I want to do what Chris Mccandless did...sort of

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Agreed. Also, this selfish talk really gets to me. My whole life has been spent doing reckless things, survival trips, whitewater, mountain climbing, etc., and I could have been killed a million times. Now, was my mom ever nervous about my lifestyle? Yeah, she was. Am I selfish for putting her through that? Not in my mind. Some people want to become astronauts, some people want to be soldiers, and all along the way family members wring their hands over the decisions of loved one, but like I already said, you have to live for yourself and do what makes you happy, not what makes your mom and dad or your siblings happy.

what i also find interesting is that somehow the only people that matter to some here are the parents and his sister ... like what about Chris? ... if Chris is guilty of being selfish for living his life - then his parents are guilty of not wanting him to ... everything is a two-way street here ...
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Does living mean putting the people that love you through fucking hell?

do you forget what chris's parents did to him?

sometimes people have crappy families, so yeah fuck em.

Like I said in my other comment, his family life was not all that bad. There are millions of kids that are living in much much much worse situations.

And those millions of kids are doing nothing about it. Chris tried to do something about his unhappiness, about his struggles with his family and own youthful mind. Maybe some of you should respect the fact he was trying, he was learning, even if his choices don't make sense to you.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Well that is awful then. I have too much respect for my loved ones to put them through hell.

respect requires good treatment.
    some families are so fucked up in their treatment for one another there's no respect.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I have read Into The Wild three times because I have wanted to respect this kid and I can't. He was a horrible person for putting his family through that anguish. A simple phone call would have helped them a whole fucking lot. Fulfill whatever needs you feel necessary but not at the expense of the ones that love you. His family life was not all that bad either so don't give me that shit. There are millions of kids living in much much much worse situations.

He died because he was an arrorgant idiot and didn't listen to people. Simple as that. He was unprepared and he paid the price. And don't give me this shit about the field guide. He made mistake after mistake. It was only a matter of time.

it's clear his sister doesn't see him as a horrible person and i think she would know him better than most people on here ...

it's easy for us to judge the man but at the end of the day - we don't really know what was in his head ... people make mistakes every single day ... at least he was able to live the life he wanted - not many of us can truly say that ...

The comments his sister have made are looking back in time. You don't think her feelings have changed since 1991? You think she felt the exact same way when they had no clue if he was dead or alive or what happened to him?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Well that is awful then. I have too much respect for my loved ones to put them through hell.

respect requires good treatment.
    some families are so fucked up in their treatment for one another there's no respect.

So two wrongs make a right?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

So two wrongs make a right?

i guess he was just dealing with it the best he knew how.
    he didn't go out there to die.

eyedclaar wrote:
    And those millions of kids are doing nothing about it. Chris tried to do something about his unhappiness, about his struggles with his family and own youthful mind. Maybe some of you should respect the fact he was trying, he was learning, even if his choices don't make sense to you.

I respect the fact he did what he felt was right for his life and his happiness. What I don't respect is what he did to his family or his inability to listen to anyone who knew what they were talking about. A phone call, a letter, something would have put them at ease.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The comments his sister have made are looking back in time. You don't think her feelings have changed since 1991? You think she felt the exact same way when they had no clue if he was dead or alive or what happened to him?

i don't know if they changed - what i do know is that she probably thinks that way now

worrying about someone IS life ... i worry about everyone i care for and some i don't all the time - so what? ... i think the expression is "if you love someone - set them free" ...
  • the wolf wrote:

well yeah, I quoted you. you did in fact say that.

I find it funny that you use those words for someone who chooses not to go on some wild adventure, but yet
    others are wrong for calling Chris M. reckless and.... gasp, a bit moronic.

lets face it, at least 75% of the people here would not have even cared about Chirs M. or seen the movie if EV had not done the soundtrack. So there is a connection between the two that cannot be denied.

Yet EV wont go on tour for longer than 3 fucking weeks at a time anymore because he don't want to be away from his family.
    Hmmmm, I wonder how unfulfilled EV must be feeling right now... :roll:
    The fact that you have some hint about my connection that I have with this movie, I would have thought you could possibly see where I am coming from. Have I chosen not to go and do all the things that I want? Maybe not some 'extreme adventure' as referenced to, but what I am capable of, nonetheless. You have things that you want to do. Whats holding you back now? Responsibilites? Family? Friends? How is that not selfish on their part then? And, NO! I am not saying that it is... Sometimes I think people just use these things as an excuse.

Responsibilites change. Priorities change. Hopes and dreams change. Some people have the ability and the guts to act on these things.
    edited March 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I respect the fact he did what he felt was right for his life and his happiness. What I don't respect is what he did to his family or his inability to listen to anyone who knew what they were talking about. A phone call, a letter, something would have put them at ease.

while i see why he had no respect for his family i also...
    i agree with you somewhat.
    and as i've said to the OP
    at least call your family once a month. pick one family member you hate the least and call them.
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

If you read the book, then you know that Chris did listen to everyone and was constantly writing notes and taking advice. As an outdoor survivalist, I know what I'm talking about and what that punk city boy managed to do out there is to be admired... even if he did make a couple of mistakes. It's pretty easy to judge his family life and what you think he should have done or should not have done. But I know what it's like to not want to speak to family or friends and just vanish into the hills. He was a bright, capable young man who embraced life and sadly, made a couple of mistakes that cost him his life.

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    I think travelling and seeing your country is a fabulous idea, the Chris Mccandless story aside, it is a great adventure and life changing to do something like that. The other thing I also think is important is to keep an open mind, this including "settling down" to me meeting someone and sharing your same interests with only adds to such an adventure in life in general. In the end Chris himself realised that it is all pointless without loved ones in your life. That said, get out there, dont live to regret something and have a ball enjoying and exploring life! :)

very first response and...jackpot!
    :thumbup:

i completely agree. you've got to live your life how you want to, go for the meaningful experiences and relationships...what matters most to you. i've never had a desire to do what chris mccandless ever did, but sweet bejeebus i have always loved to travel and have been fortunate enough to travel a lot, starting in my mid-teens.....and i still do. i also married pretty young by today's standards, and that has not 'held me back' at all. quite the opposite really. it is possible to 'have it all'.....what that 'all' will be tho, will vary wildly on who you are and what you want. life is definitely for living......so get busy livin'! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I always thought that your 20's were when you proved yourself as an employee or even an entrepreneur. There's nothing wrong with wanting to travel but that's why you save money and have vacation days built up.

IMO, your mid-20's are pretty crucial years in determining what you're going to do with the rest of your life.

Traveling, like anything else, should be done in moderation.

Nobody wants to hear how cool hiking in the mountains was from a homeless 56 year old with 4 teeth.
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

If you read the book, then you know that Chris did listen to everyone and was constantly writing notes and taking advice. As an outdoor survivalist, I know what I'm talking about and what that punk city boy managed to do out there is to be admired... even if he did make a couple of mistakes. It's pretty easy to judge his family life and what you think he should have done or should not have done. But I know what it's like to not want to speak to family or friends and just vanish into the hills. He was a bright, capable young man who embraced life and sadly, made a couple of mistakes that cost him his life.

Fair enough on some of the points. He may have taken notes and listened to people but he was learning and the Alsakan wilderness is not the place to learn and try to figure out what you are doing from conversations and notes.

If he listened to the last person he saw, he may have survived.
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

This is constantly my argument with the ones whom I have referred to watch this movie... My brothers and dad imparticular. They say that he was so fucking foolish to do the things that he did, mainly referring to the time spent in Alaska. They also say that they could survive for years with their hunting and survival skills... BUT, I am always quick to point out the fact that they would NEVER have the balls to do so. To actually leave all modern comforts behind... I guess this is why have utmost respect and admiration for Chris. They can't seem to see my point of view.
    [This is constantly my argument with the ones whom I have referred to watch this movie... My brothers and dad imparticular. They say that he was so fucking foolish to do the things that he did, mainly referring to the time spent in Alaska. They also say that they could survive for years with their hunting and survival skills... BUT, I am always quick to point out the fact that they would NEVER have the balls to do so. To actually leave all modern comforts behind... I guess this is why have utmost respect and admiration for Chris. They can't seem to see my point of view.

The Alaskan wilderness provides some challenges that people in the lower 48 never have to deal with and unless they've been out there, they wouldn't know. That being said, if my goal was to really set myself up out there long term, I could, but it would be difficult and I'd certainly bring in more gear than Chris did. But again, Chris made the decision to pack lightly and try to survive old school. He knew he was leaving crucial gear behind but that was part of the challenge established in his mind. He brought enough to make it though, that isn't what killed him.

