really good record against all teams over .500, a winning record against the AL East, a winning record against the Yankees, the Rangers, and the Rays. Et cetera. I saw this info and all the specific numbers in an article last week, I think. But hell if I can remember them.
    All those numbers don't mean anything once the postseason starts.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful