****Official SNL Viewing Thread****

Comments

• JA15261 wrote:
    OK - I just watched (i.e. suffered) this corporate garbage and the obvious question is why/wtf?

Ed appeared to be barely engaged and invested in this performance - I don't blame him one bit.

They didn't rock out - which is OK - but there was no passion to drive the force of the slower songs.

Why was this gig necessary in any manner? What untapped demographic is Peal Jam winning-over at this point? Money? ---- Really? (funny ha-ha fat Jerry Seinfeld)

Nice fake-echo-digitized BS that totally destroyed the important meaning behind the end of unthought known.

Why? Why? Why?

This was toned-down, compliant, reserved, scared, gray-t shirt-inside-out-corporate-rock shelp that mimicked the total capitulation of SNL to tone-deaf mainstream values.

Pearl Jam is far too important and has too much to say to continue to do this debasing sh*t as the corporate sycophants continue to ravage the earth.

Bu$hleaguer, Got Some, etc. - this is the PJ we need.
    relax and take your meds. Bushleaguer? really?
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    JA15261 wrote:
    OK - I just watched (i.e. suffered) this corporate garbage and the obvious question is why/wtf?

Ed appeared to be barely engaged and invested in this performance - I don't blame him one bit.

They didn't rock out - which is OK - but there was no passion to drive the force of the slower songs.

Why was this gig necessary in any manner? What untapped demographic is Peal Jam winning-over at this point? Money? ---- Really? (funny ha-ha fat Jerry Seinfeld)

Nice fake-echo-digitized BS that totally destroyed the important meaning behind the end of unthought known.

Why? Why? Why?

This was toned-down, compliant, reserved, scared, gray-t shirt-inside-out-corporate-rock shelp that mimicked the total capitulation of SNL to tone-deaf mainstream values.

Pearl Jam is far too important and has too much to say to continue to do this debasing sh*t as the corporate sycophants continue to ravage the earth.

That is ONE HELL of a 1st POST.......

Personally??

I liked the performances tonight.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • MrSmith wrote:
    JA15261 wrote:

Why? Why? Why?

relax and take your meds. Bushleaguer? really?

Wo wo, you should watch Bu$hleaguer on the special features section of the Live at the Garden DVD. So fucking groovy.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Folks, have you changed at all since....????

Pearl_Jam_300.jpg

Yeah, thought so, it's not 1992 anymore, grow the fuck up.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Pearl_Jam_300.jpg

i dont have to be happy about getting old!
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    this was.... a wasted opportunity as one poster put it earlier. could have done something like FON, ATW, GSMF....fuck even SS or JG.

i've followed with intense devotion since i was 11 years old (15 yrs ago) and have never actually been so unimpressed and uninspired as i am tonight. where were they??

like the colts in the SB this year.....EPIC FAIL.
    MrSmith wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Pearl_Jam_300.jpg

I don't love it either, I am getting fatter and balder by the day, it blows but things change. This is not the band we fell in love with in the early 90's and I am completley fine with that. I still rock the fuck out at the shows and sing every word. They are awesome musicians and have no reason to apologize for not satisfying every memeber of this fan club that have way too high expectations.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Personally??

i did too...i thought they were outstanding

i'm sure now i'll be told i drink a red colored, powdered drink mixed in water and served in a pitcher with a happy face on it
  • what happened to all those UK bandwagoners? i guess they jumped to the even worse Force of Nature bandwagon.

Speed of SOund bandwagon will be loading up soon! get your spot reserved now!
    norm wrote:
    Personally??

i'm sure now i'll be told i drink a red colored, powdered drink mixed in water and served in a pitcher with a happy face on it

I enjoyed it as well.
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    norm wrote:
    Personally??

stop drinking the kool-aid
    For all you people that are hating, don't bother trying to buy tickets for MSG, it's not worth it, just going to be sell-out, corporate garbage. Fuck that, who wants to see that bullshit
  • edited March 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Pearl_Jam_300.jpg

I don't love it either, I am getting fatter and balder by the day, it blows but things change. This is not the band we fell in love with in the early 90's and I am completley fine with that. I still rock the fuck out at the shows and sing every word. They are awesome musicians and have no reason to apologize for not satisfying every memeber of this fan club that have way too high expectations.
    yeah i dont know what people expect, really. their first five albums will never be touched, but as long as theyre still touring im ok with it, even if it means they have to mix in a few crappy new ones at shows.

even they know what their bread and butter songs are.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,485
    norm wrote:
    Personally??

kool-aid-man.jpg

I think it was great, watching the PJ SNL showcase now for the 4th time & not able to sleep as it's already 4:17am Halifax time. :shock:
  • MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    I really liked The Twilight Zone skit... ;) but I did truly want to hear 'Got Some'.
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
  • I luv Peral JAm!
    NERDS!
  • MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    demetrios wrote:

