Ticket Prices (my beef)

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    pjfan021 wrote:
    if it's too much then don't go and that's not meant in an asshole way. I myself am buying lawn for the indy show since $$$ is a little strapped. I will say this...one major factor that seperates metallica, green day, the stone etc...how much do they change up their setlist? When i saw the band in chi last summer i got to set about 70 songs with only about 10 repeats. It may be more expensive these days but i 110% feel that i'm getting my money's worth and not being gouged in the process. to each their own i guess.

70 songs? Did they play some secret shows?

Should setlist changes really be at a premium?
    uskidsknow wrote:
    For a band of their popularity the ticket prices are absolutely reasonable.

Next.

Based on their popularity?? That's a laugh
  • Jay1187Jay1187 Posts: 119
    Prices are a little steep for my liking but I can't resit and will be at the Boston Garden on May 17th. It's just the nature of the beast, bands no longer make any money of of albums they have to make all their money on touring so that's why the prices keep going up.
    Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003 ,Fleet Center - Sep 28, 2004, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, TD Garden - May 24, 2006, TD Garden - May 25, 2006
    Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008, Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008, TD Garden - May 17, 2010, DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013, Fenway 1 August 5, 2016
    Fenway 2 August 7, 2016, Wrigley 2 August 20, 2018, Fenway 1 Sept 2, 2018, Fenway 2 Sept 4, 2018, MSG Sept 11, 2022
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I guess there is a requisite of at least one thread like this per tour.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Jay1187 wrote:
    Prices are a little steep for my liking but I can't resit and will be at the Boston Garden on May 17th. It's just the nature of the beast, bands no longer make any money of of albums they have to make all their money on touring so that's why the prices keep going up.

Touring has been the main source of income for every band since Peter Grant became a rock and roll manager.
  • uskidsknowuskidsknow Posts: 143
    DewieCox wrote:
    uskidsknow wrote:

Next.

Of course, based on their popularity as a touring act. Most bands who can fill the types of venues that Pearl Jam does charge upwards of $100+ a ticket for the good tickets. It's more expensive to play at bigger arenas in bigger cities like MSG in NYC. As such, the ticket prices are higher.
    dream the dreams of other men...you will be no one's rival
    uskidsknow wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    uskidsknow wrote:

Next.

Of course, based on their popularity as a touring act. Most bands who can fill the types of venues that Pearl Jam does charge upwards of $100+ a ticket for the good tickets. It's more expensive to play at bigger arenas in bigger cities like MSG in NYC. As such, the ticket prices are higher.

Bands with similar popularity AND similar principles charge much less.
    Bands with similar popularity AND similar principles charge much less.[/quote]

awesome. Tell me some bands who tour arenas and charge "much" less than $66 a ticket (which is the Hartford price).
    Radiohead and Tool are more popular....Tix were prolly around 30% cheaper last tour

Plus they both have pretty awesome stage shows.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    It's not a good comparison because of all the things I mentioned...for shows: set design, costumes, sheer number of people, etc.

Look, I still purchase tickets. They still sell a lot. So obviously the market can bear higher prices for them. So from that aspect their ticket prices certainly aren't too high. But the standard for them is different because they set the standard for so long. So bottom line, are ticket prices too high? Not according to the market, but yes according to the standards they set and use to meet.

but i said - go ahead and include everything and do the math ... i am pretty sure the margins for the band members will be much less than all of the comparables i listed short of maybe the opera ...

sooo what would be a "fair" price based on the standard you believe they used to set?
    DewieCox wrote:
    Radiohead and Tool are more popular....Tix were prolly around 30% cheaper last tour

Nah. I saw Radiohead last tour and no way did I pay $45 for the ticket. Maybe at amphitheaters, but they're always cheaper. I don't think either is more popular than Pearl Jam. What is your criteria for popularity? They both fill up the same venues so there isn't much between then. I doubt In Rainbows has sold much more than Backspacer did.
  • Hey man I agree....I think you should sit this one out.....so I have a better chance at these overpriced tickets :twisted:

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    just throwing this out there...

bought lady gaga tix for me and my daughter last year for a january show at the borgata...65.00 each, including fees

she cancelled, did not reschedule

today i bought 2 tix for us both at the garden, get this, sit down.....179.50 each excluding fees!~

this better be like a friggin broadway production, thats all i have to say!! that is friggin ridiculous!

but its for my daughter, and she is gonna love love love it, so i did it. but i wont be doing it again lol!!

but I bet she doesn't cancel this time ;)
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    gndcd402 wrote:
    morgie2 wrote:
    I never understand these price complaints. Just look around, PJ's ticket prices are EXTREMELY reasonable compared to other big acts. Nuff said.
    i disagree. like them or not, muse and green day are two big acts out there. muse has a stage set up that is almost as elaborate as that of u2 yet they charge $50 a ticket. i don't know about green days stage setup but i am almost certain its more elaborate than pj's and they charge about $45 a ticket. muse's setup HAS to be ridiculously expensive and yet they are $25 cheaper than pearl jam?!

also i just crunched these numbers a few days ago. since 2003, pearl jam's ticket prices have increased over 50%, including inflation. if i don't include inflation, the increase is nearly 100%

With all due respect my friend, Muse isn't in the same solar system as an "act". ;)
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
    uskidsknow wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Nah. I saw Radiohead last tour and no way did I pay $45 for the ticket. Maybe at amphitheaters, but they're always cheaper. I don't think either is more popular than Pearl Jam. What is your criteria for popularity? They both fill up the same venues so there isn't much between then. I doubt In Rainbows has sold much more than Backspacer did.

Tool fills up the same venues 200x in a couple years when they tour. Tool's last 3 albums have been better sellers than PJ's last 7, maybe combined.

It's hard to explain how Radiohead is more popular. Their albums sales I would imagine have been better since OkC and their tix are about the same to come by as PJ's. There's an interest in their music that is kinda unexplainable in this day and age.

$66 is the cheapest show of the PJ tour. Radiohead tix were $55 last tour for the most expensive.
    i don't understand why you or anyone else whines about ticket prices. if you don't want to go just don't go. simple!
  • Look at Phish, they are the same age as PJ and have a larger hardcore fanbase. Yet they sold out 3 msg shows this past year, all tickets were $50.00. They have intense lighting and play much longer than PJ does. So it can be done cheaply, yet sadly at some point the band has gotten greedy and a little corporate. It's a shame to see a band lose their morals, it's also sad to see a fanbase so unwilling to call them out on it ( or anything negative). Call a spade a spade
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
    uskidsknow wrote:
    i don't understand why you or anyone else whines about ticket prices. if you don't want to go just don't go. simple!

I'm not whining. Just stating facts. I've stated in this thread that they are worth it to me. PJ used to be a band that tried to keep ticket prices low.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    morgie2 wrote:

With all due respect my friend, Muse isn't in the same solar system as an "act". ;)

Bullshit.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I am a firm believer in the "Pearl Jam Savings Fund", if you just save $10 a week, for a year, you have $520 saved for tickets and hotels.....right?

At least by doing it this way, it doesnt seem to be such a big "HIT" to your checkbook, when tickets go on sale.

As far as the original post? I really dont think $85 for a ticket to see Pearl Jam is expensive. I really dont. I think it is a bargain, actually.

Just my humble, Tuesday morning, before I have had a pot of coffee, opinion.

Yes $85 for US is fine and well worth it. But to invite a casual fan, or someone who hasn't heard them but wants to see them life, and then tell them the ticket is $85...there's no way that person is going!

I know there are bands that are way more expensive but those bands and artists pertain to an older group of people who HAVE the money and who have spent that money for years. For years we have been used to $25-50 tickets for this band.

And for the asshole that said "there is always the option to not get tickets"...read the original post, I will get tickets and go to the show regardless but that is because I'm willing to go broke for a few months to see my favorite band.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • gndcd402 wrote:
    morgie2 wrote:
    I never understand these price complaints. Just look around, PJ's ticket prices are EXTREMELY reasonable compared to other big acts. Nuff said.
    i disagree. like them or not, muse and green day are two big acts out there. muse has a stage set up that is almost as elaborate as that of u2 yet they charge $50 a ticket. i don't know about green days stage setup but i am almost certain its more elaborate than pj's and they charge about $45 a ticket. muse's setup HAS to be ridiculously expensive and yet they are $25 cheaper than pearl jam?!

