*THE 2010, 2012, and 2014 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS*

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    The Fixer wrote:

you could argue that the dodgers lineup is better than the giants. the giants rotation is better, but the dodgers isn't too far behind. don't sleep on LA this year.

I'm curious...how many games do you guys think the giants win this year? you guys seem awfully confident. for the record I think the phils win 95 games with utley for even half the season. without him for the year I'll say 90 (meaning they're in deep shit)
    a true giants fan can never even acknowledge the d**gers, much less their relavency.

I'll hope for another year like last - 92 wins, with most of them coming when it matters most.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:

the d**gers

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    imalive wrote:
    lastexit78 wrote:

I really think we turned the corner last October/November. I'm sure many Red Sox fans had the same pessimistic attitude after 2004. Yet they were on top again in '07. Or Patriots fans after their fluke run of '01. Or even Niners fans after the '81 season. Sometimes a franchise just comes of age. I'm sure they'll be more heartbreaks, that's a given. But if this current group stays healthy and Sabean spends wisely I think we'll see at least one more World Series appearance in the next five years. Who's going to stop us? The Phillies will be a threat for another season or two but they're not getting any younger. Our division is good but has no big time threats and the Central is mediocre, especially if Pujols bolts for big money in the A.L. following this season.

I hope you're right :mrgreen:

damn, the giants just keep winning in AZ. I'm almost hoping they'll lose a few and save some of these wins for the regular season :shock:

First off, spring training means absolutely nothing unless someone's hurt.

It's good to be jaded by your team and all, but fluke run of the '01 Pats - umm, what? That was the start of a dynasty. Red Sox are a brand. They have money to play with. I wouldn't say SF is either of these.

Who's going to stop you? Colorado will damn sure give you a run for your money(I think they win the division), San Diego is making wise moves, LA - if they can get their shit together financially - will always have a chance to be a player, and Arizona & Towers are making identical moves to SF. It's funny how one championship makes people get ginormous heads - ala Philly in '08(but we're like this in everything though - because in all reality, we just are that fucking awesome), Boston in '04, New York in...all the time.

For some reason your organization doesn't think it has the wherewithall to expand its payroll exponentially - even though SF is a damn big metro area.

Phillies will only be in it a couple more years? :lol: ....Rrrrright.

First off the '01 Pats were a fluke. I rooted for them the whole way but Oakland essentially beat them minus a ridiculous rule and the Rams completely took the Super Bowl for granted. Find me a football fan or even a Pats fan that saw a dynasty coming? They didn't even make the playoffs the following season in '02.

You think San Diego is making wise moves? Dealing your best player isn't a wise move. It's a move by a franchise that has no fan base and no money. They are a complete non factor in my book. Colorado looks nice on paper but they've proven to be an inconsistent team over the years. They get hot one or two months a season. Their ballpark will always play mental games with their pitchers. The Dodgers are the real threat. If Kemp, Loney & Eithier perform they could be legit. Although their bullpen stinks, for some reason when comparing our staff to theirs that gets overlooked. Bullpen performance is huge, just ask the Phillies of '09. As for those Phillies what makes you think they are going to be good for more than a few seasons? Halladay and Oswalt will be 34 this season and Lee 33. Hamels is inconsistent from season to season and the bullpen is depending on a 34 year old Lidge who's also inconsistent. I love Rollins but he'll never be the player he was at 28 or 29 again. Utley is a stud and Howard while a great slugger is worth nowhere near $25 million per season. Plus him and Utley are always hurt. Bottom line, add three years to all the guys I just mentioned and imagine what that team will look like opening day 2014. Also if you think ownership is going to sustain a $140 million dollar payroll your kidding yourself. This is the same ownership group who last winter was too cheap to keep Lee to go with Halladay. As soon as that team slips they'll start dealing guys faster than you can imagine.

As for the Giants I see us between 90-95 wins. The team is young and will with good health be a force for a while. We've got a load of guys under 28 who are impact players and plenty more on the way. Our San Jose Single A team has dominated it's league the past 3 seasons and as baseball fans know that's a big deal. As for ownership not wanting expand payroll, they paid for an entire ballpark themselves! Which includes a $20 million a year loan payment. Rather than stiffing the city like most other teams have done they were creative and actually did it without public financing. Yet another reason this franchise deserves respect.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    imalive wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

you could argue that the dodgers lineup is better than the giants. the giants rotation is better, but the dodgers isn't too far behind. don't sleep on LA this year.

I'm curious...how many games do you guys think the giants win this year? you guys seem awfully confident. for the record I think the phils win 95 games with utley for even half the season. without him for the year I'll say 90 (meaning they're in deep shit)
    a true giants fan can never even acknowledge the d**gers, much less their relavency.

I'll hope for another year like last - 92 wins, with most of them coming when it matters most.

I understand the giant/dodger rivalry...I just think you guys are taking the dodgers for granted (not that it really means anything since none of us are playing these games).

to whoever said the LA rotation is the same as last year...well, it's not. They have lilly for the entire year this year. kuroda is a pretty damn good #4 starter.

the giants got hot at the right time last year and rode that momentum to a WS win. I just think they will have a tough time sustaining that success into 2011. Their pitching will keep them in it, but I think they're gonna struggle to get into the playoffs again.

should be a fun year...can't wait for the season to start
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    lastexit78 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    I hope you're right :mrgreen:

damn, the giants just keep winning in AZ. I'm almost hoping they'll lose a few and save some of these wins for the regular season :shock:

First off, spring training means absolutely nothing unless someone's hurt.

It's good to be jaded by your team and all, but fluke run of the '01 Pats - umm, what? That was the start of a dynasty. Red Sox are a brand. They have money to play with. I wouldn't say SF is either of these.

Who's going to stop you? Colorado will damn sure give you a run for your money(I think they win the division), San Diego is making wise moves, LA - if they can get their shit together financially - will always have a chance to be a player, and Arizona & Towers are making identical moves to SF. It's funny how one championship makes people get ginormous heads - ala Philly in '08(but we're like this in everything though - because in all reality, we just are that fucking awesome), Boston in '04, New York in...all the time.

For some reason your organization doesn't think it has the wherewithall to expand its payroll exponentially - even though SF is a damn big metro area.

Phillies will only be in it a couple more years? :lol: ....Rrrrright.

First off the '01 Pats were a fluke. I rooted for them the whole way but Oakland essentially beat them minus a ridiculous rule and the Rams completely took the Super Bowl for granted. Find me a football fan or even a Pats fan that saw a dynasty coming? They didn't even make the playoffs the following season in '02.

You think San Diego is making wise moves? Dealing your best player isn't a wise move. It's a move by a franchise that has no fan base and no money. They are a complete non factor in my book. Colorado looks nice on paper but they've proven to be an inconsistent team over the years. They get hot one or two months a season. Their ballpark will always play mental games with their pitchers. The Dodgers are the real threat. If Kemp, Loney & Eithier perform they could be legit. Although their bullpen stinks, for some reason when comparing our staff to theirs that gets overlooked. Bullpen performance is huge, just ask the Phillies of '09. As for those Phillies what makes you think they are going to be good for more than a few seasons? Halladay and Oswalt will be 34 this season and Lee 33. Hamels is inconsistent from season to season and the bullpen is depending on a 34 year old Lidge who's also inconsistent. I love Rollins but he'll never be the player he was at 28 or 29 again. Utley is a stud and Howard while a great slugger is worth nowhere near $25 million per season. Plus him and Utley are always hurt. Bottom line, add three years to all the guys I just mentioned and imagine what that team will look like opening day 2014. Also if you think ownership is going to sustain a $140 million dollar payroll your kidding yourself. This is the same ownership group who last winter was too cheap to keep Lee to go with Halladay. As soon as that team slips they'll start dealing guys faster than you can imagine.

As for the Giants I see us between 90-95 wins. The team is young and will with good health be a force for a while. We've got a load of guys under 28 who are impact players and plenty more on the way. Our San Jose Single A team has dominated it's league the past 3 seasons and as baseball fans know that's a big deal. As for ownership not wanting expand payroll, they paid for an entire ballpark themselves! Which includes a $20 million a year loan payment. Rather than stiffing the city like most other teams have done they were creative and actually did it without public financing. Yet another reason this franchise deserves respect.

funny that you tout the giants farm system and fail to include that the phils farm system is genearlly ranked in the top 5 in baseball, which makes it superior to the giants, who are generally ranked in the bottom half of MLB (keith law has them 23rd, even with belt in the minors). Fact is that the giants minor leagues have two, maybe three legit prospects right now (brandon belt and zach wheeler...maybe gary brown).

