****Official SNL Viewing Thread****

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Unthought Known is the greatest song Pearl Jam has ever written/performed.....

He sang your favorite part well last night too! ;)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    edited March 2010
    Post edited by norm on
  • im not gonna read through every page of this thread, but based on what comments ive read on posts and the negativity... it just reinforces how much many so called pj fans are whiney bitches...

and ya know what? if this snl stint really pissed you off and you think the boys sold out or arent pj frm 92... than do us all a favor and dont buy tickets to their shows this week... itll make it easier for the rest of us to get in.

as for me? I love that we still have the chance to see pj live on tv...and seeing them on tv is still a rarity. they could easily drop by mtv and be special guests on american idol...or have reality shows to choose their next drummer...but they are still pearl jam and i think have retained their integrity over the past 20 yrs...so yeah my argument is that when they are on tv im excited...cause they do this what, once every two to three yrs? (not counting conan last yr, but still!)

i thought the songs were great! no complaints... and finally this forth time round they were put into a skit! hilarious!

overall i thought the show was great...bring on the flustercuck of ticket sales this week...

WOW...I came to this thread to see all the great comments on the performance last night (my mistake)! The band was tight, Ed sounded great and the skit was hysterical. They are in prime form for the upcoming tour and I can't wait. The haters that are still living in '91, please stay home so the true fans can get tickets this week and enjoy the shows.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    justam wrote:

Yes he did....

I cant get enough of that song......

It is Pearl Jam at their very best....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    I thought it was a good performance...ed sounded good and the sketch was an added bonus...what's there to complain about?!
  • Pearl JamesPearl James Posts: 420
    pjsnlbetter.jpg

Ahhhh PJ :)
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    norm wrote:
    Judge, ya gotta understand that that some of us think that Backspacer really, really sucks. I personally think it's horrible. That doesn't mean I'm living in the past or hoping for Jack Irons to come back, I just don't like it. And there's a lot of people who share this view. Now, I can't speak for them, but I personally am not trying to be a "hater" or anything like that. But when someone posts how great Unthought Known is, I post how I completely disagree with that.

dude, dud you go to school? are you educated? sucks is meaningless...it is not critical thinking...if you don't like it, say that...or should i start treating you people like 3 year olds...'use your words'

if the album truly sucked, i doubt the band would have released it nor would it have sold any copies upon it's release

Oh my god. I can't believe you actually went that route: asking if I went to school and am educated. And the funniest part is when you say "if the album truly sucked, i doubt the band would have released it nor would it have sold any copies upon it's release." Dude, there are THOUSANDS of records that suck but yet have been released and sold millions of copies.

But as you so eloquently put it, "sucks is meaningless." That's a great sentence right there. And you ask ME if I'm educated? But as you suggested, allow me to used "critical thinking" rather than saying it simply "sucks":

I find Pearl Jam's Backspacer record to be a uninspired effort. I think the lyrics to the hard rockers (Gonna See My Friend, Supersonic, and The Fixer) to be among the worst Eddie has ever written. And it's not because they're "simple" because it's not like Animal or Smile have the most complicated lyrics. But they seem very uninspired...as he'd have written just about anything to be able to finish the songs. I think the other four members of the band have NO IDEAS left and that's why the riffs and "solos" in the mid-tempo songs (Force of Nature, Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known) sound so generic. Really, any band could have come up with those songs. And as for Just Breathe, The End, and Speed of Sound, they'd be better off on a Eddie solo album because the band adds nothing to them.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • SP96445SP96445 Posts: 215
    I fully enjoyed the SNL apperance. The TZ sketch with the band was classic. The guys seem very comfortable with where they are at this station of their lives/careers. Maybe chalk it up to "growing up?"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    pjsnlbetter.jpg

:lol: :thumbup: best part last night
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    pjsnlbetter.jpg

agreed
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    I would def get some copies of that skit because I doubt we will see it anytime soon...
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,256
    People here stating that Stone didn't look happy and Mike was not inspired or into it that is a perception but it's the furthest from the truth , these guys are grown men if they didn't like the songs that were going to be performed they would of spoke up and worked out any differences of choices :) that is what i have to believe is the case ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    JA15261 wrote:
    OK - I just watched (i.e. suffered) this corporate garbage and the obvious question is why/wtf?

Ed appeared to be barely engaged and invested in this performance - I don't blame him one bit.

They didn't rock out - which is OK - but there was no passion to drive the force of the slower songs.

Why was this gig necessary in any manner? What untapped demographic is Peal Jam winning-over at this point? Money? ---- Really? (funny ha-ha fat Jerry Seinfeld)

Nice fake-echo-digitized BS that totally destroyed the important meaning behind the end of unthought known.

Why? Why? Why?

This was toned-down, compliant, reserved, scared, gray-t shirt-inside-out-corporate-rock shelp that mimicked the total capitulation of SNL to tone-deaf mainstream values.

Pearl Jam is far too important and has too much to say to continue to do this debasing sh*t as the corporate sycophants continue to ravage the earth.

Bu$hleaguer, Got Some, etc. - this is the PJ we need.
    Funny.....

I saw a band on stage, performing a couple of songs, and having a great time.