also i just crunched these numbers a few days ago. since 2003, pearl jam's ticket prices have increased over 50%, including inflation. if i don't include inflation, the increase is nearly 100%

This is my issue with the ticket prices. Next to nothing goes into their show. They show up, have some lights and a stage and that's it. If that is what they want to do...by all means go for it...but for $170-$180 a pair they should be providing something more. The argument that their prices are in line with other top acts is false. Based on record sales, radio play and general popularity...Green Day, Muse, Metallica and Radiohead have all surpassed Pearl Jam and they all have elaborate stage shows for cheaper ticket prices. Those are arguably the top touring acts out there today. You can't lump Pearl Jam in with Petty, the Stones and U2. Those bands have been around for 30 years+ and have a different crown and different demographic and more appeal to 50+ year olds with money so I don't think it's fair to compare Pearl Jam's prices to those.

So when people say PJ's prices are reasonable, I'm not sure what you are comparing them too. I think they are approaching the price point where they are going to start to have trouble selling shows out. People won't pay $100 face value for pearl jam. I paid the same price for Radiohead tickets in 2003 that I did last year and they gave away their album.

Exactly.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 832
    AmishGuy91 wrote:
    See...yankees complain about ticket prices, but Texans would be happy just to have a show...I'd gladly pay $200 for 10c tickets.

See...texans use words like "Yankees"..which is why you get no shows.

Plenty of people use that word...like mlb announcers
  • Brokers probably made more money off of Phish than Phish did themselves. If tickets are priced too cheaply, the brokers use their spinners and buy up all the tickets and re-sell them. Phish and Radiohead were scalped like crazy because they didn't charge enough for their tickets. The band should be making the money, not scaplers. If tix are priced high enough scalpers do not buy because there isn't enough room for profit. Every band is trying to find the fine line of correctly pricing their tickets so venues sell out, but not pricing them so cheap that the scalpers are the ones buying everything. The only thing PJ could do better is have more price tiers. One price point is also a scalpers heaven because people will pay a bit more to be in a better location. There should be about 6 different price levels for all events.
    Gorge
  • JaneNY wrote:
    I guess there is a requisite of at least one thread like this per tour.

There is, and I have read them for 8 years...but this is the highest it's ever been and it's a bit unreasonable.
  • uskidsknow wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    uskidsknow wrote:

Next.

Let's be honest, the people that are going to MSG and selling out MSG for 173$ a pair are the same people that have been following the band in the New York metropolitan area for YEARS
  • uskidsknow wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Ok Radiohead at Jiffy Lube which is an Amphitheater was $47 face value for SEATS....Pearl Jam is $79
  • uskidsknow wrote:

You seem to like Pearl Jam only for the music, which is OK.
    But there are other fans here (me included) who love the band for what they stand (stood) for. And one thing was their fight for good ticket prices.
    Maybe that helps you to understand why some fans are disappointed with ticket prices.
  • Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 782
    uskidsknow wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Ok Radiohead at Jiffy Lube which is an Amphitheater was $47 face value for SEATS....Pearl Jam is $79

Yeah, but Radiohead sucks.
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • klem62klem62 Posts: 26
    I agree that its quite high for ANY concert anymore. Still love the band, still want to see one show this year, but I still think its sad that the real fans are finding it harder and harder to see the band live. The same situation is happening with sporting events and other shows. People have to pay top price for the experience of seeing their favorite team/band/event live and that problem will never get better. I blame it on the Yankees with their $1000 seats behind the plate. Not that it makes any sense but its always fun to blame the Yankees for anything. :lol: Seriously though it is quite distubing, I`m just glad I can afford to see them once a year and I`m quite grateful that they come to the Philly area often. Still the most bang for your buck!
    "You`re finally here and I`m a mess"
    uskidsknow wrote:

You seem to like Pearl Jam only for the music, which is OK.
    But there are other fans here (me included) who love the band for what they stand (stood) for. And one thing was their fight for good ticket prices.
    Maybe that helps you to understand why some fans are disappointed with ticket prices.

I love the band for lots of reasons. What PJ did in the 90's against ticketmaster was kickass, but it's impossible to fight that fight now. PJ is an amazing live band (obviously) that doesn't do extensive touring. I think it's totally reasonable that they charge $75 per ticket.