• eyedclaar wrote:
    [This is constantly my argument with the ones whom I have referred to watch this movie... My brothers and dad imparticular. They say that he was so fucking foolish to do the things that he did, mainly referring to the time spent in Alaska. They also say that they could survive for years with their hunting and survival skills... BUT, I am always quick to point out the fact that they would NEVER have the balls to do so. To actually leave all modern comforts behind... I guess this is why have utmost respect and admiration for Chris. They can't seem to see my point of view.

The Alaskan wilderness provides some challenges that people in the lower 48 never have to deal with and unless they've been out there, they wouldn't know. That being said, if my goal was to really set myself up out there long term, I could, but it would be difficult and I'd certainly bring in more gear than Chris did. But again, Chris made the decision to pack lightly and try to survive old school. He knew he was leaving crucial gear behind but that was part of the challenge established in his mind. He brought enough to make it though, that isn't what killed him.
    I nearly froze to death (not literally, I am just a pussy) when backpacking along Lake Superior. My $300 subzero temp. sleepingbag didn't keep me warm... Plus it was May. I know I wouldn't last too long up there, but I would give it one helluva try and make the best of it.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    the wolf wrote:

I find it funny that you use those words for someone who chooses not to go on some wild adventure, but yet

lets face it, at least 75% of the people here would not have even cared about Chirs M. or seen the movie if EV had not done the soundtrack. So there is a connection between the two that cannot be denied.

Yet EV wont go on tour for longer than 3 fucking weeks at a time anymore because he don't want to be away from his family.
    The fact that you have some hint about my connection that I have with this movie, I would have thought you could possibly see where I am coming from. Have I chosen not to go and do all the things that I want? Maybe not some 'extreme adventure' as referenced to, but what I am capable of, nonetheless. You have things that you want to do. Whats holding you back now? Responsibilites? Family? Friends? How is that not selfish on their part then? And, NO! I am not saying that it is... Sometimes I think people just use these things as an excuse.

Responsibilites change. Priorities change. Hopes and dreams change. Some people have the ability and the guts to act on these things.

I do know the connection you have to the movie, and I do see where you are coming from.
    It seems that you don't see where others are coming from as far as the responsibilites, family, and friends.
    yeah, there are lots of things that I want to do. But I don't see how my family or friends are holding me back from any of them in anyway, or what is so selfish on their part. Hell my sister is telling my 20 year old nephew to sign the record deal with universal and go see the world. They are very supportive people when it comes to going after dreams. My point, is that all that would be nothing for me, if I could not share it with those I love.

but I guess that just makes me boring, a sheep apart of the herd, oh yeah,, and unfulfilled.

I have not once said that it's not something someone who feels the need to do it should not experience.

What I did say is that its not for me.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolf wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

I do know the connection you have to the movie, and I do see where you are coming from.
    It seems that you don't see where others are coming from as far as the responsibilites, family, and friends.
    yeah, there are lots of things that I want to do. But I don't see how my family or friends are holding me back from any of them in anyway, or what is so selfish on their part. Hell my sister is telling my 20 year old nephew to sign the record deal with universal and go see the world. They are very supportive people when it comes to going after dreams. My point, is that all that would be nothing for me, if I could not share it with those I love.

but I guess that just makes me boring, a sheep apart of the herd, oh yeah,, and unfulfilled.

I have not once said that it's not something someone who feels the need to do it should not experience.

What I did say is that its not for me.
    I completely see where other people are coming from, its just that some others aren't and are quick to judge and refer to it as 'rebelling' or selfish becasuse they choose an alternate path than what most of society views as whats expected. I have respect for whatever people choose...
    AS LONG AS THEY ARE HAPPY AND BEING TRUE TO THEIRSELVES
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I completely see where other people are coming from, its just that some others aren't and are quick to judge and refer to it as 'rebelling' or selfish becasuse they choose an alternate path than what most of society views as whats expected. I have respect for whatever people choose...
    A lot of the 'selfish' argument isn't about the travelling or style of living, it's coming from the complete lack of communication with "loved ones" while he was off doing these things.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Rygar wrote:
    A lot of the 'selfish' argument isn't about the travelling or style of living, it's coming from the complete lack of communication with "loved ones" while he was off doing these things.
    +1.