I think it was great, watching the PJ SNL showcase now for the 4th time & not able to sleep as it's already 4:17am Halifax time. :shock:

I forgot it was daylight savings time... :? I'm so super wired!!!
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Pearl_Jam_300.jpg

In the summertime, my fashion sense is pretty much the same as Mike's. :)

Plaid shorts and a t-shirt... bring on the warm weather.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    This was a no win situation for pj. It's a media event, a major one at that, so people were always going to slag it off, much in the way they did the target deal without having heard any of the details

it's funny as if this had been a secret improntu performance in Seattle that only 50 people saw it would be being lauded as amazing. But no were reduced to picking up on the perceptions of the bands mood from their performance. Are you people really that bored?

Some really expected them to go a rock assault on tv, to be anti establishment and try to alienate the mass watching audience to please the minority hardcore fanclub members? To say fuck you to the mainstream? I'm sorry... The band grew up .... Shame so many got left behind

oh and yeah I enjoyed it. I love watching pearl jam do what they do
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    man. no friggin SNL in nz. any of you fine folks record it? yeah? yeah? yeah?
  • doompony wrote:
    man. no friggin SNL in nz. any of you fine folks record it? yeah? yeah? yeah?

There are links earlier in this thread doom.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
    this is a long thread..

i'll do some searchin'
  • Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    Sometimes when I read the posts on this board, I realize there are a lot of stupid people here. You know who you are.

Wait, no you don't. Oh well...
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • No WayNo Way Posts: 39
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Some really expected them to go a rock assault on tv, to be anti establishment and try to alienate the mass watching audience to please the minority hardcore fanclub members? To say fuck you to the mainstream? I'm sorry... The band grew up .... Shame so many got left behind

Well put - I couldn't agree more. I thought both performances were great. It's always a treat to see PJ on live TV.
    I just need someone to be there for . . . me
    I just want someone to be there for . . .
  • JA15261JA15261 Posts: 9
    Gentlepeople please, this is not "old" vs. "new" PJ.

PJ “grew up” – get over yourself.

This is PJ in the context in which we currently live.

This is nothing short of the battle for the soul of the PJ as we know and love it.

And for the haters that don't want the "political" vibe; well, life/music is the ultimate political act.

No sh*t - PJ rocks and the performance tonight was fuc*ing top-notch as usual; however, you can't divorce the performance from context and reality.

PJ's next album has to be Riot Act II or nearly all is lost. Not because I say, but because PJ - by their previous actions and art - have cast the stone and moniker. If they abrogate their previous acts, beliefs, and art, then – well - they have sold out to Target and the long list of BS that they have engaged (e.g. SNL tonight).

Yeah – Bu$hleaguer; if you don’t hear it and its associated argument articulated in the entire catalog then you are lost.

Look at what we ascribe to their music – we better want more than a “solid” performance; in fact, we need more. This is why we love PJ. We love; but more importantly, we hope they will articulate and pursue what we cannot accomplish on our own. We want to rally behind the power of PJ as they facilitate the power of the populace.

PJ Forever - I hope.

"Why must we trust all these rusted men, they don't want no change they're already dead".

I love the M-F’s who feel the original Yellow Ledbetter, etc., but life goes on. Those jackholes who embrace the new, corporate “mainstream” that PJ has supposedly embraced are equally lost and their souls divorced of empathy and justice.

We don’t follow these guys around the globe and spend countless dollars, just because of the pure beauty of music.

“Dialing for corporate dollars keeps the job simple. He’s not a leader, he’s an Ivy Leaguer”
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    by fuck some PJ fans bore me to tears... even as i sit here in my job, I'm a self-employed WatchingPaintDry executive... i'm still sitting here thinking, ah well life could be even more boring... i could be a PJ fan who has borrowed a Delorean and still thinks it's 1992.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    well dang. i must be unitarded because i didn't see any links to the videos. live streams don't help when the show is over.

ho hum
  • here is one...hopefully it won't be taken down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xWpPOjfSU
    "We're heavily Hemingway inspired." -ed
    thanks dude. just watched that one. beautiful.
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    pdalowsky wrote:
    This was a no win situation for pj. It's a media event, a major one at that, so people were always going to slag it off, much in the way they did the target deal without having heard any of the details

it's funny as if this had been a secret improntu performance in Seattle that only 50 people saw it would be being lauded as amazing. But no were reduced to picking up on the perceptions of the bands mood from their performance. Are you people really that bored?

I agree with you. As much as I love seeing Pearl Jam play the fast songs on SNL or even Letterman, people need to realize they are 16 years older from the 1994 SNL (where Ed was just pissed off). I like the fact that all the members of the band seemed to be having a blast on the show. I also like the "Zinn" on Ed's guitar.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09