Breaking Sports News: McGuire Admits.....

g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
....Took steriods for 10 years during the homerun stretch in the 90's. Are you surprised, well at least he came clean finally and will others?

http://cbs13.com/national/mark.mcguire. ... 18850.html

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Well it's good that he finally said something. As far as I can tell he does not say if he took them in the record year...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I do praise him for waiting until after the Hall of Fame vote to announce it.

No doubt, this was part of his agreement to take a job with the Cardinals.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Well it's good that he finally said something. As far as I can tell he does not say if he took them in the record year...

He does admit taking them in 98

"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again," McGwire said in his statement. "I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

I say good for him, it would have been really easy for him to just stay out of the spotlight like he has for the past 5 years or so.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    he's still a coward for not admitting this years ago.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484

My thoughts exactly.
    Full statement:

"Now that I have become the hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals, I have the chance to do something that I wish I was able to do five years ago.

I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come. It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected. I used steroids during my playing career and I apologize. I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 off season and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again. I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season.

I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era.

During the mid-'90s, I went on the DL seven times and missed 228 games over five years. I experienced a lot of injuries, including a ribcage strain, a torn left heel muscle, a stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle. It was definitely a miserable bunch of years and I told myself that steroids could help me recover faster. I thought they would help me heal and prevent injuries, too.

I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids. I had good years when I didn't take any and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry.

Baseball is really different now -- it's been cleaned up. The commissioner and the players' association implemented testing and they cracked down, and I'm glad they did.

I'm grateful to the Cardinals for bringing me back to baseball. I want to say thank you to Cardinals owner Mr. DeWitt, to my GM, John Mozeliak, and to my manager, Tony La Russa. I can't wait to put the uniform on again and to be back on the field in front of the great fans in Saint Louis. I've always appreciated their support and I intend to earn it again, this time as hitting coach. I'm going to pour myself into this job and do everything I can to help the Cardinals hitters become the best players for years to come.

After all this time, I want to come clean. I was not in a position to do that five years ago in my congressional testimony, but now I feel an obligation to discuss this and to answer questions about it. I'll do that, and then I just want to help my team."
    PJGARDEN wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

For whatever its worth it does say he was told by his lawyers not to admit anything and you would be pretty crazy to think players would admit it when it first started coming out.
    MLB Network, 7 pm eastern. McGwire will interview with Costas ... 1st interview after the statement.

Let's hope many more guys come forth ... at least the ones that don't face perjury charges.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    MLB Network, 7 pm eastern. McGwire will interview with Costas ... 1st interview after the statement.

Let's hope many more guys come forth ... at least the ones that don't face perjury charges.

Nice, Costas is not going to take it easy on him either.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

agreed. Costas gets a lot of shit, but, if he's talking baseball, I enjoy watching him.

Anything other than baseball ... not so much.

jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

agreed. Costas gets a lot of shit, but, if he's talking baseball, I enjoy watching him.

Anything other than baseball ... not so much.

I hear you, I hated him in the booth and i was never a huge fan of Costas Now. I think he does a good job with the Olympics as well (I might be in the minority on that).
  • he's still a coward for not admitting this years ago.

Yeah, but i'll file this under "better late than never"

At least he came clean about it now.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    in other news, the sky is blue
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Damn! ......What other gems are going to be uncovered from the nineties??? ........OJ did it!!! :roll:
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539

I am bitterly angry about this. I remember that summer and spent many nights watching the home run chase. Excuse my language, but how the fuck does bud Selig still have a fucking job. All of this shit happened under his watch.

Fuck him and MLB. They won't get one penny from me this year.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    BTW I don't believe MM after all hie steriod & HGH usage he has any of the homerun records. I now forsee in a couple of years Selig either removing Bonds from the homerun record or at the very least an ****. Then resetting the mark back to 61.

These guys are or were making a mockery out of the game.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• he's still a coward for not admitting this years ago.

I am bitterly angry about this. I remember that summer and spent many nights watching the home run chase. Excuse my language, but how the fuck does bud Selig still have a fucking job. All of this shit happened under his watch.

Because EVERYONE spent many nights watching the chase. Remember, baseball was just a few years removed from an unprecedented work stoppage where no World Series was played. It was bringing fans back to the park and that's that.

Sometimes entertainment trumps integrity.
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I...for one....am SHOCKED! ;)
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    The Brawney paper towl guy was juicin?

Guys like him and Papi are the worst

without juice......they ain't shit,even with it they struck out a bunch,can't run,can't play D

juice made those dudes serious$,maybe without it they aren't big leaguers
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Damn! ......What other gems are going to be uncovered from the nineties??? ........OJ did it!!! :roll:
    but the glove didn't fit :roll:

THE only reason big mac did this was so overtime he can get more votes for the hall of fame. He shoulda said he was sorry when he was in DC a few years back. I think he only got 26% of the votes this year.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• CROJAM95 wrote:
    without juice......they ain't shit,even with it they struck out a bunch,can't run,can't play D

Not totally true with McGuire... he was a scrawny kid as a rookie and hit a shitload of homeruns.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    metsfan wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:

THE only reason big mac did this was so overtime he can get more votes for the hall of fame. He shoulda said he was sorry when he was in DC a few years back. I think he only got 26% of the votes this year.

I disagree. I'm guessing he did this to work in baseball again. His employment with the Cardinals was probably contingent on him coming clean.

Hall of Fame? I don't think he cares that much. I think if he didn't want to work in baseball, he would have never come forward.

And honestly, him admitting to constant use of STEROIDS (not just HGH) throughout his career ... not going to help his vote total anytime soon, even if we are a forgiving nation. I bet he never makes it above 50% of the vote.

oh, and one reason of him waiting to say this ... he cannot be persued for using illegal drugs. If he had said it in Congress, he could have still been prosecuted.

• CROJAM95 wrote:
    Guys like him and Papi are the worst

I agree with this...but guys like Ortiz, McGuire, and Canseco aren't the guys who piss me off. If they wouldn't be major leaguers without steroids, then whatever, ya gotta make your living. It's not unlike someone who lies on their resume for a regular job. Sure it's wrong, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

The guys who drive me nuts are Roger Clemens, A-Rod, and Barry Bonds. These guys have all the baseball talent in the world and COULD have made it to the top without cheating. But because they have such big egos, they cheated so they definitely WOULD be on top. These guys are comparable to a guy like Bernie Madoff. He had all the money he needs but still ripped people off.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    metsfan wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:

I disagree, this had more to do with Tony LaRussa and McGuire's impending hitting coach job. LaRussa with an law degree basically said to him I don't know if you took steriods or not but you either have to say you did or come clean. So that this story doesn't follow the Cardinals all year long. I think if he had done so some years ago this woud have been better for him in terms of votes for the HOF. He would've garnered more sympathy from back then.

I also think Larussa has known MM has been taking something for their days together with the A's.

Peace

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    jimed14 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:

I disagree. I'm guessing he did this to work in baseball again. His employment with the Cardinals was probably contingent on him coming clean.

Hall of Fame? I don't think he cares that much. I think if he didn't want to work in baseball, he would have never come forward.

And honestly, him admitting to constant use of STEROIDS (not just HGH) throughout his career ... not going to help his vote total anytime soon, even if we are a forgiving nation. I bet he never makes it above 50% of the vote.

oh, and one reason of him waiting to say this ... he cannot be persued for using illegal drugs. If he had said it in Congress, he could have still been prosecuted.
    I think big mac will get in the hall of fame in due time. Say like 14 years from now. He comes out with this a week after the hall of fame votes get announced. I can't believe none of you make that connection. He coulda easily done this before spring training.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115

Do you watch the NFL?
    You're living in a cloud if you don't think its s HUGE problem in the NFL.
    The NFL hasn't had a Jose Canseco yet.
    They will someday soon.
    edited January 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    I think big mac will get in the hall of fame in due time. Say like 14 years from now. He comes out with this a week after the hall of fame votes get announced. I can't believe none of you make that connection. He coulda easily done this before spring training.

Technically, he won't be eligible in 14 years as you only get 15 years on the ballot, and he's already been on 4 ballots. All 4 votes he's been between ~22-24%, I cannot see this making huge strides to get him in. He won't sway an additional 50% of the votes to go from no to yes.

As for timing, he made this announcement at the earliest time possible.

I'm am certain he didn't want to have this being discussed throughout the Hall of Fame balloting to take away from the guys that were going to get in.

I'm sure he doesn't want to wait any further so it hopefully won't bleed too much into spring training.

I'll be he's being handled by the Cardinals PR department.

Do you watch the NFL?
    You're living in a cloud if you don't think its s HUGE problem in the NFL.
    The NFL hasn't had a Jose Canseco yet.
    They will someday soon.

For some strange reason there doesn't seem to be as much of an uproar in the NFL as there is in MLB. It must be the NFL's gladiator effect.

Peace

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    at least he sounds meaningful about it.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    PJGARDEN wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Really?? He asked his lawyers the best course of action to leave his family out of anything that came out of it....That was their advice and it has worked so far. He's not gonna get dragged into a perjury case. At most he'll have to answer some questions about where he got them.