Ticket Prices (my beef)

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited April 2010 in The Porch
I will start by saying I have never complained in 8 years on this board about PJ or the 10c, actually I have probably shut down any thread that I have ran across that I found stupid.

What the hell is this $171 a pair for the Virginia show? $173 for MSG?

What happened to tickets being 35-45-50$$?? I have seen so many threads on this but it has finally caught up to me that it's ridiculous. We have praised the band for years for keeping prices low and providing us with great service.

At the Nissan Pavilion (Jiffy Lube), I saw Radiohead last year, $47 a ticket. They promote free music and cheap tickets, so does Pearl Jam.

I expected MSG to be a bit high because it is Madison Square Garden. I understand there's bands such as Springsteen that charge $100 face value, but I feel kind of ripped off after just spending $20 to renew my membership to get 10c tickets (along with the Deep magazine and single I never got) and now spend $173 x2 and then $171.

I understand that tomorrow I will get both MSG shows, and spend the money and not care because money is absolutely nothing to see this band play at my favorite venue, and then again 20 minutes from my house in Virginia. But I just think some things have gone a little too far. I understand there is inflation but there is no way that the $35 I spent to sit in the 300s for MSG in 2003 is now $79.

Just wanted to see if people felt the same way or understood where this is coming from.

Cheers.
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I will start by saying I have never complained in 8 years on this board about PJ or the 10c, actually I have probably shut down any thread that I have ran across that I found stupid.

What happened to tickets being 35-45-50$$?? I have seen so many threads on this but it has finally caught up to me that it's ridiculous. We have praised the band for years for keeping prices low and providing us with great service.

At the Nissan Pavilion (Jiffy Lube), I saw Radiohead last year, $47 a ticket. They promote free music and cheap tickets, so does Pearl Jam.

I expected MSG to be a bit high because it is Madison Square Garden. I understand there's bands such as Springsteen that charge $100 face value, but I feel kind of ripped off after just spending $20 to renew my membership to get 10c tickets (along with the Deep magazine and single I never got) and now spend $173 x2 and then $171.

I understand that tomorrow I will get both MSG shows, and spend the money and not care because money is absolutely nothing to see this band play at my favorite venue, and then again 20 minutes from my house in Virginia. But I just think some things have gone a little too far. I understand there is inflation but there is no way that the $35 I spent to sit in the 300s for MSG in 2003 is now $79.

Just wanted to see if people felt the same way or understood where this is coming from.

Cheers.
    I hate the complainers too! I'm too poor to go to any shows this year... Actually I've always been too poor but this time i've shown some restraint! :D
    Aaaanyways. Saying "well other bands charge 150 dollars per ticket" is like comparing your country to a 3rd world totalitarian government just to defend your politicians... why would you wanna sink to a shittier situation?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    I can't relate as far as a past attendee to PJ shows. Never seen them live before.

However, I will say that I've seen tons of concerts in the late 80's and they all ran from somewhere between $20-$35. When I finally got back into going to concerts this past year, I paid $98/pop plus fees to see six Springsteen shos. Now, past and up through this past tour, he'd been considered one of the greatest live acts ever. He played 3+ hours at 5 of the 6 shows I attended -- without an encore break. Why am I telling you this? Well... I've got a couple friends who paid $200+/ticket face value to go see Van Morrison this past year and he played for 1.5 hours. I've also looked into seeing Tom Petty this summer but I'm not willing to pay $131 face on those tix.

At $79 or whatever they're charging, PJ is a bargain by today's standards. Fortunately, PJ is a band who keeps their fans' interests in mind, like Springsteen... I foresee them being one of the few bargains -- as far as mainstream artists goo -- going forward. Count your lucky stars if you get to see them and The Black Keys or Band of Horses on the same bill for less than $200 face (or $100 face/ticket) going forward. Still a deal compared to what you'll get from Petty, et al.
  • shellerizmshellerizm Posts: 127
    I am with you man believe me. I am still recovering from those 4 philly shows. But in the bands defense it's really the promoters - I think. I do always wonder what pearl jam actually walks away with. After all these years these guys have built a corporation. They have a payroll. Take in consideration all the bills they have to pay, no wonder they play shows every year now and charge these prices. All that aside they are still one of, if not THE best live act out there. They have built a solid fanbase and the setlists they play are just mind boggling.

It's just a sign of the times my man. EVERYTHING is going up except my goddamn paycheck!
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    If you bought Pearl Jam tickets and feel ripped off you've got problems... What are you even doing here?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425

Cheers.

You're right on about the tix. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Worth it but overpriced, even though that doesn't make a bit of sense.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    You're gonna buy them and it's gonna sell out. Thus, probably underpriced.

This is another side effect of illegal downloading, kids. The bands and record companies need to find ways to make up for lost revenue. Remember that the next time your buddy tells you about the ten albums he stole today.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,838
    if you are able to secure 10c tix for msg you are lucky.
    period.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    there is an option of not buy tickets,,son u be happy that u dont spent your money
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Where are these prices coming from? All the shows yesterday were $150 for a pair.

I expected Boston and MSG to be a bit more, but I wonder why Virginia is charging more than Indy, StL, KC and Columbus?
  • pjl44 wrote:
    You're gonna buy them and it's gonna sell out. Thus, probably underpriced.

This is another side effect of illegal downloading, kids. The bands and record companies need to find ways to make up for lost revenue. Remember that the next time your buddy tells you about the ten albums he stole today.

+1
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    To be downstairs and up close, that's not an unreasonable ticket price.
    If you want to pay less, you can always buy a regular ticket and sit waaaay up high in the arena. ;)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • for those who arguing against the OP's point: keep in mind, eddie vedder himself made this bed - mr. anti-ticketmaster put himself out there as the symbol of fair ticket pricing, and now his own band is gouging its loyal fans. believe me, i get the supply and demand argument. but that's just like me buying my fan club seats and then reselling them for twice face value. just because there's a market out there that will PAY a huge price, doesn't mean the band has to squeeze every penny. again, other bands who overcharge don't look as bad because they don't look like hypocrites. eddie has changed quite a bit, and he's a hypocrite. love the music, and i'm shelling out the money to go to three shows, but let's stop pretending eddie and the boys are on some high moral ground when it comes to treating fans properly.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

Cheers.

you make a very well thought out and valid point.

please be prepared to be ripped apart by the sheep like masses though... they don't like any form of vocal dissent.... i'm surprised you havent had a "nobody is forcing you to buy them" answer.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I'll agree. Negating whatever someone says about it being a "bargain" in relation to today's music, $85 for a concert ticket is still a lot of dough for the hard-working middle class man, and it's certainly a lot for a Pearl Jam show. Which is why I am only going to one show this tour -- too much $$$.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    DewieCox wrote:

You're right on about the tix. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Worth it but overpriced, even though that doesn't make a bit of sense.

You are right on. It doesnt make much sense, but it makes so much sense!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    btw u cant only think what u pay..u must think what u get...u see the best band in the planet live....im too ok with the tic prices...i think im stealing them..

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • capecodriotcapecodriot Posts: 340
    lets remember why ticket prices are what they are, to rent out say madison square garden for 2-3 hours, pearl jams camp must shell out i believe 100,000 an hour, i know other venues are alot cheaper to rent but still, not like their making a ton of money off ticket prices, if you ever read rollingstones top grossing concert acts, pearl jam is NEVER on these lists, cause they dont overcharge, they make a reasonable profit, i have no problem supporting my favorite band as much as i can.
  • skere26skere26 Posts: 304
    Why can there never be a civil discussion about ticket prices? It's like some people take it as a personal insult by saying "hey, prices are getting a little up there". The argument that it doesn't matter because you're seeing the best act in the world is flawed in my eyes; sure a BMW is a fantastic car, but it doesn't mean I can run out and buy one.

I will be attending the Cleveland show because right now I can still justify the price of the show, however I have had to think twice about it. When prices reach the 3 digit point per ticket is when I will bow out.

Finally, Last summer I saw No Doubt (I think Gwen is hot) for $10. They had a lot more visual effects tied with there show and the same amount of band members to pay. If you wanted the super close seats (first 10 rows) that cost $85, they gave you their entire Catalog to download with your purchase. The show itself was alot of fun, and most importantly, I heard alot of people saying they wouldn't have gone, but hell tix were 10 bucks...I feel like Pearl jam isn't helping to attract new fans to their live show experience with such high prices.

In closing, its OK to question things....including the Band.

I forfeit the remainder of my time to the Speaker.
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    justam wrote:
    To be downstairs and up close, that's not an unreasonable ticket price.
    If you want to pay less, you can always buy a regular ticket and sit waaaay up high in the arena. ;)

Wrong.

PJ ticket prices are usually pretty uniform no matter where you are. I paid the same for behind-the-stage at Night 3 in Philly as my buddies did for up in the rafters at the opposite end of the arena... which incidentally was roughly the same amount I paid for 10c seats the other 3 nights.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    Ticket prices have gone up, that we can all agree on. But I don't feel that is has reached a ridiculous point. I think it was last summer when my wife wanted to see Coldplay at Alpine. A pair of reserved tickets was going to run about $320, if I remember correctly. Maybe we aren't getting the boys at Alpine because they aren't willing to put us in that situation.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Skere ( and a few others) good posts! I just looked through my order history and the prices i paid for 10C tix the past 7 years....this is a rather large increase and warrants the original post, IMO.
  • pearl jam is NEVER on these lists, cause they dont overcharge, they make a reasonable profit.

In 2000 and 2003, Pearl Jam was on this list.
    After 2003, they are not on this list for only one reason:
    They did not play a lot of dates these years.
    If they would do extensive tours like many other bands, they would be on the list for sure.

In my eyes, their prices are pretty high, especially considering they have minimal costs considering their shows (6 guys on stage, no special stage or light show).
    They make the prices, so we have to accept it or leave it.
    If there only wasn't the fact of what the band stood for for many years and what was one reason for me for becoming a huge fan...
  • I don't think the face value of the tickets is too outrageous. At least with Pearl Jam you know you're going to see a 2.5-3 hour kick ass concert.

It is the ticket service fees that are totally out of control. The presale tickets include these fees already in the price being paid. Unfortunately, there is no way around these fees due to the venues the band is performing at.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    how much are yankee tickets?
    how much are ranger tickets?
    how much are tickets to the opera?
    how much are tickets to cirque du soleil

i'm pretty sure - for good seats at all of the above they are more expensive ...

$80 a ticket is completely fair by today's standards ... consider $2 goes to charity ... money goes towards running this fan club ... paying their crew a decent wage ... for me - i'd gladly pay $80 to see PJ play live for 2 hrs compared to all the other comparable performances ...

i appreciate that $80 is a lot of money for people and it's not about what the market will bear (which is probably higher) - it's about what is a fair price ... and $80 is more than fair ...
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,445
    I am a firm believer in the "Pearl Jam Savings Fund", if you just save $10 a week, for a year, you have $520 saved for tickets and hotels.....right?

At least by doing it this way, it doesnt seem to be such a big "HIT" to your checkbook, when tickets go on sale.

As far as the original post? I really dont think $85 for a ticket to see Pearl Jam is expensive. I really dont. I think it is a bargain, actually.

Just my humble, Tuesday morning, before I have had a pot of coffee, opinion.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    polaris_x wrote:
    how much are yankee tickets?
    how much are ranger tickets?
    how much are tickets to the opera?
    how much are tickets to cirque du soleil

You really want to compare these? Then include all costs...how many people are involved? What's the cost for the stages? Costumes?

It really isn't a good comparison at all.

Bottom line is if Pearl Jam hadn't put themselves on the low ticket pedestal in the first place, then it would be an issue as their tickets are normal to slightly higher than normal. However, they put themselves there and apparently have had a change of heart.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    to me 173 isnt that bad if i can get pj tix for that price..

i spent 600 in total to go to the last 2 msg shows cause wasnt a club member and couldnt get off ticketmaster

i do not really have this kind of money but theres few bands i will do this for

i dont go to many expensive shows to begin with cause i like smaller bands
  • I may have missed something, but how does the OP know the prices of the tix already? All 4 that are posted are $150 (which I believe is cheaper than I paid last year).
    Columbus 00 / Buffalo 03 / Toledo 04 / Kitchener 05 / London 05 / Hamilton 05 / Toronto 05 / Toronto I 06 / Toronto II 06 / Pittsburgh 06 / Cincinnati 06 / DC 08 / NYC I 08 / NYC II 08 / Hartford 08 / Toronto 09 / Chicago I 09 / Chicago II 09 / Philly III 09 / Philly IV 09 / Cleveland 10 / Buffalo 10 / Hartford 10 / Toronto I 11 / Toronto II 11 / Hamilton 11 / London 13 / Pittsburgh 13 / Buffalo 13 / Toronto I 16 / Toronto II 16 / Boston II 16
    http://www.Sports-Casters.com
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    they posted the prices under the initial announcement on the main site
  • morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    I never understand these price complaints. Just look around, PJ's ticket prices are EXTREMELY reasonable compared to other big acts. Nuff said.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite