Favourite Stephen King Books?

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,664
    It looks like The Stand and The Dark Tower are both still in holding patterns
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,365
    Not sure but when King himself tweets that out, The Dark Tower might be on.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,512
    cujo.
    the long walk
    running man
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    hmmm. Not sure I like it. From what Im reading it is one movie and hopefully they can go from there? It doesnt start with The Gunslinger?

I dont really care about the Idris Elba playing the part of Roland with the 'race issue'. I think he will be a pretty good Roland.

I think this project needs a clear cut vision/direction. The best way epic stories are shown this day and age is the TV/streaming series. Sell it to HBO, Showtime, or AMC as a 2-season, 10 episode-each series with a clear-cut beginning and end.

The same goes for The Stand, but could do that in 1 season.

Also, keep it true to the source material. I want to see the story Stephen King wrote. Not the story "Nikolaj Arcel" wrote.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 19,040
    It can't be done in one movie..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Flagg said:

The Stand

The Shining

The Dead Zone

The Dark Tower Series

Pet Semetary

Pet Semetary affected me the most. When I read it, I was just getting into King. I hadn't seen the stupid movie so I was blind going in. But my son was only two at the time that I read the book. Well, if you've read it, you can imagine the impact that story has. I couldn't shake those images for awhile.

Out of all the lame King movie adaptations, that is the one that deserves a remake the most. If you go back and read that story and pretend you don't know anything about it, it is pretty terrifying and truly disturbing. No wonder he put it away in a drawer after finishing it and refused to publish it for awhile. Pretty fucked up stuff.

One of the most fucked up books ever. Deliciously morbid, and his depth of characters and their pain is on par with literary greats.
    And yes, the movie was terrible.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    The Dark Tower series
    Insomnia
    Hearts in Atlantis
    All of his short story collections have flashes of true brilliance.
    edited March 2016
    rgambs said:

Flagg said:

The Stand

The Shining

The Dead Zone

The Dark Tower Series

Pet Semetary

Pet Semetary affected me the most. When I read it, I was just getting into King. I hadn't seen the stupid movie so I was blind going in. But my son was only two at the time that I read the book. Well, if you've read it, you can imagine the impact that story has. I couldn't shake those images for awhile.

Out of all the lame King movie adaptations, that is the one that deserves a remake the most. If you go back and read that story and pretend you don't know anything about it, it is pretty terrifying and truly disturbing. No wonder he put it away in a drawer after finishing it and refused to publish it for awhile. Pretty fucked up stuff.

One of the most fucked up books ever. Deliciously morbid, and his depth of characters and their pain is on par with literary greats.
    I never read Pet Cemetary but I did see the movie. Now that you say the book was ten times morbid and disturbing I probably never will. I have an over-active imagination as it is. It is hard for me to get those images out of my head. That's why I stopped watching American Horror Story after the first few seasons--such gory shit but great writing and acting. That's also why I couldn't read too much into the West Memphis Three case a few years back on here. I wanted to really try and get to the bottom of it but those images...:angry: I have a son too. I feel bad for the detectives and lawyers out there who have to see crime scene images on a daily basis and still try to maintain a normal family life...kudos to them.

I thought the original Pet Cemetary movie was a classic, but could see it as a good remake also. I would never let my son watch it till he's like 18 or something--poor boy has already been exposed to crazy video games and t.v. shows. I don't think I want him reading any Stephen King books till he's an adult...lol. Although oddly enough, the one I mentioned--The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was a AR type of book for the highschoolers around here 5 or so years ago--they may have changed it by now. I think they had them read it because you can also look at it from a religious aspect--of the girl fighting off the evil forces too survive.
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on

rgambs said:

Flagg said:

The Stand

The Shining

The Dead Zone

The Dark Tower Series

Pet Semetary

I never read Pet Cemetary but I did see the movie. Now that you say the book was ten times morbid and disturbing I probably never will. I have an over-active imagination as it is. It is hard for me to get those images out of my head. That's why I stopped watching American Horror Story after the first few seasons--such gory shit but great writing and acting. That's also why I couldn't read too much into the West Memphis Three case a few years back on here. I wanted to really try and get to the bottom of it but those images...:angry: I have a son too. I feel bad for the detectives and lawyers out there who have to see crime scene images on a daily basis and still try to maintain a normal family life...kudos to them.

I thought the original Pet Cemetary movie was a classic, but could see it as a good remake also. I would never let my son watch it till he's like 18 or something--poor boy has already been exposed to crazy video games and t.v. shows. I don't think I want him reading any Stephen King books till he's an adult...lol. Although oddly enough, the one I mentioned--The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was a AR type of book for the highschoolers around here 5 or so years ago--they may have changed it by now. I think they had them read it because you can also look at it from a religious aspect--of the girl fighting off the evil forces too survive.
    Actually, the book is 10x better, but not more morbid. Less.
    In the movie you see this hellacious accident unfold and then practically 5 minutes later he is in the Cemetery with his son. It is disjointed and jarring, but the book is better. He dives deep into some serious grief, it is well written and it makes his desperation palpable. Digging up his son becomes much more of a plausible action.

I read Insomnia when I was 12 lol
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Flagg said:

The Stand

The Shining

The Dead Zone

The Dark Tower Series

Pet Semetary

Actually, the book is 10x better, but not more morbid. Less.
    In the movie you see this hellacious accident unfold and then practically 5 minutes later he is in the Cemetery with his son. It is disjointed and jarring, but the book is better. He dives deep into some serious grief, it is well written and it makes his desperation palpable. Digging up his son becomes much more of a plausible action.

I read Insomnia when I was 12 lol
    Wow, I might try reading it sometime. I think a remake of the movie would be good but that semi- truck scene?--I don't know if the general public wants to relive that again--too emotional.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,857
    I 100% agree that Pet Semetary the book is WAAAAAAY better than the movie. I think the movie absolutely sucks compared to the book, just like with The Shining.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    The Stand (by far)
    The Shining
    Dark Tower
    Under The Dome
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    PJ_Soul said:

I 100% agree that Pet Semetary the book is WAAAAAAY better than the movie. I think the movie absolutely sucks compared to the book, just like with The Shining.

One of the few I haven't read but I still have a couple in front of it.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    I read it a long time ago. Dont recall being too moved.

I have young kids though. Dont think Ill read it again any time soon.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    That horrid TV mess made me like Under The Dome less, but it shouldn't. Very good book, like that it made your list.
    Still haven't watched the Hulu version of 11.22.63. Loved the book.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited March 2016
    MayDay10 said:

I read it a long time ago. Dont recall being too moved.

I have young kids though. Dont think Ill read it again any time soon.

If you're still talking Pet Semetary, no, it's not the greatest SK book. Definitely not in my top 5 or even 10. But it's still really good IMO (coming from someone who thinks pretty much all of his books are really good - it's like on a scale from perfect to really pretty good, lol.... Not a fan of the Dark Tower series at all though. Not my thing. It's more fantasy to me, and i don't go for fantasy novels. I actually couldn't even get past the second book of the series).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,711
    Different seasons is the best King book IMHO. I thought his writing became too formulaic after IT.
    The Bachman's book are great, beside the Thinner..i love the Long walk..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Get_Right said:

Different seasons is the best King book IMHO. I thought his writing became too formulaic after IT.

this is my most treasured book(for personal reasons). I think every 12 year old should read 'the body'. I am such a fan of stephen king . hes an awesome story teller. the last couple of books I read of his(finders keepers & 11.22.63), he appeared to self reference which lead me to read mr mercedes and IT. I picked up IT whilst away and was told by my youngest THAT book would not be allowed in the house. fortunately I finished it whilst away and left it behind... the topic of clowns, bathroom drains and gutter drains are not allowed to be alluded to, let alone discussed... not even in jest. next up... salems lot.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    IT was indeed scary and I loved the reference in 11.22.63.
    Hi CF, glad to see you back here!
    edited March 2016

Get_Right said:

this is my most treasured book(for personal reasons). I think every 12 year old should read 'the body'. I am such a fan of stephen king . hes an awesome story teller. the last couple of books I read of his(finders keepers & 11.22.63), he appeared to self reference which lead me to read mr mercedes and IT. I picked up IT whilst away and was told by my youngest THAT book would not be allowed in the house. fortunately I finished it whilst away and left it behind... the topic of clowns, bathroom drains and gutter drains are not allowed to be alluded to, let alone discussed... not even in jest. next up... salems lot.

The Stand is my favorite, but yeah, Different Seasons is great, although the Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me are much better movies than they are a books IMO. I like Apt Pupil the most from the book (the movie kind of sucks).
    But the Bachman Books is my second fave. The Long Walk, The Running Man, Rage,... and that other one that no one ever remembers (including myself right now... Is it Roadwork??). The Long Walk and The Running Man especially left a huge impression on me. I read them and The Stand for the first time when I was still a kid - maybe 11 or 12 - and ever since I have been completely fascinated with the theme of dystopias. It is the number one theme that I go for when it comes to books and movies; it just makes me think so much about the what-ifs, and that is so interesting to me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,711

Get_Right said:

Stand by me and the shawshank redemption in one book -what else needs to be said?
    This may sound odd, but the one book that really scared me when I was reading it was Christine.
    Never got into the dark tower or any of that other stuff.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

IT was indeed scary and I loved the reference in 11.22.63.
    Hi CF, glad to see you back here!

hi. :)

I didn't find It scary cause #1 I don't have nightmares and #2 it was all about the kids... even though the grownups seemed to know something wasn't right with derry yet ignored it all. bastards. oh and the events at the end of the story made me cry. I never thought Stephen king would make me cry. lol

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    edited May 2016
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    The stand
    The girl who loved Tom Gordon
    Dream catcher
    Cell
    Full dark, no stars
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,710
    Forgot they were making a remake of "It". I haven't seen the original in probably like 20 years cause it scared me to death (no pun intended). Not sure how i feel about a remake. might have to watch the first one again though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Down to last episode of 11.22.63 adaptation on Hulu.

Anyone else watch this? Not in the same realm as the book, but not bad at all.

https://youtu.be/NXUx__qQGew