I want to do what Chris Mccandless did...sort of

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dunkman wrote:
    you must have read a different book than me? His sister understood to a point, but she had no idea where he was and spent a lot of time attempting to contact him.

I can only go by his eventual outcome and what he did prior to that, so I think ultimately he was a selfish moron who pretty much killed himself... i'm sure he touched many many lives of the people he met on his travels... shame he didnt spend as much time reassuring his own family of his wellbeing, but instead spent his time ensuring the guy who he worked with picking potatoes knew he was a swell guy.

me going to a PJ show via car might take me a day or two.. the guy fucked off for months on end and never informed his family... not even comparable in the selfish stakes amigo. :thumbup:

i read the same book ... and this is what carine wrote upon the release of the movie ..

I am Chris' sister, Carine McCandless. I do not often read reviews or write replies, but Dana Stevens' headline caught my attention. Her statement that my father was "certainly no wife beater" is completely false, as is her assumption that Sean "unforgivably" made up this scene in the movie to try to soften the audiences view of my brother. I helped him write that scene, I lived it, it is truth. In fact, both Sean Penn in making the movie and Jon Krakauer in writing the book were incredibly thorough with their research. They remained honest, while also being admirably kind & respectful to our parents by not going further. There is something to be recognized for my parents willingness to have the story told, even if it was handled delicately. It is not necessary to go into more details, except to say that kind of childhood has an undeniable impact. Chris's triumph was to not let their unfortunate choices and negative behaviour, dishearten him and his desire for a beautiful life. Jon & Sean have done right by my brother. He was truly an amazing person. Everyone can benefit from the lessons that are available within this great book and inspirational movie about him. Thanks, Carine
    loving someone is sometimes accepting them for who they are ... was chris supposed to go get a "normal" job just beause his parents said so? ... the guy have his life savings to oxfam - hardly the act of a selfish person ... the man surivived a winter in alaska - no moron could do that ...
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Agreed... Completely. Us wisconsin people are fucking brilliant, yeah? Lol

Damn straight! :lol: Although, I am originally a transplant, so I can't take all of the wisco. glory, but I guess the 5 years up here have paid off, haha.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Some people will understand what Chris did and others will not. I do understand. Some people need safety and family, some do not. In my opinion, let your soul be your guide, not what you think others want of you, or expect of you, even your loved ones. Make yourself happy first. Selfish? I guess, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. What's the worst that can happen? You die? That's gonna happen no matter what. Live while you can.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Some people will understand what Chris did and others will not. I do understand. Some people need safety and family, some do not. In my opinion, let your soul be your guide, not what you think others want of you, or expect of you, even your loved ones. Make yourself happy first. Selfish? I guess, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. What's the worst that can happen? You die? That's gonna happen no matter what. Live while you can.

I agree with you. I believe it becomes selfish only when others are negatively impacted (like Chris' family). Otherwise, just gotta keep on livin.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    polaris_x wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    you must have read a different book than me? His sister understood to a point, but she had no idea where he was and spent a lot of time attempting to contact him.

i read the same book ... and this is what carine wrote upon the release of the movie ..

I am Chris' sister, Carine McCandless. I do not often read reviews or write replies, but Dana Stevens' headline caught my attention. Her statement that my father was "certainly no wife beater" is completely false, as is her assumption that Sean "unforgivably" made up this scene in the movie to try to soften the audiences view of my brother. I helped him write that scene, I lived it, it is truth. In fact, both Sean Penn in making the movie and Jon Krakauer in writing the book were incredibly thorough with their research. They remained honest, while also being admirably kind & respectful to our parents by not going further. There is something to be recognized for my parents willingness to have the story told, even if it was handled delicately. It is not necessary to go into more details, except to say that kind of childhood has an undeniable impact. Chris's triumph was to not let their unfortunate choices and negative behaviour, dishearten him and his desire for a beautiful life. Jon & Sean have done right by my brother. He was truly an amazing person. Everyone can benefit from the lessons that are available within this great book and inspirational movie about him. Thanks, Carine

that's great. but it doesnt tell us anything about how he made no attempt to contact his sister. Which is what I said was one of his selfish acts. He grew up in a shitty home? Don't lots of people? So he decided to go and do it on his own... good for him. I presume he was also aware his sister grew up in that same shitty home? Perhaps he might have taken some time out of his busy schedule to contact her? Make sure she was dealing with things ok?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    that's great. but it doesnt tell us anything about how he made no attempt to contact his sister. Which is what I said was one of his selfish acts. He grew up in a shitty home? Don't lots of people? So he decided to go and do it on his own... good for him. I presume he was also aware his sister grew up in that same shitty home? Perhaps he might have taken some time out of his busy schedule to contact her? Make sure she was dealing with things ok?

it tells us that she believed he was an amazing person who lived a beautiful life ... if she can see that - why can't you?

what your expectations are of the situation is just that - yours ... you have to remember - this was before everyone had iphones and email ... maybe he should have contacted her - we can all look at all the details and judge but at the end of the day ... this was about a person who realized that life to him wasn't what many wanted for him ... there are many who subscribe to that theory and in most cases we don't call them selfish arrogant morons ... simply because the people who love them have accepted them for who they are ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    If you are serious, before jumping off the deep end I recommend spending several (like over 15) weekends roughing it and doing some week-long trips. Traveling seems simple but experience trumps everything. You need to learn basic survival skills because nature rarely gives you a second chance.

I dont know the whole story, but I assumed that Chris M. didnt really know that his sister was trying so hard to contact him. and if his whole priority was to escape from his parents for a period of time, then being in contact with his sister might have made him not feel "on his own" from the whole family and his life that was weighing him down.

we can guess and assume all day and night... but we'll never know. The only man who did know died alone and emaciated in a abandoned metal bus.

now, i'm not a genius, but that doesnt sound too clever to me. Also his story is really a non-story. Guy gets mad at parents and world, guy gives away money, guy abandons car & burns ID, guy does lots of menial work cos its show his middle class upbringing is worthless when pitted against the 'common' man, guy eats raw plants in Alaska, guy dies.

I'd rather do something worthwhile like this guy
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 522019.stm
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    polaris_x wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

it tells us that she believed he was an amazing person who lived a beautiful life ... if she can see that - why can't you?

I think Hunter S Thomson was an amazing person who lived a beautiful life... he still died by selfishly committing suicide...

my point is that I believe he was a selfish person for disregarding the thoughts of others who cared and loved for him... i also think he was a moron for dying needlessly.

its my opinion, why try and change it?
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Why can't people understand that not everyone wants the boring, monotonous, inadequate life that so many others have chosen? A bit ignorant?

Some people get off on routine, security, safety, unfulfilling relationships... Damn those that long for better, right?

Is it not a bit ignorant to assume that what others have chosen is not boring, monotonous, or inadequate to those that have chosen it?

I think assuming that is just as "ignorant" as me saying, that anyone who does what the op is speaking of is dumb for doing that. which btw , I never said.

routine just means responsible for the most part. who don't want some sort of security ?
    Unfulfilling relationships ??? really ? Yeah, my relationship with my mother and sis and her husband and my nephews was/is soooooooooo unfulfiling. :roll:
    and that's my point, had I taken off to ... fucking where the fuck ever in my early 20's , i would not have what i have now in these VERY fulfilling relationships. So i would have missed things for having done that.

to each their own, it's just not for me. But that does not make me any less "fulfilled" as a person then someone who backpacks across the country.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Your opinion of what other people want doesn't make it fact - that isn't open mindedness. As IwasBit10 says above, there is no right or wrong way to live life - if you don't like what other people think that is fine, but it doesn't make you any righter than they are.

I guess I don't understand the first sentence... My opinion really doesn't mean shit- I am aware. That doesn't mean that I can't see both sides of this topic or the wants and needs of life-fulfillment. Most people take to the role of dating, marriage, house, kids. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, IF they are happy. This is life. You only get one. If you feel that that road is not for you or think that you may have to veer off of that well-traveled path to better experience life, so be it. Few have the balls to act upon those feelings. Many people have bad feelings about their relationships and just choose to ignore it rather than to try to find a happier, more content realm of life.

Life is what you make of it. We shouldn't live selfishly, but isn't fulfilling ANY of our wants/needs selfish behavior?
    dunkman wrote:
    I think Hunter S Thomson was an amazing person who lived a beautiful life... he still died by selfishly committing suicide...

my point is that I believe he was a selfish person for disregarding the thoughts of others who cared and loved for him... i also think he was a moron for dying needlessly.

its my opinion, why try and change it?

it's not a matter of changing it - for the same reasons why you responded to my post - it's a discussion ... i so happen to not think he's a seflish arrogant moron ...

again - are we supposed to live in accordance to those that love and care for us? ... shouldn't that love be a two-way street? ... if i lived by what my parents wanted - i'd be at home with them with a bunch of kids - am i selfish for wanting something different?

everyone will die - but not everyone will live ... if not for some bad information from a field guide - chris would probably be with us today ...
  • the wolf wrote:
    Why can't people understand that not everyone wants the boring, monotonous, inadequate life that so many others have chosen? A bit ignorant?

Some people get off on routine, security, safety, unfulfilling relationships... Damn those that long for better, right?

Is it not a bit ignorant to assume that what others have chosen is not boring, monotonous, or inadequate to those that have chosen it?

I think assuming that is just as "ignorant" as me saying, that anyone who does what the op is speaking of is dumb for doing that. which btw , I never said.

routine just means responsible for the most part. who don't want some sort of security ?
    Unfulfilling relationships ??? really ? Yeah, my relationship with my mother and sis and her husband and my nephews was/is soooooooooo unfulfiling. :roll:
    and that's my point, had I taken off to ... fucking where the fuck ever in my early 20's , i would not have what i have now in these VERY fulfilling relationships. So i would have missed things for having done that.

to each their own, it's just not for me. But that does not make me any less "fulfilled" as a person then someone who backpacks across the country.
    yeah, cause that's what I said, huh?
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Your opinion of what other people want doesn't make it fact - that isn't open mindedness. As IwasBit10 says above, there is no right or wrong way to live life - if you don't like what other people think that is fine, but it doesn't make you any righter than they are.

I guess I don't understand the first sentence... My opinion really doesn't mean shit- I am aware. That doesn't mean that I can't see both sides of this topic or the wants and needs of life-fulfillment. Most people take to the role of dating, marriage, house, kids. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, IF they are happy. This is life. You only get one. If you feel that that road is not for you or think that you may have to veer off of that well-traveled path to better experience life, so be it. Few have the balls to act upon those feelings. Many people have bad feelings about their relationships and just choose to ignore it rather than to try to find a happier, more content realm of life.

Life is what you make of it. We shouldn't live selfishly, but isn't fulfilling ANY of our wants/needs selfish behavior?
    And that's fine. I'm just saying you can't call other people ignorant for their outlook on a way of life and then proceed to categorize their way of life (as perceived by you) as boring, monotonous, etc. That is how such a way of life would be to you, and that's you, which again is ok, but it's not the same perception for everyone.

Anywho, carry on.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    again - are we supposed to live in accordance to those that love and care for us? ... shouldn't that love be a two-way street? ... if i lived by what my parents wanted - i'd be at home with them with a bunch of kids - am i selfish for wanting something different?
    everyone will die - but not everyone will live ...

I think this is perfectly stated
    polaris_x wrote:

And there's nothing wrong with it, but what if that life is what someone wants, and that is living to them? Then that is living, despite what other people think of it.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    just take a map and call your family once a month.

(that's the only thing i fault chris for)

he could've took a map and ignored it, until that dire moment.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

the wolf wrote:

yeah, cause that's what I said, huh?

well yeah, I quoted you. you did in fact say that.

I find it funny that you use those words for someone who chooses not to go on some wild adventure, but yet
    others are wrong for calling Chris M. reckless and.... gasp, a bit moronic.

lets face it, at least 75% of the people here would not have even cared about Chirs M. or seen the movie if EV had not done the soundtrack. So there is a connection between the two that cannot be denied.

Yet EV wont go on tour for longer than 3 fucking weeks at a time anymore because he don't want to be away from his family.
    Hmmmm, I wonder how unfulfilled EV must be feeling right now... :roll:
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Rygar wrote:
    Your opinion of what other people want doesn't make it fact - that isn't open mindedness. As IwasBit10 says above, there is no right or wrong way to live life - if you don't like what other people think that is fine, but it doesn't make you any righter than they are.

And that's fine. I'm just saying you can't call other people ignorant for their outlook on a way of life and then proceed to categorize their way of life (as perceived by you) as boring, monotonous, etc. That is how such a way of life would be to you, and that's you, which again is ok, but it's not the same perception for everyone.

