"$3.50 Ten Club handling Fee"?

Comments

• DS114969 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Yeah Pearl Jam should just go broke being one of the best live bands in the world. They don't deserve being paid for working at something for 20+ years. They totally don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. They don't donate personal items and signed shit for charities and people. None of that right? :roll:

do you really think they are going broke? Phish can play the garden for 50 bucks a pop yet Pearl Jam is starving at 85 bucks a pop?

No they aren't going broke, but people seem to forget that Pearl Jam is a business and the goal of a business is to maximize profits. Could the band charge less? Yes, of course they could. But why should they if they don't have to? I know its hard for so many of you to accept, but they want to make money for themselves and the people that work for them. It doesn't matter what Ed said 15 years ago he obviously changed his mind. Concert tickets are a luxury item, and if people can't afford them then they can't go. I find $75/ticket pretty reasonable for most sections. I don't think that's reasonable for a nose bleed section so if that was my only option, I wouldn't go.
    i thought Pearl Jam was a band (or, god forbid, artists), not a business. i wonder how they would describe themselves.
  • What the hell is this for? Shouldn't our $20 a year cover that?

"$3.50 Ten Club handling fee, $2.00 charity donation, and a $4.50 venue fee."

They were so against service charges back in the day now and they have their own. And what do you get for it? 60 minutes of wasted refreshes, carts being emptied, error message and general disgust. Lets say they have 1000 tickets at $3.50 per that's $3500 per show for literally stuffing tickets in an envelope at Will Call. Thanks 10 Club!
    It costs $3.50 for 10c to process your credit card transaction.
    have a great day.
    slh
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    SolarWorld wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Yeah Pearl Jam should just go broke being one of the best live bands in the world. They don't deserve being paid for working at something for 20+ years. They totally don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. They don't donate personal items and signed shit for charities and people. None of that right? :roll:

Broke? Hahaha. So after doing a solo tour and charging $80 a ticket Ed is broke? And he didn't make a dime for the into the wild soundtrack? And Target didn't give them a lump sum for Backspacer? And they aren't getting paid for their music being used in all of these TV shows? And they don't get any money from poster sales or t-shirt sales? I'm sure they didn't make hundreds of thousands on the Spectrum show tickets and merch. And that article a few months ago that said they made $25 million touring from 2006-2008 must have been false. You are totally right...they must be broke.

And kudos to them for donating autographed posters for charity and $2 per ticket of MY MONEY to the charity of their choice.

Solar, are you a fan of ticketmaster service charges?

And this thread has gotten hostile. Lets try to tone it down a bit.

You guys just wont let me leave...

$25 million is what they GROSSED not what they put in their pockets. You are ignoring basic concepts like "increased operating costs" and "inflation". Im not hostile just pointing out the painfully obvious. But Im done now. Make sure you guys dont renew!

OH NO! So you mean they only had $15-$20 million to split?? Poor things!
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    dunkman wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Rock concerts are not for poor people.

neither are man sized sheep outfits

:lol::lol:

The point of service charges tacked on by any ticket agency is for them to take their bit of the pie. I thought people knew that. 10C's "handling fee" is probably the same thing. We're all being taken with that minimal charge.
  • What the hell is this for? Shouldn't our $20 a year cover that?

They were so against service charges back in the day now and they have their own. And what do you get for it? 60 minutes of wasted refreshes, carts being emptied, error message and general disgust. Lets say they have 1000 tickets at $3.50 per that's $3500 per show for literally stuffing tickets in an envelope at Will Call. Thanks 10 Club!
    have a great day.
    slh
    you're joking right?
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    they could of just buried the 3.50 in the cost of the ticket. Maybe its for accounting purposes. Maybe 10C LLC is its own entity and has costs and revenues it needs to show. That same $3.50 will probably end up being 15.50 on TM.

Wow, first person to use some practical business sense in this entire post.

I don't care to defend the band either way, but you could look at every dollar from every ticket and break it out by what it's going to be used for, and everyone would have something to complain about.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    MrSmith wrote:
    i thought Pearl Jam was a band (or, god forbid, artists), not a business. i wonder how they would describe themselves.

These things are not mutually exclusive, imo.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • do they go by Pearl Jam Inc. or Pearl Jam LLC or what?
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    So give your business to Ticketmaster.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
    MrSmith wrote:
    What the hell is this for? Shouldn't our $20 a year cover that?

have a great day.
    slh
    you're joking right?

10C could use a company to process these charges, plus the CC companies also take a percentage. I don't see what's wrong with his explanation. They are just passing their costs on to the consumers.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    $25 million is what they GROSSED not what they put in their pockets. You are ignoring basic concepts like "increased operating costs" and "inflation". Im not hostile just pointing out the painfully obvious. But Im done now. Make sure you guys dont renew![/quote]

OH NO! So you mean they only had $15-$20 million to split?? Poor things![/quote]

They're making 60-80% profit? Highly doubtful. In fact, flip that number to 20%, probably more realistic.
  • teflonsteveteflonsteve Posts: 275

have a great day.
    slh

Thanks for breathing some life into this issue.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    The $3.50 fee is not part of the $20 membership fee, why should it be? There are many members that don't get to buy tickets and attend shows. Why should these members subsidise those buying tickets?

I'm pretty sure PJ took to Ticketmaster over exorbitant and unfair service fees and charges etc and their exploitation of the monopoly they had. There is nothing over the top about $3.50 fee is there? Maybe Ticketmaster are charging 10C for their fanclub allotment and 10C have decided to pass on this cost when maybe they've absorbed it before. It's hard to know their reasoning.

In any case, people can complain as much as they like. Maybe things will change, maybe they won't. Do people really give other companies advice on how to run their business? That's bizarre to me. If you don't like the service, you leave right? Take your money elsewhere. I guess that's what should happen in this instance too.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,363

have a great day.
    slh

A lot of this is optics. If the fee had been labeled "Credit Card Processing Fee," it wouldn't be nearly as controversial. When it's labeled "Ten Club Handling Fee," people's minds immediately think of the most famous purveyor of handling fees-- Ticketmaster-- and how Pearl Jam inveighed against it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • DP13DP13 Posts: 276

have a great day.
    slh

#1 There is no fee to purchase other goods from your store with a credit card. It is just "acceptable" to expect a fee when purchasing tickets, which once upon a time the band fought very hard against.

#2 Every credit card merchant provider that I have come accross does not allow merchants to charge fees for accepting credit cards. So most likely this is against your contract with your vendor.

I really hope this isn't newsworthy.... sure seems like a chance for the PJ hating music media to pile on.

Just another mistake made by PJ management.
  • all this talk about maximizing profits and passing on costs to the consumers is really putting me in the mood to rock against the man!
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    knowcode10 wrote:
    $25 million is what they GROSSED not what they put in their pockets. You are ignoring basic concepts like "increased operating costs" and "inflation". Im not hostile just pointing out the painfully obvious. But Im done now. Make sure you guys dont renew!

OH NO! So you mean they only had $15-$20 million to split?? Poor things![/quote]

They're making 60-80% profit? Highly doubtful. In fact, flip that number to 20%, probably more realistic.[/quote]

I honestly don't care about that. It is none of my business what they make. I brought that up in response to Solar insinuating that they are going broke.
  • DP13 wrote:

have a great day.
    slh

#2 Every credit card merchant provider that I have come accross does not allow merchants to charge fees for accepting credit cards. So most likely this is against your contract with your vendor.

I guess you have never been to a mini-mart. Credit card transaction fees are charged all the time.
    Gorge
  • teflonsteveteflonsteve Posts: 275
    MrSmith wrote:
    all this talk about maximizing profits and passing on costs to the consumers is really putting me in the mood to rock against the man!

haha
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
    DP13 wrote:

have a great day.
    slh

#1 There is no fee to purchase other goods from your store with a credit card. It is just "acceptable" to expect a fee when purchasing tickets, which once upon a time the band fought very hard against.

I really hope this isn't newsworthy.... sure seems like a chance for the PJ hating music media to pile on.

