No Texas shows again, why?!!!

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Well good thing I didn't get too excited today. Bummer on the dates, but at least I can save my money that I don't really have to spend on shows anyway right now. Sucks so bad. Hopefully I'll have a better job soon, so I can travel to somewhere I have never been and see the band play.

I'm not gonna bitch, everyone here has pretty much covered my thoughts on the matter.

I just don't understand why every other band plays here almost every tour, / every year/and we don't get even one show for like a stint of 6 or 7 years.

It sucks, and I'm bummed out, but oh well. I give up.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • KG1450KG1450 Posts: 11
    ummmmm, its not about the money, I have been to all the TX shows on the last tours, and they have all been sellouts... Dallas, Houston, and for all you tx bashers San Antonio is in texas as well... Not sure why they don't tour here, but I am sure it's not because of the various Bushes... Eddie actually lived here at one point, and he still has family here(or at least as of 2003)....I guess we are kind of a island in the middle of the southern border, not much around here to make it worthwhile for them to come thru...As for the rest of you folks who like to talk shit about texas, I can understand how you are pissy about our great schools, housing, health care, medical centers, and music scene(SXSW & ACL), so I apologize.. I am glad I am going to take my great education and economic well being and bounce around the NE this may and see a bunch of shows!!! Kiss My Texas ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    I doubt mike was talking about massive cities like Houston, Dallas and Atl. He was probably referring to places like Birmingham and smaller cities like that. I have a hard time believeing KC will be more profitable than Houston or Dallas.

Is anything about this band the same as it was 7 or 8 years ago? I never would have guessed we would have to have this argument.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Like I said in another post last night, I heard from someone that Ed is playing an acoustic solo show at sxsw. And it comes from people who work at the bar of said show. It is possible considering people do surprise stuff at sx all the time unannounced
    Walking is still honest
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited March 2010
    *Sigh*

OK, I got it out my system. This happens every tour. Its like the denial then anger then acceptance routine. Now trying to make plans to figure out where to go.

Look, people that live in places where PJ plays all the time do not need to come on here and give us shit about it. If I want to bitch about the band and their touring habits, then I have that right due to the fan club fee I pay every year. What I don't understand is why people have to get on here and shit all over us because of where we live. You think Texas sucks? What do you know about it? Your opinion and I don't really give a shit about it. What the fuck ever, I am over it now.

Now, on to the shows.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • well i went from dissappointment to anger to just not giving a fuck about em. 90% of my love for PJ is the live shows, and since it looks like the days of real US tours are behind us, i guess its just time to move on. those Greatful Dead style mega tours just never materialised hahah. stupid families and kids.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I didn't mean just TX, I meant the south in general. I would be happy if the band played one show in every major southern state, I'm not asking for 20 shows down here, they need their rest, they need to be at their best when they play the garden for the millionth time
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Look Texas, just face it... he just isn't that into you anymore like he once was... yes, I know he should have talked to you about it and told you how he feels, but, well you know - duh, he is a guy... time to move on, find a new band... there are plenty of other fish in the sea... I hear creed and nickelback are single - they're nice boys, why don't you try them... don't worry, you'll love again... it'll be ok and you'll be better for the experience... remember it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all... :mrgreen:

...sorry couldn't resist. ;)

I must admit, I probably get to see Pearl Jam more in my home venue here in Australia than Texans do. But Pearl Jam have also shown they will listen to fans. The 98 Perth Tour Petition was my experience of this. We'd been left off the Aussie tour. A few months out, Brad played in Perth and a petition which contained 10 or 15 thousand signatures was handed to Stone. A few weeks later two Perth shows were added to the Aussie tour. They were they were especially good shows. Yeild Tour - c'mon!!!

Anyway, my advice is to get active away from the 10c forum. Start an old fashioned petition, get it signed but as many people as you can. Forget an online petition - do a real one, something that impresses the band, shows real support because people bothered to put pen to paper, someone got active to get it happening. Visit the colleges, the record stores, the local live music venues - other concerts.

There are already rumours or at least speculation/chatter of a Fall US tour - probably a better time to tour the south anyway. Get a real petition to the band that in the event of a fall tour they come your way, that will do a hell of a lot more good that anything else.

Good luck guys. Hope you get your shows.
  • Ivn1322 wrote:
    I know they played ACL but before that they hadn't been in TX since '03. What gives??? :(
    I'm so bummed out right now....

Pearl Jam is against the idea of marrying relatives.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    edited March 2010
    To say it's about the money is ridiculous.

They're playing KC, St. Louis, Buffalo, Colombus, Bristol and they played SLC last fall. Not exactly Major Markets.

I for one am happy that the midwest gets some shows. It's been longer for them than it has been for Texas.

We all know they announce shows in clumps. I mean they didn't play Seattle proper in about that long except for a couple of impossible shows like Showbox and Benaroya.

Sucks for my Texas friends but it is what it is.
    Post edited by South of Seattle on
    NERDS!

They're playing KC, St. Louis, Buffalo, Colombus, Bristol and they played SLC last fall.

We all know they announce shows in clumps. I mean they didn't play Seattle proper in about that long except for a couple of impossible shows like Showbox and Benaroya.

I agree but what is it? Why don't they come out and tell us why?
    Like I said in another post last night, I heard from someone that Ed is playing an acoustic solo show at sxsw. And it comes from people who work at the bar of said show. It is possible considering people do surprise stuff at sx all the time unannounced

i've never seen a big sx surprise guest remain a surprise for long so we'll see. i can't see why he would though. he didn't even show up for the body of war thing a couple years back.
  • ComeToTX wrote:

They're playing KC, St. Louis, Buffalo, Colombus, Bristol and they played SLC last fall.

Who knows? But you'd think this would be a perfect time to pop down for a few shows while they're in the area.
    NERDS!
  • Ivn1322 wrote:
    I know they played ACL but before that they hadn't been in TX since '03. What gives??? :(

heyoooo. Do you feel better about yourself now? Good for you.
    Bonnaroo '08
    ComeToTX wrote:

Who knows? But you'd think this would be a perfect time to pop down for a few shows while they're in the area.

i've been to nashville, la, philly and vegas to see these guys. it's not worth the $$$$ and vacation time anymore. plus i've been to all these cities and there's only a few i would go back to.
  • don't take it personally, it's not YOUR fault that texas sucks. :)

just kidding, don't get all pissy.
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

i've been to nashville, la, philly and vegas to see these guys. it's not worth the $$$$ and vacation time anymore. plus i've been to all these cities and there's only a few i would go back to.

I hear ya. I've seen 3 hometown shows in 20 years.
    NERDS!
  • who wants to play in texas?

what's your beef with Texas and the Midwest? Too cool for school living out west?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • maki_jmaki_j Posts: 70
    I am sitting here in Austin right now, where I've been for the past 8 years. Easily one of the best cities in the US... Anyone there talking crap about Texas can suck it. 8-)

Back to the topic... Yes, PJ are seriously pissing some folks off down here. It makes no sense!
  • To say it's about the money is ridiculous.

Ridiculous?

Stone Gossard in an interview with danish Gaffa.dk about the european tour.

"It was the dates that gave the most money, and it was what could best be done. We should also pay bills at home."
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • To say it's about the money is ridiculous.

Ridiculous?

"It was the dates that gave the most money, and it was what could best be done. We should also pay bills at home."
    Then why are they playing all of these relatively small markets and cities?
    NERDS!
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020

Ridiculous?

Then why are they playing all of these relatively small markets and cities?

Maybe some of the midwest places (KC, StL, Indy, Cleveland, C-bus) are cheaper to book, and they know they can sell it out. I have no idea really, just a thought.
  • Salt Lake didn't sell out last year and that had a lot of people from the Vegas, Denver, Wyoming markets at that show as well.

I just think the reason Texas didn't get a show was because they played 2 shows in Austin last summer and the other cities in the Midwest have had any shows in quite a while.

I think if they're doing a cash grab on any of the dates it's the Northeast ones. That's where the $$$ is going to be made to recoup any losses they incur in the midwest. My 2 cents.
    NERDS!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    MrSmith wrote:
    well i went from dissappointment to anger to just not giving a fuck about em. 90% of my love for PJ is the live shows, and since it looks like the days of real US tours are behind us, i guess its just time to move on. those Greatful Dead style mega tours just never materialised hahah. stupid families and kids.

Ok, i'm gonna laugh my ass off when they come through Texas later this year. LEt's just face it -- it's easier to tour the NE. Close cities in close proximity... That's IT. just be patient and love the band for their music. And if us folks in the south, ie Texas, Florida, or Ala-fuckin-bama are lucky enough to get a show soon, well cheers to that. There are a lot fo huge fans that are much worse off.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • maki_j wrote:
    I am sitting here in Austin right now, where I've been for the past 8 years. Easily one of the best cities in the US... Anyone there talking crap about Texas can suck it. 8-)

Back to the topic... Yes, PJ are seriously pissing some folks off down here. It makes no sense!

Ha! +1
    Austin, TX
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    Ivn1322 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Austin got two shows? No, we got a festival and a TV taping that was impossible to get into.
  • zdogbonezdogbone Posts: 117
    Flagg wrote:
    Shawshank wrote:
    I don't know if it's political or not, but the one city in Texas that they have played is Austin, and that's probably the only even remotely liberal area in the state. Could be?

I've wondered that, but I just can't even fathom that to be the case. If it were, then I'd have to say fuck 'em.

Me too.

But it isn't the case and people just don't want to understand that. Since 2003 they have been back to the place that booed the shit out of them (Denver), the swing states that won the election for Bush twice (Ohio and Florida), South Carolina (about as red state as you can get), Salt Lake City (sorry SC, THIS is as red state as you can get) and on and on. But whatever.

Oh, and Dallas and Houston are both Democratic. But do you honestly sit there and think they have a little map with red and blue areas and that's how they plan it out??

If they won't play an entire state with the largest cities in the country because of one insignificant human being that lives in one city then doesn't that kind of make them pussies?

I'm thinking of driving up to KC, hitting that one and then the 20th anniversary show and that's probably it.
    Its a little ridiculous how quickly this thread can get nasty. But whatevs, hey Flagg, can you swing by and pick me up on your way to KC. I'll be standing outside the "DeathStar".
    Three crooked hearts and swirls all around... I miss you all day
  • MrSmith wrote:
    well i went from dissappointment to anger to just not giving a fuck about em. 90% of my love for PJ is the live shows, and since it looks like the days of real US tours are behind us, i guess its just time to move on. those Greatful Dead style mega tours just never materialised hahah. stupid families and kids.

Ok, i'm gonna laugh my ass off when they come through Texas later this year. LEt's just face it -- it's easier to tour the NE. Close cities in close proximity... That's IT. just be patient and love the band for their music. And if us folks in the south, ie Texas, Florida, or Ala-fuckin-bama are lucky enough to get a show soon, well cheers to that. There are a lot fo huge fans that are much worse off.
    I bet you 500$ PJ will not play Texas this year. or Florida, or Alafuckinbama. i like them for their live shows, and they dont do live shows on a large enough scale anymore to matter. they've already said these little mini-tours in major cities are what they are gonna do from here on out. tons of bands profit touring all over America, but PJ decided they want more profits and less time on the road. they arent a hungry rock band anymore.
  • Same shit different day. It's getting really old. ACL doesn't count for those that think it does.. and in between 4 LA shows?! That was a joke. It's starting to piss me off. If you were at ACL you heard the crowd's reaction when Eddie mentioned they hadn't played Austin in 15 years. I can only imagine the day, I can only hope and pray, they come back to TX to play a real show and see what kind of reaction they will get.