Any non sports fans in the house?

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    chadwick wrote:
    I understand if you just don’t get into sports…I don’t follow any but hockey. But to sit and act like you’re above those who do is pretty weak.
    These complaints almost always come from one of three types of people:
    Those who were bullied in school by ‘jocks’….
    The ultra-uncoordinated/unfit people who always got picked last for teams in gym class…
    And those who wanted to, but didn’t get to play sports as a kid, and out of bitterness towards their parents, they act superior to those who participate.

There are assholes in all walks of life, and those who abuse and corrupt good things…doesn't mean it's all pointless. That's like saying rock n roll sucks cause of Nickelback.

i was usually always picked among the first 3 kids when playing some activity in gym class.
    do i think sports are over rated today?
    yes...
    But that doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to like 'em.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:
    simple answer: the owners 130 years ago or whatever wanted extra hype. and it stuck. that's it.

that's fucking stupid as fuck

it was the late 1800's...what do you expect young chadwick?! :lol:[/quote]

mr. the jeagler
    i like you, you're a decent enough guy.
    but dude, the 1800's was a long time ago.
    a lot of things back then were dumb as hell.
    shit, in the 1800's we had a civil war over human slavery for christ sakes.

so some slick talkin asshole back in the 1800's deemed the winner of the season the world series champions?
    back then them fuckers barely played anyone.
    how many teams were there in 1892, 4 or 7?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Rygar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    I understand if you just don’t get into sports…I don’t follow any but hockey. But to sit and act like you’re above those who do is pretty weak.
    The ultra-uncoordinated/unfit people who always got picked last for teams in gym class…
    And those who wanted to, but didn’t get to play sports as a kid, and out of bitterness towards their parents, they act superior to those who participate.

There are assholes in all walks of life, and those who abuse and corrupt good things…doesn't mean it's all pointless. That's like saying rock n roll sucks cause of Nickelback.

i was usually always picked among the first 3 kids when playing some activity in gym class.
    yes...
    But that doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to like 'em.

very true
    youre right

but its fun to argue
    even online :mrgreen:

especially with sports freaks :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    i think everyone needs to make the distinction between professional sports and sports in general because some people on here are bashing sports as a whole rather than professional franchises. can we all agree that this debate is over professional sports?

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

ActionJack wrote:
    i think everyone needs to make the distinction between professional sports and sports in general because some people on here are bashing sports as a whole rather than professional franchises. can we all agree that this debate is over professional sports?
    and its about sports fans that go a bit overboard
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=b2ae1-ZIX4I one of many im sure
    btw, i swear i saw the jeagler in the crowd :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,623
    chadwick wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    People like sports for the same reason you like Pearl Jam. I assume you grew up as a musician and therefore respect and listen to pearl jam as they are a group of very talented musicians. Other people grew up playing sports and enjoy watching a group of very talented athletes perform. And competitive nature and civic pride (as Jeags said) and part of their family, etc.

i grew up playing football, baseball, and a little basketball.
    oddly enough i also was in boxing and kick boxing.
    i swam constantly, road bikes, lifted weights, and fucked around outdoors daily.
    i was built like a grown man at an early age due to all the exercise i did.
    and i watched sports on tv.

i started to dislike professional sports in my teenage years
    it's all about money.
    and it is very disgusting to my notion.

besides, super fans get on my nerves.
    if any of you are a super fan... you are under my skin :mrgreen:

there are plenty of people on this board who will say the same exact thing about music though.
    www.myspace.com
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    ActionJack wrote:
    No. The OP is not just ranting about pro sports, but sports in general:
    Cant claim to be a complete innocent here as i used to be a die hard jordan fan, but in general i dont get sports at all. and it often seems i am the only person in my town, or in the world who isnt caught up in the latest sports news or score or game or whatever. one of my favorite analogies came from a teacher, who suggested that sports fan mentality resembles nazi rallies in their ferver and outlandishness. i concur. i used to play sports. basketball was my thing. i was actually pretty talented. but in 6th grade or so, you had to start trying out to play, it became about single a, double a and triple a. i remember clearly being terrified of my 6th grade basketball coach, who was rude, and a complete jerk. the focus had shifted from just having a fun time, to winning and beating the other team. i could have cared less about any of that. Even now I have to laugh when some sports fan says "we won". Really, you were on the team and lead them on to victory, eh? i dislike sports cutthroat attitude in general, the nationalistic aspects of it, and the win at all costs attitude. we have seen the results of a society that lives by that rule, in the effects of steroids on baseball and how pervasive it is. the focus becomes winning, not on playing a game that you love. winning becomes the sole reason for playing.

