• PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    That was fuckin awesome!! I loved seeing them in a skit and UT JB was great
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    edited March 2010
    So I just watched these videos finally.

All I can say is wow, you guys have way too much time on your hands. The performance was standard Pearl Jam that we've seen for the last several years.

This thread is kind of like the 10 club section at the shows almost. People standing there complaining with their arms folded that "Tremor Christ" wasn't the opener and complain that they're sell outs. Then these same people will beg for closer tickets, cut the poster line, mooch food and money off of other show goers and then they'll still complain. :thumbup:
    Post edited by South of Seattle on
    NERDS!
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    yeah, they did a fine job. now i just need to see the skit and i'm set.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Super impressed they've grown up so very fine!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,485
    doompony wrote:
    yeah, they did a fine job. now i just need to see the skit and i'm set.

All are available over @ Facebook. ;)
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    No Way wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Some really expected them to go a rock assault on tv, to be anti establishment and try to alienate the mass watching audience to please the minority hardcore fanclub members? To say fuck you to the mainstream? I'm sorry... The band grew up .... Shame so many got left behind

oh and yeah I enjoyed it. I love watching pearl jam do what they do

Well put - I couldn't agree more. I thought both performances were great. It's always a treat to see PJ on live TV.

I thought it was awesome as well. Unthought Known blew me away. It was great to hear and the band did great with it. Eddie nailed Just Breathe. Don't know why anyone would complain about the songs they choose to play. I liked the selection. One song that a lot of people would know and one song that is fricking amazing. What better way could they have done it? They've only got TWO songs to play!! Anyways, I enjoyed the fuck out of it! :D
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    People, it was a good overall performance....not great though.

I agree with the one poster about the audio -echo effects on UnthoughtKnown. Just terrible,unnecessary, and it DID make the song come off as cheap and cheesy. Though I believe Unthought will never be played live as good as the studio version is.
    To the people who say that "Backspacer" has no good mid-tempo songs, you're crazy. Amongst the Waves and UnthoughtKnown are 2 very good songs, as good as they have done in many years.

I could do without Just Breathe. Ifthat track was on Into the Wild it still wouldnt be in my top 3 songs. It's an OK song, but nothing great. The majority of the ITW songs are much stronger IMO.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think the band is very proud of Just Breathe and likes its message. Also seeing the softer side of PJ brings new fans
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Funny seeing Seinfeld up on the stage at shows end
    talking and chatting with Ed and the other fellas,
    he must be a fan .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • mikeyb46mikeyb46 Posts: 44
    I bet the reason they played unthought known is because its there next single ....i mean the song is pure gold hit ...........and u all need to stop bitching ...just be happy they played on t.v.

Toronto / Sept 21/96 -Barrie/aug 22/98- Auburn Hills, /oct 07 /00
    Grand Rapids /oct 03/04 -London/sept 12/05-Hamilton /sept 13/05
    Toronto/sept 19/05 -Toronto/ may 09/06 - Toronto/aug 21/09- Hamilton /sept 15 /11
  • AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Posts: 1,510
    That was AWESOME!! Can't wait for May!!!
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Just watched the Just Breathe link - fantastic!!! Thanks for posting it. :D
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    This thread is kind of like the 10 club section at the shows almost. People standing there complaining with their arms folded that "Tremor Christ" wasn't the opener and complain that they're sell outs. Then these same people will beg for closer tickets, cut the poster line, mooch food and money off of other show goers and then they'll still complain. :thumbup:

Exactly.

I truly cannot get over all of the negativity. The band we all dearly love performs two songs
    to damned near perfection on Live Television, 20 years after their inception and all some can do
    is complain and over analyze.

The level of harsh criticism really blows me away, and it always will.

Is there no merit to the fact that a band who has been around for 20 years
    is still asked to perform...anywhere? What were people's expectations, really?

A 15 minute State Of Love and Trust?

Sit back and enjoy the show folks, because it ain't gonna last forever.
    Nice shirt.
  • AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Posts: 1,510

Exactly.

I truly cannot get over all of the negativity. The band we all dearly love performs two songs
    to damned near perfection on Live Television, 20 years after their inception and all some can do

I agree 1000%
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    JA15261 wrote:
    Gentlepeople please, this is not "old" vs. "new" PJ.

PJ “grew up” – get over yourself.

This is PJ in the context in which we currently live.

This is nothing short of the battle for the soul of the PJ as we know and love it.

And for the haters that don't want the "political" vibe; well, life/music is the ultimate political act.

No sh*t - PJ rocks and the performance tonight was fuc*ing top-notch as usual; however, you can't divorce the performance from context and reality.

PJ's next album has to be Riot Act II or nearly all is lost. Not because I say, but because PJ - by their previous actions and art - have cast the stone and moniker. If they abrogate their previous acts, beliefs, and art, then – well - they have sold out to Target and the long list of BS that they have engaged (e.g. SNL tonight).

Yeah – Bu$hleaguer; if you don’t hear it and its associated argument articulated in the entire catalog then you are lost.

Look at what we ascribe to their music – we better want more than a “solid” performance; in fact, we need more. This is why we love PJ. We love; but more importantly, we hope they will articulate and pursue what we cannot accomplish on our own. We want to rally behind the power of PJ as they facilitate the power of the populace.

PJ Forever - I hope.

Dude, just when you're favorite football team sucks it up...you say to yourself "Wow, they really sucked it up today." It doesn't mean you don't still love and support them. Anyway, that's how I feel about all things Backspacer. The band played Backspacer songs last night and during the songs, I couldn't help but think to myself "Wow, this sucks."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    this analogy sucks

ok I follow Manchester united

In 1991 they won the European cup winners cup. Mark Hughes stole the show in Rotterdam. I'm sure it would be hilarious to watch that team play that final now - 20 years on.
    JA15261 wrote:
    Gentlepeople please, this is not "old" vs. "new" PJ.

PJ “grew up” – get over yourself.

This is PJ in the context in which we currently live.

This is nothing short of the battle for the soul of the PJ as we know and love it.

And for the haters that don't want the "political" vibe; well, life/music is the ultimate political act.

No sh*t - PJ rocks and the performance tonight was fuc*ing top-notch as usual; however, you can't divorce the performance from context and reality.

PJ's next album has to be Riot Act II or nearly all is lost. Not because I say, but because PJ - by their previous actions and art - have cast the stone and moniker. If they abrogate their previous acts, beliefs, and art, then – well - they have sold out to Target and the long list of BS that they have engaged (e.g. SNL tonight).

Yeah – Bu$hleaguer; if you don’t hear it and its associated argument articulated in the entire catalog then you are lost.

Look at what we ascribe to their music – we better want more than a “solid” performance; in fact, we need more. This is why we love PJ. We love; but more importantly, we hope they will articulate and pursue what we cannot accomplish on our own. We want to rally behind the power of PJ as they facilitate the power of the populace.

PJ Forever - I hope.

Dude, just when you're favorite football team sucks it up...you say to yourself "Wow, they really sucked it up today." It doesn't mean you don't still love and support them. Anyway, that's how I feel about all things Backspacer. The band played Backspacer songs last night and during the songs, I couldn't help but think to myself "Wow, this sucks."
  • Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    There is alot of criticism on here....I was happy to see them perform last night. Was it my fav. performance of all time? No. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did i wish they played something upbeat? Sure!
    But overall it was a chance for me to see my favorite band, enjoy 2 well performed songs, and get pumped for the upcoming tour. Everything they do doesn't have to be the best thing we've ever seen to date, does it? I mean - it was SNL for God's sake -not closing down the Spectrum or Soldier Field...lets put it in perspective ;)
    pdalowsky wrote:
    this analogy sucks

ok I follow Manchester united

In 1991 they won the European cup winners cup. Mark Hughes stole the show in Rotterdam. I'm sure it would be hilarious to watch that team play that final now - 20 years on.

Yeah I understand you're saying that the players on Manchester now are different than the players they had in 1991. But you still like "Manchester United" just like you still like "Pearl Jam". My point is that you could be overly critical of Pearl Jam and think their new songs sucks but still love them.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,595
    wow.

some of you people never cease to disgust me.

i think they sounded great last night. would have liked to have seen force of nature ( :lol: ) but still...they sounded pretty damn tight. i was impressed with ed's voice too.....though he did either forget the lyrics or purposely switch them (i am thinking the former) to both songs which always bugs me.
    www.myspace.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,256
    I thought they were great last night no complaints from me to the haters it's time you guys just move on obviously the band is not doing it for you guys ,I'll be sure to write my reviews of the Hartford & MSG I & II shows specially how they sound from the 3rd row :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: ....Seniority rulesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :lol::lol: ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

All I can say is wow, you guys have way too much time on your hands. The performance was standard Pearl Jam that we've seen for the last several years.

