I want to do what Chris Mccandless did...sort of

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
has anyone here done what he did, or wanted to do what he did, in a lesser manner. For instance, keep your money and id and whatnot, and instead of living primitive in alaska, maybe buying a backpack and tent and hitchhiking across america. buying a ticket to a destination on a greyhound, getting out, and the hitchhiking across america. One can emulate chris and his spirit and not do the living in alaska part right?

i am 25 and feel the pull of these desires. its something about this age, being in my twenties, its like we get restless feet, itchy feet or something. I am getting to the age where my friends talk about settling down. that scares the hell out of me. i have no desire to settle down right now, or ever.

For me, being happy, would be great, but maybe more important is a story. how many people lived life to the fullest like chris did? How many people would hitchhike across america? I want to feel like, when I die, I wont have regrets.

I have this fear that as I age, as I get older, this desire to live free, to travel, to find IT as kerouac would say, wont be an inspiration, but rather be a regret. I will be a 50 year old, wishing I had done all this. I am scared I will be some 80 year old grandpa, being asked by grandkids, "so grandpa what did you used to do", "oh kids, I was too scared to do anything, I settled down, gave up the ghost, gave up on my dreams, and became like THEM". Them, or they, is of course the masses, everyone else, the herd, the sheep.

I would be scared out of my mind, but is it feasible to do this? Spend the 300 bucks for a backpack and tent, and hit the local highway, thumb out, and travel across the U.S?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think travelling and seeing your country is a fabulous idea, the Chris Mccandless story aside, it is a great adventure and life changing to do something like that. The other thing I also think is important is to keep an open mind, this including "settling down" to me meeting someone and sharing your same interests with only adds to such an adventure in life in general. In the end Chris himself realised that it is all pointless without loved ones in your life. That said, get out there, dont live to regret something and have a ball enjoying and exploring life! :)
  • ps. I meant to also add that good friends of mine have sold their house and most of their posessions and taken themselves and 5 kids on a camping tour of our country Australia, what a wonderful journey for them all, so i say do it if you have that desire!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I don't know who this Chris guy is, but I did this when I was 17 and 18. I traveled all over the US for 2 years.
    I stayed in Fort Lauderdale and San Fransisco for a period of time. The rest of the time was mostly short visits.
    I always thought I would do it again, after I raised my kids, but I am just too old to do it like I did back then...and times have changes and it isn't as easy or safe.

It was great back then though!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    I highly recommend traveling around the country. I've done it three times myself. But keep in mind that you can also try something like being an Americorps Vista in several places, where you receive a stipend for working in underserved parts of each area you're in. That way, you can make a positive contribution to each community you choose to visit.

If you're interested in traveling abroad, I suggest the Peace Corps.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    By the way, I had a friend of a friend join the Peace Corps in the 80s. He wanted to bring his guitar with him to his post and was told that he had to choose between having his guitar and having a bed......he chose the guitar.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    christ knows why you'd want to follow in his footsteps, the guy was a selfish moron.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I am 25 and have been having these EXACT feelings for about two years. Money and possessions mean nothing to me, but the new memories, experiences, lessons, encounters could shape me as a person, a better person and I long for that. I have no responsibilies, except a job which is replacable. I just want to go. I really want to go to all of the national parks and explore the shit outta them and then move on to the next destination. I feel that once you are in a relationship, these things can't happen. They are sorta viewed as reckless activities... That is unless you find someone that has that same passion in them.

Just go. You can't live life with regrets from the past.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    alright fuck it , I'll say it.

while I think the whole thing sounds like it would be great and oh the stories you could tell.....

I live in a place where it's just not an option, the place is called reality. I wanted to do this when I was your age, but didn't. Do I regret it ? Not one bit. Had I done it, I would have missed out on a lot of things that mean a lot to me now. I would not have the relationship that I have with my nephews, who make me smile, and more proud than anything I could have ever done in my own life. That is true joy. I would not have the connection that I have with my sister and bro-in-law that I have now had I just got up and left when I wanted to do this when I was 20ish. I also would not have been around for the last years of my mothers life. That would be a huge regret.

This life is not some fucking movie, I live in the really real world of responsibilty, love, and family and friends. All of which would not be what they are now had I left to "see the world".

ed says " there is a lot to be said for nowhere" that's great. I agree to a point.

I say, " there is a lot to be said for security" securtiy other than financial. secure family, secure friendships. If that makes me a part of the herd, a sheep.....

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ( translate from sheep speak to "so fucking be it" )
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Do it now, while you don't have the responsibilities of children or a career. I wish I would have enjoyed that time in my life more and appreciated the freedoms that went along with it. Not to say that having kids isn't amazing...but it's a grounded life. And It offers a different kind of satisfaction.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
    the wolf wrote:

while I think the whole thing sounds like it would be great and oh the stories you could tell.....

I live in a place where it's just not an option, the place is called reality. I wanted to do this when I was your age, but didn't. Do I regret it ? Not one bit. Had I done it, I would have missed out on a lot of things that mean a lot to me now. I would not have the relationship that I have with my nephews, who make me smile, and more proud than anything I could have ever done in my own life. That is true joy. I would not have the connection that I have with my sister and bro-in-law that I have now had I just got up and left when I wanted to do this when I was 20ish. I also would not have been around for the last years of my mothers life. That would be a huge regret.

This life is not some fucking movie, I live in the really real world of responsibilty, love, and family and friends. All of which would not be what they are now had I left to "see the world".

ed says " there is a lot to be said for nowhere" that's great. I agree to a point.

I say, " there is a lot to be said for security" securtiy other than financial. secure family, secure friendships. If that makes me a part of the herd, a sheep.....

:clap:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • DriftEdDriftEd Posts: 74
    the wolf wrote:

I couldnt agree more. McCandliss died and Im sure being a lover of Life in any capacity means that actually living is the most importanat thing. I learned to live being mindful of the present no matter what or where you are...always wishing to the future is not a good thing.
    I sometimes wonder if they know that I'm gone...
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    the wolf wrote:

I live in a place where it's just not an option, the place is called reality.

Yeah, I'm sorry. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I really agree with this sentiment. I think there is a lot to be said for some of the ideas McCandless embodied (i.e. shunning material wealth, getting to a place of simplicity and quiet, appreciating nature and man's place in it) but for all of the noble qualities he aspired to, dude had a lot of fucking problems. I think they have been pretty well covered here, so I won't rehash them.

I think aspiring to a life of simplicity and peace is a worthwhile and noble goal. I just think there are a lot better ways to go about that (i.e. Peace Corps as someone earlier mentioned...or hell, even a monastery or commune).
  • Ms. Wes C.addleMs. Wes C.addle Posts: 2,559
    edited March 2010
    Why can't people understand that not everyone wants the boring, monotonous, inadequate life that so many others have chosen? A bit ignorant?

Some people get off on routine, security, safety, unfulfilling relationships... Damn those that long for better, right?

I don't think not having a plan and disappearing from the world is wise, nor do I feel that the op wishes to that extreme. Doing things that Chris did is just being unprepared and plain stupid now. I think everyone is viewing it from the "let's move to fucking Alaska and live in the wilderness with next to nothing." I believe its the journey along the way and the relationships established that the op might be looking for and the freedom in it all. Not a death wish.
    Post edited by Ms. Wes C.addle on
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dude ... do it ... anyone on here who tells you not to or thinks mccandless was an idiot - doesn't understand what chris was about ... they probably have a wife and kids and a house and all the things that "society" told them they should have ...

it always should be about being true to yourself and who you are ... if that person wants to live a nomadic lifestyle for 1 week, 2 years or 50 years ... then you do it ...

if you live in the states - i think the best way is to get a car and camp ... there is BLM land everywhere where you can basically sleep for free ... find odd jobs in areas you want to spend more time ... forge relationships and learn from your experiences ... it'll be a wonderful thing ...
    Why can't people understand that not everyone wants the boring, monotonous, inadequate life that so many others have chosen? A bit ignorant?

Some people get off on routine, security, safety, unfulfilling relationships... Damn those that long for better, right?

I don't think not having a plan and disappearing from the world is wise, nor do I feel that the op wishes to that extreme. Doing things that Chris did is just being unprepared and plain stupid now. I think everyone is viewing it from the "let's move to fucking Alaska and live in the wilderness with next to nothing." I believe its the journey along the way and the relationships established that the op might be looking for and the freedom in it all. Not a death wish.

Rawr! You're feisty! :lol::lol::lol:

I see what you mean though. I think this is just a topic that hits close to home because, well, it has everything to do with the basics of how you choose to live your life. And as I've learned from being around so many people who have different viewpoints than me on fucking everything...sometimes you just have to agree to disagree. :)

But yeah, like you said...the relationships you establish along the way (whichever way that might be) are the key to everything.
    polaris_x wrote:
    dude ... do it ... anyone on here who tells you not to or thinks mccandless was an idiot - doesn't understand what chris was about ... they probably have a wife and kids and a house and all the things that "society" told them they should have ...

I do understand what he was about... selfishness.

He put his parents and his sister through untold mental anguish for a belief only he wanted to fulfill. The guy was an arrogant loser.

oh and by the way, i want a house, wife and kids because i do.. I want a family that i can love daily and a house I can see them grow up in... what i didnt fancy was causing my parents and my sisters to spend months worried about me because i decided it would be a good idea to go fucking mountain climbing in a pair of sandals. :thumbup:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dunkman wrote:

He put his parents and his sister through untold mental anguish for a belief only he wanted to fulfill. The guy was an arrogant loser.

oh and by the way, i want a house, wife and kids because i do.. I want a family that i can love daily and a house I can see them grow up in... what i didnt fancy was causing my parents and my sisters to spend months worried about me because i decided it would be a good idea to go fucking mountain climbing in a pair of sandals. :thumbup:

his sister understood what he was about ... he is selfish and an arrogant loser only in your eyes ... do you think that everyone who got to meet him think that way? ... i'm pretty sure not ...

he died because he got the wrong information from a field guide ... that is it ... who's to say where his life would be if he had gotten better information ... chance can play havoc in all our lives ... you can decide you want to goto a PJ show and die in a car crash ... are you selfish for wanting to go to a show and causing grief to your family?
  • I believe that I read the same thing as the next, but yet I must have missed the part where the op said that he hated his family and wanted to abandon all that he cares for and go die on a frozen mountain...

Bunch of ignorant fucks here this monday morning.

There is nothing wrong to want to experience new things or not living life by the norms of society...
    Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.... :?
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

And with these two statements aren't you just as guilty of ignorance as the people you're arguing against?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    dunkman wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

This guy gets it.
    I believe that I read the same thing as the next, but yet I must have missed the part where the op said that he hated his family and wanted to abandon all that he cares for and go die on a frozen mountain...

Bunch of ignorant fucks here this monday morning.

There is nothing wrong to want to experience new things or not living life by the norms of society...

well the thread should be entitled "should i spend 3 months hitch-hiking across America?"

not entitling it to some guy who 99.4% of people only heard about on here because Ed did the fucking soundtrack :D
  • cdp1223 wrote:
    Someone stole my flair... Lol
  • Rygar wrote:

And with these two statements aren't you just as guilty of ignorance as the people you're arguing against?
    Not when I can understand and relate to both sides... I think its called openminded.
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Someone stole my flair... Lol

Man, from the sounds of it, that person is in for a WORLD OF HURT! :lol:

/backs slowly out of thread....
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646

I don't think not having a plan and disappearing from the world is not wise, nor do I feel that the op wishes to that extreme. Doing things that Chris did is just being unprepared and plain stupid now. I think everyone is viewing it from the "let's move to fucking Alaska and live in the wilderness with next to nothing." I believe its the journey along the way and the relationships established that the op might be looking for and the freedom in it all. Not a death wish.

I completely echo your sentiments. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to live, yet it definitely feels like there is when talking to certain people. Relationships and experiences shape people and are invaluable. The problem is, you can't plan for them. Even if you say, "Fuck it, I'm quitting my job, packing up and doing some travelling," well, you're still going to be planning. You're still going to have expectations or notions of where you want to go and why, and also hopes and desires that can be left unfulfilled once there. But I feel you're closer to reaching your goals going that direction than the "other" way.

I also think the McCandless comparison is a bit of stretch, which brings me to:
    For me, being happy, would be great, but maybe more important is a story. how many people lived life to the fullest like chris did? How many people would hitchhike across america? I want to feel like, when I die, I wont have regrets.

How do you know if hitchhiking across America would remove all of your regrets? If that exact activity is a personal goal of yours, then I can understand. But if you're just searching for IT, how do you know this will be IT? Maybe your fulfillment lies elsewhere, maybe just around the corner from where you are now. I think the point is, is to never give-up your search for IT, and not necessarily let a book/movie/what someone else did influence you so greatly. You don't necessarily need to travel across the country for a great story to tell your grandkids...
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    polaris_x wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

his sister understood what he was about ... he is selfish and an arrogant loser only in your eyes ... do you think that everyone who got to meet him think that way? ... i'm pretty sure not ...

he died because he got the wrong information from a field guide ... that is it ... who's to say where his life would be if he had gotten better information ... chance can play havoc in all our lives ... you can decide you want to goto a PJ show and die in a car crash ... are you selfish for wanting to go to a show and causing grief to your family?

you must have read a different book than me? His sister understood to a point, but she had no idea where he was and spent a lot of time attempting to contact him.

I can only go by his eventual outcome and what he did prior to that, so I think ultimately he was a selfish moron who pretty much killed himself... i'm sure he touched many many lives of the people he met on his travels... shame he didnt spend as much time reassuring his own family of his wellbeing, but instead spent his time ensuring the guy who he worked with picking potatoes knew he was a swell guy.

me going to a PJ show via car might take me a day or two.. the guy fucked off for months on end and never informed his family... not even comparable in the selfish stakes amigo. :thumbup:
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Rygar wrote:

Not when I can understand and relate to both sides... I think its called openminded.
    Your opinion of what other people want doesn't make it fact - that isn't open mindedness. As IwasBit10 says above, there is no right or wrong way to live life - if you don't like what other people think that is fine, but it doesn't make you any righter than they are.
  • IwasBit10 wrote:

I don't think not having a plan and disappearing from the world is not wise, nor do I feel that the op wishes to that extreme. Doing things that Chris did is just being unprepared and plain stupid now. I think everyone is viewing it from the "let's move to fucking Alaska and live in the wilderness with next to nothing." I believe its the journey along the way and the relationships established that the op might be looking for and the freedom in it all. Not a death wish.

I completely echo your sentiments. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to live, yet it definitely feels like there is when talking to certain people. Relationships and experiences shape people and are invaluable. The problem is, you can't plan for them. Even if you say, "Fuck it, I'm quitting my job, packing up and doing some travelling," well, you're still going to be planning. You're still going to have expectations or notions of where you want to go and why, and also hopes and desires that can be left unfulfilled once there. But I feel you're closer to reaching your goals going that direction than the "other" way.

I also think the McCandless comparison is a bit of stretch, which brings me to:

How do you know if hitchhiking across America would remove all of your regrets? If that exact activity is a personal goal of yours, then I can understand. But if you're just searching for IT, how do you know this will be IT? Maybe your fulfillment lies elsewhere, maybe just around the corner from where you are now. I think the point is, is to never give-up your search for IT, and not necessarily let a book/movie/what someone else did influence you so greatly. You don't necessarily need to travel across the country for a great story to tell your grandkids...
    Agreed... Completely. Us wisconsin people are fucking brilliant, yeah? Lol
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    dunkman wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

you must have read a different book than me? His sister understood to a point, but she had no idea where he was and spent a lot of time attempting to contact him.

I can only go by his eventual outcome and what he did prior to that, so I think ultimately he was a selfish moron who pretty much killed himself... i'm sure he touched many many lives of the people he met on his travels... shame he didnt spend as much time reassuring his own family of his wellbeing, but instead spent his time ensuring the guy who he worked with picking potatoes knew he was a swell guy.

me going to a PJ show via car might take me a day or two.. the guy fucked off for months on end and never informed his family... not even comparable in the selfish stakes amigo. :thumbup:

I dont know the whole story, but I assumed that Chris M. didnt really know that his sister was trying so hard to contact him. and if his whole priority was to escape from his parents for a period of time, then being in contact with his sister might have made him not feel "on his own" from the whole family and his life that was weighing him down.
    I do diasgree with how Chris handled himself, but I can see how time might have got away from him. I mean, the guy didnt die on purpose for godsake, he intended on coming back at some point! calling him selfish is ridiculous in my opinion. he was young, and had he come back, maybe his parents wouldnt have railroaded him into tryinbg to live life 'their way', and appreciated his individuality.

yes, he made a big mistake and people around him suffered, but it was a mistake.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)