Any non sports fans in the house?

Comments

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I think people use the word Nazi too much.

I don't understand people who are NOT into sports. To each, his own.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    I'M A MAN ...of course i'm into it
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826
    civic pride. that's what i absolutely love about sports more than anything else.

you mentioned going to the movies as a form of escapism. sport is entertainment too. but the overwhelming feeling accomplishment and happiness when your city's team comes together and wins a championship is like no other feeling i have ever imagined....and i am from philadelphia where i've only gotten to experience that one glorious time in my life (the first few when i was little don't count!). the night the phillies won and then the parade with 3 million other friends were two of the most joyous days of my entire life.

Exactly. The feeling of a whole city coming together to root for one team is awesome. And the feeling of that team winning a championship is even better (although not the entire city came together when the White Sox won the world series in 05). Like the Jeagler, the night the Sox won the world series and the ensuing victory parade through downtown Chicago were two of the happiest days of my life. Some may call that sad, but for me it doesn't get any better than that.

Hoping for antoher victory parade when the Blachawks hoist the Cup in June! And that would be something the entire city of Chicago could enjoy.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    I'M A MAN ...of course i'm into it
    interesting
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited April 2010
    why is the world series called the world series?
    who the fuck are they playing outside the usa?
    i never knew the ny yankee played the london kings or the bangkok chop sueys. :shock:

world series = shitty ass name for a winning title

plus in football dont they say world champion super bowl whatevers, something like that?
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    edited April 2010
    I'd like to add... I've never have had a sports championship in my town... I know when it does happen, my dad and I will most likely cry tears of joy!(the only one he's got in his lifetime was the Sonics in the 70s)

Furthermore, I live in Montreal now for University.. There was an older gentleman in our class, Andy, probably about 70. Whenever you mentioned the Habs, he lit up like a Christmas tree.
    Post edited by keeponrockin on
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    Only sissies don't like sports.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    SS25454 wrote:
    Only sissies don't like sports.
    burp...

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    edited April 2010
    Horos wrote:
    You really do need to find a job. I too live in Eugene. If it wasn't for the sports programs at the University they would have less money to spend than they do now. If it wasn't for Nike you would have had to pay at least double for that degree.

hey shut up horos. ok, cool. yeah i will just change my philosophy of life because horos says i should. yeah let me get to work on that. and i surely will bown down to nike, a modern day slave corporation, that has sweatshops where honduran mothers and children work for 10 cents a shoe, that eventually sells for 100 bucks. yeah, i am pro nike now. thanks horos. thanks for showing me the light.
    I don't see where I was trying to change your philosophy. I was merely pointing out that the sports programs bring money into the schools. The other programs you mentioned getting cut bring in less to nothing. Nike didn't become huge just by exploiting the labor market. They are huge because people love sports. That's one of the great things about Eugene we have a huge Duck following but we still don't mind a few @#$%$^&* like you too.
    Post edited by Horos on
    #FHP
    chadwick wrote:
    i never knew the ny yankee played the london kings or the bangkok chop sueys. :shock:

plus in football dont they say world champion super bowl whatevers, something like that?

come on smart fuckers...
    explain this to me.
    why the world series??
    who the fuck they playin?... nobody

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,617
    civic pride. that's what i absolutely love about sports more than anything else.

you mentioned going to the movies as a form of escapism. sport is entertainment too. but the overwhelming feeling accomplishment and happiness when your city's team comes together and wins a championship is like no other feeling i have ever imagined....and i am from philadelphia where i've only gotten to experience that one glorious time in my life (the first few when i was little don't count!). the night the phillies won and then the parade with 3 million other friends were two of the most joyous days of my entire life.

Exactly. The feeling of a whole city coming together to root for one team is awesome. And the feeling of that team winning a championship is even better (although not the entire city came together when the White Sox won the world series in 05). Like the Jeagler, the night the Sox won the world series and the ensuing victory parade through downtown Chicago were two of the happiest days of my life. Some may call that sad, but for me it doesn't get any better than that.

Hoping for antoher victory parade when the Blachawks hoist the Cup in June! And that would be something the entire city of Chicago could enjoy.

another reason why i can't understand fraud fans who jump on other city's team's bandwagons. must be so depressing celebrating by yourself while another city across the country is exloding in jubilation...that's what i don't get about those people.
    www.myspace.com
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

come on smart fuckers...
    explain this to me.
    why the world series??

simple answer: the owners 130 years ago or whatever wanted extra hype. and it stuck. that's it.
    www.myspace.com
    Horos wrote:
    I don't see where I was trying to change your philosophy. I was merely pointing out that the sports programs bring money into the schools. The other programs you mentioned getting cut bring in less to nothing. Nike didn't become huge just by exploiting the labor market. They are huge because people love sports. That's one of the great things about Eugene we have a huge Duck following but we still don't mind a few pussies like you too.

pussies huh?
    nicely done :?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

come on smart fuckers...
    explain this to me.
    why the world series??

simple answer: the owners 130 years ago or whatever wanted extra hype. and it stuck. that's it.

that's fucking stupid as fuck

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    oh by the way
    nascar sucks ass

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

come on smart fuckers...
    explain this to me.
    why the world series??

I got nothin, cause I completely agree. Does that fall along the same lines, when The Red Sox win a game the fans say " WE WON, WE WON!!!" did they play? were they on the field???
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Theovl316 wrote:
    I got nothin, cause I completely agree. Does that fall along the same lines, when The Red Sox win a game the fans say " WE WON, WE WON!!!" did they play? were they on the field???

they won shit is what they won

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

come on smart fuckers...
    explain this to me.
    why the world series??

Fart.....
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    SS25454 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

come on smart fuckers...
    explain this to me.
    why the world series??

Fart.....
    that stinks :sick:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

come on smart fuckers...
    explain this to me.
    why the world series??
    If you want to get technical there are teams in Canada.
    #FHP
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Sports is such a wide reaching term. While I don't really care that much about team sports, I do like watching more individual sports such as skating, or swimming, track, that sort of thing. Team sports and all sports to serve an important function. When kids are young, it does help keep them busy on a positive activity instead of getting into trouble due to boredom.

I will confess to some state pride last year while in Philly for the PJ shows. I and other New Yorkers were constantly hearing 'yankees suck' on the trains, in the hallways of the Spectrum, and I confess to being quite pleased when the Yankees proved without shadow of a doubt, that they most certainly did not suck. :twisted:

In closing, I'd like to see more people DOING sports, rather than sitting on their ass WATCHING sports (what can I say, I teach fitness classes), and it is my opinion that the world is big enough for those who like sports, and those who don't. We can all peacefully do our own thing.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Horos wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

come on smart fuckers...
    explain this to me.
    why the world series??
    If you want to get technical there are teams in Canada.

are you serious?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    ActionJack wrote:
    sports can teach you valuable life lessons as well as form lifelong friendships. They occupy alot of free time for our youth which keeps them out of trouble. They build character. I can see if one has a problem with pro sports going overboard with exposure, but tons of money can ruin just about anything. personally, i dont kno where id be today without sports.

the question is, is it sane to pump millions into sports programs? Cant we as a society maybe come up with a better use of those funds?
    Ask yourself this..

Why do we pump millions of dollars into music and concerts?
    or movies?
    or games?
    or alcohol?

Sports is just another form of entertainment. To say we should put our money elsewhere is to say stop enjoying life.

It really sucks that athletes, certain musicians and movie stars get paid more than teachers, but that's the nature of the beast. It's what people truly want.
    chadwick wrote:

that's fucking stupid as fuck[/quote]

it was the late 1800's...what do you expect young chadwick?! :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    People like sports for the same reason you like Pearl Jam. I assume you grew up as a musician and therefore respect and listen to pearl jam as they are a group of very talented musicians. Other people grew up playing sports and enjoy watching a group of very talented athletes perform. And competitive nature and civic pride (as Jeags said) and part of their family, etc.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I follow no sports. My GF was watching hockey the other day and it said on the ice "stanley cup finals" or something. She told me it was almost the end of hockey season. If someone said the World Series was about to occur, I wouldn't have questioned it... well... except now that I think of it the Halloween show was next to the world series last year so now I have a marker for it.

...anyway, a true non-sports fan here.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited April 2010
    wedgie.gif
    n1906079_33688626_6937.jpg
    ;);)

I understand if you just don’t get into sports…I don’t follow any but hockey. But to sit and act like you’re above those who do is pretty weak.
    These complaints almost always come from one of three types of people:
    Those who were bullied in school by ‘jocks’….
    The ultra-uncoordinated/unfit people who always got picked last for teams in gym class…
    And those who wanted to, but didn’t get to play sports as a kid, and out of bitterness towards their parents, they act superior to those who participate.

There are assholes in all walks of life, and those who abuse and corrupt good things…doesn't mean it's all pointless. That's like saying rock n roll sucks cause of Nickelback.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    People like sports for the same reason you like Pearl Jam. I assume you grew up as a musician and therefore respect and listen to pearl jam as they are a group of very talented musicians. Other people grew up playing sports and enjoy watching a group of very talented athletes perform. And competitive nature and civic pride (as Jeags said) and part of their family, etc.

i grew up playing football, baseball, and a little basketball.
    oddly enough i also was in boxing and kick boxing.
    i swam constantly, road bikes, lifted weights, and fucked around outdoors daily.
    i was built like a grown man at an early age due to all the exercise i did.
    and i watched sports on tv.

i started to dislike professional sports in my teenage years
    it's all about money.
    and it is very disgusting to my notion.

besides, super fans get on my nerves.
    if any of you are a super fan... you are under my skin :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Bowling. Now THAT's a sport.
    I met my husband at a bowling alley.

True story. :D

P.S. I like baseball!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    I understand if you just don’t get into sports…I don’t follow any but hockey. But to sit and act like you’re above those who do is pretty weak.
    These complaints almost always come from one of three types of people:
    Those who were bullied in school by ‘jocks’….
    The ultra-uncoordinated/unfit people who always got picked last for teams in gym class…
    And those who wanted to, but didn’t get to play sports as a kid, and out of bitterness towards their parents, they act superior to those who participate.

There are assholes in all walks of life, and those who abuse and corrupt good things…doesn't mean it's all pointless. That's like saying rock n roll sucks cause of Nickelback.

i was usually always picked among the first 3 kids when playing some activity in gym class.
    do i think sports are over rated today?
    yes...

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce