Runners!

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    you can tackle a half fairly easily with a little more training.

A full marathon is a whole different animal though physically and mentally
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    you can tackle a half fairly easily with a little more training.

A full marathon is a whole different animal though physically and mentally

I only have 2/3 days per week that I can run. I lift weights five times per week for 1 hour during my lunch break and I run on Mondays and Thursdays usually, otherwise I have my son most other nights.

Maybe if I worked my way up the ladder using this schedule?:

Week 1
    Monday: 5 miles
    Thursday: 7 miles

Week 2
    Monday: 5 miles
    Thursday: 8 miles

Week 3
    Monday: 6 miles
    Thursday: 9 miles

Week 4
    Monday: 7 miles
    Thursday: 10 miles

Week 5
    Monday: 8 miles
    Thursday: 13 miles

Week 6
    Monday: 10 miles
    Thursday: 15 miles

Week 7
    Monday: 10 miles
    Thursday: 18 miles

Week 8
    Monday: 13 miles
    Thursday: 22 miles

Week 9
    Monday: 13 miles
    Thursday: 26.2 miles
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Google Marathon training plans for a good basic plan. Then tweek it to meet your schedule.

I would not go from running 7 miles to attempting a marathon. I would start out doing some 10ks, 15ks and 10 milers. Then go for a half and work up from there. If you do too much too soon you increase your risk for injury.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    imalive wrote:
    the doc who "fixed" my meniscus says I'll never run again. :problem:

Sorry to hear that. Did you get a 2nd opinion from a sports doctor by chance?
    no 2nd opinion but my physical therapist said I could run.....if I wanted to trash my knee again :roll: I'm basically bone on bone with half a meniscus. I'm doing a lot of stationary biking....I guess it is possible to regenerate cartilage.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Google Marathon training plans for a good basic plan. Then tweek it to meet your schedule.

I would not go from running 7 miles to attempting a marathon. I would start out doing some 10ks, 15ks and 10 milers. Then go for a half and work up from there. If you do too much too soon you increase your risk for injury.

yeah, I think I should just forget about it! I have a nice "situation" goin and running long distances would deflate some of my muscle. :D

I will try one of those warrior obstacle courses this year though. And I might just go out and run a half marathon! Screw it... if I can run 7 miles without problems then what is another 6.1???
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    the doc who "fixed" my meniscus says I'll never run again. :problem:

Sorry to hear that. Did you get a 2nd opinion from a sports doctor by chance?
    no 2nd opinion but my physical therapist said I could run.....if I wanted to trash my knee again :roll: I'm basically bone on bone with half a meniscus. I'm doing a lot of stationary biking....I guess it is possible to regenerate cartilage.

I don't have knee problems so I'm not well informed on this issue, but I know a couple of people who have had knee problems and something was put in their knee from a cadaver. It's been a while, but I was thinking it had something to do with the bone on bone issue. I think it is a fairly common procedure now - taking something from a cadaver for knee problems - but I don't know if it is for your type of knee problem.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I just signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon. I don't run much even though I think about it every day.

I am a big believer in Put One Foot In Front of the Other, and Soon You'll be Walking Out the Door. I've read many books on running, and I expect to go at this methodically and logically. I've signed up for many races that I never ran so I'm not wedded to the idea of a race. I know life goes on. However, this has been a great year for lifestyle changes, and I think I'm in a good place to try it.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I just signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon. I don't run much even though I think about it every day.

I am a big believer in Put One Foot In Front of the Other, and Soon You'll be Walking Out the Door. I've read many books on running, and I expect to go at this methodically and logically. I've signed up for many races that I never ran so I'm not wedded to the idea of a race. I know life goes on. However, this has been a great year for lifestyle changes, and I think I'm in a good place to try it.

this is your best chance:
    http://www.amazon.com/Non-Runners-Marat ... 1570281823

this is a written version of a course at (Iowa State?). They have had over 200 people, most of whom have never run before take this class. They give them this same program as well as prep the mind. They have had all but 1 person (who I think was dumb and dehydrated) finish their first marathon.

It is a good read and will get you through if you are serious. It will prep your body and mind.
  • anyone else run/workout 5+ times a week AND smoke?

What is wrong with me??? :lol:
    anyone else run/workout 5+ times a week AND smoke?

I have to say.... I don't know a single runner that smokes.... and I know a lot of runners. : )
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389

If you can be that dedicated to workout, can't you be that dedicated to quit smoking?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • loadedgun wrote:

If you can be that dedicated to workout, can't you be that dedicated to quit smoking?

it doesn't bother me as far as I can tell. I only smoke maybe 1 - 1.5 packs per week but generally I have a few every night. Sometimes I'll have one right after a workout!
    I hosted a coffee tasting of 3 local DC roasters at work, and other people contributed to the festivities. One person brought in Krispy Kreme doughnuts. On the day I registered for my first marathon I ate quite a few of the little luscious goodies. :lol:

Eating like an amazon starts tomorrow. Tonight is fat tuesday in my world.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • This is awesome - good luck
    I'm considering running my 2nd marathon this year
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

• peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Registration for my 2nd Marathon is in the mail!

I am by no means fast but somehow have the endurance for distance
    Training for my first marathon in October is under way. Focusing on acclimating to outdoor running and running around Washington DC. I will focus on mileage more in the coming months.
    peacegirl wrote:
    Registration for my 2nd Marathon is in the mail!

I am by no means fast but somehow have the endurance for distance

Awesome. Have fun and keep us updated on the training.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Training for my first marathon in October is under way. Focusing on acclimating to outdoor running and running around Washington DC. I will focus on mileage more in the coming months.

Good luck with the training. Just stick with a schedule and you won't have any problems.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    My running days are over but I have a lovely box full of marathon and half marathon medals.

We'll be marshalling for the local half marathon this Sunday. It's great fun after the elite runners have gone through having a bit of verbal with the runners. The elite runners are very quiet and serious.
    nuffingman wrote:
    My running days are over but I have a lovely box full of marathon and half marathon medals.

We'll be marshalling for the local half marathon this Sunday. It's great fun after the elite runners have gone through having a bit of verbal with the runners. The elite runners are very quiet and serious.

The elites are very serious, but then again I guess it is a job to them. For the rest of us it is our weekend fun time. Very good of you to help out at the races. I always appreciate the volunteers. Congrats on your box of medals. It's always fun to look back and remember the different events, isn't it?
    Ran my first half marathon of 2011 last Saturday at the Tom King 1/2 Marathon in Nashville. The finish was inside Titan Stadium (LP Field). I was 5th out of 40 in my age group, so I was pretty happy. It wasn't close to my PR but it was the first one I had done since February 2008 so didn't expect a PR.

I also registered for the Pike's Peak Ascent in August. It is a bucket list item. My qualifications haven't been confirmed yet, but if the link I provided works I should be. I'm just waiting for the confirmation. Hopefully I will be confirmed. Then all I have to do is worry about training! How does one that lives 350 feet above sea level train for a high altitude run up a mountain? I may not be able to finish by the cut-off time but I am going to give it my best shot!
    Ran my first half marathon of 2011 last Saturday at the Tom King 1/2 Marathon in Nashville. The finish was inside Titan Stadium (LP Field). I was 5th out of 40 in my age group, so I was pretty happy. It wasn't close to my PR but it was the first one I had done since February 2008 so didn't expect a PR.

I also registered for the Pike's Peak Ascent in August. It is a bucket list item. My qualifications haven't been confirmed yet, but if the link I provided works I should be. I'm just waiting for the confirmation. Hopefully I will be confirmed. Then all I have to do is worry about training! How does one that lives 350 feet above sea level train for a high altitude run up a mountain? I may not be able to finish by the cut-off time but I am going to give it my best shot!

I hope you get confirmed and good luck - that looks intense!
  • I've been an avid, almost daily, runner for two years, and I absolutely love it.

Then came the random breathing problems that cut my runs in half. I was diagnosed with asthma, exercise induced asthma, allergy induced asthma, and sinusitis. But I had never had asthma before and the inhalers/medicine only made things worse.

I'm off all medication now and feel a lot better than when I was on it. I suppose I will always have to deal with it, but I am not willing to give up running. :D
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
    20 miles today in about 3hrs 33mins. only about 40 seconds slower than my goal pace for the marathon
    took an ice bath after - man they are brutal but they work!
    Good luck to everyone running Boston today - especially my friend!
    Super excited to run the Broad Street 10 miler in Philly Sunday!
    peacegirl wrote:
    Super excited to run the Broad Street 10 miler in Philly Sunday!

Good luck and have fun. I hope the weather will be good there.
    I've been an avid, almost daily, runner for two years, and I absolutely love it.

Then came the random breathing problems that cut my runs in half. I was diagnosed with asthma, exercise induced asthma, allergy induced asthma, and sinusitis. But I had never had asthma before and the inhalers/medicine only made things worse.

I'm off all medication now and feel a lot better than when I was on it. I suppose I will always have to deal with it, but I am not willing to give up running. :D

Sorry about that. I had asthma as a child but gradually improved to the point that I rarely had to use an inhaler. Now that I am getting old the asthma seems to have returned and I have to use the inhaler before a run. But I am not going to give up running unless it gets a lot worse.
    I had planned to do one of two triathlons this weekend but weather concerns/flooding may keep me from doing one of them. One of them is a very short sprint tri in Carbondale, Illinois on Saturday. It is an open water swim in Campus Lake (385 yards) so it is usually very cold. The bike is only 5 miles and the run 2 miles. But if the air temp is warm I don't mind swimming in the cold as much. But it is soooooo hard to get in that cold, cold water. The other one is in Cape Girardeau, Missouri on Sunday, but the swim is in a pool (450 meters), 15 mile bike and a 5 mile run which benefits me since I am a better runner than swimmer or cyclist. However, it will be raining on Sunday morning and I hate riding in the rain. And since the Mississippi and tributaries are flooded I am wondering if any of the bike/run course may be affected. Anyway, I may talk myself out of both of them.

I am confirmed to run the Pikes Peak Ascent in August (Half Marathon up Barr Trail, Pike's Peak). My focus this spring and summer will be on running hills and trail running to try to get in good enough shape to finish in the cut-off time. It is recommended that one follow a marathon training plan if you don't live at altitude or near mountains. So that is what I have started.
    My first 5k in 7 years tomorrow. I'm not at a comfortable pace/result, but it's all about the t-shirt :D