Hamels is inconsistent? OK. Not sure where you got that from.

the phils can sustain a payroll of $140 million per year. Philly is one of the 5 largest media markets in the country and the phils sell out every game. They practically print their own money. The phils have an aging roster, but they have the prospects and the financial resources to be good for a long time.

who gives a shit how the stadium was funded? as a fan I want my team to spend money.

anyway, I'm not trying to turn this into a giants vs phils thread (as a phils fan I could care less about the giants...I just like talking baseball). I just think the giant fanbase is a little too confident going into 2011...especially with their current lineup
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    The Fixer wrote:

anyway, I'm not trying to turn this into a giants vs phils thread (as a phils fan I could care less about the giants...I just like talking baseball). I just think the giant fanbase is a little too confident going into 2011...especially with their current lineup

Exactly. Nothing wrong with boasting, but - and I thought we were bad after '08 and Boston in '04 - SF I think takes the cake. I'm on the east coast and any comment I EVER seen made from a SF fan on anything is if their team is Superman. It's hilarious - mostly because I know what it was like to be in that situation - but it's funny how SF fans twist things to make sense to themselves. Not like they ever used this same mindset with Bonds or anything....

Like above, I could really care less about the Giants - we play them 6 times this season.(which is all they will see of us in the regular or post-season - what, with you guys not going to be making playoffs and all. ;) :thumbup: )
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    The Phillies' A team Lakewood won the South Atlantic league the last 2 years and was loaded with talent, which will be playing in Clearwater this year. That's your 2014 Phillies. Personally I can't wait to see them!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    How is predicting 90-95 wins boasting? The team is clearly capable of winning that many games. They have the best young rotation in baseball. It's not like anybody here is saying they're a lock to win the World Series.

As for the Phillies aging it's just a fact. The Giants have PROVEN young players. Yes our minor league system is not top 10 but that's because Posey, Madison etc are already in the majors. To think the Phillies minor league system can replace the current group and keep winning at the same clip is a fantasy. Especially without Kyle Drabek in the mix. Your window to win it all is likely the next two seasons.

Cole Hamels is not inconsistent? Were you sleeping for the 2009 season when his poor performance pretty much cost you guys another World Series? The guy was terrible, especially in the playoffs.

I'm not even sure how this thread turned into a Giants vs Phillies debate. Perhaps because Phillies fans can't let the NLCS go? I've never once even browsed the Phillies thread, don't even know if there is one. I actually like the current Phillies. Was bummed when you guys lost to the Yankees in '09. I like having a truly elite team in the NL for a change. Makes it a lot sweeter if you can knock that team out like we did last season. Wouldn't have felt nearly as good had we beaten Cincy or some other mediocre team.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    Giants young and talented w/good veterans to lead them, Phillies old getting older, Giants will beat the Red Sox in the 2011 World Series, and part of this years run will have them beating Philly again.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
    shit, I'm heading out the door. I'll have to read all this philly crap ^^^^ later :lol:

I'll get back to you guys on that.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Saw a commercial yesterday for the Showtime all access show, a Season with the Giants ... got a feeling it's going to be the Brian Wilson show. Well, that is, if he's not on the DL to start the season.

Oh, and here is this ... Tim Lincecum's diet ... :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring201 ... id=6227150
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:
    Saw a commercial yesterday for the Showtime all access show, a Season with the Giants ... got a feeling it's going to be the Brian Wilson show. Well, that is, if he's not on the DL to start the season.

Oh, and here is this ... Tim Lincecum's diet ... :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring201 ... id=6227150

Gotta love the In n Out Burger! Blows everything else out of the water. I'll have to look up that commercial, thanks.
    Gotta love the In n Out Burger! Blows everything else out of the water. I'll have to look up that commercial, thanks.

I still contend In and Out is overrated ... but, to each their own.

