The most random celebrity you've met or have seen

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Back in the early 80s I was a kid of around 8 or 9 years old. I was with my parents at a seafood restaurant in Santa Monica. I remember seeing Jack Klugman of "Quincy M.E." fame. Do I get a cookie? If so, I prefer Chewy Chips Ahoy!!!
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I sat next to Charles Barkley on a flight from Phoenix to Las Vegas. I fly so often for business (or used to, anyway) that I was automatically upgraded to 1st class sometimes. I'm glad I didn't have to sit next to him in coach... he is a BIG man. Funny and smart guy, too. I didn't ask for an autograph or anything, just shot the shit for a few minutes then left him alone.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • bagged groceries for kelly preston as well as frank black
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,756
    Saw Mike Tyson strolling through Vegas airport At about 3am.Rode in an elevator with Max Gale(sp?) from Barney Miller. Saw Rod Stewart cross the street in front of my moms car. And was in an AA meeting with someone famous. Only right to preserve their anonymity.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • although it is to be expected he would be there, it was the casualness of it that sort of shocked me. Adrien Grenier's band was playing a gig at a local music venue, literally feet from my apartment. As I volunteer at said music venue, I stopped in the main office, and there was Adrien Grenier, eating a bag of doritos and just hanging out, in this cramped office space.
  • my brother gets all the cool celebrity encounters. he sat next to Hulk Hogan on a roller coaster in Florida and had lunch with Morgan Freeman in MS. completely random.

i waited on Brett Favre once. he could have thrown me a better tip! i know youre loaded Favre!
  • When I was a kid I was on the tram car on the Wildwood boardwalk and Oscar, the manager of WWF tag team Men On a Mission, hopped on with my family. I was excited beyond belief.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i met wrestling legend mick foley at my local home depot 3 times back when i was 16. 3rd encounter he was in infront of me and my dad at the checkout lane. it was cool to talk bout his old ecw days and the famous hell in a cell match with the undertaker. during the middle of the convo he asked if i had any change cause he was short bout 55 cents on his items. we continued the convo back to our cars.

nicest celebrity I've ever come across
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Not counting ones related to my job, I was in an elevator with Bob Balaban, from "Best In Show" and "Waiting for Guffman" he talked to me about Jamba Juice, and crossed Madison Ave. once with Rip Torn. And after the 10/31 Spectrum show talked baseball with Tim Kirkjian outside the holiday inn.
    Uniondale - Apr 30, 2003 Camden - Jul 06, 2003 Holmdel - Jul 14, 2003 Boston - Sep 28, 2004 Montreal - Sep 15, 2005 Philly - Oct 03, 2005 East Rutherford Jun 03, 2006 MSG - Jun 24-25 2008 Philly Oct 27-31, 2009 Newark - May 18, 2010 MSG - May 20-21, 2010
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3-4, 2011 Philly - Sept 2, 2012 Brooklyn - Oct 18-19, 2013 Philly - Oct 21-22, 2013 LA - Nov 23-24, 2013 New York -Sept 26, 2015 Fort Lauderdale - Apr 8, 2016 Miami - Apr 9, 2016 Philly - Apr 28-29, 2016 MSG - May 1-2, 2016 Fenway - Aug 5-7, 2016
    Brooklyn - Apr 7, 2017 Fenway - Sept 3-4, 2018 

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Rudy Tomjanovich (he used to coach the Houston Rockets). we were out in Houston celebrating a friends bday at a bar. (this was about 5 years after they won back to back titles in Houston) i went up to him & just said thanks for doing such a great job while on my way to buy another round. he was BOMBED!! haha. he grabbed a napkin & asked me my name & signed an autograph. he then told the bartender to put all of our drinks on HIS tab!! pretty damned cool.

i also met Craig Biggio & Jeff Bagwell (of the Astros) at church when i was in high school. my mom & i arrived late, so we had to stand in the back. i turned around to pass the plate & there they were. my eyes went huge (i'm a diehard Astros fan) & Biggio said they'd be willing to chat for a few after the service. and we did!! they signed a church newsletter for me. super nice guys.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I met Wayne Newton in 1998 at a Dunkin Donuts on the South Shore in MA. Apparently he was doing a gig down the road. I wouldn't have even known who he was if it wasn't for my dad. I still didn't know who he was until I saw Vegas Vacation with Chevy Chase.