Are you sure about #2? I have been to brick and mortar businesses that charge a fee for paying with a credit card. I'm also sure 10C is more aware of whats in their contract than you are.
    DS114969 wrote:

Are you sure about #2? I have been to brick and mortar businesses that charge a fee for paying with a credit card. I'm also sure 10C is more aware of whats in their contract than you are.

Did you actually read my post?

#1 I said most likely.

#2 Just because a minimart says that they charge a fee for cc transactions under $5 doesn't mean that it isn't against their contract as well.

I deal with CC merchant companies all the time at work. I do not believe any of them allow a credit card surcharge.
    DP13 wrote:
    They make money of all the other items in the store, so they can offset the CC costs. They (presumably) don't make any money off tickets so have to pass on the cost or absorb it themselves.
  • well the only question is "what can Pearl Jam inc do to further maximize profits and cut expenditures in the future?" i think, based on today, the consumer could easily handle another 15$ hike to ticket prices at least. And $3.50 is less than a cup of coffee! we could easily tack on a few more fees. i see vastly improved fiscal earnings reports in our future! they have families now! they gotta eat!
    knowcode10 wrote:

OH NO! So you mean they only had $15-$20 million to split?? Poor things!

They're making 60-80% profit? Highly doubtful. In fact, flip that number to 20%, probably more realistic.[/quote]

I honestly don't care about that. It is none of my business what they make. I brought that up in response to Solar insinuating that they are going broke.[/quote]

Right...yet you started this post.
    bazzer wrote:
    DP13 wrote:
    They make money of all the other items in the store, so they can offset the CC costs. They (presumably) don't make any money off tickets so have to pass on the cost or absorb it themselves.

They also charge more for shipping than the actual cost to ship the item shown on the envelope or package so the rest could be due to the CC charge.
    MrSmith wrote:
    well the only question is "what can Pearl Jam inc do to further maximize profits and cut expenditures in the future?" i think, based on today, the consumer could easily handle another 15$ hike to ticket prices at least. And $3.50 is less than a cup of coffee! we could easily tack on a few more fees. i see vastly improved fiscal earnings reports in our future! they have families now! they gotta eat!

Please cut this out, the "PJ Inc" argument is an ignorant one.

It is a free world and it is their right to maximize profits.

Management just made a mistake by having ticket fees instead of just raising the price of the tickets themselves.

That is all.
  • edited March 2010
    DP13 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    well the only question is "what can Pearl Jam inc do to further maximize profits and cut expenditures in the future?" i think, based on today, the consumer could easily handle another 15$ hike to ticket prices at least. And $3.50 is less than a cup of coffee! we could easily tack on a few more fees. i see vastly improved fiscal earnings reports in our future! they have families now! they gotta eat!

Please cut this out, the "PJ Inc" argument is an ignorant one.

It is a free world and it is their right to maximize profits.

Management just made a mistake by having ticket fees instead of just raising the price of the tickets themselves.

That is all.
    so you dont think they are being the least bit hypocritical?
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
    DP13 wrote:
    I deal with CC merchant companies all the time at work. I do not believe any of them allow a credit card surcharge.
    I think this was true once upon a time, but is not the case any longer. Certainly, this is the case in New Zealand. The Commerce Commission ruled that not allowing the passing on of fees did not promote competition, and that it was unfair for all customers to pay (i.e. charges built into general pricing) with cash purchasers subsidising CC purchasers. I don't know what the rules are in the US. Given the original wording (handling fee) then you may well be correct.
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    It's already included in the price. At least it's not like ticketmaster and you go "oh $150, cool." And then you complete your checkout and all of a sudden you're up at $170. Plus, you're already paying between $150 - $173. You're gonna complain about $3.50? Maybe if it was like $20, I might understand. Just face it, that's how much it is. Either pay or don't go, it's simple.
    Sidnum wrote:
    Either pay or don't go, it's simple.

Exactly. No sweat. Often I wish there wasn't a 10c so I could just pay a scalper for front row. I don't care what the tickets cost, I am going. Trust me it isn't about the 3.50.

My problem is that fees on top of the ticket price is the exact same thing the band was fighting vigorously against years ago.