The Chicago Cubs..Please Just Go Away!!!

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    81 wrote:
    Someone call coach Thibs! Tell him this is what happens when you push your young talent too hard.

Kerry Wood and Mark Prior could have been the best duo in history.........but their manager ran them into the ground at a young age.....

Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah next?????????

what are you talking about

Noah rolled an ankle stepping on somebody's foot. happens all the time in the nba.

Rose popped a knee...which also happens in sports fairly often.

I'm beginning to think ofthegirl99 doesn't like Coach Thibs.

Both of those were random injuries that happen in the NBA. No way you can blame Thibs for those.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Too bad. Woody was a great guy and at times a awesome pitcher! It'll be sad to see him go.
    I feel his 20 k's wasn't necessarily a bad thing for his career. I think the worst thing for his career was Larry Rothschild and Cubs management in his first go-round with the Cubs. Just look at Mark Prior! Even with his perfect pitching form, they destroyed his arm and therefore his career.

I still think Wood has the "stuff" to be effective, I just think those injuries over the may years have really caught up to him. If he pitches today, I hope he gets a huge standing-O and I hope he strikes out the side!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just a few stats

Noah averaged 30.4 minutes this season
    Rose averaged 35.3. in vinny's two seasons he averaged 37 and 36.8 with thibs at the helm 37.4 and 35.3

Jordan averaged 40, 40.4 and 40.2 in the 86-87, 87-88 and 88-89 seasons.

durrant averaged 38.6 this year, 38.1 for his career

kobe averaged 38.5 this year....and was close to 40 when he was Rose's age
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    mca47 wrote:
    I think the worst thing for his career was Larry Rothschild and Cubs management in his first go-round with the Cubs. Just look at Mark Prior! Even with his perfect pitching form, they destroyed his arm and therefore his career.
    I agree 1000000000% here. They pushed those two so hard and so quickly, they never had a chance to transition to a full length MLB season.

I also agree that Thibs does the same, but that's just too raw still. Grr... Rose's injury WAS a fluke thing, but he shouldn't have been out there that long until he was better conditioned. That first round should have been 30 minute games unless it was absolutely, positively necessary. :evil:
    mca47 wrote:
    Too bad. Woody was a great guy and at times a awesome pitcher! It'll be sad to see him go.
    I feel his 20 k's wasn't necessarily a bad thing for his career. I think the worst thing for his career was Larry Rothschild and Cubs management in his first go-round with the Cubs. Just look at Mark Prior! Even with his perfect pitching form, they destroyed his arm and therefore his career.

I still think Wood has the "stuff" to be effective, I just think those injuries over the may years have really caught up to him. If he pitches today, I hope he gets a huge standing-O and I hope he strikes out the side!

you know he will get the standing O....striking out the side....that's a whole different ball game. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    just a few stats

Rose averaged 35.3. in vinny's two seasons he averaged 37 and 36.8 with thibs at the helm 37.4 and 35.3

I get all this -- I just think when you're coming off a lot of missed time you need to build back. The ACL is what it is, but the stronger and more conditioned the muscles around it are the more stability you get, the less stress the ACL takes, etc.

It could have happened the next game, it could have happened in the finals... who knows... but Thibs drives players into the ground. Poor Deng with an injured wrist was playing 44 minute games in blowouts at time!
    81 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

you know he will get the standing O....striking out the side....that's a whole different ball game. :lol:

That's probably true! :lol:
    I think Cub fans will be happy if he walks less than 2 and gives up less than 2 runs. :D
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Kerry Wood retires!!!

Oh well he really hadnt done much the last....
    Oh I dont know....

14 years????

Talk about a guy taking advantage of ONE GREAT GAME...

He struck out 20 as a rookie against Houston...
    And hasnt done a damn thing since....
    FACT!

But without a doubt he is a nice guy, with a huge heart.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Kerry Wood

30 wins over the last 10 years.....
    Kerry Wood...

$55 Million Dollars in earnings the last 10 years.....
    Kerry Wood

He also hasn't been a starter in some time.
    In the last 5 years or so, he's come out of the pen and actually had pretty good numbers.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
    81 wrote:
    just a few stats

How many games did he miss under Vinny?
    How many games has he missed under Thibs? And dont forget to count ALL of next year.
    :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    mca47 wrote:
    Kerry Wood

He also hasn't been a starter in some time.
    In the last 5 years or so, he's come out of the pen and actually had pretty good numbers.

He was pretty solid out of the pen for the last few years. But for a guy that never won more than 14 games in a season, the hype was a bit much.
    I still don't know why we are talking basketball right now...
    :?
    mca47 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=120791&start=1485#p4420856

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Kerry Wood

The most over-rated, over-paid pitcher, in Baseball History?

If not..... He is in the top 3
    81 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=120791&start=1485#p4420856

:lol:
    I read the thread and "get" the terrible comparison...still makes no sense and should probably stop. :lol:

This is where Cub fans talk about their POS baseball team. I don't care about the Bulls in here. Get out! :lol:
    And this is all working out for Theo, Right?

Just get rid of

Marmol
    Soriano
    Soto

And its a complete over-haul!!!
    Kerry Wood

The most over-rated, over-paid pitcher, in Baseball History?

If not..... He is in the top 3

:fp: :lol:

he had a decent career. nothing great...more of a what could have been.

i wouldn't call him over rated

i would think zito would be more overpaid...just off the top of my head.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

:fp: :lol:

he had a decent career. nothing great...more of a what could have been.

i wouldn't call him over rated

i would think zito would be more overpaid...just off the top of my head.
    Yep... when you think of Wood and Prior going into 2003... and then everything just collapsing I think that just completely messes up the ability to properly assess their careers.

He wasn't bad, but he just never lived up to the expectations after the 20K game and then once he teamed up with Prior things just looked SO good. Ugh!
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    sat- going w some buddies
    sun- rooftop with a buddy

anyone ever been on the rooftop? im a sox fan but my buddys company is gonna be there. im guessing i shouldnt talk too much shit at the game....
    Well, that didn't take long! :x
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Speedy continues to kill it with the name changes of this thread.

Tip of the cap to Kerry Wood.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    here comes woody
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    and there he goes
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Sad, but awesome at the same time!

Good stuff! :)
    Cubs move to 7 games under 500 vs. the Sox in reg season matchups. 39-46. 2-4 in the big series.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Thanks for the memories Kid K. Nice to see you go out getting a K. A true class act!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    pureoc wrote:
    Thanks for the memories Kid K. Nice to see you go out getting a K. A true class act!

+1
This discussion has been closed.