I also sat next to Kid Rock on the Back to the Future ride in Orlando. I was behind him in line and didn't really recognize him until the guy in front of him turned and asked for an autograph. He was really cool and down to earth. He was with his GF or wife. Talked to him for a few minutes and that was that.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • I was in line behind Ron Wood at a Starbucks in Boston
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    I also met rapper DJ Quik at the Ralphs about a mile from my house in Altadena, CA back in 2000.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Riddick Bowe at Union Station in DC in 1999. Blake Griffin chatting with two girls following the NBA draft at the corner of West 31 Street and Seventh Avenue. Stone Gossard in the Village Pourhouse following a charity show at Webster Hall that featured Brad.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    One day I was a tourist in NYC waiting to cross the street at a stoplight and I noticed a man looking at me over the top of his sunglasses across the street. I looked directly at him for a moment and realized it was Al Pacino. That surprised me.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    My sister once met They Might Be Giants in the airport & they invited her (and me) to their show the next night. So we partied backstage with them, Frank Black, & Dada (who sang that song that goes "I'm going to Disneyland"). The singer from Dada walked past me before their set & I didn't recognize him. I complimented his hat & he stopped & talked to me for an hour or so. After the gig, we went out partying with They Might Be Giants. They snuck us into a bar with them and then were kind enough to offer to face our grandfather with us, who was furious because when he came back to pick us up from the show we weren't there & the bouncers told him we went back to the hotel with the band.

Wil Wheaton (the kid from Star Trek: The Next Generation & Stand By Me) once jumped out at me in a toy store & told me not to buy a Rubic's Magic & then talked to me for awhile. It was the late '80s, I was 13, & he liked my Debbie Gibson pin. :oops:

My sister & I were once extras in a movie with Stephen Baldwin. He took a liking to us & asked if he could bring his camera to the set & photograph us. We said sure.

Bill Cosby once tried to persuade my boss to give me the night off.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I saw Tucker Carlson at Green Airport in Providence, RI once. He saw me recognize him, and then he smirked. It was definitely him, he had the bow tie and the hair.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    This guy from Young and the Restless:
    davidson_doug_davidson_d.jpg
    ...he was doing an autograph signing at a mall I was meeting my gf at...I was standing near the group of girls waiting to meet him outside... thinking I was the only guy there to see him, he came straight over, thanked me for coming, and offered me his hand....I didn't shake it and started laughing. Not to slight him, I was just caught off guard.
  • not very random but no bullshit i just saw conan o'brian at a beach restaurant near the four seasons (i assume e's staying there like all tha big stars do) on the big island, hawaii
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Monica Belluchi in Myconos and Tom Hanks in Skiathos
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Work in midtown Manhattan and lived all over the city. Happens all the time.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful's girlfriend speaking:

I used to work @ the Parisian in Birmingham Alabama and a guy walked in with one of those horrible hats with the flaps over his ears. I thought he looked kind of familiar so i kept staring at him, i worke din the jewelry department and he was with a woman looking @ earrings. They walked through without buying anything and left, but then they came back later on and i just kept staring again lol. Then they finally decided on a pair of earrings and when i took his money from him i said "Whats your name because you look very familiar"...and he said "Yes im an actor, i played Xander on Buffy" and i was like oh yea holy shit, but then kind of dissapointed cause you then want to tell your friends you saw a celebrity, but who the fuck knows who Nicholas Brendon is?

Also when i worked @ Parisian I saw Paula Deen shopping in the mens Polo shirts with her husband. At the time her show had just recently come out and not a lot of people knew who she was, but me being completely obsessed (and still am) with the Food Network, i knew EXACTLY who she was :) And i was so excited! So i had to run over and tell her i loved her show and of course she said "Well c'mon over here and gimme a hug honey!" And i was more than happy too :)

I also met Marilyn Manson backstage, and saw the guy who plays Elton in Clueless @ the Circle K by my old house in Georgia.Oh yea! I also saw Deebo from Friday in the Mall of Georgia when i was like 16. Hmmmm ok i think thats it.

dcfaithful:

I met Jared Leto and he was a dick.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • A few months ago I walked right past Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway on my way to work. I saw the cameras and the film crew, and had to walk through it since they were blocking the whole street. Didn't notice them until I was right up next to them... never bothered to say anything though.

Met a few celebs, but they weren't random. Adam Sandler backstage at a meet and greet. The Goo Goo Dolls twice, drank with them in the early 90's and in the mid 90's at a meet and greet. Marilyn Manson after an in-store, drank with the band on their tour bus. Glen Phillips from Toad the Wet Sprocket twice and Eddie after his solo show in Santa Barbara...
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Many many of them but here's a couple that pathologist guy from CSINY he once starred in that series Man From U.N.C.L.E. He sat in first class, I sat in business on our way to Gatwick Airport in England.

Bumped into Senator Kennedy (Ted) in Harvard Square on his way to Caroline Kennedy's graduation at Harvard. I was walking on the sidewalk looked up there he was and bumped him like a pick pocket would. :D

One time I was having a facial/ body mud exfoliation and lunch at the Four Seasons Palm Beach with my fiance and Kelly Rippa, husband and their parents came down to eat. They sat behind us, me actually and she looked like she just dragged herself out of bed. My fiance couldn't take her eyes off of her and wouldn't stop talking about her, I finally had to say enough already.

Another one, I was bowling at the Circle Lanes in Hampton Va and 2 lanes over was Robert Plant bowling. I said to my friends you have no idea who that guy over there that's bowling. They had no clue, he was on his *The Principle of Moments* tour. I was able to see his show and loved the song *Big Log*.

Another bowling one was remember Vanilla Ice he bowled in the next lane with his daughters. This was Lake Worth Florida and the dude is tattooed up. He can't bowl though but gave me a couple nice shots on a couple turkeys I had. :D

Many others when I worked graveyard at Denny's back in school in Hampton Va. All the rock stars and roadies would come in after their shows AC/DC, Van Halen, The Wailers, The Greatful Dead, David Bryne of Talking Heads are just a few.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• i met Eric Bristow (darts player) Shanghi air port bar. top geezer.
  • Ive run into a TON! Living here in Atlanta, mostly athletes and musicians/Rappers. Id have to say the most random was Vanilla Ice in the Bahamas at the airport. I was at the bar having a couple drinks with my friends and he pulls a chair up right next to me. This was later in his career, tattoos/punk rocker look. I have a ton of respect for this guy, as he was cool as shit! Talked about an hour or so about random stuff but mostly Motorcross. He races bikes. If I find a pic ill post it. Rob Van Winkle is cool as shit! :D
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    g under p wrote:
    Many others when I worked graveyard at Denny's back in school in Hampton Va. All the rock stars and roadies would come in after their shows AC/DC, Van Halen, The Wailers, The Greatful Dead, David Bryne of Talking Heads are just a few.

Peace

Haha! I used to work graveyard at Denny's but all we got were the same homeless people and skinheads every night.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    scb wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Haha! I used to work graveyard at Denny's but all we got were the same homeless people and skinheads every night.

I was very lucky we had the Hampton Coliseum which in the early 80's was the busiest concert venue on the east coast. Everybody played there due to the acoustics and the size of the place around 14-15,000 general admission. I also worked there as security, most times I wasn't securing anything I was watching the shows many of them.

That's before Mercury Blvd got built up so if these musicians/roadies were hungry Denny's was THE place to eat. Our food was good and quick and most folks other than a weekends we were rather empty. They usually would show up around 3-4 in the morning very tranquil and peaceful. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    My random story: So, in December '08 for the holiday break, my mom, sister & I decided to go to Argentina to visit my grandma's cousins in Buenos Aires and to see Iguazu Falls. Of course while there, we really wanted to go to see a tango. My grandmother's cousins are in their 70s and have lived in Argentina for most of their lives- so naturally, they took us to a really really authentic tango place on a side street in Buenos Aires-- it was literally a converted gymnasium & we were the only Americans there (except for this celebrity...). Anyway, it's like 2 in the morning and the show was just about to get underway. Suddenly, a family member asks my mom, "Is that Willem Dafoe?"--long story short, it was. My mom & I went over to say hi, was a really really nice guy and happily signed an autograph for us! He was actually learning tango with a few friends and their instructor took them to this place we were in! 2 AM, a side street in Buenos Aires, Willem Dafoe, what are the chances?-- now that's random--but it was very cool!

Also my dad might win for random celebrity sighting- As he was walking into a bathroom in a diner in New Jersey, Hulk Hogan walked out. He said, "Hey Terry" (knowing that was his real name) in passing :D
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • I saw Mathew Horne (from Gavin and Stacey) and Jonah Hill (the tubby guy from Superbad) at Pearl Jam's Shepherd's Bush show.

Oh and Kat Deeley walked straight in to me at the V '98 festival!

And lastly, Chris Cornell got right up in my face at an Audioslave concert, he was literally nose to nose with me, was very strange!
  • I met Ben from Billy Talent once at their show. It's some years ago and I don't listen to BT anymore, but that guy was amazing. We didn't talk as their support band was playing and he was just in front of the stage to watch but he started smiling at me and then came over to give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and stayed there in front of the barrier all show - his arm around my shoulders. Well I never saw him again but I was melting at that moment :oops:

And Jesse "The Devil" Hughes once kissed me after EofDM's show at Rock im Park - but I was not the only one to be kissed.