Runners!

1235»

Comments

• theoceansmademetheoceansmademe Posts: 1,132
    I had planned to do one of two triathlons this weekend but weather concerns/flooding may keep me from doing one of them. One of them is a very short sprint tri in Carbondale, Illinois on Saturday. It is an open water swim in Campus Lake (385 yards) so it is usually very cold. The bike is only 5 miles and the run 2 miles. But if the air temp is warm I don't mind swimming in the cold as much. But it is soooooo hard to get in that cold, cold water. The other one is in Cape Girardeau, Missouri on Sunday, but the swim is in a pool (450 meters), 15 mile bike and a 5 mile run which benefits me since I am a better runner than swimmer or cyclist. However, it will be raining on Sunday morning and I hate riding in the rain. And since the Mississippi and tributaries are flooded I am wondering if any of the bike/run course may be affected. Anyway, I may talk myself out of both of them.

I am confirmed to run the Pikes Peak Ascent in August (Half Marathon up Barr Trail, Pike's Peak). My focus this spring and summer will be on running hills and trail running to try to get in good enough shape to finish in the cut-off time. It is recommended that one follow a marathon training plan if you don't live at altitude or near mountains. So that is what I have started.

Good luck with Pikes. Trail running is the best.

I did some running while visting family in Breckenridge, CO. My advice is make sure you train in the hills as much as you can.

While the elevation can't be duplicated in the lower parts of the states, down hill running can. Excessive or even running downhill during a race without the proper training can lead to ITB pain and injury.

So get your hill work in before the race and enjoy. The culture of trail racing surpasses any experience you will get from a road race or road triathlon.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Anyone have any advice for shin splints?

I've rested, iced and stretched. I also just got some compression sleeves to see if that helps any

They are getting better but I'm getting frustrated especially since I'm supposed to start my 1/2 marathon training plan this week :x
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    peacegirl wrote:

I've rested, iced and stretched. I also just got some compression sleeves to see if that helps any

They are getting better but I'm getting frustrated especially since I'm supposed to start my 1/2 marathon training plan this week :x

Good luck with those! What are you running in? I used to have occasional problems with them until I switched to Asics. All that gel and support has made a huge difference.

I also find jogging in the pool for a few laps after a run helps keep many of my problems away.
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    peacegirl wrote:

Good luck with those! What are you running in? I used to have occasional problems with them until I switched to Asics. All that gel and support has made a huge difference.

I also find jogging in the pool for a few laps after a run helps keep many of my problems away.

I used to run in Asics but now I run in Mizunos. My current pair have about 300 miles on them so I might try switching them out to a newer pair to see if that makes any difference

I would love to get in a pool after runs but don't have access to one around here
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    peacegirl wrote:

Years ago I would only run on hard surfaces such as concrete and asphalt and I would get shin splints quite frequently. The only thing that would help was rest. I also tried ace bandages and compression sleeves but can't say that it made much difference. Then I made an effort to change my running technique to a forefoot land, without the heel ever touching the ground. It took me a few months to get used to it and for it to feel like a natural movement. I also stopped running on hard surfaces. Now I do about 30% treadmill, 60% trail running and I also incorporate sand/beach running to strengthen my ankles. I never suffer from shin splints anymore.
    I also think that if you over pronate, you are more likely to get splints, so make sure you have the correct shoe and insoles.
    Good luck with the 1/2 marathon! :)
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    just signed up for my first marathon!!!

last night I did 4 miles, 30 minutes flat.

tomorrow night is my "long run" for the week; seven miles... step up to nine miles next week which will be the longest I've ever run continuously. In five weeks I will be up to 15 miles! (yikes!)

my biggest problem is lower back stiffness... I stretch a lot, bought new shoes, etc but can't rid myself of it. Any suggestions?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    just signed up for my first marathon!!!

last night I did 4 miles, 30 minutes flat.

tomorrow night is my "long run" for the week; seven miles... step up to nine miles next week which will be the longest I've ever run continuously. In five weeks I will be up to 15 miles! (yikes!)

my biggest problem is lower back stiffness... I stretch a lot, bought new shoes, etc but can't rid myself of it. Any suggestions?

I've never had any back problems from running but good luck with the marathon!
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Wow you all have come a long way since the first "Post your daily workout" thread years ago...nice work everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started Hal Higdon's 5k training program for beginners a couple weeks ago. Good Lord.

2.5 miles today at a snail's pace. Indoor track.
    I love to turn you on
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I had some back pain when I first started. Realized that when I run, I unconciously tense my arms and shoulders to maintain a straight posture. Since them, I've adopted 'jelly arms'. Just let them move with my body and running pace, instead of tensing them up. That worked for me, but I may recommend getting your stride analyzed... A couple local running stores provide this for free where I am, and it may help you diagnose the pain, whether its related to posture, shoes, stride, etc. Good luck!
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    Indoor track.

