Runners!

Comments

• Well, I've done 2 marathons, and retired from that crap. I'd keep doing half marathons if I didn't hate the organizers of the Phila. Distance Run, or whatever they changed the name to. 6 miles is about my perfect distance, but there aren't many good 10K's around here for some reason. Only about a million 5K's, which are completely miserable for me.

I've done mediocre running this winter. I need at least 30 degrees if it's dry out, and some space without snow or ice on it, and that's been tough to find.

After the 2nd marathon in 2004, I phased in a lot of bike riding to save the knees. I did my first (and last I think) century last year - the crazy hilly Lance Armstrong 100 mile ride. I will probably do 60-70 again.

You should try longer trail runs, meaning ultras, which are distances over 26 miles. Usually 50K, 50 milers, and 100 miles.

I have run 6 or more marathons and hit the wall with running as well. My goal was to run shorter races because my times weren't improving. I met another runner who told me I should try running longer. I thought he was crazy.

But it turned out he was right. I am a slow burner. Meaning I can go at a slower pace for a really long time. 5.5 miles an hour during my two 50 mile races.

The bonus with ultras is they are trail runs. These are much easier on the body than road marathons. My experience is I can do 20 on a trail and feel the same as 10 on the road when comparing pain.

I recently read Born to Run by Chris McDougall and was turned onto Vibram 5 finger running shoes. Very cool. Google them and you will discover an new and better way of running.

Recently I have begun swimming and biking more.

But I am still a runner at heart.

Thanks for starting the post.

I have said it before all the PJ runners should pick one race to run as one. It would be great to find one in a city on a show night.

Peace.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    ran today! Kensico Dam in Westchester, NY has a nice park. Ran 5.26 miles in about 50 minutes... could have gone faster but my stomach was not agreeing with me=\

if you run and have an iphone or even a blackberry i think, check out the mapmyrun app! it uses the phones gps to track your stats...

check out my most current run~
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ny/white-plains/609126919885778445

my favorite place to run is the new "Walkway Over The Hudson" in poughkeepsie, ny.

haven't really done many events yet since i just got into shape and into running. late october of 2009 i ran my first half marathon in 1:54!

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112678&p=2641761#p2641761 story of how i lost 100lbs:)
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835

I have said it before all the PJ runners should pick one race to run as one. It would be great to find one in a city on a show night.

Peace.

awesome idea...that would be so fun!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    Running season has started for me. Cant run in the winter.

Doing the Broad Street 10-miler in May, and the Buffalo Half-Marathon on Memorial Day.

In the Fall I am planning on training for one of the Scotiabank Toronto Marathon, OBX Marathon, or the Philly Marathon/Distance Run.

I love the feeling of a good run.

I would recommend to anyone the Nike+ technology for the Ipod. Very awesome tool. I used it for a few years and it was a great tracking/motivational/social tool.
    This season I graduated to a nice Garmin GPS watch.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Not for me anymore. Did the London Marathon twice and a couple of others and about 30 half marathons. Then I completely knackered my achilles and that was that.

I was a marshall at the local half marathon yesterday and it was great fun. One of the lady runners even gave me a piece of chocolate. The running bananas were pretty good, Robin was OK but Batman was a fat twat. Lovely day.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    just ran 7 miles on the treadmill at the gym since its kinda rainy and cold out.

i was reading somewhere that in order to mimic a run outside, it is suggested to put a treadmill on a 1% grade. now if the treadmill reads XX.X, than 1.0 would be 1% right? feeling kinda dumb right now... i think i need more water~
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    Yeah, I'm a runner. I do it to alleviate the guilt over all the beer I drink. :mrgreen:

The other day, though, I totally fucked up my knee while changing my truck's oil. So bad, I went to the trauma center. Something popped, for sure. The doc (and friends) keep mentioning menisci and patellar rotation. It's a little better today but I'm kind of worried my running days might be done. That's right....this occurred while doing an oil change. :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I definitely use the treadmill more than running outside. I ran yesterday and today for 3 miles each day on the treadmill. I would like to become a runner who runs outside as a matter of course, but the hills are harder for me. I'll incorporate hill training into the treadmill work out, and eventually move my running outside.

I find running on the treadmill much easier than outside. Yes its boring, but running outside is rough on the knees and body. When the weather is warmer I'm outside more, but I tend to jog more than run. :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalina wrote:
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I definitely use the treadmill more than running outside. I ran yesterday and today for 3 miles each day on the treadmill. I would like to become a runner who runs outside as a matter of course, but the hills are harder for me. I'll incorporate hill training into the treadmill work out, and eventually move my running outside.

I find running on the treadmill much easier than outside. Yes its boring, but running outside is rough on the knees and body. When the weather is warmer I'm outside more, but I tend to jog more than run. :D

Be careful when running on treadmill. At the least make sure you put the incline on 1. This will naturally make you your calf muscles take most of the impact. Which is the job of our calf muscles. If run without an incline your very close to running downhill when compared to running in nature. Down hill running is very hard on the body and often leads to injuries.

Don't listen to those who state running is hard on the knees and body. We humans were built to run.

Also if you haven't read about barefoot running do so. One need not run totally barefoot, there are shoes like Vibram Five Fingers that protect your feet without providing arch support.

The book Born To Run by Chris McDougall is a good jumping off point as well as a website maintain by a runner known as Barefoot Ted.

If possible run on natural dirt trails as often as you can.

In order from worst to best running surfaces: Concrete, asphalt, sand, treadmill, dirt trails.
    http://barefootted.com/labels/barefoot%20shoes.html

Also if you haven't read about barefoot running do so. One need not run totally barefoot, there are shoes like Vibram Five Fingers that protect your feet without providing arch support.

The book Born To Run by Chris McDougall is a good jumping off point as well as a website maintain by a runner known as Barefoot Ted.

In order from worst to best running surfaces: Concrete, asphalt, sand, treadmill, dirt trails.

I haven't read much about barefoot running but I did recently read about those shoes in Time magazine...they seem pretty cool
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    yup. I haven't been running much this winter though. Usually I can get through the whole winter running outside occasionally and on the treadmill. This year it didn't appeal. I attempted my 8-miler the other day, but only made it 5.
    mikalina wrote:
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

Be careful when running on treadmill. At the least make sure you put the incline on 1. This will naturally make you your calf muscles take most of the impact. Which is the job of our calf muscles. If run without an incline your very close to running downhill when compared to running in nature. Down hill running is very hard on the body and often leads to injuries.

Don't listen to those who state running is hard on the knees and body. We humans were built to run.

Hi, Thanks for the info. Now I'm wondering why my knees hurt. What am I doing wrong? I do have a high arch to my foot. - Maybe thats throwing me off some how. I will look up the above info. Thanks
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    my 1/2 marathon is this Sunday - I'm so excited!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    peacegirl wrote:

Peace.

I second that! Maybe not the same race, but maybe the same day? They have virtual runs for many of the big marathons so that people can submit their times, but they don't get a bib or anything like that. Maybe the day before the PJ tour, or the day after the PJ tour. 3 or 5 miles?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    imalive wrote:
    Yeah, I'm a runner. I do it to alleviate the guilt over all the beer I drink. :mrgreen:

lol, I'm the same way. I'll probably run 6 miles on Saturday and another 6 on Sunday just to make up for Friday and Saturday nights. 8-)
    I need some good vibes sent my way - I' trying a "mini triathalon" in June;

run (2) miles

bike (10) miles

run (2) miles

I'm not so sure about those last (2) miles - I'll give it a try. :D
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    mikalina wrote:

run (2) miles

bike (10) miles

run (2) miles

good for you that's excellent! no swim though?
    jmurray wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

run (2) miles

bike (10) miles

run (2) miles

No swimming - I tried it once and nearly drowned :lol:
    mikalina wrote:
    jmurray wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

run (2) miles

bike (10) miles

run (2) miles

No swimming - I tried it once and nearly drowned :lol:

good luck...sounds like fun...I could never do a triathalon with swimming because I'm not a very good swimmer, just enough to keep from drowning!
  • A brisk 13 miles this morning! A bit windy in the DC area but just the perfect temp to keep me cool but not cold. Training for my 3rd marathon which will be in June in Anchorage Alaska.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • mikalina wrote:

run (2) miles

bike (10) miles

run (2) miles

great and good luck.

Give the Total Immersion swim series a try. There are DVD's and books. I found both at my local library.

The key to swimming is relaxing and breathing.

Like you I tried swimming laps and hated it. But then I read this book and did the warm-up exercises and now I can't get enough of it.

Completed my first triathlon last September.

1 mile lake swim
    24 mile bike
    6 mile run
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    peacegirl wrote:

Peace.

Maybe not a race, and maybe not in the same city, but how about we all post our running here on National Running Day! http://www.runningday.org/index.asp
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    peacegirl wrote:

Peace.

Maybe not a race, and maybe not in the same city, but how about we all post our running here on National Running Day! http://www.runningday.org/index.asp

sounds good..I'll do it...thanks for posting that site
    peacegirl wrote:
    my 1/2 marathon is this Sunday - I'm so excited!

so the weather was PERFECT this morning...sunny and about 60 degrees...my time was 2hrs 19 minutes 30.6 seconds...I was anticipating about 2hr 30mins so I'm very happy with that time
    I ran 10 miles yesterday, just to see if I could still do it. To my surprise, at age 31 I faired much better than the last time I did it in my mid-20s.. glad to see I'm not loosing anything yet, and perhaps have still yet to peak.

I did 10 miles in 70 minutes and was still able to sprint in the end.. When I was 25 I remember barely being able to trot along for the last few miles.
    mikalina wrote:

run (2) miles

bike (10) miles

run (2) miles

great and good luck.

Give the Total Immersion swim series a try. There are DVD's and books. I found both at my local library.

The key to swimming is relaxing and breathing.

Like you I tried swimming laps and hated it. But then I read this book and did the warm-up exercises and now I can't get enough of it.

Completed my first triathlon last September.

1 mile lake swim
    24 mile bike
    6 mile run

Thanks for the info; Congrats to you on your first triathlon. :D
    I ran 10 miles yesterday, just to see if I could still do it. To my surprise, at age 31 I faired much better than the last time I did it in my mid-20s.. glad to see I'm not loosing anything yet, and perhaps have still yet to peak.

I did 10 miles in 70 minutes and was still able to sprint in the end.. When I was 25 I remember barely being able to trot along for the last few miles.

I like to think " we get better with age " :D Way to go !!!!

I see runners in their 60's still going strong. Take care.
    I'm doing a 5K tomorrow morning at the local zoo and then they are having an earth day celebration

I actually convinced my mom, uncle, sister and her boyfriend to do it with me - I don't know how I pulled that off because none of them run or have any interest in running :lol::lol:

actually me and my sister's boyfriend are going to be the only ones running and the others are going to walk
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    peacegirl wrote:
    I'm doing a 5K tomorrow morning at the local zoo and then they are having an earth day celebration

I actually convinced my mom, uncle, sister and her boyfriend to do it with me - I don't know how I pulled that off because none of them run or have any interest in running :lol::lol:

actually me and my sister's boyfriend are going to be the only ones running and the others are going to walk

Good luck!
    mikalina wrote:

I like to think " we get better with age " :D Way to go !!!!

I see runners in their 60's still going strong. Take care.

Well, not quite.. me knees have been sore for almost 2 weeks now. I haven't been able to run more than a few miles since. :oops: ..no more 10 mile runs for me. 5 or 6 miles max from now on.