No Texas shows again, why?!!!

1235»

Comments

• Like I said in another post last night, I heard from someone that Ed is playing an acoustic solo show at sxsw. And it comes from people who work at the bar of said show. It is possible considering people do surprise stuff at sx all the time unannounced

..Is it possible to pass along name of said "bar".. or is that classified information.?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,954

Ok.. I'll bite..what does Ed say to Boom in the Cathedral..? My brother's got my copy at the moment..

the music school teacher asks "why Pistoia?" Ed pauses and says (paraphrasing) "we go where they tell us."

Living in Vegas, I always wondered how this place (not exactly Seattle-esque) got so many shows....turns out Kelly Curtis loves Vegas.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Like I said in another post last night, I heard from someone that Ed is playing an acoustic solo show at sxsw. And it comes from people who work at the bar of said show. It is possible considering people do surprise stuff at sx all the time unannounced

..Is it possible to pass along name of said "bar".. or is that classified information.?

This, I would like to know, because I'll be at SXSW! I assume Stubbs, but who knows...
    Austin, TX
  • Ivn1322Ivn1322 Posts: 68
    Like I said in another post last night, I heard from someone that Ed is playing an acoustic solo show at sxsw. And it comes from people who work at the bar of said show. It is possible considering people do surprise stuff at sx all the time unannounced

This, I would like to know, because I'll be at SXSW! I assume Stubbs, but who knows...

Count me in as well...
  • circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
    You know how you can drive through a town and even though all you have seen is what you see from the road, that still shapes your percetion of that entire city? I think this might have something to do with it. They played at Starplex in 2000 and 2003, which is in a dumpy part of Dallas, some would call a ghetto. In 98 they played Reunion Arena, which was a dump on it's last legs. If they dared to venture out they would not have found much to do. I'm not saying Dallas sucks, but if I'm stopping by for a night or two there's not really much special about the area that is going to make me say 'I'm looking forward to the next time we come here.' Not that Buffalo is a raging party or Kansas City is all that or anything, just sayin.

And I've said it here before, I could tell at the 03 Starplex show that they just weren't into it. They seemed to be on auto pilot. This is just my perception of that show though. I just don't think there's anything about this city or region that they care to come and see again. It's all just kinda blah to them. Austin has more character, it's a cooler city. I'm not trying to bash Dallas because I'm from here, I just think I see why they would rather play other places instead. It does piss me off though. 4 LA shows last year and countless NW shows in the past few years with no proper shows here is a real bummer.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    imalive wrote:

Ok.. I'll bite..what does Ed say to Boom in the Cathedral..? My brother's got my copy at the moment..

the music school teacher asks "why Pistoia?" Ed pauses and says (paraphrasing) "we go where they tell us."

Living in Vegas, I always wondered how this place (not exactly Seattle-esque) got so many shows....turns out Kelly Curtis loves Vegas.
    Ha!! Always wondered too since Ed seems to hate it there.............

Back on topic: TX--hope you get something in the fall.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    You know how you can drive through a town and even though all you have seen is what you see from the road, that still shapes your percetion of that entire city? I think this might have something to do with it. They played at Starplex in 2000 and 2003, which is in a dumpy part of Dallas, some would call a ghetto. In 98 they played Reunion Arena, which was a dump on it's last legs. If they dared to venture out they would not have found much to do. I'm not saying Dallas sucks, but if I'm stopping by for a night or two there's not really much special about the area that is going to make me say 'I'm looking forward to the next time we come here.' Not that Buffalo is a raging party or Kansas City is all that or anything, just sayin.

And I've said it here before, I could tell at the 03 Starplex show that they just weren't into it. They seemed to be on auto pilot. This is just my perception of that show though. I just don't think there's anything about this city or region that they care to come and see again. It's all just kinda blah to them. Austin has more character, it's a cooler city. I'm not trying to bash Dallas because I'm from here, I just think I see why they would rather play other places instead. It does piss me off though. 4 LA shows last year and countless NW shows in the past few years with no proper shows here is a real bummer.

they seemed to love san antonio that year so come back there.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953

I lived in the Dallas area for 5 years. Graduated from North Texas in Denton. Dallas does have some fun things to do. I had a blast going to many shows there, and there are many good eats down town. I love Dallas. I know what you mean though, had to move back to Houston, and I feel it's so boring, mainly cause I grew up here and have seen all the cool things Galveston, Nasa ect.
    Sucks we aren't getting any shows, but I kind of already expected this to happen. ACL was amazing, Loved it. Though, this makes it appear that the whole praising Austin /Apology thing was tongue in cheek. Hopefully they come back soon. Until I get a good enough paying job I'm stuck seeing them here where they never tour- except once in a blue moon.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    No Texas, No MI, it costs money to lug their stuff to states like this.

Sure they could make some money, keep themselves relevent to those states fanbases, but they could make more money by not lugging thier shit up to MI or down to Texas for 1 show. I guess that is their right to do that. They have families and all that.

But, I think they need to rethink the absence makes the heart grown fonder crap. Absence will make you irrelevent, quickly. Especially when the band is 45. I honestly am not even thinking about buying tickets to Indy, it's official IMO, PJ is not better than every other band and are not worth shelling out a weeks pay for for 1 show.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.
  • MCNOSEMANMCNOSEMAN Posts: 24
    Here is the deal. THey get 20 bucks a year from the loyal fans for a 10c membership renewal. Every year fewer and fewer fans in Texas purchase renewals because the only reason they buy them is for premium seat options. As PJ decides not to playTexas again, fewer renewals come in, as fewer renewals come in they decide not to play there and the cycle never ends. FN Sucks. Just renewed mine (just in case)
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side
    I am right by your side...
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I'm coming in late on this thread, and haven't read every post. What I think is happening is that the guys have turned over the booking and promoting totally to other people in the organization and have no "choice" so to speak in where they go. Those of you at ACL will remember Ed talking about being told how long it had been since they played Austin, and he doesn't know why that is - he just goes where they tell him to. He was really gracious and said how they (the band) couldn't believe the reception they got in Austin - all the gifts and people welcoming them, and that they'd try to make it back again. Now, I know Austin isn't Houston or Dallas, but as far as the booking goes, I don't think the band is to blame.

Yeah, the organization's goal may be to "go for it" in terms of money since they probably won't be touring a whole lot longer, but as to specific cities? I don't think so.

Yeah, it's about money, everything is. They're in the twilight of big tour years so the overall goal is probably to get the most out of it.

Does it SUCK, HELL YEAH, but it's just people looking out for their families and their futures. The people we need to rag on are the booking agents and promoters. I wish we could find out who they are..... :twisted: I wouldn't be caught dead in cities like Boston or NY. Rudest motherfuckers on the planet in MY experience. :shifty:
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau