Ticket Prices (my beef)

Comments

• iamloco724 wrote:
    they posted the prices under the initial announcement on the main site
    Ahhhh...Thank you sir. :D
    Columbus 00 / Buffalo 03 / Toledo 04 / Kitchener 05 / London 05 / Hamilton 05 / Toronto 05 / Toronto I 06 / Toronto II 06 / Pittsburgh 06 / Cincinnati 06 / DC 08 / NYC I 08 / NYC II 08 / Hartford 08 / Toronto 09 / Chicago I 09 / Chicago II 09 / Philly III 09 / Philly IV 09 / Cleveland 10 / Buffalo 10 / Hartford 10 / Toronto I 11 / Toronto II 11 / Hamilton 11 / London 13 / Pittsburgh 13 / Buffalo 13 / Toronto I 16 / Toronto II 16 / Boston II 16
    http://www.Sports-Casters.com
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    VA ticket prices are US $39.00 - US $79.00 according to Ticketmaster.
  • BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    Band of Horses, is a decently large band...there tickets go for around $25-$35 a ticket....so they have to get paid...and PJ has to get paid...

It's been discussed on here....no one buys CD's...now touring is where bands make all their money anyway, but still bands aren't getting anywhere close to the money for record sales as they where so they've got to make up revenue somewhere and everything in America is more expensive than it once was...and also...Look at Pearl Jam's ticket prices compared to other similar sized acts and you will see what kind of bargain the deal is...now I will admit that $75 is pushing the limit for me to see one big name band...I thought $50 was expensive to see one marquee band...but $75 isn't highway robbery either...

FYI...
    U2 - up to $250
    Tom Petty - $75 -$125
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • sixpixeesixpixee Posts: 37
    I am a firm believer in the "Pearl Jam Savings Fund", if you just save $10 a week, for a year, you have $520 saved for tickets and hotels.....right?

At least by doing it this way, it doesnt seem to be such a big "HIT" to your checkbook, when tickets go on sale.

I agree! I've been doing this for years.
    9.21.96 Toronto*8.22.98 Barrie*9.15.98 Mansfield*9.16.98 Mansfield*8.27.00 Saratoga Springs*8.29.00 Mansfield*8.30.00 Mansfield*9.2.00 Camden NJ*9.4.00 Columbia MD*7.2.03 Mansfield*9.28.04 Boston*5.24.06 Boston*5.25.06 Boston*6.28.08 Mansfield*6.30.08 Mansfield*8.2.08 EV Boston
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,445
    sixpixee wrote:
    I am a firm believer in the "Pearl Jam Savings Fund", if you just save $10 a week, for a year, you have $520 saved for tickets and hotels.....right?

At least by doing it this way, it doesnt seem to be such a big "HIT" to your checkbook, when tickets go on sale.

And an easy way to do this, is just walk in to work, and tell Mr. Humasn Resources that you want an additional $10 a week taken out of your check for taxes...

I realize if you save the money yourself, you will earn interest...
    But to me, if you dont see the $10 a week, you dont really miss it...
    It is $10 a week you cant spend....
    Come tax time, you know you are getting back at minimum $520....

Of course this is based on my situation, filing single, no kids, blah blah blah.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i bet it would be way more going through TM or live nation because of the extra charges they through on there so i think it is a pretty good deal that it is at least less than that...and PJ is definately worth it imo
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,694
    You haven't been to a bank recently, eh.

Hehehehehehe
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    You really want to compare these? Then include all costs...how many people are involved? What's the cost for the stages? Costumes?

It really isn't a good comparison at all.

Bottom line is if Pearl Jam hadn't put themselves on the low ticket pedestal in the first place, then it would be an issue as their tickets are normal to slightly higher than normal. However, they put themselves there and apparently have had a change of heart.

why isn't it a good comparison? ... it's a premium night out experience ... it's not like going to the movies ... feel free to include all the costs ...

i don't see how they have had a change of heart ... the "market" could easily bear a higher ticket price ... were they supposed to keep their ticket prices at $35 for their entire career? ... how much did it cost to rent out MSG in 1996 vs. right now? ...
  • IMO

$165 a ticket for jimmy buffet= rip off

$75 for close seats to pearl jam = bargain..
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • i bitch about all the complaining on this forum and hate to add to it but 173 bucks for a pair of tickets for MSG, thats really steep, $65 each seems more reasonable but even that seems ridiculous.
    still going of course, cant wait to see Band of Horses open
    primitiveshirts.com
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    That's $86 a ticket. I went to Starbucks and got a $3 cup of coffee. So you tell me, what's better... An evening with Pearl Jam at Madison Square Garden, or 28 cups of coffee? I'll go with the Pearl Jam
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    the tickets are cheaper to MSG than Columbus? that's weird. I would think NYC would be more
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    once again 173 to me isnt that bad considering these sell out in seconds and mins on here and ticketmaster so if you can get them for that price that is amazing.. in total for 2 msg shows last time i had to spend 600 bucks just to go and to get decent seats
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 832
    See...yankees complain about ticket prices, but Texans would be happy just to have a show...I'd gladly pay $200 for 10c tickets.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    bradhos wrote:
    still going of course,
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • just throwing this out there...

bought lady gaga tix for me and my daughter last year for a january show at the borgata...65.00 each, including fees

she cancelled, did not reschedule

today i bought 2 tix for us both at the garden, get this, sit down.....179.50 each excluding fees!~

this better be like a friggin broadway production, thats all i have to say!! that is friggin ridiculous!

but its for my daughter, and she is gonna love love love it, so i did it. but i wont be doing it again lol!!
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    I agree that the prices are steep, but I think that's only compared to what we're used to with Pearl Jam. How do they compare to other huge acts out there? I'm guessing they're quite reasonable when comparing them to other big name artists.

I don't even want to begin to think of all the things that go into deciding a ticket price. A lot of it is probably basic supply & demand. I bet they could set the Boston and New York shows at $150 per ticket and still sell it out. If midwest shows like Kansas City and St. Louis don't sell out, then maybe they set the price a little too high?

I just looked at my ticket stubs from 1998 and their total cost per ticket (after all charges were added) was around $30. Could you imagine how fast tickets would go if they had tickets that low? Or even at $40s or $50? Bottom line, I can't really blame them for the prices. If think they could be 25% higher and they could still pack the house.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    sixpixee wrote:

And an easy way to do this, is just walk in to work, and tell Mr. Humasn Resources that you want an additional $10 a week taken out of your check for taxes...

But to me, if you dont see the $10 a week, you dont really miss it...
    It is $10 a week you cant spend....
    Come tax time, you know you are getting back at minimum $520....

Of course this is based on my situation, filing single, no kids, blah blah blah.........

Good plan...$10 a week...$520...pretty much enough to see 1 PJ show...use to see a 4+. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    ahhhh yes. the price of tickets. are they steep? absolutely. i've never paid this much for a PJ ticket....ever.

BUT, i believe there is a good explanation for this (and a simple one too). PJ are now rock icons and will be slowly transitioning toward the image of U2/stones/the who etc. you may not like this, but here's what it means. people who've never seen PJ will pay big bucks to these days. i've never seen any of the three aforementioned bands, but i would prob pay 100 or more to do so. i think the psychology of "well this might be their last tour" enters the minds of a LOT of casual listeners. when it was thought that zeppelin might tour after their show at the 02 a few years ago, i was ready to shell out 1000 if necessary. I also had set aside money for MJ tickets (aftermarket which would have been $$$$$$$$$$). maybe people see PJ this way nowadays. they say "oh pearl jam! hey it would be cool to see them live one day".

we crazies, on the other hand, who've seen countless shows (me from the no code tour on) see a PJ show as a a biennual event. therefore, the immediate cost is really not that bad but as a sum over many shows it really adds up. the other simple fact is that yes, we used to pay 45-50 a show, and maybe we got used to that.

just some thoughts. we all know we're going anyway and that in the grand scheme of things....it won't make a bit of difference that they're 70-80 instead of 40-50.
    polaris_x wrote:
    You really want to compare these? Then include all costs...how many people are involved? What's the cost for the stages? Costumes?

It really isn't a good comparison at all.

Bottom line is if Pearl Jam hadn't put themselves on the low ticket pedestal in the first place, then it would be an issue as their tickets are normal to slightly higher than normal. However, they put themselves there and apparently have had a change of heart.

why isn't it a good comparison? ... it's a premium night out experience ... it's not like going to the movies ... feel free to include all the costs ...

i don't see how they have had a change of heart ... the "market" could easily bear a higher ticket price ... were they supposed to keep their ticket prices at $35 for their entire career? ... how much did it cost to rent out MSG in 1996 vs. right now? ...

It's not a good comparison because of all the things I mentioned...for shows: set design, costumes, sheer number of people, etc.

Look, I still purchase tickets. They still sell a lot. So obviously the market can bear higher prices for them. So from that aspect their ticket prices certainly aren't too high. But the standard for them is different because they set the standard for so long. So bottom line, are ticket prices too high? Not according to the market, but yes according to the standards they set and use to meet.
    hippiemom = goodness
    AmishGuy91 wrote:
    See...yankees complain about ticket prices, but Texans would be happy just to have a show...I'd gladly pay $200 for 10c tickets.

See...texans use words like "Yankees"..which is why you get no shows.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 412
    I think if there were more dates the prices would be lower. They've been doing these short tours so demand is really, really high for a low supply of tix.

However, I am disappointed that the prices are so high in such a bad economy. I have a good job, make decent money, and I'm able to plunk down the $173 but I am not going to do so. I saw them in twice in Philly last fall and even though they're by far my favorite band, I'm going to sit this one out. I really can't justify all that money in the span of a few months. If tix were $60 - $65 per head I'd do it, but $85 per head is too much.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    morgie2 wrote:
    I never understand these price complaints. Just look around, PJ's ticket prices are EXTREMELY reasonable compared to other big acts. Nuff said.
    i disagree. like them or not, muse and green day are two big acts out there. muse has a stage set up that is almost as elaborate as that of u2 yet they charge $50 a ticket. i don't know about green days stage setup but i am almost certain its more elaborate than pj's and they charge about $45 a ticket. muse's setup HAS to be ridiculously expensive and yet they are $25 cheaper than pearl jam?!

also i just crunched these numbers a few days ago. since 2003, pearl jam's ticket prices have increased over 50%, including inflation. if i don't include inflation, the increase is nearly 100%
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    gndcd402 wrote:
    morgie2 wrote:
    I never understand these price complaints. Just look around, PJ's ticket prices are EXTREMELY reasonable compared to other big acts. Nuff said.
    i disagree. like them or not, muse and green day are two big acts out there. muse has a stage set up that is almost as elaborate as that of u2 yet they charge $50 a ticket. i don't know about green days stage setup but i am almost certain its more elaborate than pj's and they charge about $45 a ticket. muse's setup HAS to be ridiculously expensive and yet they are $25 cheaper than pearl jam?!

also i just crunched these numbers a few days ago. since 2003, pearl jam's ticket prices have increased over 50%, including inflation. if i don't include inflation, the increase is nearly 100%

This is my issue with the ticket prices. Next to nothing goes into their show. They show up, have some lights and a stage and that's it. If that is what they want to do...by all means go for it...but for $170-$180 a pair they should be providing something more. The argument that their prices are in line with other top acts is false. Based on record sales, radio play and general popularity...Green Day, Muse, Metallica and Radiohead have all surpassed Pearl Jam and they all have elaborate stage shows for cheaper ticket prices. Those are arguably the top touring acts out there today. You can't lump Pearl Jam in with Petty, the Stones and U2. Those bands have been around for 30 years+ and have a different crown and different demographic and more appeal to 50+ year olds with money so I don't think it's fair to compare Pearl Jam's prices to those.

So when people say PJ's prices are reasonable, I'm not sure what you are comparing them too. I think they are approaching the price point where they are going to start to have trouble selling shows out. People won't pay $100 face value for pearl jam. I paid the same price for Radiohead tickets in 2003 that I did last year and they gave away their album.
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    I
    money is absolutely nothing to see this band play at my favorite venue,

So why complain then?

I would pay just about anything to see PJ. They don't come round my way enough for me to complain. Plus, that's economics for you. Inflation etc. Unavoidable.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    There's nothing wrong with feeling that ticket prices have gotten a big high, because they have and they use to stand for affordable prices....still, I'm just happy they put on a "$173/pair" type of show! :D
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    gndcd402 wrote:
    morgie2 wrote:

This is my issue with the ticket prices. Next to nothing goes into their show. They show up, have some lights and a stage and that's it. If that is what they want to do...by all means go for it...but for $170-$180 a pair they should be providing something more. The argument that their prices are in line with other top acts is false. Based on record sales, radio play and general popularity...Green Day, Muse, Metallica and Radiohead have all surpassed Pearl Jam and they all have elaborate stage shows for cheaper ticket prices. Those are arguably the top touring acts out there today. You can't lump Pearl Jam in with Petty, the Stones and U2. Those bands have been around for 30 years+ and have a different crown and different demographic and more appeal to 50+ year olds with money so I don't think it's fair to compare Pearl Jam's prices to those.

So when people say PJ's prices are reasonable, I'm not sure what you are comparing them too. I think they are approaching the price point where they are going to start to have trouble selling shows out. People won't pay $100 face value for pearl jam. I paid the same price for Radiohead tickets in 2003 that I did last year and they gave away their album.

I think it all comes down to what you want to get out of a live show. If a big elaborate stage is what does it for you, then go see U2 or Metallica. With PJ, you know what you get. A great sounding show, guaranteed to be over 2 hours, and different songs every night.

Boston and NY are charging $85 a ticket, and I guarantee they will sell out all 3 (maybe 4) shows
  • 12:56 and i just got a buy for boston, KEEP TRYING IF YOU HAVEN"T GOTTEN THEM YET...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    if it's too much then don't go and that's not meant in an asshole way. I myself am buying lawn for the indy show since $$$ is a little strapped. I will say this...one major factor that seperates metallica, green day, the stone etc...how much do they change up their setlist? When i saw the band in chi last summer i got to set about 70 songs with only about 10 repeats. It may be more expensive these days but i 110% feel that i'm getting my money's worth and not being gouged in the process. to each their own i guess.
  • uskidsknowuskidsknow Posts: 143
    For a band of their popularity the ticket prices are absolutely reasonable.

Next.
    dream the dreams of other men...you will be no one's rival