in general sports is a distraction from whats important in life. and we all need distractions. i indulge in silly or frivolous things as well. but whereas going to see a movie as escapism has some redeeming qualities to it, i fail to see the societal importance of football for example. there was that spot on onion satire years ago, that went along the lines of "football player will never walk again due to injury, but his team wins".

my dad and uncle are sports nuts. first thing they talk about when they see each other, is about the local sports scene. its so foreign and bizaare to me.

etc etc
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    chadwick wrote:

yes...
    That's your prerogative. You didn't start a thread telling everyone who plays or follows them that they are being distracted from what's important in life.
    ActionJack wrote:
    No. The OP is not just ranting about pro sports, but sports in general:
    Cant claim to be a complete innocent here as i used to be a die hard jordan fan, but in general i dont get sports at all. and it often seems i am the only person in my town, or in the world who isnt caught up in the latest sports news or score or game or whatever. one of my favorite analogies came from a teacher, who suggested that sports fan mentality resembles nazi rallies in their ferver and outlandishness. i concur. i used to play sports. basketball was my thing. i was actually pretty talented. but in 6th grade or so, you had to start trying out to play, it became about single a, double a and triple a. i remember clearly being terrified of my 6th grade basketball coach, who was rude, and a complete jerk. the focus had shifted from just having a fun time, to winning and beating the other team. i could have cared less about any of that. Even now I have to laugh when some sports fan says "we won". Really, you were on the team and lead them on to victory, eh? i dislike sports cutthroat attitude in general, the nationalistic aspects of it, and the win at all costs attitude. we have seen the results of a society that lives by that rule, in the effects of steroids on baseball and how pervasive it is. the focus becomes winning, not on playing a game that you love. winning becomes the sole reason for playing.

in general sports is a distraction from whats important in life. and we all need distractions. i indulge in silly or frivolous things as well. but whereas going to see a movie as escapism has some redeeming qualities to it, i fail to see the societal importance of football for example. there was that spot on onion satire years ago, that went along the lines of "football player will never walk again due to injury, but his team wins".

my dad and uncle are sports nuts. first thing they talk about when they see each other, is about the local sports scene. its so foreign and bizaare to me.

etc etc
    yea i kno he is but the argument has kind of shifted .. just making sure everyone is on the same page now

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I play music, and I play sports.. Jamming brings friends together, but so does playing some pickup hoops! It's all fun shit!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I tend to agree that all too often professional sports serve as an opiate, or at the very least, a distraction to the what the masses should be focusing their time and energy on. We have a planet falling apart all around us, but the majority of folks don't care nearly as much about that as they do who wins whatever contest. Sad really. That being said, I do love to play sports, and will occasionally watch them as well. Not at home, because I have no tv. While I admire the dedication and physical prowess of most athletes, it still is just a game they play that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I tend to agree that all too often professional sports serve as an opiate, or at the very least, a distraction to the what the masses should be focusing their time and energy on. We have a planet falling apart all around us, but the majority of folks don't care nearly as much about that as they do who wins whatever contest. Sad really. That being said, I do love to play sports, and will occasionally watch them as well. Not at home, because I have no tv. While I admire the dedication and physical prowess of most athletes, it still is just a game they play that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
    intelligent and well said.
    the earth needs us human to stop, regroup, and get back to nature.
    btw, why astroturf? = a trademark for synthetic turf resembling grass.
    what a lightweight candy ass deal that is.
    where the hell is the dirt, the mud, the weather?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I agree that professional sports have become overly commercialized and too cutthroat, but that's the way everything is today. But in their essence, they are a good way to teach teamwork to kids, to harness their competitive spirit, to teach them how not be a sore loser (it's just a game anyway) and to keep them in shape.... and they are a good, fun way to keep adults in shape too. But you know, I think it's ridiculous how much professional athletes are paid today, and they're not as fun to watch as I remember when I was a kid (maybe I was spoiled by the 80's Celtics (best team to ever grace this Earth))??
  • my main complaint is all the pro sports people on this thread are coming to sports' defense saying it has positive aspects. and thats fine. that it teaches kids valuable lessons. my whole point is, the value of the local university sierra club, or photography club, is less valued civically, locally, nationally, than the sports team programs. i dont think its an either or platform. its not either sports or something else. i think though, as it exists now, its outrageously ill balanced. who's to say the university sierra club or photography club couldnt teach kids the same exact lessons a football team could? or a baseball team? maybe teach them different lessons as well, different but important lessons nonetheless?

thats my whole argument here. I slammed sports in general, and people are whining, "oh its important, it teaches kids this and that". Fine, but dont act like alot of other healthy activities wouldn't benefit our youth as well.

there needs to be a medium here. not all kids have a desire to be the next kobe or jeter or tiger. and we need to nuture those kids as well. we need to let them know their value in society is just as valid and important as the athlete, i'd argue its even more important. Money is poured into sports at all levels. i think maybe it would be prudent to pour less money into sports, and spread that money around to other areas.

we need to have spaces and places and opportunities for people who have no interest or facination in sportscenter.

For me, its almost like those of us who are non sports fans are freaks and wierdos. the responses on this thread prove that point. people act like "i feel bad for those who dont have civic pride like after the phillies won", or "sports is why I am alive" or stuff like that. ESPN is on 24 hours a day. Do we really need to hear about sports every single day of our lives?

All I am suggesting is that sports be put into context.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    so if you don't like sports, don't watch em.

use the remote. change the channel. don't read the sports page of the local newspaper. don't go to sporting events.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • its funny 81 you would say that because you are often in threads I start, and you frequently, most times are criticizing me. maybe you would be wise to take some of your own advice. dont like my statements on sports, fine, dont post on this thread. leave friend.
    its funny 81 you would say that because you are often in threads I start, and you frequently, most times are criticizing me. maybe you would be wise to take some of your own advice. dont like my statements on sports, fine, dont post on this thread. leave friend.

nobody's criticizing you. just saying, don't like sports, don't watch. :)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    my main complaint is all the pro sports people on this thread are coming to sports' defense saying it has positive aspects. and thats fine. that it teaches kids valuable lessons. my whole point is, the value of the local university sierra club, or photography club, is less valued civically, locally, nationally, than the sports team programs. i dont think its an either or platform. its not either sports or something else. i think though, as it exists now, its outrageously ill balanced. who's to say the university sierra club or photography club couldnt teach kids the same exact lessons a football team could? or a baseball team? maybe teach them different lessons as well, different but important lessons nonetheless?

thats my whole argument here. I slammed sports in general, and people are whining, "oh its important, it teaches kids this and that". Fine, but dont act like alot of other healthy activities wouldn't benefit our youth as well.

there needs to be a medium here. not all kids have a desire to be the next kobe or jeter or tiger. and we need to nuture those kids as well. we need to let them know their value in society is just as valid and important as the athlete, i'd argue its even more important. Money is poured into sports at all levels. i think maybe it would be prudent to pour less money into sports, and spread that money around to other areas.

we need to have spaces and places and opportunities for people who have no interest or facination in sportscenter.

For me, its almost like those of us who are non sports fans are freaks and wierdos. the responses on this thread prove that point. people act like "i feel bad for those who dont have civic pride like after the phillies won", or "sports is why I am alive" or stuff like that. ESPN is on 24 hours a day. Do we really need to hear about sports every single day of our lives?

All I am suggesting is that sports be put into context.

Well from strictly a development standpoint, I would not be where I am today if it were not for sports. I was able to get a free education because I was a good soccer player. To be honest, I would say there is an 80% chance I would not have made it through college if it were not for soccer. The discipline and hard work it taught me have had an extremely large impact on my professional success today.

