Runners!

Comments

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Ever since I've moved, I haven't found the time to really motivate myself to go running, but with the help of the Nike+ motivating me (just got the IPhone 3GS) I had my first run in over four months. Wow, do I have a long way to go before I'm back into running shape. Felt good though.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    Nike+ is very good. I used it for a few years... but this year I graduated to a nice Garmin.

Ran 9 this morning. It was rough. I was half sleeping I guess and I wore sandpaper-like socks and underwears that ride up and now I am walking like Yosemite Sam. Got through it though and Im ready for next week's Broad Street 10-miler.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Nike+ is very good. I used it for a few years... but this year I graduated to a nice Garmin.

Ran 9 this morning. It was rough. I was half sleeping I guess and I wore sandpaper-like socks and underwears that ride up and now I am walking like Yosemite Sam. Got through it though and Im ready for next week's Broad Street 10-miler.
    What's the secret to keeping your knee joints from becoming inflamed???

This happens to me if I run for more than an hour, and is very painful for a few weeks following. I drink tons of water, eat healthy, am in good shape. If it weren't for my joints, I could run forever.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Gob wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

This happens to me if I run for more than an hour, and is very painful for a few weeks following. I drink tons of water, eat healthy, am in good shape. If it weren't for my joints, I could run forever.

I understand - I have problems with my knees too. I have no idea why. I'm healthy, take care of myself and yet my knees hurt once in awhile. I hate to say this - could it be ARTHRITIS !!!! Yikes !!!! ;)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    mikalina wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I understand - I have problems with my knees too. I have no idea why. I'm healthy, take care of myself and yet my knees hurt once in awhile. I hate to say this - could it be ARTHRITIS !!!! Yikes !!!! ;)
    I've read humans are not designed to run more than 25 minutes, 3 times a week max. Our joints can't repair themselves fast enough to keep up with the stress. I just don't get how some people do it and not have a problem.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I've read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and it could be we are meant to run long distances. Some theorists contend that the vast majority of injuries are due to running form. Read the Christopher McDougall book, and ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer. It may inspire you to figure out a different running form which may result in fewer injuries.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    peacegirl wrote:
    I'm doing a 5K tomorrow morning at the local zoo and then they are having an earth day celebration

I actually convinced my mom, uncle, sister and her boyfriend to do it with me - I don't know how I pulled that off because none of them run or have any interest in running :lol::lol:

actually me and my sister's boyfriend are going to be the only ones running and the others are going to walk

Good luck!

finished in 29:30..my sisters boyfriend was a few seconds ahead of me because he wasn't going to let me finish before him :lol:

after the race they had random drawings with the race numbers...I won a Timex sport watch, my sister won a gift cert. for a free pair of New Balance running shoes, her boyfriend won a $10 gift cert. to the shoe store and my mom won a pair of running socks

the weather turned out good too because they had been calling for rain but it was sunny and about 60 degrees

so it was good day!
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I've read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and it could be we are meant to run long distances. Some theorists contend that the vast majority of injuries are due to running form. Read the Christopher McDougall book, and ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer. It may inspire you to figure out a different running form which may result in fewer injuries.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to have to look into this book. I'm starting to give up on running outside, I seem to do better on my treadmill with a ( # 3 incline ) Go figure ???
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • theoceansmademetheoceansmademe Posts: 1,132
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

Worth the bump. Anyone with knee, hip, or back pain this McDougall's book is a must read.

I now run in Vibram's and my back pain is gone.

We were built to run.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    My joints dont bug me when I run long distances. Last season I got achilles tendonitis in one of my heels and had to hand em up for a long while. A lot can be fixed with form, the right sneakers, correct training build-up, etc.

There are good running specialty stores everywhere. If you go there and speak to someone about your problems, I am sure they will give you plenty of ammo to get past the issue. Many workers in those places are very knowledgeable and will possibly fit you with adequate sneakers, prescribe insoles, critique your form, etc...

The Broad Street 10-miler was hooooootttttt. Lots of people getting attention from paramedics.
    We were built to run.

From what? Saber tooth? :lol:

I can't picture a scenario where prehistoric man needed to run more than a few hundred yards at a time.
  • theoceansmademetheoceansmademe Posts: 1,132
    We were built to run.

I can't picture a scenario where prehistoric man needed to run more than a few hundred yards at a time.

It's evolution baby!

There are tribes in African that still hunt to this day by running the animals to death.

