Crazy Baby Names

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    My sister had a knack for naming her kids not the strangest names, but definitely not bland ones.

Damian
    Melece
    Ashton
    Aiden
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    My cousin named his boy Xander.....had never heard that one before

I know a kid with that name. It's like German or Dutch or something. Not weird, just foreign.

I had a job consulting to school districts and working with student databases from all over the country...I don't think there's a name that could possibly surprise me after that.
    Another set of twins named Alpha and Omega
    L'Atrocious (also a girl)

Haha ok, two of the student names I saw were:
    Omegasupreme (followed by some equally ridiculous middle name) and
    I'Rule ( yes, "I Rule").
  • I forgot to mention parents who name their kids after alcohol drinks.

I watched a PBS documentary about a foster child named "Corvoursier."

My brother in law is a Social Worker for pre-teen public school kids. He was in court with a family that had six kids called Brandy, Champagne, and so on (I don't remember them all.)
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    Richard Head, not kidding
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • I have a friend who's a primary school teacher... he's had a few choice children's names in his classes over the years:

A child called Kunt, pronounced Bernard. The parents were illiterate and asked a 'friend' to write Bernard down for them and he thought it would be funny to spell it Kunt. The parents went and registered the name not knowing any better.

Another child with a name pronounced Femily. The parents saw it on another childs cot at the hospital and liked it... it's spelt 'Female'.

Also, my Dad used to teach a girl called Hayleigh Kayleigh Bailey.

Finally, there was also a case here in the UK that was actually quite shocking: Some parents went to their local ASDA store to get a birthday cake for their child. When asked what name they would like icing on the cake their reponse prompted the staff at ASDA to call the authorities... the child was called Adolf Hitler (plus surname). The parents were white supremacists and had successfully registered the name when he was born.

Children's names are getting stupid over here and the quicker it's stopped, the better IMO.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838

Finally, there was also a case here in the UK that was actually quite shocking: Some parents went to their local ASDA store to get a birthday cake for their child. When asked what name they would like icing on the cake their reponse prompted the staff at ASDA to call the authorities... the child was called Adolf Hitler (plus surname). The parents were white supremacists and had successfully registered the name when he was born.

I'm sure I've heard this story before and it was a shop in the States ... heads to google :?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468250,00.html

Just wanted to check whether that name had been registered over here Sian :shock:

Their other kids :roll:

JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell
    Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I knew a girl called Rosy. Her surname was Apple.

I love it when you hear a fat chav calling her daughter Chantelle.

I agree with the others that say Jesus is popular amongst Spanish speakers. They also pronounce it Hayzoose.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014

Also, my Dad used to teach a girl called Hayleigh Kayleigh Bailey.

Children's names are getting stupid over here and the quicker it's stopped, the better IMO.

Never seen Hayley spelt like that. :?

Ve haf vays of making him enjoy his birfday.

Agreed it's time to stop these stupid names but it won't. The world is full of Richard Heads.
  • so... what does everyone think of "Lake?" That is my boy's name. not "crazy" but my parents were not too keen on it at first. It won't hurt my feelings if somebody doesnt' like it...

me and him rockin' the uke...

lakerocksout.jpg
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    if I ever have twin boys I told my wife I am naming them Tomax and Xamot..
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • so... what does everyone think of "Lake?" That is my boy's name. not "crazy" but my parents were not too keen on it at first. It won't hurt my feelings if somebody doesnt' like it...

lakerocksout.jpg

I actually quite like Lake although i'd probably give it to my child as a middle name.

Uber cute picture btw :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    so... what does everyone think of "Lake?" That is my boy's name. not "crazy" but my parents were not too keen on it at first. It won't hurt my feelings if somebody doesnt' like it...

lakerocksout.jpg

Cute lil' thing. Lake... hippy name! Like River, Storm, etc.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure you have put in a lot of thought in the name and it means something to you.

To be honest, unless the name is offensive, who are we to judge? Kids get made fun of, if it's bad enough, they choose another name. I have a friend who was named Sunshine (yep... hippy mother and father). When she was very little she was telling people she wanted them to call her Elizabeth and was refusing to respond to her name (because other kids giggled at it). Once 'of age' she legally changed her name to Elizabeth, though keeping Sunshine as a middle name.
  • redrock wrote:
    so... what does everyone think of "Lake?" That is my boy's name. not "crazy" but my parents were not too keen on it at first. It won't hurt my feelings if somebody doesnt' like it...

lakerocksout.jpg

Cute lil' thing. Lake... hippy name! Like River, Storm, etc.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure you have put in a lot of thought in the name and it means something to you.

To be honest, unless the name is offensive, who are we to judge? Kids get made fun of, if it's bad enough, they choose another name. I have a friend who was named Sunshine (yep... hippy mother and father). When she was very little she was telling people she wanted them to call her Elizabeth and was refusing to respond to her name (because other kids giggled at it). Once 'of age' she legally changed her name to Elizabeth, though keeping Sunshine as a middle name.

I have no problem with people expressing their individuality through their children's names. I actually quite like natural names like Lake, Stone, Sunshine, Star etc. It's names like Adolf Hitler, Martini, Bernard (with a K) and Princess Tiiammi (sp?) that I have a problem with. I don't think it's fair to the children who have to grow up with it, soem kids aren't ballsy enough to tell people to call the something different... and other kids are too cruel to call them something different even if they do try to change it.

