The Grammys

hedavehedave Posts: 201
edited February 2010 in The Porch
I'm curious! By what process are the bands and artists nominated? Last night, U2, Green Day and AC/DC were nominated. AC/DC? really? WTF! Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who, just to name a few, have never been nominated, but Taylor Swift gets one. What the hell! What about The Decemberists, Wilco, The Killers and "Backspacer"?
He who forgets will be destined to remember...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The Grammys... suck!!!
    every year gets worse and boring...
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • I believe there is a panel of sorts - and likely that they receive many gifts from record labels. So bands on smaller labels will never get mentioned. I suppose Pearl Jam isn't on a label - but you get the picture. You'll never see the Decemberists, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, etc. at the Grammy's until the become "mainstream".

It has nothing to do with the music itself. Everyone (over 17-18) knows that the Grammy's are a sham.
  • You're not correct about Neil Young never being nominated. He was nominated in 1989 for "This Note's For You," 2007 for "Prairie Wind" 2008 for "Looking for a Leader" and last year for "Chrome Dreams II."

And he won last night for his box set.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    hedave wrote:
    I'm curious! By what process are the bands and artists nominated? Last night, U2, Green Day and AC/DC were nominated. AC/DC? really? WTF! Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who, just to name a few, have never been nominated, but Taylor Swift gets one. What the hell! What about The Decemberists, Wilco, The Killers and "Backspacer"?

Backspacer wasn't eligible for this years Grammy's.
    I miss igotid88
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    all I know is that pink's ass stole the show

the grammys are about pop music-which is dominated by R&B, rap, pop rock, and nowadays, country.

its quantity over quality, for the most part
  • Get_Right wrote:
    all I know is that pink's ass stole the show
    +1
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,366
    hedave wrote:

"Backspacer" was not eligible for this year's Grammys. Released too late.

Wilco has been nominated multiple times, and won.

Voting is by members of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • You gotta take it with a grain of salt.. I actually don't hate on the grammy's. If it weren't for the grammy's, well there probably wouldnt be a Pearl Jam we all know. If you can understand that. There is some great big cheesyness that goes along with it, but its all in a good time and for tv ratings and SALES. and Taylor Swift sells. She's an all around talent. If you can't admit that, your just wasting your time.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Ya, don't hate the grammys, just most of the music on them. I do not think any music that appeals to adults will be on the Grammys for most part, I was surprised PJ's Fixer even got nominated. My daughter 12 and wife watched them, I told them come get me when somebody plays some music and not some elaborate stage show with lipcinking! Can not believe some moron's compared Elton John to Lady Gagme! Enough said on this non-issue for real music fans!
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEYs0CM ... L&index=68

watch and listen..

Eddie is 100% correct..

Not to bash other awards... Just the Grammy's... IMO
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • NARAS votes, there's no bribes/payola. Even if there was bribery, there's too many members of NARAS to flip the majority. All it takes is to have a job in the audio industry and to pay your dues (i think there's one tiered fee to become a member and another (more expensive) tiered fee to be a voting member.

The voting is based on majority rule rather than a judgement panel, use some common sense and you would be able to tell that indie artists don't stand a chance versus popular artists since the majority of the people aren't going to know the indie artist.

One problem with the voting process is that you have to vote on every section of the ballot whether you're knowledgable of the person's body of work or not, so when people come across a portion that isn't of interest to them they just vote for whoever they've heard of which is usually the biggest name on the ballot.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    [
    Eddie is 100% correct..

Not to bash other awards... Just the Grammy's... IMO[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEYs0CM ... L&index=68

again , watch listen and learn..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford