The Chicago Cubs..Please Just Go Away!!!

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    mca47 wrote:
    While there are certain things about Wrigley that are annoying, I really love the old-schoolness of it.
    I love going to a game and just watching the game for what it is. I don't need to be constantly entertained by blasting music, a jumbotron, or whatever else modern stadiums have. I came to watch and enjoy baseball.

I actually prefer watching the Cubs in spring training here...when it means nothing, more than I do watching them play the D-Backs in the regular season. The spring training fields have that old school vibe to them. Simply...baseball. I go to Chase Field during the season and while I love baseball in any form...it is borderline annoying.
    I think there's more distractions at Wrigley. Support beams blocking the view, bad seats.. I've been to Cubs games where the seats were really bad with bad viewing angles. And don't get me started on the bleachers.. I had good seats once and that was in the lower deck, a few rows in between home plate and third base. Everything else was crap.

Modern ball parks do have a lot of distractions, but are much better overall for viewing the game if thats what you focus your attention on.

Besides, all the fancy stuff goes on in between innings and the action of the game. It doesn't distract from the game.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    as long as you are not behind a I beam, i don't see the issue with seating at wrigley.

i've been to a few modern parks, and they aren't bad.....i guess it's a bigger issue at basketball games. talk about crap during time outs....although, even then it's too bad.

i just think there is something for keeping a couple of these old old school parks around.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    as long as you are not behind a I beam, i don't see the issue with seating at wrigley.

i've been to a few modern parks, and they aren't bad.....i guess it's a bigger issue at basketball games. talk about crap during time outs....although, even then it's too bad.

i just think there is something for keeping a couple of these old old school parks around.

agree. I've never had a viewing problem at Wrigley.

I like it the way it is. In fact I wish they'd stop with the advertisements... there used to be almost none and now there are big ads in the ivy, by home plate, etc.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    81 wrote:

Yea I agree..keep what you posted earlier and gut the rest..starting with the vending and pissing areas.

I guess if you can demolish yankee stadium you can take down any though.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    mca47 wrote:
    I go to Chase Field during the season and while I love baseball in any form...it is borderline annoying.

of course it's annoying....it's semi filled with those fraud d-bag fans.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    I go to Chase Field during the season and while I love baseball in any form...it is borderline annoying.

got in a fight there... sort of.

d-bag fan in front of me had this sign that says something like "Cubs have small balls" or something that really didn't make much sense. the sign was so juvenile and stupid that it was just pathetic. so, during a D-Bag a five-run seventh inning (typical right?) this guy is shoving the sign right in my face, talking shit and being a typical D-Bag fan. The sign is obstructing my view of the game (not that I want to watch it really) and is like a foot away from my face.

So, I took his sign and ripped it to pieces.

A fucking ROAR of applause is heard behind me and he starts crying about his sign. My ex-wife is laughing her head off at the guy and he gets in her face talking shit... so I shove the guy and he lands in the row in front of him. Luckily there were a few open seats there.

Next thing I know security is there, and they take him away! Didn't say a thing to me!

haha... Chase Field. fuck that place.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • I think Cubs fans should start crapping on the dining room floor at all the Billy Goat Taverns and demand restitution from this curse.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933

haha... Chase Field. fuck that place.

I wish they had somehow moved those fuckers to the AL (instead of the astros)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    imalive wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Yeah, I simply do not understand why D-back fans are such assholes. I've been to probably a dozen stadiums where the Cubs were playing and nothing compares to the assface D-Back fans.
    Makes no sense.
    I think there's more distractions at Wrigley. Support beams blocking the view, bad seats.. I've been to Cubs games where the seats were really bad with bad viewing angles. And don't get me started on the bleachers.. I had good seats once and that was in the lower deck, a few rows in between home plate and third base. Everything else was crap.

Modern ball parks do have a lot of distractions, but are much better overall for viewing the game if thats what you focus your attention on.

Besides, all the fancy stuff goes on in between innings and the action of the game. It doesn't distract from the game.

I've been behind a beam a couple of times and yeah...it sucked. Other than that, I don't think there are bad seats... :?
  • They should burn Wrigley Field down to the ground....

And let us Cub Fans throw gasoline on the fire......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    mca47 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Yeah, I simply do not understand why D-back fans are such assholes. I've been to probably a dozen stadiums where the Cubs were playing and nothing compares to the assface D-Back fans.
    Makes no sense.

Try going to a game at Miller Park. They hate Cubs fans there. Sports talk in town when the Cubs are in town focuses more on how much they hate Cubs fans than the actual game itself. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of annoying Cubs fans, just like every fan base, but the media really adds fuel to the fire up here, it's pretty disgusting. Personally I think MIL just needs to understand that there's always going to be a ton of Cubs fans at games at Miller Park when we are in town, so as Al Davis says, I mean said, "get ovah it".
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    pureoc wrote:
    Try going to a game at Miller Park. They hate Cubs fans there. Sports talk in town when the Cubs are in town focuses more on how much they hate Cubs fans than the actual game itself. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of annoying Cubs fans, just like every fan base, but the media really adds fuel to the fire up here, it's pretty disgusting. Personally I think MIL just needs to understand that there's always going to be a ton of Cubs fans at games at Miller Park when we are in town, so as Al Davis says, I mean said, "get ovah it".

yeah, but cubs fans are the worst.....

i've lost count of the number of cubs fans that talk shit like they have won something in the last 100 years....

cubs fans just need to shut up until they do anything.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    there is something to be said for a classic old school throw back stadium.

if anything...leave the interior brick wall, leave the score board, leave the bleachers...tear down the rest and build a stadium around the field

Couldn't agree more! The renovation they did with the bleachers is great, it's really nice out there and has a fairly modern/ yet old school feel. I know they can't do everything like it, but I went to the series out at Fenway last summer and absolutely loved it. Maybe we don't need a huge replay board, but Fenway had the old school feel to watching a game, but didn't come across like a dump, which sadly when walking around the main concourse at Wrigley I think most people would think. It's too cramped when walking around, the bathrooms are bad, and there are far too few of them, and then there is the horrendous food. I'd be all for tearing down everything but the bleachers and brick and completely rebuilding the main grandstand. Sadly I think the only way the could realistically widen the concourse which is probably one of the most important things they could do IMO, would be to shut down Addison and basically build out into the street, not sure how else they could widen the concourse down the RF line, they some room down the LF line as long as they don't build that triangle building.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    81 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

i've lost count of the number of cubs fans that talk shit like they have won something in the last 100 years....

I'm not disagreeing that we have our share of bad apples, cause we do, and all teams do. They are basically just the posers though, ask them about the team and they will tell you they love Sosa and hope he hits a HR today. The majority of the annoying fans aren't really cubs fans, cause they couldn't tell you the first thing about anyone currently on the team. It does piss me off though, cause they definitely give us a bad name. That being said it's so bad in Milwaukee I went to a game a few years ago and sat down in my seat without saying a word and was constantly shouted at "fuck you cubs fan" over and over and over by a guy two rows behind us. My friend I was with who is a Brewers fan was begging me to egg him on to get him to come down by us cause my friend was going to deck him. Luckily I had some cool Brewers fans behind me who apologized for the annoying ahole. Also went to a game the Cubs were winning with 2 outs in the 9th a few years ago and stood up to clap for the last out and was told to sit down by some old lady brewers fan behind me. Seriously? She obviously doesn't know baseball cause if she had ever been to a game before she would know you stand when there are two outs in the 9th and your team is trying to get the win.
    build down....

they are always bitching about workout/hitting cage space....i've always wondered....why not build under the field.

as for the concourse...you could in theory expand it, but ditching the rum club and gift shop...but i doubt they dump revenue generators.

and quite frankly...outside of the leaving the stadium after the game, i have no problem with the concourse.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pureoc wrote:
    81 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