I grew up wanting to be Don Mattingly and ended up being a successful profesisonal with a free education. I would say there is nothign wrong with that. If the sierra club is more your thing, then so be it. To each their own and whatever helps you go for it.

Its about the money and there is a reason the sierra club or photography club are not as valued at many of the large universities, they do not bring in millions and millions of dollars. Right or wrong, thats the way it is.

And to bring it full circle, I have a cousin who is an elementary school music teacher, he had a full ride to Florida State to be in the band which would not have had happened if it wer enot for the football team.
    The inbalance is due to the inbalance of intrest. Its as simple as that. You act like there's some greater force controlling where money goes... like sports are taking money out of the pocket of these other activities. If the money wasn't put into sports it wouldn't be put anywhere. Sports are another form of entertainment just like movies or music. If sports aren't your thing that's fine, but don't act like being passionate about them is a bad thing. You can't tell someone what to like or dislike.

what about nascar and stuff like that?
    isn't it pretty much a waste of fuel and whatnot?
    i thought we were having fuel issues and shit?

nicely done hillbilly dickheads.

sure it was fun at one time.
    that time is long gone.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

you could say the same thing about Pearl Jam concerts. how much gas will be used over the next couple of months transporting the band, crew, equipment around? not to mention the fuel we are all going to use to get from home to the venue.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ActionJack wrote:
    The inbalance is due to the inbalance of intrest. Its as simple as that. You act like there's some greater force controlling where money goes... like sports are taking money out of the pocket of these other activities. If the money wasn't put into sports it wouldn't be put anywhere. Sports are another form of entertainment just like movies or music. If sports aren't your thing that's fine, but don't act like being passionate about them is a bad thing. You can't tell someone what to like or dislike.

thats preposterous. so their are more people who play sports at universities or are fans of the sports teams, than their are artists, activists, photographers, whatever you want to fill in the blank with? Thats absurd. I am non traditional and unorthodox, but you cant tell me more people are interested in how the lakers do in the playoffs, as opposed to hwo many people are into music or politics or whatever.

some one is controlling the money. and it aint me, and it aint my friends. it is people who already have a ton of money who control where the funds for a university go. sports at university levels have funds, budgets and stuff. where does that comes from? Who decides how much the budget is?

on the flip side, dont act like being passionate about other things OTHER than sports is a bad thing. Dont tell me I cant enjoy non sports things. Why are people in this thread so stubborn and resistant to even the proposal from someone like me who has zero power, that funds need to be spread out evenly for a university?

someone talked about sports scholarships, and how great they were. fine. but just as important are scholastic scholarships, art scholarships, social justice scholarships. maybe we need to spend less time courting the next jeter and TO and spend more time, cultivating the next Hawking, King, Dylan, Steinbeck, or Vedder?
  • its all about choices. if volunteering at the local sup kitchen or painting a landscape were as media hyped as the local university football game, then you would have interest, overwhelming interest. but somehow people deem seeing players paralyze others in football as something not only important and tv worthy but gambling worthy, whereas, the local artist who creates a beautiful mural or the student knitting club, or the hiking club or whatever, is left with no media coverage. you cant honestly tell me thats fair.

thats preposterous. so their are more people who play sports at universities or are fans of the sports teams, than their are artists, activists, photographers, whatever you want to fill in the blank with? Thats absurd. I am non traditional and unorthodox, but you cant tell me more people are interested in how the lakers do in the playoffs, as opposed to hwo many people are into music or politics or whatever.

some one is controlling the money. and it aint me, and it aint my friends. it is people who already have a ton of money who control where the funds for a university go. sports at university levels have funds, budgets and stuff. where does that comes from? Who decides how much the budget is?

this is simply not true. The fact is 110,000 students, alumni and fans show up to happy valley every saturday in the fall to watch a football game and that is simply the reason these programs have some much money. I don't see 110,000 people showing up to a photography or art exhibit. Its just a fact of life. Sports make money for the school, therefore they receive the most money. case closed. The better a schools team is the more money the school has for everything.
    edited April 2010
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

you could say the same thing about Pearl Jam concerts. how much gas will be used over the next couple of months transporting the band, crew, equipment around? not to mention the fuel we are all going to use to get from home to the venue.
    that's a bullshit way out.
    racing around in circles is not a concert nor a traveling band or traveling people to see a musical act.
    sure pearl jam and other musicians use fuel but they are not out there racing buses and tractor trailers around as we all watch in screaming rages. look, its eddie vedder closing in on matt cameron...but wait.. ladies and gentleman boom is gaining ground and has his organ pedal to the metal...for real, he has a giant organ
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

someone talked about sports scholarships, and how great they were. fine. but just as important are scholastic scholarships, art scholarships, social justice scholarships. maybe we need to spend less time courting the next jeter and TO and spend more time, cultivating the next Hawking, King, Dylan, Steinbeck, or Vedder?

I can promise you that there are 1000% more kids on academic scholarship than athletic scholarship in every school in the nation. Sports get attention because they make money!
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

this is simply not true. The fact is 110,000 students, alumni and fans show up to happy valley every saturday in the fall to watch a football game and that is simply the reason these programs have some much money. I don't see 110,000 people showing up to a photography or art exhibit. Its just a fact of life. Sports make money for the school, therefore they receive the most money. case closed. The better a schools team is the more money the school has for everything.

depends on the art/artist. you dont think that if someone like tyler shields a big name photographer, or big name artist like banksy or shepard fairey came to a public place that the place would be packed and the crowd would be insane? its all exposure as i said. i am not aware of a 24 hours art tv channel or radio station. the press for art of any kind is way less than any sports event. how many big name bands started in college? what about colleges doing something to cultivate that?

my question is, is sports really the way schools want to be making most of their money? What about allowing the other sections of the university make some bank, or have access to it?
    Thatis exactly what I'm telling you. There are more sport fans and thletes than whoever else. Why do u think there is so much money put into sports... because the masses love them. There's not some kind of conspiracy against non sports activities. The money isn't there because the demand isn't there. ESPN isn't on 24 hrs a dayto brainwash you. Its on 24 hrs a day because people are interested in it. If they weren't it wouldn't be on. Plain and simple. Sports get the money they earn and so do other activities get the money they earn. If there's an inbalance what does that tell you?

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    chadwick wrote:

yes...
    That's your prerogative. You didn't start a thread telling everyone who plays or follows them that they are being distracted from what's important in life.

agreed.
    especially since the OP looks to many movie stars - zach braff, sean penn - and to many indie musicians - as life-guides. and, i am not at ALL being critical of that, simply pointing out....same coin, just a different side.

and i am NOT a sports fan, at all - nor is my husband for watching pro sports....but he loves to participate in sports. however, i do see a lot of value in sports....just as i do in the arts. someone made mention of these things as ADDING to life in general, and i agree. it's not a distraction from what's 'important'...it's all a PART of what's important.

and lizard - how romantic!
    a bowling alley eh? ;)
    :mrgreen:

hell, the ancient greeks and romans, models for modern civilization, both greatly valued both art AND sport.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

depends on the art/artist. you dont think that if someone like tyler shields a big name photographer, or big name artist like banksy or shepard fairey came to a public place that the place would be packed and the crowd would be insane? its all exposure as i said. i am not aware of a 24 hours art tv channel or radio station. the press for art of any kind is way less than any sports event. how many big name bands started in college? what about colleges doing something to cultivate that?

my question is, is sports really the way schools want to be making most of their money? What about allowing the other sections of the university make some bank, or have access to it?

Art and photography will never pull the same crowds as sports. It is just the way it is. America by nature is a competitve country and loves their sports. I am all about arts and music, i know very little but I am all for supporting it.

I am pretty sure if there was money to be made in a 24 hours art channel or radio station there would be one.

Please give me one reason why making money off sports is a bad thing? Athletics have been part of universities since they were founded. Other sections of the university do have access to that money, especially in a priviate instituation. I don't really get where you are coming from. Arts and Music are supported by schools, so I dont really understand what your problem is. It seems like you either went to the wrong school or just plain have a problem with the world