Hopefully when my kids get to Chris's age I

1. Will have a better relationship with them than his parents did.
    2. Will have enough respect to give them their space to pursue their dreams eventhough they might be mine
    3. They will have enough respect to contact us and feel that my wife and I are the kind of parents that they will check in with.

I get the appeal of what he did, it's the lack of contact, especially with his sister that was the sadness I experienced from the movie.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Rygar wrote:
    I could be mistaken, but am too lazy to go back and look, but I don't think that this is what the op means, to live according to the book and not communicate, and for people to assume this is kinda stupid. But.... Anywho!
    Lol
    Not everyone can see everyones point of view... I get it.
    Rygar wrote:

But that was the point. He didn't want to talk to those people at that moment in his life. Probably about 95% of all of us have broke off communication with certain family members at some point. Sometimes we repair those relationships and sometimes we don't. I'm positive, Chris assumed he would see them again one day. He didn't decide to die to teach them all a lesson. Hell, I talk to my brother in Alaska about once every leap year, I suppose if I die tomorrow that makes me selfish for having not called in awhile.

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    While I admire Chris McCandless, I think you should do a bit more research and a little bit more training than he did. I understand he was in a hurry to run away from the things he disliked, but he could've used a bit more knowledge of surviving outdoors...

If you're going to do something like this, take the time to catch up on your knowledge and know your shit. When you're alone in the wilderness for extended periods of time, it's not a question of if something life challenging will happen, it's a question of when.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

But that was the point. He didn't want to talk to those people at that moment in his life. Probably about 95% of all of us have broke off communication with certain family members at some point. Sometimes we repair those relationships and sometimes we don't. I'm positive, Chris assumed he would see them again one day. He didn't decide to die to teach them all a lesson. Hell, I talk to my brother in Alaska about once every leap year, I suppose if I die tomorrow that makes me selfish for having not called in awhile.
    Even his sister, with whom he had a great relationship with?
    Rygar wrote:
    I could be mistaken, but am too lazy to go back and look, but I don't think that this is what the op means, to live according to the book and not communicate, and for people to assume this is kinda stupid. But.... Anywho!
    Lol
    Not everyone can see everyones point of view... I get it.
    You're right, but I think this got way off course by page....1 or so ;)
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,477
    I am going to go to work today....and tomorrow ....and the next day....

Then in June I may go camping for a couple nights...

Maybe go camping in August, too....

In between those camping trips I am going to keep going to work 5 days a week......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978
    the wolf wrote:

I live in a place where it's just not an option, the place is called reality. I wanted to do this when I was your age, but didn't.

I also now live in reality....I'm surprised we haven't met. ;)

But, back in the day, I thumbed my way from Ohio to Florida, Ohio to Colorado, Ohio to Martha's Vineyard and Ohio to Mexico. Good times, bro. :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I am going to go to work today....and tomorrow ....and the next day....

Then in June I may go camping for a couple nights...

Maybe go camping in August, too....

In between those camping trips I am going to keep going to work 5 days a week......
    Camping?!?
    Work?!?
    Omfg! How selfish and reckless of you!!!

Lmao
    dcfaithful wrote:
    While I admire Chris McCandless, I think you should do a bit more research and a little bit more training than he did. I understand he was in a hurry to run away from the things he disliked, but he could've used a bit more knowledge of surviving outdoors...

If you're going to do something like this, take the time to catch up on your knowledge and know your shit. When you're alone in the wilderness for extended periods of time, it's not a question of if something life challenging will happen, it's a question of when.

Why is this so hard to understand, people? Yes, you're right, but Chris knew this as well. He was looking for a real challenge and that is why he went in under prepared and without all the correct gear. I repeat, CHRIS UNDERSTOOD WHAT HE WAS ATTEMPTING. He wanted to try it the hard way and with the exception of not understanding the power of summer run-off in Alaska, he did just fine. Had he crossed back over, none of us would known his story or given a shit one way or the other. I've been on survival trips with my knife and flint and steel. I guess, now is when some of you should chime in telling me what I really needed to do was read up on camping and take more stuff.