I'm not disagreeing that we have our share of bad apples, cause we do, and all teams do. They are basically just the posers though, ask them about the team and they will tell you they love Sosa and hope he hits a HR today. The majority of the annoying fans aren't really cubs fans, cause they couldn't tell you the first thing about anyone currently on the team. It does piss me off though, cause they definitely give us a bad name. That being said it's so bad in Milwaukee I went to a game a few years ago and sat down in my seat without saying a word and was constantly shouted at "fuck you cubs fan" over and over and over by a guy two rows behind us. My friend I was with who is a Brewers fan was begging me to egg him on to get him to come down by us cause my friend was going to deck him. Luckily I had some cool Brewers fans behind me who apologized for the annoying ahole. Also went to a game the Cubs were winning with 2 outs in the 9th a few years ago and stood up to clap for the last out and was told to sit down by some old lady brewers fan behind me. Seriously? She obviously doesn't know baseball cause if she had ever been to a game before she would know you stand when there are two outs in the 9th and your team is trying to get the win.

i've seen the ushers at wrigley tell opposing fans to hush and sit. i realize all teams have douche bag fans, but it seems the cubs have more than their fair share.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    81 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

Hey now...we aren't all bad...
    I lost a bet...
    edited February 2012
    There are asshole fans everywhere.
    I have been to games in approx 13 stadiums/parks. To date, Diamondback fans are the biggest assholes.
    I've been to tons of Cub rival games...and while they get heated at times, it's not a big deal.
    New York, Philly, St. Louis, Cincy, LA, Milwaukee, wherever....the sheer level of assholedness in Chase Field in Arizona is something really crazy. Yeah, they won it in '02 or whenever it was...but really?
    Post edited by mca47 on
    pureoc wrote:

I've been to tons of games up there. I still conclude that it has nothing to do with the Cubs....Wisconsin hillbillies just hate people from Illinois. :? :D
  • I've lived in Chicago, Phoenix and Philly (area).

Cubs fans are gentle as fuck compared to the east coast baseball fans and sports fans in general. Same goes with Bears fans.

I've seen Cubs fans playfully make fun of opposing fans but it almost always is in good fun. At Philly or NY there is always a tension in the air that you might get popped in the mouth just for wearing the opposing team's jersey. There's always the threat of violence it seems, which I've NEVER experience at a Cubs or Bears game.

Phoenix is just a bunch of juvenile idiots who know nothing about the game... but that's where I got into a small skirmish :D
    Hey now...we aren't all bad...

not all....but i've run into a lot of em.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I've lived in Chicago, Phoenix and Philly (area).

Cubs fans are gentle as fuck compared to the east coast baseball fans and sports fans in general. Same goes with Bears fans.

I've seen Cubs fans playfully make fun of opposing fans but it almost always is in good fun. At Philly or NY there is always a tension in the air that you might get popped in the mouth just for wearing the opposing team's jersey. There's always the threat of violence it seems, which I've NEVER experience at a Cubs or Bears game.

Phoenix is just a bunch of juvenile idiots who know nothing about the game... but that's where I got into a small skirmish :D

east coast people have an inferiority complex...or is it a holier than thou attitude.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    I've lived in Chicago, Phoenix and Philly (area).

east coast people have an inferiority complex...or is it a holier than thou attitude.

No one has a sense of entitlement like New Yorkers, no one, it's not even close.
  • So who is our 3rd baseman??
    Who is our 2nd baseman??
    Who is our 1st baseman???
    Who is playing Right Field??
    Do we have 4-5 starting pitchers????

Rebuilding my ass....
    These assfucks have been rebuildning for 100 years......

These fuckers are going to lose 100 games.....
    So who is our 3rd baseman??
    Who is our 2nd baseman??

Rebuilding my ass....

Without looking into it I can tell you we have a 2nd basemen named darwin barney. The rest I havent a clue..unreal.
  • Wma31394 wrote:
    Who is our 2nd baseman??

Rebuilding my ass....

Without looking into it I can tell you we have a 2nd basemen named darwin barney. The rest I havent a clue..unreal.
    Thats right...

Barney Fife at 2nd.....

I actually liked that kid last year....

Which means he will be hitting about .175 at the All-Star break this year......
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Who is our 2nd baseman??

Rebuilding my ass....

A Mike Fontenote in the making..with less pop.
    Cubs theme for the season..."anything can happen"

Reality says losing will happen
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The only thing going for the cubs is that their division got worse with pujols and fielder leaving. Braun missing 50 games will help too. The division is clearly wide open. .500 ball might be enough for the playoffs.
This discussion has been closed.