Breaking Sports News: McGuire Admits.....

124»

Comments

• but thats the whole point. No one knows. When you have this many people using, using in the past, it sort of puts a cloud of suspicion over ALL players reguardless of if they used or didnt use. Selig is another villain in the story. Anyone really think he gave a damn that players were using during the home run race? Why would his opinion on the issue change? Selig has the power to clean up the game, and really has done little to nothing to rectify the situation. He looked the other way. He had a real chance to do something the other year when Bonds was chasing Aaron. He could have come out and said "we know Bonds is using so his breaking of a record will be meaningless". Instead he says nothing, congratulates Bonds and shows up at Bonds games. Wow.

The point is, homers equal power, fame, and glory. More press coverage for baseball. More print time, more air time, more attendance at games, more money pouring in. It seems few people in baseball had squabbles over this fact, the fact that this was essentially blood money or tainted money. Selig, the owners, the players who used, the players who didnt use but knew, and didnt say anything all share some blame in this debacle
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,981

I am bitterly angry about this. I remember that summer and spent many nights watching the home run chase. Excuse my language, but how the fuck does bud Selig still have a fucking job. All of this shit happened under his watch.

Fuck him and MLB. They won't get one penny from me this year.

I totally agree with your take on Selig but I have zero anger over this. It is fucking entertainment. You didn't suspect in 1998? Hell, they were chanting "steroids, steroids" at Canseco 10 years earlier.

The guys who drive me nuts are Roger Clemens, A-Rod, and Barry Bonds. These guys have all the baseball talent in the world and COULD have made it to the top without cheating. But because they have such big egos, they cheated so they definitely WOULD be on top. These guys are comparable to a guy like Bernie Madoff. He had all the money he needs but still ripped people off.

To a point, I agree.... but Bonds supposedly told Griffey he was going to start on the roids because of the irritation he felt with that little pissant Sosa :shock: hitting 60+ HRs. To me, LaRussa was at ground zero when the Oakland A's opened Pandora's box in the late 80's. TLR is a lying, sanctimonious POS. It wasn't right, but was only natural for everyone to jump onboard.
    One can assume some players are still using, that many still are using in MLB. What will happen when they use in front of Mark? What will he do? Will he expose them? confront them?

without.a.fucking.doubt they are still using....HGH. They still use but not so blatantly.
    jimed14 wrote:
    Some HGHs may be used ... but, with the first strike = 50 game suspension, I'm guessing there is a LOT less usage than you think.

dude, there's NO test. Unless you go with the Manny Ramirez female fertility drug combo, you won't get caught. HGH, by itself, will never get you busted.

P.S. you haters can continue to hate, but the FEDS need to give up on my boy Barry! ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    imalive wrote:
    P.S. you haters can continue to hate, but the FEDS need to give up on my boy Barry! ;)

UGH.

8-)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    imalive wrote:

UGH.

8-)

Thought you'd like that! ;):mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    I totally agree with your take on Selig but I have zero anger over this. It is fucking entertainment. You didn't suspect in 1998? Hell, they were chanting "steroids, steroids" at Canseco 10 years earlier.

EXACTLY!! if it wasn't obvious to someone that mcgwire and sosa were roiding in '98, you just weren't paying attention...it was still fun to watch which is all sports should be watched for...FUN
    imalive wrote:

:lol::lol: keep up the fight ;) :P
    I just saw on ESPN where the FBI had McGwire's, Canseco's "and others" names in 1993 when they busted a Detroit area steroid ring. Since "the FBI doesn't usually go after USERS" (unless your name is Bonds ;) ), the FBI just gave the names to the head of MLB Security. Where was the follow up on that? There was none. Selig knew, the managers knew, the GMs knew, no one cared. Very, very few people uttered a peep. Everyone was making money. Hell, even sportswriters knew but, back then, they wanted to put Mark and Sammy on the cover of SI and, now, they want to take the moral high ground.

Kudos to the FEW journalists who continue to ask "Where was MLB during that whole time?"

Meanwhile, Bud Selig continues to draw an $18M/yr salary for his "leadership."

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    The always great Joe Pos....

"I didn't agree with or even follow everything McGwire said, but I never thought that was the point. I never thought apologizing was an Olympic sport with stoned-faced people judging how straight his toes were pointed and if he made too big a splash. McGwire is not a public speaker. He's not a philosopher. He's not a politician. He is not even an especially open person. He is a guy who dedicated his life to hitting baseballs hard. Expecting him to become Hamlet doesn't seem fair."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... i.mcgwire/

I must point out though, for once Joe Pos is a bit contradicotry since he absolutely ripped Arod for his apology.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    How about this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/sport ... ss&emc=rss

The one-day plan — coordinated over the past month by Ari Fleischer, a former White House press secretary who runs a crisis-communications company, and the St. Louis Cardinals, who recently hired McGwire as their batting coach — contrasts with last year’s roll-out of Alex Rodriguez’s steroid admission.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I'm sick of hearing about it every year. It's like they're putting salt on the wound right before spring training is about to start.

What also gets me down is that when I was 8, I collected the entire 1987 topps baseball card set (wood boarder) just so I can have the MM Rookie card. Those are childhood memories that are now meaningless
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I'm sick of hearing about it every year. It's like they're putting salt on the wound right before spring training is about to start.

What also gets me down is that when I was 8, I collected the entire 1987 topps baseball card set (wood boarder) just so I can have the MM Rookie card. Those are childhood memories that are now meaningless

The real Mcgwire rookie was in the 85 Topps Traded set, wearing the Team USA uni..... That thing was worth some decent jack.

On a side note: I got the Cardinals team set that year(87) and for a few days Mike Laga was my favorite players, b/c he hit one out of the old Busch Stadium, down one of the lines. In the 87 set it looks like he is wearing a pink jersey.

Get over it, dude. Hate the game; not the player.

The esteemed Alberto Gonzalez :roll: would not give Mac immunity for his congressional testimony. Mac may have gone to jail if he had told the truth in 2005. Pretty easy decision for me....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • i also to a certain extent get how hard it would be not to use steroids right now. When your whole team is using and when Sosa and Mcgwire get ink and press because of what they do on steroids, and you are some average player, why would you not want to use the steroids?

But thats another thing I dont get. Wther we are talking baseball or cycling or whatever, where are the whistleblowers? Where are the players who see whats going on and say "hey this is unfair and unhealthy and ridiculous, no one should be using steroids and I wont, and I am gonna blow the whistle on all that are"? Where were and where are those people? How hard is it to have moral fiber and moral chatacter, to have a conscience?
  • imalive wrote:

Get over it, dude. Hate the game; not the player.

The esteemed Alberto Gonzalez :roll: would not give Mac immunity for his congressional testimony. Mac may have gone to jail if he had told the truth in 2005. Pretty easy decision for me....

As I stated from the first post, I am a Mark fan. I supported him when he was an A and I suported him during the home run chase. I even support him now, in that he is a more sympathetic character than the idiot Bonds. That said, thats ridiculous what he said.

Its like I just said. At a certain point you need to stand up and do the right thing. Those that dont stand up or those who keep quiet or lie, those are not heroes to me. Those who have consciences, those who have integrity, those who are righteous. Those people are my heroes.

So if Gonzalez, wouldnt have hauled Mark in, Mark would have told the truth? I dont buy it. He let me down, he let all of us down. He let the maris's down. He let his son and kids who are fans of his down.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    You know how many of these I had ... :evil:

markmcgwirerc-222x300.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    jimed14 wrote:
    You know how many of these I had ... :evil:

markmcgwirerc-222x300.jpg

i still have mine...when i looked at it's price in like 98 or 99 it was going for $300...now i don't think anyone would want it to put into their bicycle spokes ;) :eh:
  • where can I see the full and unedited Mcguire interview with costas?
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    A few more I had I don't think are worth the cardboard they are printed on ...

369043.jpg

1986-bonds-fleer-update.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    jimed14 wrote:
    A few more I had I don't think are worth the cardboard they are printed on ...

369043.jpg

f'ing bonds....he very well could have been the greatest of all time or one of the greatest without that shit. f him.
    www.myspace.com
    jimed14 wrote:

I've told you before.... THIS is his rookie card:

barry_bonds_rookie_card.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

So if Gonzalez, wouldnt have hauled Mark in, Mark would have told the truth? I dont buy it. He let me down, he let all of us down. He let the maris's down. He let his son and kids who are fans of his down.

I believe Mac on this. Congressman Davis confirmed the night-before attempt at immunity and said Gonzalez nixed it. When asked why, Davis said Gonzalez could "barely put two words together in a sentence." (or two sentences together or something like that) Imagine that - Bush's stooge doing something with an ulterior motive (but I digress).

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    After yesterdays admission this seems to be McGwire's fate ....Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

What have I got to do to make you love me
    What have I got to do to make you care
    What do I do when lightning strikes me
    And I wake to find that you're not there

What do I do to make you want me
    What have I got to do to be heard
    What do I say when it's all over
    And sorry seems to be the hardest word

It's sad, so sad
    It's a sad, sad situation
    And it's getting more and more absurd
    It's sad, so sad
    Why can't we talk it over
    Oh it seems to me
    That sorry seems to be the hardest word

What do I do to make you love me
    What have I got to do to be heard
    What do I do when lightning strikes me
    What have I got to do
    What have I got to do
    When sorry seems to be the hardest word

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,818
    still not gonna correct the name
    I miss igotid88