Breaking Sports News: McGuire Admits.....

Comments

• Coming out like this helped him as far as his coaching job... Everyone knew that he was a roid freak, and if he didn't admit it, he'd be dogged with questions constantly. Now he can just say that he addressed it and move on.
    For some reason....

I believe the St. Louis Cardinals will use common sense......Think about this for a while....

And then tell Mr. Mcguire to go fuck himself.......

Lets see what happens.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

• Coming out like this helped him as far as his coaching job... Everyone knew that he was a roid freak, and if he didn't admit it, he'd be dogged with questions constantly. Now he can just say that he addressed it and move on.
    For some reason....

I believe the St. Louis Cardinals will use common sense......Think about this for a while....

Don't hold your breath... Tony LaRussa was on every media outlet that he could be on yesterday singing McGuire's praises, and a lot of fans in St. Louis still like the guy.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

For some reason....

doubt it unless the Cardinals' offense suffers under his tutelage. this was all about getting the admission out of the way before spring training. either way, I figure for most of these guys to start having major health problems in their 50s and 60s if they make it.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    this is one sob story i could have lived the rest of my life
    and never thought of, nor heard about again. why bother at this point?

like this is news.

spare me the remorse, the feigned ignorance, the much sought after empathy.

it just makes him look like a bigger idiot, if that's possible.
    Nice shirt.

For some reason....

Don't hold your breath... Tony LaRussa was on every media outlet that he could be on yesterday singing McGuire's praises, and a lot of fans in St. Louis still like the guy.
    I am thinking the St. Louis organization....

Is soon going to tell Mr. Larussa to shut the fuck up.....

I really do...

The St. Louis Cardinals organization does not need to employ this steroid freak, nor do they need the negative feedback that will soon follow. The St. Louis Cardinals have always come across as a classy organization, and for some reason I have a feeling that Mr. Mcguire will not be a full time coach anytime in the near future.
  • this is one sob story i could have lived the rest of my life

like this is news.

I didn't even watch. It was up against a funny Simpsons episode.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."

like this is news.

the mere thought of McGuire, with his young son in his arms,
    waving and smiling at the crowd after he broke Maris' HR record turns my stomach.

the deception is truly remarkable. there is no way this man should ever, Ever
    have anything to do with baseball ever again. period.
    Nice shirt.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937

like this is news.

waving and smiling at the crowd after he broke Maris' HR record turns my stomach.

the deception is truly remarkable. there is no way this man should ever, Ever
    have anything to do with baseball ever again. period.
    but alas, he will. What do you think he will tell the guys he's coaching- "try this, its just a little help, and you can deny it later". He's a joke
  • I listened to some of that interview last night on the radio.....

Mcgwire came off as nothing but a fucking creep, who is still in denial.....

Major League baseball should just tell him to fuck off and go away. Why let this asshole back into the game? Why let this guy work at the major league level? How will employing this piece of shit, benifit baseball in any way, shape or form? Mcgwire along with Clemens, Palmiero, Sosa, Bonds, made a fucking joke out of the supposed "national pastime". Now they are going to let Mcgwire back into the game as a coach???

Bullshit.....

Bud Selig could look like the good guy here....
    And tell Mcgwire to fuck off and go away..........................
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    I listened to some of that interview last night on the radio.....

Major League baseball should just tell him to fuck off and go away. Why let this asshole back into the game? Why let this guy work at the major league level? How will employing this piece of shit, benifit baseball in any way, shape or form? Mcgwire along with Clemens, Palmiero, Sosa, Bonds, made a fucking joke out of the supposed "national pastime". Now they are going to let Mcgwire back into the game as a coach???

Bullshit.....

He won't and I don't believe he can, I believe that's in the hands of MLB fans.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

vduboise wrote:
    but alas, he will. What do you think he will tell the guys he's coaching- "try this, its just a little help, and you can deny it later". He's a joke

a sickening thought, isn't it?

and that kind behavior is perpetuated because there are no real concequences
    for using PED's. in what other setting is such blatant disregard for the rules
    allowed and continually swept under the rug?

until these cheaters are punished, these practices will continue.
    not only continue, but the use will continue to escalate.
    Nice shirt.
  • g under p wrote:

Bullshit.....

Peace
    Selig has all the power, to ban Mcgwire, and the rest of the steroid freaks, from ever working at the major league level.
    g under p wrote:

Bullshit.....

Peace
    Selig has all the power, to ban Mcgwire, and the rest of the steroid freaks, from ever working at the major league level.

I do believe at the time when MM took steroids it wasn't illegal, but it was frowned upon if I'm not mistaken. So on what grounds could he ban MM? As for the other suspected and admitted players the Players Association would put up a fight and make more of a mess for Selig. I don't think he wants to go there.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    where's barry? :think:
  • Not sure I get the outrage that some have in the sports radio world... is there ANYONE who can honestly say that this is a surprise?

He grew like the Hulk, and his hat size probably increased like 5 sizes
    Starting at age 33, an career injury prone guy somehow managed to put 3 straight seasons together playing in 95% of the games.
    At age 35 & 36 he managed to hit 65+ homeruns in back-to-back season
    In front of congress he refused to answer any questions about steroid use
    etc, etc, etc...

This would be like Tiger Woods coming out five years from now to say the he likes women and has made some mistakes in the past.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    edited January 2010

This was one of the bigger "you gotta be kidding me" momments in the interview for me.

Costas asked him about when he hit 62, about the seeing the Maris family, about that day and he still views it as a good memory ... his answer,

"That's me. That's who I am. Picking up my son, that's what I felt. Picking up sammy. Going over to the marises. That's just who I am."

He shouldn't ever look at this momment as untainted. This annoyed me a lot.
    Post edited by jimed14 on
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • g under p wrote:

I do believe at the time when MM took steroids it wasn't illegal, but it was frowned upon if I'm not mistaken. So on what grounds could he ban MM? As for the other suspected and admitted players the Players Association would put up a fight and make more of a mess for Selig. I don't think he wants to go there.

peace
    At the time there was not a steroid policy in baseball. Though I am pretty sure that obtaining steroids illegally was a crime. Right? How many laws did Mcwire break in order to get his steroids?
    g under p wrote:

peace

Well, the steroids MM took were illegal in society, so, they should have been illegal in baseball inherently, but, they weren't.

There in lies the story behind the story. The asshats in the MLB that just ignored this for so long and are hiding behind the desks with their fat wallets that are taking NONE of this character assasination.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Not sure I get the outrage that some have in the sports radio world... is there ANYONE who can honestly say that this is a surprise?

He grew like the Hulk, and his hat size probably increased like 5 sizes
    Starting at age 33, an career injury prone guy somehow managed to put 3 straight seasons together playing in 95% of the games.
    At age 35 & 36 he managed to hit 65+ homeruns in back-to-back season
    In front of congress he refused to answer any questions about steroid use
    etc, etc, etc...

This would be like Tiger Woods coming out five years from now to say the he likes women and has made some mistakes in the past.
    When Costas asked...

"Do you think you would have still hit close to 600 HRS and put up Ruthian numbers without steroids"?????

Mcgwire says...."Yes, I was given a gift" .............

I couldnt help but think that Mcgwire is a fucking piece of shit....period!!!
    jimed14 wrote:

This was one of the bigger "you gotta be kidding me" momments in the interview for me.

Costas asked him about when he hit 62, about the seeing the Maris family, about that day and he still views it as a good memory ... his answer,

"That's me. That's who I am. Picking up my son, that's what I felt. Picking up sammy. Going over to the marises. That's just who I am."

He shouldn't ever look at this momment as untainted. This annoyed me a lot.

exactly.

the hypocrisy of that moment, the betrayal to his and Maris' family
    and to MLB, he should be ashamed.

who he is is a lying, cheating, strung out drug addict.

yep, a real role model for his young son.
    shameful to say the least.
    Nice shirt.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    he really shouldn't have done that interview
  • norm wrote:
    he really shouldn't have done that interview
    The guy has spent 5 years In Hiding.....

I hope he goes back under the fucking rock he has been hiding under.....

For another 20 years......
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I was going to ask the question if using steroids back in the 90's in MLB violated any rule, reg, or policy. I thought that it didn't. It wasn't until it became socially unacceptable that baseball finally stepped up and implemented a policy that other sports like professional cycling have been doing for years. Everyone has always criticized professional cycling as a drug sport, but that is only because there have been policies against it and they do such heavy policing and testing that people get caught. In baseball, I would bet my life savings that EVERYONE from managers, coaches, owners, and yes the Commissioner were very well aware that MOST (in my opinion) players were doing something to enhance performance and probably encouraging and even providing it somehow. The blame should be shared equally by all of them that fostered and encouraged it. I'm sure some players did not participate, but I would bet they are in the minority. In any sport or industry where large sums of money are at stake people will do what they can to "make it." This does not mean that I think McGwire has no responsbility, but I do think it is unfair that he is being singled out. Especially when the hypocritical managers, owners, and the commissioner say that what the players did was wrong like they knew nothing about it.

As to him obtainging steroids illegally, how would anybody know? All that it takes is some doctor to write a prescription. Complain about a inflamed tendon, sinus infection, ec. and you can get the stuff. Don't fool yourself and think that there are no physicians out there that would provide the steroids. There are physicians that do nothing but provide "medical advice" to professional sports, whether it be baseball, tennis, cycling, swimming, etc.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    Naturally tonight on Larry King Jose Canseco will chime in on the MM steriod admission a former teamate with the A's.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    Naturally tonight on Larry King Jose Canseco will chime in on the MM steriod admission a former teamate with the A's.

Peace

While he was the first to really come public with some of the behind the scenes stories, and many of his accusations are proving to be true ... this guy is a complete lugnut whom I have zero interest in listening to.

• as a kid Mark and Jose were the reasons I got into baseball, as a youngster. And then in the home run chase of the late 90's, when sports werent of interest to me anymore, I would watch the news everyday hoping to hear Mark hit another home run.

Mark has always seemed the person most deserving of sympathy in this whole mess. Bonds is a jerk. He doesnt and didnt give one iota if some kid took steroids in order to emulate him (bonds). Mark on the other hand has always seemed abolutely heartbroken over this, what he did, the effect it had. He seems heartbroken, and has for years. Thats the difference. I think that is important, and its not a small difference. On one hand you have the Bonds and the palmeiros and whatevers of the world, who are on their high horses, and then you have Mark who has, for at least a decade been haunted by these allegations that he admitted were true yesterday.

I have heard the statement that "steroids dont make you hit homers" made multiple times, and by people much more knowledgeable about baseball than I. My uncle who has been a baseball fan his whole life, sort of says the same thing. My feeling on it is this: Mark, Barry, A-Rod, they didnt take stereoids to hit base hits, or to run faster or to steal more bases. They took the steroids to hit homers. Thats where the big bucks and the fame and the SI covers are. The idea that anyone would take steroids to hit more base hits is absurd and I think anyone can come to this conclusion.

Barry Bonds on the other hand, I doubt will ever come out like Mark just did. He just doesnt care. Bonds tarnished the game way more than Mark ever did. Bonds still believes he did nothing wrong and still believes he is the home run king. That to me is gross.
  • one thing that begs an answer, is the issue of current steroid use in st louis. One can assume some players are still using, that many still are using in MLB. What will happen when they use in front of Mark? What will he do? Will he expose them? confront them?
  • its sad. thats the take away message folks. This entire era, the steroid era is so encompassing and so engrossing, there were SO MANY big names who took steroids, who broke records with steroids.

I have mantained this for years, seems like when you weed out all the steroid users, when you take them out of the equation, maybe the best home run hitter who was and is clean is Griffey Jr
    I have heard the statement that "steroids dont make you hit homers" made multiple times, and by people much more knowledgeable about baseball than I. My uncle who has been a baseball fan his whole life, sort of says the same thing. My feeling on it is this: Mark, Barry, A-Rod, they didnt take stereoids to hit base hits, or to run faster or to steal more bases. They took the steroids to hit homers. Thats where the big bucks and the fame and the SI covers are. The idea that anyone would take steroids to hit more base hits is absurd and I think anyone can come to this conclusion.

I take a different angle.

What steroids truly did was make these guys healthy, it prolonged their career, it enabled them to come back night after night in better condition. It kept them healthy.

McGwire stated he was ready to retire after the '96 season because he was injured so much. Steroids allowed all those muscle pulls and strains to heal faster and not become muscle tears and prolonged stints on the DL.

This is why there were a lot of good middle relievers in the late 90s early 2000s. They were using. It's just that no one cares about middle relievers and their stats, but, as someone who follows stats closely, there were some ridiculous numbers being put up by these pitchers ... and the number of games they played per year were huge.
    Barry Bonds on the other hand, I doubt will ever come out like Mark just did. He just doesnt care. Bonds tarnished the game way more than Mark ever did. Bonds still believes he did nothing wrong and still believes he is the home run king. That to me is gross.

Bonds, and Clemens, have a vested interest not to come out as they could be brought up on federal perjury charges ... so, we will doubtfully hear from them unless they bargain for immunity.

one thing that begs an answer, is the issue of current steroid use in st louis. One can assume some players are still using, that many still are using in MLB. What will happen when they use in front of Mark? What will he do? Will he expose them? confront them?

I do not think many, if any, folks are still using steroids in the MLB, they are easy to test for.

Some HGHs may be used ... but, with the first strike = 50 game suspension, I'm guessing there is a LOT less usage than you think.