Runners!

milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
It's just starting to get warm enough in Michigan to get out and do some running!
Went two miles today. It feels so much better to run outside! I hate treadmills!!
Any other runners out there?
"The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    I pretend to run, does that count?

Nah, I'm doing the couch to 5k program in hopes of doing my first 5k in May. But man do I suck at running. Holy cats do I suck!

I gotta say, living in frosty Pittsburgh, I much prefer treadmills, at least at this time of year. Also they are sometimes easier on the knees....esp when you're hauling a lot of junk in your trunk as I am. :roll:
  • djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 228
    Ahhh yes. I'm in the LA area so I'm blessed with pretty good running weather year round, though I hate running in the heat so I have to go early or late. I did 4 miles last night, have another 4 to do tonight only faster. I'm training for my first marathon!
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    I haven't hit the road yet this year. Still too chilly for me.

I just started back on the treadmill after a 2 month hiatus. Surprisingly was able to go 3 miles without a problem. However, I think this has just proven to myself that I can be lazy for a few months and still be in shape. :?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
    loadedgun wrote:
    I haven't hit the road yet this year. Still too chilly for me.

I just started back on the treadmill after a 2 month hiatus. Surprisingly was able to go 3 miles without a problem. However, I think this has just proven to myself that I can be lazy for a few months and still be in shape. :?

Oh well aren't you lucky....jerkstore! :lol:
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I'm TOO lazy to "RUN" hahaha... :lol:
  • 4miles in Albany NY today during lunch with the dog~! Its no LA but come trail hiking snow blazing x-country skiing I try to get out there year round~! So props to all the runners~! Last year was my first Marathon in Maine Mt Desert Island Marathon.... what a great experience... sits near the Halloween shows in Philly which came weeks after my run and very sad to see no bootlegs available on-line as those were the only shows I saw in 09'
  • bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    I'm a fair weather runner. My usual tour is about 8 km long, try to do it twice a week, but have no remorse if I don't.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    You are so right, nothing beats the fresh air while I'm running, or jogging or walking. I just love it :D It's so much better than the treadmill. But, i'm on the treadmill most of the winter and I hate it- but I need to stay in shape.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Just signed meself and the wife up for the Dublin marathon in Oct...I did one on 05 and kept up the miles by doing about 6 miles every few days but am hitting 10miles regularly enough now and its keeping me ticking over.

Funny though I hated running when I was younger now I find solace in it...a break from the madness of kids :lol:
    I need a coffee!
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    mikalina wrote:
    You are so right, nothing beats the fresh air while I'm running, or jogging or walking. I just love it :D It's so much better than the treadmill. But, i'm on the treadmill most of the winter and I hate it- but I need to stay in shape.

I don't know what it is, I just can't run well on a treadmill. I think I need the air and need to see myself moving past things to keep motivated. During the winter I do my cardio on an elliptical. I don't know why that works for me, but I'm so glad to have the weather turning!
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    Reading about your running is making me want to actually work out....for once in my damn life. Thanks for the inspiration! :D
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    Well, I've done 2 marathons, and retired from that crap. I'd keep doing half marathons if I didn't hate the organizers of the Phila. Distance Run, or whatever they changed the name to. 6 miles is about my perfect distance, but there aren't many good 10K's around here for some reason. Only about a million 5K's, which are completely miserable for me.

I've done mediocre running this winter. I need at least 30 degrees if it's dry out, and some space without snow or ice on it, and that's been tough to find.

After the 2nd marathon in 2004, I phased in a lot of bike riding to save the knees. I did my first (and last I think) century last year - the crazy hilly Lance Armstrong 100 mile ride. I will probably do 60-70 again.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 228
    milarso wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

I don't know what it is, I just can't run well on a treadmill. I think I need the air and need to see myself moving past things to keep motivated. During the winter I do my cardio on an elliptical. I don't know why that works for me, but I'm so glad to have the weather turning!

I agree, treadmill running just bores me to tears. I have to get outside and do it. The fresh air and changing scenery are key for me to keep motivated. I'm moving back to Oregon where I'm from in June. I'll do a tune up half marathon in the wine country and then finish with the Portland marathon in October. After that, we'll see if I can stay motivated. I also like biking and want to do the Seattle to Portland ride with my wife next year.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    just about to go for a run, actually. that's one plus to living in TX...you can run pretty much year-round if you want.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Well, I've done 2 marathons, and retired from that crap. I'd keep doing half marathons if I didn't hate the organizers of the Phila. Distance Run, or whatever they changed the name to. 6 miles is about my perfect distance, but there aren't many good 10K's around here for some reason. Only about a million 5K's, which are completely miserable for me.

I've done mediocre running this winter. I need at least 30 degrees if it's dry out, and some space without snow or ice on it, and that's been tough to find.

After the 2nd marathon in 2004, I phased in a lot of bike riding to save the knees. I did my first (and last I think) century last year - the crazy hilly Lance Armstrong 100 mile ride. I will probably do 60-70 again.

Good for you for your marathons, but I know running is hard on the knees and body. I hate the treadmill (boring) but I noticed its easier on my body. Have fun riding on your bike and hoping the weather will warm up all ready !!! :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    mikalina wrote:

Good for you for your marathons, but I know running is hard on the knees and body. I hate the treadmill (boring) but I noticed its easier on my body. Have fun riding on your bike and hoping the weather will warm up all ready !!! :D

Yeah, training for that 2nd marathon I felt like my knees were aging extremely fast. Much better nowadays with more moderate running. I know some people can do the long distance running a lot, but it really beat me up good. Riding a bike for a long time, I feel great within a couple hours of finishing (unless I crash from riding down a hill at 40mph).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    P.S. to all of us who run, jog or walk - be safe and use the buddy system if you can. If your out there on your own make sure you can be seen by people. I know the park is great, but being female I don't think its too safe on my own. Take care everyone.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I LOVE to run...I do most of my running on the treadmill though, mostly because I don't like running outside by myself

I did my first marathon last year...so good luck to those of you in training!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I usually run about 4-5x per week (3-5mi each).

IMO, there is no drug out there that makes you feel better than that feeling after a long run.

Love it!
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I'm doing the Corktown 5k in Detroit next Sunday, so any fellow Detroiters who want to hook up for a beer after, let me know!
  • still too cold to run outside in denmark (at least too cold for my liking).
    so i am struggling to motivate myself for going to the gym. manage to do it twice a week for a 5k treadmill run.... i really do not like the treadmill or the gym.
    but hopefully the weather will improve soon and then I am back to 4 times a week running outside.. fresh air and PJ on ipod. love it.
    Don't panic. It's okay.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I was running on the treadmill religiously this winter until the platform snapped under me. Killed my whole workout routine as January is still a little too cold in Boston to be running. I instead just started taking walks. I know I am not still in shape from just walking but I am hoping that by April it will be warm enough to start back up again.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I've been running all winter. 2 to 5 miles, 4 to 6 times a week. Weather doesn't stop me unless its below 10 degrees or above 90. You get an even better workout running on snowy trails.

A good run can totally raise the spirits, especially if you've been cooped up in a cubicle all day.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I usually run outside all year long (Southern Illinois- Western Kentucky area), but I am now suffering from my 2nd stress fracture since May of 2009. I didn't run from June through August of '09. Ran again from September '09 to early December '09, and haven't ran since. It is killing me. I cycle, swim, and hike too (all of which I can do with the fracture), but running is my thing and I miss it.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    today I registered for a half marathon in April...one of my co-workers posted a flier for a charity/foundation she's involved in, so I get to help them out while doing something I love...and this recent thread inspired me go ahead with it because I was a little hesitant since there's no one I could convince to join me
  • wife and I will be doing the Flying Pig in Cincinatti next month. Yeaaah! Well, she's running and I'm going for support. :D
    ran 12.5 miles today...perfect weather for it
  • spencer958spencer958 Posts: 279
    I usually run between 3-4 miles a day on the treadmill. When it gets warm I will do some running outside though.
    I just noticed - I need new running shoes. I wore the bottom during the winter on the treadmill. Time for a new pair.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I definitely use the treadmill more than running outside. I ran yesterday and today for 3 miles each day on the treadmill. I would like to become a runner who runs outside as a matter of course, but the hills are harder for me. I'll incorporate hill training into the treadmill work out, and eventually move my running outside.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird