Ticket Prices (my beef)

Comments

• I agree with you OP. I can't even afford fanclub tickets for both msg shows hence I'm gonna try show one and if I don't get them I'm gonna try night two then buy the other night on ticketmaster. They should option selling one ticket at the prices they're charging. I'm just too hassled to buy two nights then try to find a fanclub members to buy my extras. Oh well I'm still gonna pay and go see them. I've told my friend as long as ticket prices are under $100 a seat I'll go but anything higher and I'll probably have to pass.
  • JaneNY wrote:
    I guess there is a requisite of at least one thread like this per tour.

There is, and I have read them for 8 years...but this is the highest it's ever been and it's a bit unreasonable.

did you think they were going to go down in price? Of course its the highest ever. The next tour will be higher than this one.
    Gorge
  • uskidsknow wrote:
    PJ is an amazing live band (obviously) .

Now here we agree! ;)
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    The tickets aren't exactly cheap but I do think they're reasonably priced. I can understand people bringing up the band's fight against TM, but that was 15 years ago! Times change, the band has changed, the music and concert industry has changed.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • jammingwhileIcanjammingwhileIcan Posts: 89
    edited March 2010
    Brokers probably made more money off of Phish than Phish did themselves. If tickets are priced too cheaply, the brokers use their spinners and buy up all the tickets and re-sell them. Phish and Radiohead were scalped like crazy because they didn't charge enough for their tickets. The band should be making the money, not scaplers. If tix are priced high enough scalpers do not buy because there isn't enough room for profit. Every band is trying to find the fine line of correctly pricing their tickets so venues sell out, but not pricing them so cheap that the scalpers are the ones buying everything. The only thing PJ could do better is have more price tiers. One price point is also a scalpers heaven because people will pay a bit more to be in a better location. There should be about 6 different price levels for all events.

Youre right scalpers make profit on these phish shows, but there are also fans getting in for a fair price. This is where a band could show morals even when there are immoral scalpers gaining as well. PJ could also do a raffle, like phish, but unlike phish require the purchaser to show ID at the gate which could lessen the scalpers control. It comes down to morales and put simply PJ is no longer practicing what they used to preach. Me being willing to pay 100 a ticket doesnt mean the band is in the wrong for charging that. With such a loyal fanbase PJ essentialy has a monopoly on our purchasing of good music tickets so ethics are required on the bands part; and have been lacking lately.
    Post edited by jammingwhileIcan on
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Kanye East wrote:
    Ok Radiohead at Jiffy Lube which is an Amphitheater was $47 face value for SEATS....Pearl Jam is $79

Yeah, but Radiohead sucks.

Radiohead is more or as popular and no matter how you feel about their music, they have better musicians that play tighter shows.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    polaris_x wrote:

sooo what would be a "fair" price based on the standard you believe they used to set?

Well...let's look back to history for our answer:

2003:
    Tickets for indoor shows were $77-$80...for 2 tickets ; so let's use $40/ticket
    Tickets to outdoor shows were about $98....again for 2 tix ; so let's use $50/ticket

Those were terrific prices for 2003. Using this conversion http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

$40 in 2003 has the same buying power as $47 today
    $50 in 2003 has the same buying power as $59 today

2005:
    Tix about $117/pair or $59/ticket (approx. 20% increase in 2 years)

$59 in 2005 has the same buying power as about $65.50 today

2006:
    Tix cost about $118/pair so still $59/ticket (still 20% increase over 3 years)

$59 in 2006 has the same buying power as about $63.42 today

2009:
    Tix cost about $148/pair or $74/ticket (48% increase over 6 years ; 25% increase over 3 years)

$74 in 2009 has the same buying power as about $74.74 today

2010:
    Tix cost $150-173/pair...or $75-86 ticket, roughly equal to 2009. (still 48% increase over 7 years ; 25% over 4 years for lowest ticket price)

I think in order to keep the mantra of low ticket prices and access for many, PJ should look to set ticket prices at the 2010 buying power equivalent of the 2003 tickets. $50-$60 depending on the venue. That would show their commitment to low ticket prices for sure. All those prices are after all fees. I don't know what portion of each is fees so I can't separate that out and it might show a bit of a different picture.

Like I said, I'll keep buying tickets and the market could certainly bear a higher price, but you can "brag" about Pearl Jam's low ticket prices and how they take care of the fans (in that way anyhow). Getting the best seats in the house is a huge advantage though that makes swallowing the ticket price increases that much easier.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • That's $86 a ticket. I went to Starbucks and got a $3 cup of coffee. So you tell me, what's better... An evening with Pearl Jam at Madison Square Garden, or 28 cups of coffee? I'll go with the Pearl Jam

best analogy yet! love it!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • T-Bone 82 wrote:
    I think if there were more dates the prices would be lower. They've been doing these short tours so demand is really, really high for a low supply of tix.

However, I am disappointed that the prices are so high in such a bad economy. I have a good job, make decent money, and I'm able to plunk down the $173 but I am not going to do so. I saw them in twice in Philly last fall and even though they're by far my favorite band, I'm going to sit this one out. I really can't justify all that money in the span of a few months. If tix were $60 - $65 per head I'd do it, but $85 per head is too much.
    its all about the bling_bling.gif
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    i spend my money on two things: travelling and pearl jam...when i combine the two, I think I'm getting a deal ;-)

but, yes, tickets are pricey!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    pretty much where expected them to be, especially after philly in october. steep? sure. but, worth it.
    if i get 10c tix to both MSGs *fingers crossed*...i will HAPPILY pay that visa bill. gotta get me AND mr. dream into our hometown shows! :mrgreen:

last time mr. dream saw pj was, well, the 2 shows at MSG in 2008. 8-)
    need a repeat!

15 minutes!!!
    :shock:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    What i find very interesting is the fact that the number of people fighting tooth and nail to defend the band has been diminishing more and more the past few years. Many of the faithful and former sheep are getting fed up with tickets, prices, lack of info from 10 club, lack of shows, etc. I don't think the band is not relevant enough anymore to survive comfortably without the rabid fan base around here. It might catch up to them at some point and they better be careful of taking us and our wallets for granted.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I just paid $100 for Iron Maiden tickets....what have they done lately?
    $80 is comparatively reasonable for a night of top-notch enertainment these days....ludicrous....but compariatively....reasonable.
    I'm nervous right now.
    I'm not planning a trip without tickets booked....and I don't want to spend days finding spares only to realize flight prices have jumped......ugh....crossin m'fingies.
  • demaydemay Posts: 67
    Yeah, they are pretty high. I think the blowback about ticket prices stems from the fact that we are long time fans, and remember the band when they were so anti-establishment. Now, I guess, they are professional musicians, and they tour with their families, so they dictate how much they make. And let's not deny that PJ is out to make some cash here, though for their families.

I'll pay it, begrudgingly. I've vented many times myself and I think PJ deserves a bit of crap for charging so much. We'll get it out of our system and move on, and enjoy the shows.
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    If you bought Pearl Jam tickets and feel ripped off you've got problems... What are you even doing here?

Thank you!!! :D
  • Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 782
    bradhos wrote:
    i bitch about all the complaining on this forum and hate to add to it but 173 bucks for a pair of tickets for MSG, thats really steep, $65 each seems more reasonable but even that seems ridiculous.
    still going of course, cant wait to see Band of Horses open

I dont think its that bad. Considering that we get the "best seats in the house" and get to avoid all the ticketmaster fees.

Spectrum tix were $167.
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    If you bought Pearl Jam tickets and feel ripped off you've got problems... What are you even doing here?

Blind allegiance to the band. That's what this band needs more of, people unwilling to tell them when theyre acting like douches.

I would pay 300 for front row seats to PJ, yet i would still feel ripped off and pissed off that a band I love would take advantage of every pennny they could squeeze out of their fanbase. I miss Eddie from the 90's, even if he was faking his anti-corporate sell out image a little bit, it was still more refreshing than this blatant disregard for their lowerincome fans.
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
    Kanye East wrote:
    bradhos wrote:
    i bitch about all the complaining on this forum and hate to add to it but 173 bucks for a pair of tickets for MSG, thats really steep, $65 each seems more reasonable but even that seems ridiculous.
    still going of course, cant wait to see Band of Horses open

I dont think its that bad. Considering that we get the "best seats in the house" and get to avoid all the ticketmaster fees.

