*** 2010 FIFA World Cup ***

Comments

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Lost 2 one dayers.... I am not as confident as I was about it.... Would have loved Mike Hussey in there
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Is this the de facto soccer thread now?

Pissed this Barcelona-Madrid game is only on GolTV which I don't get. Dumb.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    there are a lot of *free* streaming sites out there though...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    couldn't find a thread about the US Men's team so I figured I'd post here.

thought's on bob bradley getting the boot? he seemed to be a lightning rod for criticism in the last year or so.

I know peter klinsman (I think that's his name...the striker from Germany that was a beast when he played) was rumored to be a candidate for the job prior to the World Cup. Is he still available? who are some candidates?

I used to hate soccer, but I am starting to get into it.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    The Fixer wrote:

thought's on bob bradley getting the boot? he seemed to be a lightning rod for criticism in the last year or so.

I know peter klinsman (I think that's his name...the striker from Germany that was a beast when he played) was rumored to be a candidate for the job prior to the World Cup. Is he still available? who are some candidates?

Jurgen Klinsmen actually got the job today- should be good for the US team
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    The Fixer wrote:

Jurgen Klinsmen actually got the job today- should be good for the US team

jurgen, peter...I was close

that's good news I guess. seems like the US has lost all of the momentum they had leading up to the world cup. hopefully this gets them back on track
    The Fixer wrote:

that's good news I guess. seems like the US has lost all of the momentum they had leading up to the world cup. hopefully this gets them back on track

"Samsonite! I was way off! But I knew it started with an S though" :lol:

But he should shake things up- new ideas- hopefully get the younger players ready for the world level. Only has a little more than a week to get the US team ready for a game with Mexico.
    Great news, was hoping they would get him this time around.
    The Fixer wrote:

But he should shake things up- new ideas- hopefully get the younger players ready for the world level. Only has a little more than a week to get the US team ready for a game with Mexico.

that' game's in philly right? I might be heading to that. last soccer game I went to was a world cup game in 1994 at giants stadium. I think it was iran and morroco or something like that

that dumb and dumber line made me laugh. haha
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Great news, was hoping they would get him this time around.

3rd time US has tried to get him to coach, right? Hopefully it works out. Something needed to change after that debacle in the gold cup final against Mexico. That was pathetic.
    edited July 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

that' game's in philly right? I might be heading to that. last soccer game I went to was a world cup game in 1994 at giants stadium. I think it was iran and morroco or something like that

that dumb and dumber line made me laugh. haha

Think it is in Philly. I'm curious to see how the US team reacts to him. Not sure how much a difference his strategy will make in this game, just hope they have some life in them now. They have looked bad since the world cup ended
    Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    great move but its not the fix the USNT needed. you coulda gotten Sir Alex Ferguson and that still wouldn't have been the fix. the problem with the USNT is the players. they don't have that finisher like other national teams do who can take the game over themselves or that really good Dman the other teams are fearful of. that all starts at the very very bottom, im talking youth leagues. kids stop playing cause they realize soccer doesnt have a future here in states. the MLS is a nice league and it's great to see a league thrive here but soccer will never be popular enough to make a dent.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Should be a fun game tonight. Start of a new era for US Soccer.
    interesting to see Jurgen go with a 4-5-1 and sorta unleash bradley in a way

metsfan wrote:

Yeah, I haven't followed the past 10 days or so too much, but I will be interested to see if there are any big changes. I can't imagine there are.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Yeah, I haven't followed the past 10 days or so too much, but I will be interested to see if there are any big changes. I can't imagine there are.
    lineup for tonights game

Howard; Cherundolo, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Jones, Beckerman; Donovan, Bradley, Torres; Buddle

metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

lineup for tonights game

Howard; Cherundolo, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Jones, Beckerman; Donovan, Bradley, Torres; Buddle

Dempsey hurt?
    Why is the little league still on?

Edit: Got it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dempsey hurt?
    nope, he's getting to know the new coach for Fullham :? :|

Pathetic crowd.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Pathetic crowd.
    damn right

Terrible
    wheres the pressure????

metsfan wrote:
    wheres the pressure????

Couple set pieces there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    wheres the pressure????

Couple set pieces there.
    yea they were ok. thought we had something but that sissymary mexican took a dive. also why does espn have a mexician announcer in the booth? if i wanted to hear a mexician announcer id go to the spanish. whata another dive by a mexician and way to go for them to make something outta nothing. i wanna bury them tonight.

metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    wheres the pressure????

Couple set pieces there.
    yea they were ok. thought we had something but that sissymary mexican took a dive. also why does espn have a mexician announcer in the booth? if i wanted to hear a mexician announcer id go to the spanish. whata another dive by a mexician and way to go for them to make something outta nothing. i wanna bury them tonight.

Yeah, I don't know. No one cheering for Mexico is watching this broadcast.

I like the pushing. He got right back in his face.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I don't know. No one cheering for Mexico is watching this broadcast.

I like the pushing. He got right back in his face.
    he's annoying cause he won't speak for 5 minutes and outta nowhere say something.

i don't mind the pushing and shoving but not after a ticky tack foul.

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    yeah this is odd. We were thinking of going to the game, but decided not, but it looks like the upper tier of the stadium is empty. Normally there would be more Mexican fans.

And US is just not playing well. Good thing there is a lot of time to figure things out before World Cup qualifying.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    yeah this is odd. We were thinking of going to the game, but decided not, but it looks like the upper tier of the stadium is empty. Normally there would be more Mexican fans.

And US is just not playing well. Good thing there is a lot of time to figure things out before World Cup qualifying.

Yeah, I was planning on going as well. This is a terrible crowd though. Lower level isn't close to full and the upper level is pretty much empty. I was hoping to go, but was on vacation last week and this is my only night of the week not traveling for work.

Brutal showing. Strange team though.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Yeah, I was planning on going as well. This is a terrible crowd though. Lower level isn't close to full and the upper level is pretty much empty. I was hoping to go, but was on vacation last week and this is my only night of the week not traveling for work.

Brutal showing. Strange team though.

well, we had 3 U2 shows in three weeks, then went to see ManU Vs. Barca in Wash DC, so we were not up for another hot day in a stadium. Kind of glad we didn't go looks like a dull game. Last year we went there and saw US vs. Turkey and the place was packed and it was a great game.