glastonbury

124»

Comments

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    ilockyer wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    guypjfreak wrote:
    i agree with you about the head liners that's why i was hoping for pj .but there's so much more to do its not just the bands its meeting people you've not seen for a year or two .ive got a mate who lives in Ireland not seen him in years would have liked to have gone over there to see pj but i haven't got the money .
    i still think its worth the 200 for 5 days :)

id agree this used to be the case in the 1990's before the festival went all corporate and lost its identity.

Now its no different to any other festival (camping onsite is a good bonus), so it all comes down to the line up now on which one to attend, in the past glastonbury was all about the experience and you are quite right it wasnt at all about the line up....

Step away from the Pyramid and Other Stages, forget what Radio 1/Q Magazine/NME want to hype up and there's usually great stuff to be found. As it's got bigger it's become more mini festivals within a festival almost, great for me as I love the Jazz/World stage, Avalon/Acoustic and the greenfields. Really don't care about the headliners - the Pyramid stage/Other stage have become like any other festival. The majority at these stages tend to be there for the whole weekend and not see anything else... which you can do for 2 days at V and save yourself £20!

And there's not a cat in hells chance of Pearl Jam playing. The Pyramid is (apparently) completely booked and they won't foot the expense of putting in a second barrier on another stage just to satisfy PJ.

Totally understand this......When i used to go i used to love wandering off to find Billy Bragg playing to 30 people as a surprise and watching the crowd grow to a 1000, or watching rolf harris play a blinding show (yes really) to a small tent which spilled outside with thousands streaming in.....or catching Plant, the hothouse flowers, the levellers, suzanne vega, etc in the acoustic tents, and the best of all Kanda Bonga man on the world stage - that was probably the best thing i sawm off the main stages at glastonbury and id never heard of the guy...blew me away....

but, and theres always a but, the place used to have the vibe too, and its hard to put a finger on this, but now it doesnt attract the right crowd and its lost that feel, they've made it all about the mainstream...and now they dont charge £70 - they charge £200 - and lets be honest for £200 you need to be seeing some big acts to make it worth the while....paying 200 nicker to watch the little stages doesnt work - not for the full 3 days. Whereas before £70 or £75 whatever it was in 1997 was a bargain......

Im in the minority of course, but I do know that most people who went in the 90's now feel the same, the old crowd doesnt clambour for tickets anymore, but the people from the city cant shell out their 200 quid quick enough.

thank god for the PJ tour
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    i agree with wot you say about the vibe i started going in 96/97 so i know wot you mean but on the other hand you make your own vibe don't you.
    as for going and finding small places tents ect whilst jay z was on me and the wife where up in the green field watching two blokes running a sound system by riding a bike the faster they peddled the louder the music got brilliant .
    ok now one knows the line up but Suzanne is touring always look out for her i remember when a bloke climb up the inside of the tent :lol::lol: also the levs are playing and are strongly rumoured .[this i will find out soon as they are playing mr kyps where my son works as a promoter ]

price ah know this is a bit of a sore point BUT and there's always a but if you look at and here i have to apologise because it would take to long to write so ive pasted it for you to compare
    first v festival ...http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/v ... ford/2010/ and that's for three days
    second isle of wight ..http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/iow/2010/ three days
    third T in the park http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/titp/2010/ three days
    Glastonbury http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2010/ five days .
    ok the main music starts Friday but you have two day Wednesday Thursday to do as you please plus monday to chill plus you dont have an arena so you have your own beer once your in your in and for just under £200 i cant find a better festival that has as much for the money 8-)
    rant over old sons im still hoping pj or ev will do something if not im of to venice for one day £60 ;)
    108 days to go :D
    95 days to go ;)
    94 days to go :D
    93 days to go ;)
    93 days to go ;)
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    selling tickets before the line up is revealed was instrumental to this years glasto sell out again...

dizzee rascal, snoopy doggy, stevie wonder, scissor sisters, pet shop boys

fuck me - where did it all go wrong, if tickets could be resold I;'d think ebay would be full of these today.

oh and No Pearl jam....no surprise there then
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    so sad, so sorry to have miss lead anyone but my contact LIED

I take you have also looked at the offical line up thats now out ~ BAG O SHITE !!!!

so The Black Keys on JP stage will be the only thing I'll make the effot to see, and a band called "The Transpersonals" in the rabbit hole" cos they are damn good and friends, apart from that if you want me I'll be working hard in de tipi !!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    V V wrote:
    Well I've been told they are playing wooooohoooo
    ow

How reliable are your sources? I really hope they are right.

:? well a friends friend does the booking for Glasto so I thought it was a good contact but looking at that line up cant see where they would fit in ? really cant see them playing that early !
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
    ive not even bothered adding to the glasto bit old sons very very disappointed dizzy,, snoop im sure its says NO dogs allowed !!!!
    vv i agree not good the only way i can see anything is if ed turns up with ben .
    BUT hey its going to be sunny ill try and meet up with you over the week end if thats ok :)
  • pearl spampearl spam Posts: 154
    i think this years glasto line up is the biggest load of crap i have ever seen! and worse still i have got a ticket for the bloody thing!!
    not a chance i would have bought a ticket if i knew who was playing! i have got a hyde park ticket for the friday so i only have to put up with the pet shop boys for two days!!
    i was really hoping for pj with them playing hyde park on the friday. but nooooo, mr eavis is a stupid c#@t!
    right rant over now, and i feel better again :D
    28/10/96--29/10/96--29/5/00--30/5/00--3/6/00--4/6/00--6/6/00--25/8/06--27/8/06--13/6/07--18/6/07--11/8/09--13/8/09--15/8/09--17/8/09--18/8/09
    i agree old son but hey well have a beer ah ;)
    im just wondering weather Eddie may make an appearance as a surprise at glasto wot you reckon