Stone did not look like he was having a good time. I'm sure he enjoyed his previous appearances on SNL when he was rocking the Not For You solo or bobbing his head like a duck during Severed Hand more than providing...ahem...accompaniment for Just Breathe

Dis you se the same show? He danced around with his goofy dance quite a bit during Just Breathe and banged his head and pogoed with the best of them during UK. Looked like he was having a great time!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-pa ... -live.html

It's rare that I focus my "Saturday Night Live" recap on the musical guest, but Pearl Jam overshadowed host Jude Law and the "SNL" players this week.

It wasn't Law's fault. He was fine--charming, warm and a total pro in the sketches. But the material just wasn't there. This week's edition felt a little tired, as if the "SNL" writers and performers were exhausted after three weeks of original shows. Maybe Loren Michaels should stick to the two-weeks-on, two-weeks-off schedule.

Back to Pearl Jam. Wow, if ever a musical guest deserved a third performance it was this week. Eddie Vedder sounded amazing singing "Just Breathe" and "Unthought Known" from "Backspacer." Instead of repeating the Under-Underground Records (another sign cast and crew needed a break), "SNL" could have let Eddie and the boys play another tune.
    Hmm. I'm sensing an (awesome) pattern here. Guess all the haters must just live behind their computers.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/03/ ... best-bits/

Jude Law was the host, but musical guest Pearl Jam was the real star of last night’s episode of “Saturday Night Live.”

Pearl Jam sounded great in their two songs, and they proved be funny too, popping up briefly in a send-up “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,” the famous “Twilight Zone” episode starring William Shatner as a man who sees a gremlin on the wing of an airplane. In “SNL’s” version, Law plays the Shatner role, and the gremlin is joined on the wing by Pearl Jam.
    http://watching-tv.ew.com/2010/03/14/sa ... -jude-law/

As for Pearl Jam: Eddie Vedder sounded terrific twice, on both the ballad and the rocker. The band also made a cameo in the Twilight Zone sketch that almost lifted the bit into hilarity. Well done, gentlemen.
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,647
    justam wrote:

Yes he did....

I cant get enough of that song......

It is Pearl Jam at their very best....

Agreed. Love that song.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
    Hmm. I'm sensing an (awesome) pattern here. Guess all the haters must just live behind their computers.

Jude Law was the host, but musical guest Pearl Jam was the real star of last night’s episode of “Saturday Night Live.”

Pearl Jam sounded great in their two songs, and they proved be funny too, popping up briefly in a send-up “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,” the famous “Twilight Zone” episode starring William Shatner as a man who sees a gremlin on the wing of an airplane. In “SNL’s” version, Law plays the Shatner role, and the gremlin is joined on the wing by Pearl Jam.

The fact that this guy believes Shatner was in that movie shows he has no clue wtf he is talking about. I saw it in the theater the day it came out. He should go rent it first.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    t0mMye wrote:

The fact that this guy believes Shatner was in that movie shows he has no clue wtf he is talking about. I saw it in the theater the day it came out. He should go rent it first.

um....twilight zone was a tv show before it was a movie and shatner originally played that part on the tv show
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited March 2010
    t0mMye wrote:

Dude,

Shatner was in the original version on the original TV show. Its one of his more famous appearances, hence the "There's something on the wing.. some.. thing." line that people impersonate when they do Shatner impressions.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    t0mMye wrote:

Since you are wrong does that mean you "have no clue wtf" you are talking about? The site says William Shater was in the Twilight Zone EPISODE, which he was. I've seen it many times.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    That part of the movie was in the series?
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    t0mMye wrote:

Yeah, it was a remake of one of the original TZ episodes.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    I stand corrected!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    t0mMye wrote:
    YES!

It is one of Shatner's most famous roles. They remade it for the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0F97LHk ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFE-yMMW ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYTOzbRB ... re=related
    I love that movie and never knew that..haha..I like the skit even more now..thanks
  • jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    pjsnlbetter.jpg

so fuckin funny... i love it... I LOVE IT!!!
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • i thought it was fine. sound almost always sucks on tv and SNL. Im not a big fan of UK anyway, but thought they did alright. Just Breathe was fantastic. looks funny with the other band members kinda standing around with nothing to do, but i dont care.
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    The two songs Pearl Jam played were great...didn't see the skit due to location (had to watch on youtube)...
    Unthought known was amazing and so was Just breathe...
    Unthought known was great the first time I heard it (on the album), the time it was used on flashforward (ep 8)
    and it was brilliant to see it played live this afternoon on SNL on my laptop :)
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • Flagg wrote:
    Funny.....

I saw a band on stage, performing a couple of songs, and having a great time.

Stone did not look like he was having a good time. I'm sure he enjoyed his previous appearances on SNL when he was rocking the Not For You solo or bobbing his head like a duck during Severed Hand more than providing...ahem...accompaniment for Just Breathe

Dis you se the same show? He danced around with his goofy dance quite a bit during Just Breathe and banged his head and pogoed with the best of them during UK. Looked like he was having a great time!
    ha yeah if anything it seemed like he was into it too much, since he was barely playing anything.