What's worse tm fees or 10c handling fees?
  • uskidsknowuskidsknow Posts: 143
    coaljam wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Blind allegiance to the band. That's what this band needs more of, people unwilling to tell them when theyre acting like douches.

I would pay 300 for front row seats to PJ, yet i would still feel ripped off and pissed off that a band I love would take advantage of every pennny they could squeeze out of their fanbase. I miss Eddie from the 90's, even if he was faking his anti-corporate sell out image a little bit, it was still more refreshing than this blatant disregard for their lowerincome fans.

you think Pearl Jam is ripping off their fans by charging $75 a ticket?! You're either extremely idealistic and hold the band to an impossible standard, have no idea what's going on in the music industry, or live in 2001's economy.
    dream the dreams of other men...you will be no one's rival
    uskidsknow wrote:
    you think Pearl Jam is ripping off their fans by charging $75 a ticket?! You're either extremely idealistic and hold the band to an impossible standard, have no idea what's going on in the music industry, or live in 2001's economy.

I wouldn't call it a ripoff, but if you think the reason PJ raised ticket prices is b/c nobody buys music you're the one that doesn't know about the music industry. So you're sayin PJ seen their album sales goin down the tubes and waited 10 years to react?

Hint: it's b/c they want more money
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    DewieCox wrote:
    uskidsknow wrote:

I wouldn't call it a ripoff, but if you think the reason PJ raised ticket prices is b/c nobody buys music you're the one that doesn't know about the music industry. So you're sayin PJ seen their album sales goin down the tubes and waited 10 years to react?

Yes they do, but that isn't necessarily bad is it? I'm sure if most of the posters here had the opportunity to earn some fast easy money, we would take it.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    uskidsknow wrote:
    coaljam wrote:

your username is an Arcade Fire reference isnt it? Now i know how much i paid for an Arcade Fire ticket last tour, so tell me how much an Arcade Fire ticket is.... go on... tell me. Please keep in mind they have about twice the number of band members than PJ.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • DS114969 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    uskidsknow wrote:

Yes they do, but that isn't necessarily bad is it? I'm sure if most of the posters here had the opportunity to earn some fast easy money, we would take it.
    its only bad when you spend most of your career saying it is then doing it anyway.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dunkman wrote:
    your username is an Arcade Fire reference isnt it? Now i know how much i paid for an Arcade Fire ticket last tour, so tell me how much an Arcade Fire ticket is.... go on... tell me. Please keep in mind they have about twice the number of band members than PJ.

i'll bite ... how much? ... and what venue was it at? ... also, who opened for them ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

i'll bite ... how much? ... and what venue was it at? ... also, who opened for them ...

Neon Bible tour

Ticket was £25 with £1 going to Medicine sans Frontiers. (about $40-45?)

Glasgow SECC - capacity of 10,000 (concert was a sell-out)

support - Clinic.

Kings of Leon

ticket was £25 + fees (about £30) which is about $55?

Wembley Arena (same venue as PJ who played it and their ticket was $80) this was same year as each other.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I dont have a problem paying $75/ticket because i have a good 10 club number. However if i was not in the club i would have a problem paying $75 for a nose bleed seat. I think the band needs to have tiered pricing.
  • dunkman wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Neon Bible tour

support - Clinic.

Kings of Leon

Wembley Arena (same venue as PJ who played it and their ticket was $80) this was same year as each other.
    but youre forgetting about PJ's laser light show and all the backup dancers. not to mention the huge rotating stage.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dunkman wrote:
    Neon Bible tour
    support - Clinic.

Kings of Leon

has PJ played Glasgow? how much was the ticket for them? ... did KOL have an opening act and what was the sterling equivalent for PJ that year?
    polaris_x wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    Neon Bible tour
    support - Clinic.

Kings of Leon

has PJ played Glasgow? how much was the ticket for them? ... did KOL have an opening act and what was the sterling equivalent for PJ that year?

they played in 2000. thats why i gave the cost for the Wembley Arena show that KOL played that very same year.

ticket for KOL was £30 ($55)
    ticket for PJ was £55 ($85)

this was the same for the O2 last year...

i don't know what the opening act has to do with it as PJ played Dublin back in 2006? and they had some wee local guy called Paddy Casey come on that no-one, including the irish folks, had heard much of... :D;)
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    crynose