Anywho, carry on.
    Yes. Its the absolute same. I was only making a point. I completely understood the words I had chose.
    As my actions are being called reckless or irresponsible... in the eyes of the beholder perhaps...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    I have read Into The Wild three times because I have wanted to respect this kid and I can't. He was a horrible person for putting his family through that anguish. A simple phone call would have helped them a whole fucking lot. Fulfill whatever needs you feel necessary but not at the expense of the ones that love you. His family life was not all that bad either so don't give me that shit. There are millions of kids living in much much much worse situations.

He died because he was an arrorgant idiot and didn't listen to people. Simple as that. He was unprepared and he paid the price. And don't give me this shit about the field guide. He made mistake after mistake. It was only a matter of time.
    Jason P wrote:
    If you are serious, before jumping off the deep end I recommend spending several (like over 15) weekends roughing it and doing some week-long trips. Traveling seems simple but experience trumps everything. You need to learn basic survival skills because nature rarely gives you a second chance.

not sure if this was directed at me ...

but i am an experienced outdoors person ... i have my WFR and have been leading outdoor adventure trips for 10 years ...

anyways - the guy survived an entire winter in alaska ... he had more than the basic survival skills - he just simply got bad information from a field guide - a mistake any seasoned survivalist could make ...
    polaris_x wrote:

Does living mean putting the people that love you through fucking hell?
    edited March 2010
    Yes. Its the absolute same. I was only making a point. I completely understood the words I had chose.
    As my actions are being called reckless or irresponsible... in the eyes of the beholder perhaps...
    Sorry, missed the point the first time round.
    Post edited by Rygar on
    polaris_x wrote:

Agreed. Also, this selfish talk really gets to me. My whole life has been spent doing reckless things, survival trips, whitewater, mountain climbing, etc., and I could have been killed a million times. Now, was my mom ever nervous about my lifestyle? Yeah, she was. Am I selfish for putting her through that? Not in my mind. Some people want to become astronauts, some people want to be soldiers, and all along the way family members wring their hands over the decisions of loved one, but like I already said, you have to live for yourself and do what makes you happy, not what makes your mom and dad or your siblings happy.

• blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

do you forget what chris's parents did to him?

sometimes people have crappy families, so yeah fuck em.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Cliffy6745 wrote:

do you forget what chris's parents did to him?

sometimes people have crappy families, so yeah fuck em.

Like I said in my other comment, his family life was not all that bad. There are millions of kids that are living in much much much worse situations.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sometimes. Absolutely yes.

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I have read Into The Wild three times because I have wanted to respect this kid and I can't. He was a horrible person for putting his family through that anguish. A simple phone call would have helped them a whole fucking lot. Fulfill whatever needs you feel necessary but not at the expense of the ones that love you. His family life was not all that bad either so don't give me that shit. There are millions of kids living in much much much worse situations.

He died because he was an arrorgant idiot and didn't listen to people. Simple as that. He was unprepared and he paid the price. And don't give me this shit about the field guide. He made mistake after mistake. It was only a matter of time.

it's clear his sister doesn't see him as a horrible person and i think she would know him better than most people on here ...

it's easy for us to judge the man but at the end of the day - we don't really know what was in his head ... people make mistakes every single day ... at least he was able to live the life he wanted - not many of us can truly say that ...
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sometimes. Absolutely yes.

Well that is awful then. I have too much respect for my loved ones to put them through hell.
    eyedclaar wrote:

Agreed. Also, this selfish talk really gets to me. My whole life has been spent doing reckless things, survival trips, whitewater, mountain climbing, etc., and I could have been killed a million times. Now, was my mom ever nervous about my lifestyle? Yeah, she was. Am I selfish for putting her through that? Not in my mind. Some people want to become astronauts, some people want to be soldiers, and all along the way family members wring their hands over the decisions of loved one, but like I already said, you have to live for yourself and do what makes you happy, not what makes your mom and dad or your siblings happy.

I think what you have done is waaaaaay differrent then what others are talking about here.
    I don't think you are or were being selfish at all, and to be honest, I don't really get the shlfish talk either.

It's the assuming that if you don't do these things, and go along with what the "norm" is that you are not living life.

I think you said it best earlier when you said everyone has to do what makes them happy.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel