Crazy Baby Names

124»

Comments

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Names go in and out of style so it's to be expected that someone will end up with a name that sounds funny to other kids. Or things get inadvertently funny, like a mom who named her twins Mark and Mindy the year before the show came out. What bugs me is people who don't try saying the kid's name out loud and hearing how bad it sounds (Wayne Carr) or deliberately come up with something off the wall (Omegasupreme) or change the spelling to be different (Jorja for Georgia). :roll:

I genuinely think that my partners parents didn't realise the implications of Wayne Carr as they are pretty straight and probably didn't use that word 30 years ago. But man it is funny!!! :lol:

I think that you'll find that Jorja is the European way of spelling Georgia just like Jorge for male. But I totally agree that names should be spelt properly for the sake of not having to always spell it out. My son's name is Hunter and in the birth notices not long after he was born I noticed another though it was spelt Huntah! Yuck!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    What about the case in New Zealand last year where a 9 year old girl won the right to change her name from:
    'Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii'
    yep, that was her name.

Other names that were blocked by the courts decision were:
    Fish and Chips
    Yeah Detroit
    Keenan Got Lucy
    Sex Fruit

Surprisingly, names such as Bus Shelter, Midnight Chardonnay and Violence were allowed.
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    in the 70's, my parents met a couple whose last name was white...they were a bit on the hippyer side of life

they named their daughter snow white and the seven dwarfts white...not kidding...when the parents called to her in the backyard, it was "snow white and seven dwarfs"

wish i was kidding
  • Shammgod.jpg
    god shammgod. gotta be the strangest name i've heard of.

being a red wings fan, the coolest name i've heard comes from a family in detroit that named their newborn son joe louis, and their last name was arena.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • Red_Dot wrote:
    What about the case in New Zealand last year where a 9 year old girl won the right to change her name from:
    yep, that was her name.

Fish and Chips
    Yeah Detroit
    Keenan Got Lucy
    Sex Fruit

Surprisingly, names such as Bus Shelter, Midnight Chardonnay and Violence were allowed.

Your government tells parents what they can and cannot name their children?!?!?!
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Red_Dot wrote:
    yep, that was her name.

Fish and Chips
    Yeah Detroit
    Keenan Got Lucy
    Sex Fruit

Your government tells parents what they can and cannot name their children?!?!?!
    Thank goodness that they do! People shouldn't be able to name their kids whatever they want. People are strange and can come up with stuff that will be very damaging!
    Save room for dessert!
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Red_Dot wrote:
    yep, that was her name.

Fish and Chips
    Yeah Detroit
    Keenan Got Lucy
    Sex Fruit

We have that too. In the sense that you can't just name your child anything. I think it makes sense cause, as we've noticed, people will come up with some ridiculous names. :|

It's not like there's a specified list of acceptable names that parents must choose from or anything. :D But there are some rules regarding naming your child. Such as: you can't give a boy a girl's name and vice versa.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,418
    samjam wrote:
    My friend's sister's acquaintance or something from college was named Le-Ah
    Pronounced: Le-dash-uh :lol::lol:

Also my mom's ex's cousin down the line named his kid Fudgie. I don't think it was a nickname either...

The dash don't be silent!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    One of my wife's cousins named their daughter "Lyric." Definitely the first time I heard a child named that.
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    i dont know if these would be listed under 'Crazy Baby Names' however, these seem to stand out for me..

Liberty
    Heaven
    Harley and Storm ( sisters)
    Precious
    Love
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Red_Dot wrote:
    yep, that was her name.

Fish and Chips
    Yeah Detroit
    Keenan Got Lucy
    Sex Fruit

Yeah thankfully they do, it's mostly to weed out any offensive names.

I remember seeing on the news about 'Talula does the hula in Hawaii'! some parents are idiots! Talula on its own is quite pretty but what the hell were they thinking?!?
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Red_Dot wrote:
    yep, that was her name.

Fish and Chips
    Yeah Detroit
    Keenan Got Lucy
    Sex Fruit

It's not my government, but yeah, when you submit for a birth certificate they can block names that are swear words or are just ridiculous.
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    just saw a woman on tv with the name...

Eastasia

:crazy:
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    My daughter goes to day care with a girl named "Mahogany". :o:lol:
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    norm wrote:
    just saw a woman on tv with the name...