The only way for an animal to lower it's body temperature is to stop running and pant. Tribes keep these animals on the move upwards of 30 miles, by running after them. They finally die of heat stroke.

Read the book Born to Run. Or google barefoot Ted.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    So I run about three miles every other day, and am trying to get my times down, but I'm starting to plateau. Anyone have any tips for increasing my speed and endurance?
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    We were built to run.

It's evolution baby!

There are tribes in African that still hunt to this day by running the animals to death.

The only way for an animal to lower it's body temperature is to stop running and pant. Tribes keep these animals on the move upwards of 30 miles, by running after them. They finally die of heat stroke.

Read the book Born to Run. Or google barefoot Ted.
    I guess that makes sense, but also I'm pretty sure we evolved to walk upright before we started eating meat..

Also, what animal were they hunting? I don't think they'd have much luck doing that in the midwest. Deer would be a hundred miles away before you know it.

That said, my knees no longer hurt me, but only because I've limited myself to 2 to 4 miles, 4 or 5 days a week.. no more 10 mile runs! Not worth it. I'm a fast sprinter though.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Stupid Arizona summers!!!!

Puts a real fricken damper on my whole running schedule!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258

I now run in Vibram's and my back pain is gone.

We were built to run.
    The 5-fingers? Is that what they are called? How long have you been running in them? Do you run outside or on a treadmill?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Man I miss my running days sometimes...being in shape and all. I know I felt much better in general back in those days, but things change and bad habits took over. I working on kicking the cigarettes as we speak so maybe I'll get back to it before long....only problem is my knees and ankles are a mess now mostly due to the amount of running I've done coupled with my flat feet.
    It's hard to beat the feeling you get after running 10 or so....kind of euphoric in a way.....always made me feel so good
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    It's way too hot to run.... I usually try and run for about 3 miles at 10 pm. Even then I feel the air is too thick and I can barely breathe. :(

I've given up for now.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I usually run in the evenings but this week I'm trying out getting up before work and running in the morning.
    It's not quite as hot and I'm not quite as tired...so far so good.

Only downside is that I'm now bored in the evenings so I'm taking long bike rides or lifting weights at the gym
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Up to doing about five and a half miles now!
    Hoping to be ready to do a half marathon in October. So far, so good!
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    I ran my first official 5K last saturday. I haven't been running for the past month or so and let me tell you I was exhausted. It's alot different running with a group of people all around you, it's hard to find YOUR pace. I plan on running a couple times a week again and getting my legs back
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
  • milarso wrote:
    Up to doing about five and a half miles now!
    Hoping to be ready to do a half marathon in October. So far, so good!

If you are at miles miles right now the race is in the bag.

Build slowly from here and remember race day start out slow. Best to be strong at the end. If you feel like you are going to slow at the start that is a good thing. 13.1 miles is a long way.

Good luck.

I am going to the doctors today, I fear my achilles is frayed or even a stress fracture. I haven't really run since May. It sucks.

So again add those miles gradually to avoid injuries.
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I ran 5 miles on the treadmill today, 8.5 minute-miles. Not very impressive, but it's the most I've run all summer. Too hot to run outside. I can't wait until summer is over. I tried to run outside a couple weeks ago when it slipped under 80 degrees and my face and hands got so swollen I could barely feel them!
  • I haven't been able to run in 2 weeks. Something is wrong with both my feet but one hurts more than the other.

It hurts on the top of my foot right under where my toes are and slightly hurts on the ball of my foot. I've done everything - soaking in epsom salt, ice, rest. It's not gotten worse but it's not gotten better either.

I'm going to the dr. tomorrow. Hope it's nothing serious. I'm afraid I'm going to be told I can't run again - EVER :cry:

anyone ever have a similar problem/injury?
  • I can't wait for spring so I can run outside again!

My first race for this year is in two weeks - 10miles - I'm so excited!
    peacegirl wrote:
    I can't wait for spring so I can run outside again!

My first race for this year is in two weeks - 10miles - I'm so excited!

Good luck to you !!!! :D
    there's nothing like running outside in your snow boots.... :roll:

I can't wait for warmer weather...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    the doc who "fixed" my meniscus says I'll never run again. :problem:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    imalive wrote:
    the doc who "fixed" my meniscus says I'll never run again. :problem:

Sorry to hear that. Did you get a 2nd opinion from a sports doctor by chance?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • I can run 7 miles fairly easily... average about 8 minute miles.

So... can I just go out and run a marathon? :D ...maybe I should try a half marathon first?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.