No Texas shows again, why?!!!

Comments

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I cant believe the crap i'm hearing in this thread. There's always gonna be one (or 5 or 10) that feel left out. I feel left out right now, but I cant imagine saying shit like they only play those places for money. They do it becasue they enjoy it. Maybe they enjoy NY more that Texas. I sure would if I were touring. Plus, You might notice that ANY tour usually has some order of travel to it, and those cities are closer together in the NE.

Just pop in the Immagine in Cornice DVD.. watch the part where Ed and Boom are in the cathedral. Ed says something that might make you think twice before acting so childish about "why dont eddie come to my neighborhood now!" geesh.

If I saw this thread with all the whining, i'd never set foot back in texas if I were them.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    SolarWorld wrote:
    So let me get this straight guys... Pearl Jam should detour off their planned Tout and play Texas, at a loss, just to make some whinny fans on a message board happy? Is that it?

Why would it be a loss? Their previous shows here have sold out. And they could've easily gone to Houston or Dallas between New Orleans and the midwest.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Flagg wrote:
    who wants to play in texas?

Every fucking band that exists except for this one.

Thanks for the love guys. Three of the biggest cities in the country and you can't play one show in any of them in 7 fucking years. 7 years!!! Fucking wow. Just wow.

What a fucking joke this has become.

ACL doesn't count. That was a festival in Austin.

They also do the same cities, festivals and arenas in Europe as well. Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland has been waiting more than 10 fucking years. Thats a joke because they are very big in scandinavia and the concerts would have been sold out in minutes. Pearl Jam seems to be the only band that doesn`t want to come here.
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,461
    May 18th will be Camden, NJ.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • well what it boils down to is they dont like touring anymore. they've said this. they just do mini tours in the same places and wherever they decide to vacation to. they can do whatever they want, but understand that they will ultimately lose fans this way, since few people can afford to fly off to MSG. people have every right to feel a little screwed after paying membership fees so long.

there are just too many great bands that dont hate going south to care about saving up for PJ's northeast jaunts anymore.
  • Ouch... well as much as this hurts, we really can't take it personal.. Being the greatest band on earth isn't easy and pleasing all of your fans every tour is impossible.. Regardless, no other band in existence cares as much about their fans as PJ does so the negative comments are totally uncalled for..
    I know ACL shouldn't count because it was a festival setlist, but come on..that show kicked serious ass.. Benny on Red Mosquito and then Mountain song with Perry..I was not at all disappointed, until I heard about the "mud" we were all covered in!

Ok.. I'll bite..what does Ed say to Boom in the Cathedral..? My brother's got my copy at the moment..
  • CServant wrote:
    As a PJ Traveler, it'd be cool to see Dallas. I feel your pain TX...

I feel your pain too, Texas. I have friends in Dallas who I would like to visit and it would have been nice to parlay that with a PJ show or two.

Living in Colorado, I can't understand why they have not returned to Red Rocks since 1995. It's one of the best outdoor venues in the country in my opinion.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    SolarWorld wrote:
    So let me get this straight guys... Pearl Jam should detour off their planned Tout and play Texas, at a loss, just to make some whinny fans on a message board happy? Is that it?

Look dude, sorry. But you have no clue what their profit and loss system is. You think you do, but you don't. A loss? Let's see some figures. Let's see them!! I am sick of people on here that think they know everything about how a band operates their finances just because they are fans.

Detour?? You realize Houston is right down the road from NO right? Going from NO to KC and St. Louis and Coumbia is a bigger detour.

Detour huh? What a fucking joke.

Oh and another thing. Everyone ignores they fact that EVERY BAND IN THE WORLD can manage it but poor, broke, destitute Pearl Jam has to pinch pennies I guess.

After all they have families!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    Everyone needs to try some decaf in this thread..
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    DS114969 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Why would it be a loss? Their previous shows here have sold out. And they could've easily gone to Houston or Dallas between New Orleans and the midwest.

Oh yeah... its easy to bus a crew, stage, lights and equipment all over the place... easy. Maybe you should call up Curtis Management and let them know you have it all figured out. You've cracked the code of large scale touring.
  • Ivn1322Ivn1322 Posts: 68
    kanye.jpg

PEARL JAM DOESN'T LIKE SOUTHERNERS!!!!
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    DS114969 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Oh yeah... its easy to bus a crew, stage, lights and equipment all over the place... easy. Maybe you should call up Curtis Management and let them know you have it all figured out. You've cracked the code of large scale touring.
    i think its fairly common knowledge. touring isnt brain surgery. the drug abusing, alcoholic bands i know manage it just fine.
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS114969 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Yeah, Pearl Jam is a small time operation that has a hard time transporting equiprment. :roll: Give me a break! And where's your proof that coming through Houston and/or Dallas would have been a loss for them?

So why would it be a loss to come through here (or other cities they've missed like ATL) at least once in the last 7 years again?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Flagg wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Look dude, sorry. But you have no clue what their profit and loss system is. You think you do, but you don't. A loss? Let's see some figures. Let's see them!! I am sick of people on here that think they know everything about how a band operates their finances just because they are fans.

Detour?? You realize Houston is right down the road from NO right? Going from NO to KC and St. Louis and Coumbia is a bigger detour.

Oh and another thing. Everyone ignores they fact that EVERY BAND IN THE WORLD can manage it but poor, broke, destitute Pearl Jam has to pinch pennies I guess.

Its a detour tough guy because they more than likely will not have their full crew with them in New Orleans, the multiple buses of people with the stage and lights? You know? All THAT stuff that takes time and money to move around the country? I don't have the inner workings of their finances right next to be but I have a understanding of business and profit margins, anyone with some common sense can realize they tour this way to maximize profits. They can hit 3 to 4 shows in the time it takes to drive through Texas. Besides Texas sucks bro.
  • yeah, the transportation argument doesn't really hold any water. As others have pointed out, if you look at a map of the US of A, it would barely be going out of the way to swing through Dallas or Houston. So that can't be the reason. I really think it's because Ed hates the state of Texas because he feels Satan and the parents of Satan live there.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Its a detour tough guy because they more than likely will not have their full crew with them in New Orleans, the multiple buses of people with the stage and lights? You know? All THAT stuff that takes time and money to move around the country? I don't have the inner workings of their finances right next to be but I have a understanding of business and profit margins, anyone with some common sense can realize they tour this way to maximize profits. They can hit 3 to 4 shows in the time it takes to drive through Texas. Besides Texas sucks bro.

Yep, you've got it all figured out. Why doesn't PJ just hire you? :roll:
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    SolarWorld wrote:
    [
    Its a detour tough guy because they more than likely will not have their full crew with them in New Orleans, the multiple buses of people with the stage and lights?

Okay I've got you figured out. You just like talking out of your ass. :lol: You're funny man.
    Flagg wrote:

Cause they figured it out before I did, I'm also not trying to tell them how to do their jobs like you are. Call up Curtis, tell them its so easy to play Texas. He might respond with something like, well the guys dont really like Texas and the South. So what then? You going to come on here and complain about that?
  • regardless of the reasons, its just the end of an era i think. no more big PJ tours. they arent hungry for it anymore. they are in their forties. too bad considering 90% of why i like them is for the live shows, not the newer albums.

i hope i die before i get (much) older!
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Cause they figured it out before I did, I'm also not trying to tell them how to do their jobs like you are. Call up Curtis, tell them its so easy to play Texas. He might respond with something like, well the guys dont really like Texas and the South. So what then? You going to come on here and complain about that?

I thought you said it was because they would lose money in TX and the south? Or because it was hard for them to transport their equipment so they had to bypass TX? Wait, but then you said they wouldn't have their equipment with them between NO and and midwest. :lol:
  • edited March 2010
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

i like that you stick ideas no matter how ridiculous they sound ;)
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    edited March 2010
    Flagg wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Gotta agree with you there. Houston is the fourth, largest city in the US, with one of the biggest outdoor bowls in all of the Ticketmaster/Live Nation Portfolio. There would be no loss in coming here. And they could play an outdoor show in early May, with no weather issues. The city is a 6 hour drive from New Orleans, and is physically less of a drive than heading to KC. They could easily do three nights in a row here in Houston and sell out the place all nights. There is a good economy here, and people have money to spend, there is no loss coming here. Whoever tells you otherwise is full of it.

As for saying that they won't come here because of W or because it's a red state, that really undermines the integrity of the band for me. Do they not think that they still don't have fans that agree with their opinions here? I mean, personally, Texas is the last area of the world I want to live in, but with the recent downturn of the economy I literally had nowhere else in North America to move if I wanted to continue to have a secure job.... should I be punished for that??? And it's not even that bad for me, I've only lived here since 2007 and I can afford to spend some money to go other places to see PJ play, but what about their fans around here that can't??? How is that fair to them.

I gotta say, I still love PJ, and I will be flying to Boston to catch their shows and the Hartford show, and if I hear any complaints from any locals (like I did when I went to MSG in 08) about how much it sucks trying to go see PJ in their home town cause it's so difficult to get tickets cause of all the tourists taking vacations to go see the Jam, well I seriously might lean off and belt you in the face. But hopefully I'll be in a better mood about it by then, and just go pound another beer instead.

I'm sorry, but I can't defend the band in for not coming to Texas to play real PJ shows. It's ridiculous that they screw fans down here like that... and this coming from a Canadian....

Just my 2 cents.... If Tool can come through and make a profitable tour in the south, there is absolutely no reason PJ can't.

shep
    Post edited by shep on
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    DS114969 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

I thought you said it was because they would lose money in TX and the south? Or because it was hard for them to transport their equipment so they had to bypass TX? Wait, but then you said they wouldn't have their equipment with them between NO and and midwest. :lol:

Its all reasons NOT to play Texas bro, how many of them do you need to realize they dont like your state. Otherwise they would find a way to play there.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

i like that you stick ideas no matter how ridiculous they sound ;)

+1
    Austin, TX
    SolarWorld wrote:
    [
    Its all reasons NOT to play Texas bro, how many of them do you need to realize they dont like your state. Otherwise they would find a way to play there.

How can they all be reasons if some contradict eachother or don't make sense "bro"?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    After reading everyone's perception as to why they don't play Texas the only conclussion i can come up with is they must really not like Texas ...why else then
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    SolarWorld wrote:

did some one leave a flaming pile of poo on your front porch last night? You sound like a real winner in this thread :thumbup:
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    They will hit Austin again (probably Stubbs or maybe Antone's) in about 20 years for a reunion tour. I can wait.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    Listen to the ACL boot and tell me they hate TX. They praised the city multiple times.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    its all about the $$$ people face it, pearl jam will make way more money up north, I even remember Mike saying in an interview a couple of years back, that they don't sell well in the south. Came right out of the mans mouth, do you guys need more proof? Pearl Jam only tours where they will make big money.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08