****Official SNL Viewing Thread****

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I thought the band sounded great; especially on "Just Breathe". "Unthought Known" is a great song...and it sounded good...but I would have loved to see them play "Supersonic" or "Gonna See My Friend"...that would have just killed...oh well.

I don't know about anyone else...but I actually got kind of giddy seeing Eddie and Jerry talking there at the end...And the seeing the boys in a skit was cool too...

All in all, I'm glad I stayed up.

yea that was awesome seeing Ed and Jerry talk. Anyone notice how stone was just awkwardly standing there hardly talking? I'm sorry but stone is such a nerd. (and I mean that in the nicest way possible)
    I think at one point he was dancing to the background music :lol:

yea that and him playing with the puppet. He's like one of those nerdy guys who tries to be funny and cool. :lol:
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I'm actually enjoying the "80's Ballads" infomercial more than SNL. I love Air Supply!
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    Now that it's over and down with I don't really get playing a song thats been out for months and already peaked, why not play one of the 'rock songs' from the BS sessions and surprise everyone? Remember when they played Not For You after VS. came out, everyone was like what the fuck is this but it was awesome.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    dwjmu84 wrote:
    DP13 wrote:
    The band did not impress or make an impression.

Wasted opportunity...

my thoughts exactly. and we're all frustrated b/c WE KNOW the caliber of the music, but it just seems they make poor strategic decisions some times. maybe there's something involved that we cannot see...i'll admit as much. i'll be starting a petition for FON, GSMF etc at bristow on may 13th. i know they boys are getting older but i see cover bands (with 50 yr olds) in the bars here in NOVA rocking harder than pearl jam did tonight.
    They ROCK their balls off, every time they perform a 2.5-3.5 hour live concert....

RIGHT????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Great performances from the guys. Was hoping for a 3rd song.
    I miss igotid88
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Traget was a marketing disaster and so was SNL......Kelly has to say we need you guys to bring the thunder tonight...those songs could have been played with a ukulele...oh wait we do that lately too...
    Sawyer wrote:
    Traget was a marketing disaster and so was SNL......Kelly has to say we need you guys to bring the thunder tonight...those songs could have been played with a ukulele...oh wait we do that lately too...

Target marketing worked with what they wanted to do.
    I miss igotid88
  • cheryl23cheryl23 Posts: 10
    tcaporale wrote:
    Kanye East wrote:
    So because we're in the FAN club, does that mean we have to praise anything and everything the band does, even when they dont sound great and play boring songs??
    Of course not, and the songs being "boring" is not a fact.

But some of you are clearly going overboard with the criticism and cynicism, almost like you're trying not to enjoy it, searching for little things to point out.

Totally agree! Of course some fans have different opinions than others. I don't think either song is boring, they happen to be two of my favorites! That's my opinion. It would be boring if we all had the same opinion. It's cool to express your opinion, but coming on here and talking shit about the guys, their hair, their clothes, etc...not very cool...or interesting IMO!
  • They seem like they're trying to make the transition from great rock band to great adult contemporary band. My mom's friends are telling her they like the new PJ songs on the radio. Imagine their shock if they buy a ticket and hear Lukin and Blood :lol:
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • RebekahRebekah Posts: 44
    If a band wants to continue to be successful, a good business decision is to continue to build your fan base. playing blood or tremor Christ? SO not the way its gonna happen. Yeah, they'd make all the old fans happy, but that's it. Ive seen all the old stuff, more than happy to see it again, but on snl they have a chance to reach out to tons of people who normally wouldn't see them. They need to show who they are NOW, a current, well balanced , talented, fun band. They did that. Props, PJ.
    Caught a bolt of lightening...cursed the day he let it go....
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I just got done watcing SNL from my DVR because I saw the fight first.

WOW! I am definitely shocked reading the comments and complaints in this thread. I thought everyone would love it. I definitely thought PJ's performance tonight was solid. When Kat first announced that PJ was going to be on SNL, I immediately thought they would play Just Breathe and Unthought Known. After the jeagler's thread and some other rumors I was hoping it would be Just Breathe and Force of Nature as I knew they would play JB for sure..but the band went with the safe choices. Still a good performance and JB and UK are two of my favorite songs from Backspacer so I had no issues with the song selection. Johnny Guitar and Gonna See my Friend would have been poor choices IMO even though I love the former.

I think some people just can't accept change.

Would've loved a third song.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Yeah that was great! Love seeing them on the TV...

always amazes me though, how some of the fans can act like they know more about PJs career or what song choices they should make... or the ones that are like...."well all of my friends say this song is the best..." ummm ok... whatev... why is it that the loudmouths always come out in full force? And for the most part it always seems like anger or hate... or for some where its like "man, im too cool to like any of the stuff that can be deemed mainstream...fuck that noise"... I just find it a bit fascinating the negativity that can be thrown around. I mean there is nothing wrong with criticism but some of the venom thats spewed is ridiculous... its like when the republicans get all up in arms over some stupid shit... or here in Canada when the Conservatives start going....or like FOX news...

anyways... thought it was awesome!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Rebekah wrote:
    If a band wants to continue to be successful, a good business decision is to continue to build your fan base. playing blood or tremor Christ? SO not the way its gonna happen. Yeah, they'd make all the old fans happy, but that's it. Ive seen all the old stuff, more than happy to see it again, but on snl they have a chance to reach out to tons of people who normally wouldn't see them. They need to show who they are NOW, a current, well balanced , talented, fun band. They did that. Props, PJ.

I think they're kidding about playing old songs like Tremor Christ. But the point they're making I guess is that at least the band plays songs like that with some energy. The band looked totally disinterested. Mike tried to fake it...but you could see right through it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I searched Pearl Jam on twitter to see what "normal" people were saying about the show (sorry guys ;) ) and about half the comments consisted of "wow, since when did Pearl Jam get back together?" :lol: :roll: :lol:
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    i dont know. The opening skit was a little over the top and long for me but I like the boundries they continue to push. I was a little put back that just breathe was their first choice. I understood why and it was better than anything else on tv HANDS DOWN!!! The airplane skit I thought was funny. I laughed out loud. I think I even woke my kids. It was perfect! Jerry Seinfeld and Seth Meyer's Really? Was really Funny! i kinda like seeing Jerry Seinfeld on tv lately, something that has been missed. you could tell that as New Yorkers they were pissed off at their elected officals. 2nd song was pretty damn good as well. Stone had a puppet, he is a geek but we love him anyways. Missed high five/hand shake thing made me laugh too.

ALL of this just makes me look forward to May!

Thanks for a fun Saturday night. Happy Day light savings. Welcome Spring. Oh glorious May I can not wait!

I like my 2 month plan! Who needs a 5 year??!!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    edited March 2010
    Rebekah wrote:
    eh, they're successful enough. they don't need to be promoting a cheesy single like JB after it's been on the radio for months. play what the band feels, man.

They looked like they were having the most fun when the actual show was over. :|

and I'm only messing around about playing the early stuff. I only reference those songs because they're filled with so much energy, while the songs they played tonight are most definitely not.
    Post edited by PJamGrungeFan on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Will you fuckers ever be happy?
    over bends wrote:
    I searched Pearl Jam on twitter to see what "normal" people were saying about the show (sorry guys ;) ) and about half the comments consisted of "wow, since when did Pearl Jam get back together?" :lol: :roll: :lol:

This is what most people I work with say when I tell them how many shows I am going to.
  • PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    DS114969 wrote:

WOW! I am definitely shocked reading the comments and complaints in this thread. I thought everyone would love it. I definitely thought PJ's performance tonight was solid. When Kat first announced that PJ was going to be on SNL, I immediately thought they would play Just Breathe and Unthought Known. After the jeagler's thread and some other rumors I was hoping it would be Just Breathe and Force of Nature as I knew they would play JB for sure..but the band went with the safe choices. Still a good performance and JB and UK are two of my favorite songs from Backspacer so I had no issues with the song selection. Johnny Guitar and Gonna See my Friend would have been poor choices IMO even though I love the former.

I think some people just can't accept change.

Would've loved a third song.

Just read 23 pages of thread and would've typed this verbatim had I not read it first.
    Dear DS114969,
    Ditto.
    Sincerely yours,
    PNuttyJam
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • excuse me but it's so effing funny reading the majority of y'all's responses, LOL wise up! I was just forced to watch Pearl Jam's amazing SNL preformance in a clustered bar full of _________, live, & without sound. The bartender almost missed timed their performance & was dissing my apple cider order. (was Ed's T-shirt a Pennywise T-shirt turned insideout?) kinda cool how Matt & Ed matched too neat yo)
    If Miles Davis is blue
    & Jimi Hendrix is purple
    then Pearl Jam is orange!
    o.k. ummmm BTW - just got the hottest chick's number in town on spring break anybody know Abigail Roads from Wisconsin? LOL

what songs did they play?
    04-22-92
    08-04-92
    03-28-94
    08-09-00
    08-27-00
    04-13-03
    06-12-08

"maybe it me or it maybe you"
  • edited March 2010
    dwjmu84 wrote:
    DP13 wrote:
    The band did not impress or make an impression.

Wasted opportunity...

my thoughts exactly. and we're all frustrated b/c WE KNOW the caliber of the music, but it just seems they make poor strategic decisions some times. maybe there's something involved that we cannot see...i'll admit as much. i'll be starting a petition for FON, GSMF etc at bristow on may 13th. i know they boys are getting older but i see cover bands (with 50 yr olds) in the bars here in NOVA rocking harder than pearl jam did tonight.
    i will start a petition for them not to play Force of Nature to offset you! that song would have been awful for SNL.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
    Rebekah wrote:

I think they're kidding about playing old songs like Tremor Christ. But the point they're making I guess is that at least the band plays songs like that with some energy. The band looked totally disinterested. Mike tried to fake it...but you could see right through it.

something tells me you would've been disappointed no matter what.
    I miss igotid88
  • Just Breathe was great. i dont care if the rest of the band has nothing to do.
  • over bends wrote:

That's not an uncommon comment, I think.... we spend our days surrounded by the comments of super die-hard fans. Your average joe, they don't know anything about PJ (well, maybe now thanks to Target commercials). But for the last ten years, most times when I tell someone PJ is my favorite band, and I am going to see them in concert, for example, it's "Those guys are still touring?"

So wait a minute here, though... PJ didn't get the rare 3rd song, but they showed a rerun of the "Underground Rock Festival" commercial??? That was on a few months ago!!
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
    PNuttyJam wrote:

No need to watch either of those two fuckers fight anyone unless it is each other. AS a 20 year boxing fan, tonight was the first fight I didn't order and I am damn proud. They can all go fuck themselves. $30-$40 mil each and they don't have the motherfucking balls to fight each other. Fuck you Pacman, Fuck you Money May, Fuck You Arum and Fuck you Schaefer.

/End Rant, back to SNL
  • dwjmu84 wrote:
    just breathe was well performed, regardless of whether or not I agree with the song choice.

same cannot be said about UK however. why are the boys so afraid to rock out??? in 06 we got WWS and severed hand.....and now we get a md tempo and an eddie solo perf. i thought PEARL JAM was doing snl????

The band doesn't seem to be aware that their mid-tempo stuff sucks now. Whereas it used to be what they did best...songs like Dissident and In Hiding....all their mid-tempo songs from the last two albums have been uninspired crap.
    Harsh... but true... :(
    thirded. they should stick to rockers and slow Eddie songs from now on.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    igotid88 wrote:
    Rebekah wrote:

something tells me you would've been disappointed no matter what.

Well I do think Backspacer sucks so that is a possibility.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JA15261JA15261 Posts: 9
    OK - I just watched (i.e. suffered) this corporate garbage and the obvious question is why/wtf?

Ed appeared to be barely engaged and invested in this performance - I don't blame him one bit.

They didn't rock out - which is OK - but there was no passion to drive the force of the slower songs.

Why was this gig necessary in any manner? What untapped demographic is Peal Jam winning-over at this point? Money? ---- Really? (funny ha-ha fat Jerry Seinfeld)

Nice fake-echo-digitized BS that totally destroyed the important meaning behind the end of unthought known.

Why? Why? Why?

This was toned-down, compliant, reserved, scared, gray-t shirt-inside-out-corporate-rock shelp that mimicked the total capitulation of SNL to tone-deaf mainstream values.

Pearl Jam is far too important and has too much to say to continue to do this debasing sh*t as the corporate sycophants continue to ravage the earth.

Bu$hleaguer, Got Some, etc. - this is the PJ we need.
  • ...I kept telling people in the loud bar around me that the drummer is also in a jazz band AND Soundgarden over & over again... the people in the bar next to me kept saying... "Pearl Jam are still together?" & "Are'nt they 45? ..." bleh bleh blah
    now know what they played it's much respect for my elders...
    04-22-92
    08-04-92
    03-28-94
    08-09-00
    08-27-00
    04-13-03
    06-12-08

"maybe it me or it maybe you"
  • tcaporale wrote:
    I would have played:

1. The Fixer [for obvious reasons; it's the single and the catchiest thing on the album]
    2. Amongst the Waves [anthemic song, sounds great, with a cool guitar solo, what's not to like?]
    holy shit man you're like the anti-me. two worst songs on the album.