The commercial ... what else would you expect, Brian Wilson on the golf course in a bright orange jump suit like he's on a prison work release ... :D

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez

Exactly. Nothing wrong with boasting, but - and I thought we were bad after '08 and Boston in '04 - SF I think takes the cake. I'm on the east coast and any comment I EVER seen made from a SF fan on anything is if their team is Superman. It's hilarious - mostly because I know what it was like to be in that situation - but it's funny how SF fans twist things to make sense to themselves. Not like they ever used this same mindset with Bonds or anything....
    not me, dude. I'm a lifelong Giants fan, so it's all pretty much doom and gloom for me....until it's not....like last year :mrgreen:

speaking of doom and gloom....cain got hit hard yesterday, cody got hurt, wilson couldn't pitch and, in court, some guy said barry knowingly took steroids :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I'm really looking forward to April and my addiction.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
    Giants are done. Hit the panic button! :lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Let's go Giants!! Let's sweep LA this weekend! :)
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    Got my Epic 825 Stout in the fridge chillin for tonights game!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • I think Belt is going to be an awesome addition. He's starting at 1st base tonight! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    jesus....I don't know if I can take the pressure of being defending WS champs :shifty:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    jesus....I don't know if I can take the pressure of being defending WS champs :shifty:

Yeah, this is not familiar territory. It will be a lot of fun talking shit to the Dodger fans all year long though! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    imalive wrote:

Yeah, this is not familiar territory. It will be a lot of fun talking shit to the Dodger fans all year long though! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    I try not to talk to d**ger fans :problem:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I try not to talk to d**ger fans :problem:
    Why???????????????
    In my experience, we are WAY nicer than Giants fans. :mrgreen:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    So ... what happens tongiht when the Dodgers fans give the first ....

UUUUUUUUU - RIIIIIIIIIIBE

chant at Chavez Ravine?

I guess with a world championship ... probably doesn't really piss Giants fans off too much that he's there. I will miss the chant @ AT&T though.

I snapped up Brandon Belt very late in my deep keeper league this past weekend ... fucker went and made the team!

My guess, he'll start off slow and be in AAA by May. He'll be good, but, it's too soon. Hope I'm wrong.

• Tough loss tonight. We'll just have to win the next 3 ;)
  • Gotta love Do**er stadium and these people that cheer for the Do**ers... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles police are looking for two men who beat and critically injured a San Francisco Giants fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot after the opening day game.

Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg says two men in Dodgers clothing followed three men in Giants gear as they walked to their car after Thursday night's 2-1 Dodger victory.

Rosenberg says the attackers yelled slurs against the Giants and began kicking and punching the men.

One victim suffered a head injury and was hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

Rosenberg says the injury is not life-threatening.

"It is extremely unfortunate that this incident took place on what was otherwise a great day at Dodger Stadium for tens of thousands of fans," the Dodgers said in a statement. "We're committed to having the most fan and family friendly environment in baseball and will continue to make that a top priority. We are cooperating fully with authorities during their investigation and we wish this fan a speedy recovery."

Investigators don't have the identities of the suspects and are asking anyone with information on the attack to call police.
    Gotta love Do**er stadium and these people that cheer for the Do**ers... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles police are looking for two men who beat and critically injured a San Francisco Giants fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot after the opening day game.

Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg says two men in Dodgers clothing followed three men in Giants gear as they walked to their car after Thursday night's 2-1 Dodger victory.

Rosenberg says the attackers yelled slurs against the Giants and began kicking and punching the men.

One victim suffered a head injury and was hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

Rosenberg says the injury is not life-threatening.

"It is extremely unfortunate that this incident took place on what was otherwise a great day at Dodger Stadium for tens of thousands of fans," the Dodgers said in a statement. "We're committed to having the most fan and family friendly environment in baseball and will continue to make that a top priority. We are cooperating fully with authorities during their investigation and we wish this fan a speedy recovery."

Investigators don't have the identities of the suspects and are asking anyone with information on the attack to call police.
    Lizard wrote:
    Why???????????????
    In my experience, we are WAY nicer than Giants fans. :mrgreen:
    yeah, fuck a bunch of d**ger fans :evil:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    there's this, too, from ESPN the Magazine:

The Justice Department says there are chapters of Crips in 221 cities in 41 states. Most of them, plus other crews such as the Latin Aspects and the clearly hat-obsessive Gangster Disciples, wear Dodger blue, making this the gang world's most popular headgear.

yeah, really a team to root for...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Sooo, the Phillies and Rangers get an opening series at home and the Giants have 7 games on the road?!? What is that shit?!??
  • Really liked that swing from Brandon Belt. Just curious is he here as a replacement for Cody Ross until his DL stint is over or are they planning on him all season (assuming he hits well).
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."