Chime was absolutely right btw, it was in the US that the kid was called Adolf Hitler. I couldn't recall properly and as ASDA and Walmart are the same thing nowadays, I figured it didn't make much difference ;)

[...soem kids aren't ballsy enough to tell people to call the something different... and other kids are too cruel to call them something different even if they do try to change it. ;)
    True.

I never liked my name when I was a kid. In books, my name was often given to cows!
  • redrock wrote:
    [...soem kids aren't ballsy enough to tell people to call the something different... and other kids are too cruel to call them something different even if they do try to change it. ;)
    True.

I never liked my name when I was a kid. In books, my name was often given to cows!

You wanna try having my name! As soon as the idiots in school got hold of my middle name, I was bully fodder :roll:

You wanna try having my name! As soon as the idiots in school got hold of my middle name, I was bully fodder :roll:

What is it? ;) You tell me, I'll tell you mine!
  • redrock wrote:

Siân Verity Ann __________

'Ferrity' was the bully's favourite. :roll:

• If my mom had her way I would have been named "Gaylan". It's a fine name to be sure, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Parents just don't understand.
    My best friend's dad is named Gaylon....his dad is Nallon though it is pronounced more like Nylon
    My grandmother's name was Guyselle
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    redrock wrote:

:roll: Trust kids!
  • redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:

:roll: Trust kids!

Indeed.

Spill! :twisted:

• HOW COULD I FORGET!!!!
    My dad is named Grover after his dad.
    I am told that my mom suggested I be Grover III but he told her she was crazy as hell. I grew up thinking Grover on Sesame Street was created in honor of my dad. In order to avoid any confusion though my grandmother called my dad Joe....apparently just a random name pulled out of the air with no family relevance or anything and he doesn't even have a middle name.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Traditional french catholic family naming....

Marguerite (my godmother)
    Marie (for the virgin Mary because I'm a girl)
    Renee (feminine version of my godfather's name which is Rene)

Needless to say, I kept my daughter's middle names to a minimum - one!
  • redrock wrote:
    Traditional french catholic family naming....

Marguerite (my godmother)
    Marie (for the virgin Mary because I'm a girl)
    Renee (feminine version of my godfather's name which is Rene)

Ohhh I like it! I love Marie :D I can see why though, if you did suffer with it. Mine's a traditional Welsh name... I wouldn't mind but there isn't an ounce of Welsh in me! :roll:

We may have already decided childrens names... we may not... :shh: ;)
    HOW COULD I FORGET!!!!
    I am told that my mom suggested I be Grover III but he told her she was crazy as hell. I grew up thinking Grover on Sesame Street was created in honor of my dad. In order to avoid any confusion though my grandmother called my dad Joe....apparently just a random name pulled out of the air with no family relevance or anything and he doesn't even have a middle name.

I like Grover! and I didn't even make a Sesame Street connection! :thumbup:

We may have already decided childrens names... we may not... :shh: ;)
    ooOOoo... secrets :mrgreen:

For G, we had to find a name that was OK in french and english! Even with her name, some people still pronounce it like the male version or, for some mysterious reason, put a 'A' at the end
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    redrock wrote:

Not quite the minimum ;) ... I have none :P

... although as a 4-5 year old I didn't realise other people had more than one name so if people asked me what my middle name was I thought it was some kind of game and would just say whatever happened to be my favourite name at the time ... I just thought it was a name you could pick and choose :oops: :lol:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • chime wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Not quite the minimum ;) ... I have none :P

... although as a 4-5 year old I didn't realise other people had more than one name so if people asked me what my middle name was I thought it was some kind of game and would just say whatever happened to be my favourite name at the time ... I just thought it was a name you could pick and choose :oops: :lol:

That would be brilliant though, wouldn't it?

I could be Bernard one day and Valarie the next... maybe even Thadius if i'm feeling fruity ;)

[quo

That would be brilliant though, wouldn't it?

I could be Bernard one day and Valarie the next... maybe even Thadius if i'm feeling fruity ;)

G used to do that when she was little. Decide her name was something different for the day and not respond until we guessed the name! Needless to say that didn't last very long and she quickly understood that she had the choice of her first or middle name!
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    HOW COULD I FORGET!!!!

My great uncle's name was Grover Cleveland !! Somehow we called him Goag.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Joe Louis Arena
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

lakerocksout.jpg
    I think Lake is a nice name. I've come across it twice before, both with girls, but it's not like it's a feminine or masculine name!
    One of the girls named Lake was the daughter of a couple who founded a local theater group. They are hippies and named her because they were living at a lake house when she was born. Their other daughter was named Lorca, after the Spanish writer.

I used to know a guy named Grover but he went by his middle name, Mike. We teased him a lot. :oops:

Names go in and out of style so it's to be expected that someone will end up with a name that sounds funny to other kids. Or things get inadvertently funny, like a mom who named her twins Mark and Mindy the year before the show came out. What bugs me is people who don't try saying the kid's name out loud and hearing how bad it sounds (Wayne Carr) or deliberately come up with something off the wall (Omegasupreme) or change the spelling to be different (Jorja for Georgia). :roll:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."