I'm jealous - I wish I had an indoor track to go to!
  • neutron baumneutron baum Posts: 294
    I'm an avid runner. When I run, I always set my ipod to a diferent PJ album and listen to it the whole way through. I can run about 4-6 miles on one album, it makes running so much fun!
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    I'm an avid runner. When I run, I always set my ipod to a diferent PJ album and listen to it the whole way through. I can run about 4-6 miles on one album, it makes running so much fun!

best PJ "running album?" I like Binaural. That and my running mix, which is lots of up-tempo stuff mainly from 91 - 98.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,681
    As someone who lives and works in the "running capitol of America" and also runs 50-60 miles per week I am sure I could come up with some good info for you so I hope this helps....

Shin splints are considered a cumulative stress disorder rather than an acute injury. Shin Splints occur when the constant pounding and stresses placed on the bones, muscles and joints overwhelm the your body's natural ability to repair the damage and heal by itself.

The basic causes of the pain of shin splints can be divided into two areas: muscle and bone. The muscles that connect to the ankle are covered by a fascia. This is a fascia that holds the muscles together, and it is tough and inelastic. When the muscles naturally expand as a result of exertion, the resulting pressure causes the pain. This is the kind of shin splints, known as exertional compartment syndrome, often seen in athletes who play field sports like soccer or run a lot on hard surfaces.

The second major source of shin splint pain stems from the bones and ranges from stress reactions to full-blown fractures. The constant pounding the skeleton endures during running, for example, can cause many microscopic cracks to appear on the bones of the leg. Normally, with rest, the body easily repairs these cracks. Over time, however, these tiny cracks can evolve into a complete stress fracture, or even a complete fracture.

Shin splints are mostly seen in athletes, military recruits and also weekend warriors, especially at the beginning of the season. Treating them can be as simple as adding extra arch support to shoes to redistribute the stresses or changing to softer running surfaces. Doctors also recommend active rest, which means that a runner, for instance, should take up swimming or biking for a while, which gives the affected areas time to heal but maintains the cardiovascular benefits of exercise.

Definitely running on softer surfaces will help. Getting your gait checked at a proper running store such as Fleet Feet will help.

Personally, I run a mix of pavement, trail, grass as I run in my regular Asics Kayanos, Merrel trail Gloves (minimalist running shoes) and my Vibram 5-Finger Bikilas. I almost never run indoors as I have the gear to train through just about any weather or temperature situation. Try to mix things up but if you are training for a road marathon you will need to try and get 1 or 2 long runs in on pavement.

Have fun and enjjoy!!
    ^^^
    I took 2 weeks off from running and last week I had an appointment with an orthopedic dr. I was beginning to suspect a stress fracture but they didn't see anything on the x-rays. And since it had been 3-4 weeks since the pain started if I had a stress fracture it probably would have shown up by then - when I had stress fractures in my feet I learned that they don't usually show up until 3-4 weeks

So they scheduled me to come back in 4 weeks and I am to run in the meantime. I've started back up with 10 minutes, then 15, back to 10 and yesterday I ran 20. So far so good :)

I've switched out my shoes to newer ones and I'm going to try to really vary my running surfaces...roads, track, treadmill, trail/grass

I had my gait checked in January (I over pronate) so I have the right shoes and I also have insoles which I got after I got tendonitis in the middle of marathon training

I want to try running in lighter/more minimal shoes to strengthen my feet but I've got to get 100% before I try that!
  • theoceansmademetheoceansmademe Posts: 1,132
    peacegirl, with any running injury you really need to rest a long time.

I was/am an avid runner. Nothing compares to the feeling I get after a run, that is exercise related of course.

I have face 2 major injuries over the past 7 years. The prior 18 or so years of regular running I never have an issue.

I have run 5k, 10k, 15k, marathons and ultra marathons. On trails and roads. What I discovered that that trail running is much more forgiving on the body. I had less pain after running 50 miles on trails than I do after doing 10 on the road. So like others have posted surface in very important. If you have to run on the road avoid concrete at all cost, asphalt is bad but not as damaging as concrete.

About 5 years ago during the height of my milage I suffered a lower back injury. Long story but it took me 18 months before I could run again. I thought I never would.

During this time I read Born to Run and began the barefoot transition. Everything was going great until I ran a 5K. At the end of the race I pushed to hard and my stride was wrong, I was heal striking as if I had shoes on and my achilles was toasted.

I then had to give up running for 12 months.

At this point in time I am finally healthy and able to run again. I have realized that running for 25+ years in running shoes has made me a shoe runner. I would love to run barefoot for I believe it is better for the body but at my age I don't think the transition can be made.

So be wise in your shoe selection, take it slow when returning to running.

Good luck
  • neutron baumneutron baum Posts: 294

best PJ "running album?" I like Binaural. That and my running mix, which is lots of up-tempo stuff mainly from 91 - 98.

Actually Backspacer is my favorite running album, I kick it in turbo when Johnny Guitar comes on!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,681
    Here is where I run/train 2-3 times a week......

Running_Red_Rocks.jpg
    red-rocks-amphitheatre.jpg

It's good to mix up your runs and Red Rocks affords that sort of opportunity as I can run pavement, trails, wooden bleachers and cement stairs