This
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    Flagg wrote:

This
    Yep...

Our friend South Of Seattle hit the nail, right on the head, didnt he????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    im not gonna read through every page of this thread, but based on what comments ive read on posts and the negativity... it just reinforces how much many so called pj fans are whiney bitches...

and ya know what? if this snl stint really pissed you off and you think the boys sold out or arent pj frm 92... than do us all a favor and dont buy tickets to their shows this week... itll make it easier for the rest of us to get in.

as for me? I love that we still have the chance to see pj live on tv...and seeing them on tv is still a rarity. they could easily drop by mtv and be special guests on american idol...or have reality shows to choose their next drummer...but they are still pearl jam and i think have retained their integrity over the past 20 yrs...so yeah my argument is that when they are on tv im excited...cause they do this what, once every two to three yrs? (not counting conan last yr, but still!)

i thought the songs were great! no complaints... and finally this forth time round they were put into a skit! hilarious!

overall i thought the show was great...bring on the flustercuck of ticket sales this week...
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
    JA15261 wrote:
    OK - I just watched (i.e. suffered) this corporate garbage and the obvious question is why/wtf?

Ed appeared to be barely engaged and invested in this performance - I don't blame him one bit.

They didn't rock out - which is OK - but there was no passion to drive the force of the slower songs.

Why was this gig necessary in any manner? What untapped demographic is Peal Jam winning-over at this point? Money? ---- Really? (funny ha-ha fat Jerry Seinfeld)

Nice fake-echo-digitized BS that totally destroyed the important meaning behind the end of unthought known.

Why? Why? Why?

This was toned-down, compliant, reserved, scared, gray-t shirt-inside-out-corporate-rock shelp that mimicked the total capitulation of SNL to tone-deaf mainstream values.

Pearl Jam is far too important and has too much to say to continue to do this debasing sh*t as the corporate sycophants continue to ravage the earth.

Bu$hleaguer, Got Some, etc. - this is the PJ we need.
    Funny.....

I saw a band on stage, performing a couple of songs, and having a great time.
    JA15261 wrote:
    OK - I just watched (i.e. suffered) this corporate garbage and the obvious question is why/wtf?

Ed appeared to be barely engaged and invested in this performance - I don't blame him one bit.

They didn't rock out - which is OK - but there was no passion to drive the force of the slower songs.

Why was this gig necessary in any manner? What untapped demographic is Peal Jam winning-over at this point? Money? ---- Really? (funny ha-ha fat Jerry Seinfeld)

Nice fake-echo-digitized BS that totally destroyed the important meaning behind the end of unthought known.

Why? Why? Why?

This was toned-down, compliant, reserved, scared, gray-t shirt-inside-out-corporate-rock shelp that mimicked the total capitulation of SNL to tone-deaf mainstream values.

Pearl Jam is far too important and has too much to say to continue to do this debasing sh*t as the corporate sycophants continue to ravage the earth.

Bu$hleaguer, Got Some, etc. - this is the PJ we need.
    Funny.....

I saw a band on stage, performing a couple of songs, and having a great time.

Stone did not look like he was having a good time. I'm sure he enjoyed his previous appearances on SNL when he was rocking the Not For You solo or bobbing his head like a duck during Severed Hand more than providing...ahem...accompaniment for Just Breathe

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

Exactly.

here are two people who get it

i got bummed out last night coming here...if this band doesn't to it for you anymore, move on...jack's not coming back...either is dave a or for that manner 1994...i know there a lyric out there about living in the present tense...y'all should try it some time....the water is fine
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I don't understand all this negativity either. :geek:

We got to see them play songs we love on TV. Let's be glad about it!!! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    norm wrote:

Exactly.

here are two people who get it

i got bummed out last night coming here...if this band doesn't to it for you anymore, move on...jack's not coming back...either is dave a or for that manner 1994...i know there a lyric out there about living in the present tense...y'all should try it some time....the water is fine

Judge, ya gotta understand that that some of us think that Backspacer really, really sucks. I personally think it's horrible. That doesn't mean I'm living in the past or hoping for Jack Irons to come back, I just don't like it. And there's a lot of people who share this view. Now, I can't speak for them, but I personally am not trying to be a "hater" or anything like that. But when someone posts how great Unthought Known is, I post how I completely disagree with that.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Unthought Known is the greatest song Pearl Jam has ever written/performed.....