Options

A respectful message to the mods...

JamilyManJamilyMan Posts: 240
edited May 2008 in The Porch
Hi Kat, Sea, Santos, etc:

Please let me preface this by saying that I am writing this out of respect and do NOT want this to become a fire burning out of control. I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone other than myself, so please understand that I am voicing my concerns only.

I have been a big fan of Pearl Jam since day one. I have spent countless dollars on merchandise ranging from the music, dvds, clothing, posters, Ten Club membership, etc. I consider myself to be a very active and regular customer of the Pearl Jam corporation. I have been a member of the Ten Club for only a few years, but my years of pumping money into the Pearl Jam business started shortly after Ten was released.

As a fan, I am not owed anything other than what I pay for. I am not owed an explanation of every move the band makes, every plan the band has, every reason they make a decision, etc. I totally get that and respect that.

Having said that, I will also say that while I am a fan, I am also a paying customer who chooses to make purchases based on a number of things. As Eddie sang during Lolla, screw BP. Why? Because they are making decisions that go against what many of us believe to be right. I have also heard him promote and discourage other purchases based on what he believed to be right or wrong. That is certainly his perogative and he knows that he infuences a lot of people.

We, as customers of Pearl Jam also can make a decision to support certain products, companies, etc., and that includes the Pearl Jam corporation. I am not saying that people should stop investing in something they hold dear... but I am asking you, as the customer facing voice of the business, to please treat us as customers that you appreciate and respect. What this means is that if there is a reason behind a decision that can be shared, you share it. If you are unable to share the reason behind a decision, that you have the courtesy to say something to that effect. "Eddie has stated that he does not want anyone taking pictures or recording his shows. His reasons are his own, and he asks that people please respect them."

Something as simple as that can derail a train heading down a very negative track very quickly (although not all of it, I am sure). Or, "Eddie does not want these shows taped because we are hoping to release a special DVD with some of the highlights, and Eddie wants people who were not there to see it with his artisitc vision, not a crappy cell phone recorded copy."

When people ask you direct questions, please have the courtesy to answer them in the best way you are able. So, when people ask "Will there be bootlegs of this coming tour?" a simple yes, no, we are in the works trying to make this happen, we have been asked by the band to not talk about this right now, etc. will give people enough info to chew on until an announcement can be made.

A sticky and/or news item stating "we have asked the people putting ___ video on youtube to take it down because of _____. We have deleted the thread about ______ because the band has made it clear that any mention of these topics be removed from the forum. There are ways to treat the fans as respected and appreciated customers, which will go a long way with many of us.

I personally sent you, Kat, a PM about the April Fools tour, and never got any sort of response. I felt put off, as I asked respectfully, did it in private without putting anyone on the spot, and waited patiently for a response. I have been very respectful on this forum, and I treat people with tremendous respect.

I ask that you, as a group, please be a little more open with info, even if that info is that you can't talk about it for whatever reason. While you are not obligated to do this, I would ask that you consider taking better care of the people that have taken care of the band and the entire Pearl Jam corporation.

Thank you for reading this - and considering my thoughts.

Andy
For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    Looks like someone needs to get a life.
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225

leave the guy alone...he was voicing his opinion in a peaceful manner......something that is not done very often on here!!!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    nicely done JamilyMan. :)
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Good post.

Fuck you Biggest Wave.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    pjten77 wrote:
    leave the guy alone...he was voicing his opinion in a peaceful manner......something that is not done very often on here!!!

and I'm voicing my opinion. It goes both ways my friend.
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 398

nobody forced you to read it.

back to the issue, you bring up some good points. it would be nice to know a little more than just the usual, "against the band's wishes." i mean if the band has a reason i'm sure it is communicated to the mods on the board...
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Andy,

I have no problem with your post...but it seems to me that the band doesn't like certain videos circulating. Is it that hard to think, "Oh...I guess they don't want that circulating. I better not do that." Sometimes there are no explanations in life...things just ARE...and that can be accepted without feeling like a sheep...

Ed didn't want photos or videos taken at his shows. End of explanation. If we want respect from Pearl Jam LLC, then we probably need to start respecting their wishes.

Just my thoughts...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Fuck you Biggest Wave.

Now look what you went and did. You went and hurt my feelings. What will I ever do?
  • Options
    poto101 wrote:
    nobody forced you to read it.

You don't actually think I read all that nonsense, do you?
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Plus..the bigger the explanation, the more info there is for the fans to interpret. "No photos or videos at Ed's shows." OK. Understand you can't take photos.

"no photos or videos at Ed's shows because he doesn't want to see them on YouTube cuz he's shy and he might be embarrassed by something he said..." leaves WAAAAY too much room for interpretation and speculation. The trainspotters would be having a heyday analyzing that.

Or maybe it means "some of you fans can't be trusted to keep your vids and photos to yourselves" - and then people would feel insulted and all hell would break loose.

Sometimes the simplest statements are the safest "explanations". No emotion. No room for interpretation.
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    can't we all just get along...

i think this is a reasonable post, and it would be a shame if it got hijacked
  • Options
    JamilyManJamilyMan Posts: 240
    Biggest Wave, you are entitled to your opinion. Unlike you, I won't slam you for yours. I am very happy with my life, and I hope your little quips make you feel better about yours.
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,536
    JamilyMan, ignore that other comment.

But getting back to you post....I actually agree with much of it....I would like some info from time to time like we used to have.

The only thing I see, though, is that the mods are probably not in control of that. I would think that would be a 10c thing. Unless Im mistaken, they pretty muhc just moderate the boards, and leave the press releases, tour info, etc to the 10 club peeps.

They may post a sticky, or send a tweet, but I dont think they would have the authority to give out that info....

Not sure though.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    and I'm voicing my opinion. It goes both ways my friend.

No, you are not just voicing your opinion, you are just being a dick like usual.

NICELY put, JM....Hope you get your answers!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Welcome to the jungle !!!
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Kat actually did give a reason in the original thread about new recording restrictions. She did say something similar to what you wrote, about having a personal experience etc.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I have had many of the same thoughts before, JM.

Thanks for crystallizing them in your own words. I hope your request gets treated with the same respect and even-handed nature in which you delivered it.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    kingboleteskingboletes Posts: 57
    Why Don't You All Just Listen To The Music And Not Worry About What The Band Is Doing Because It Is Really None Of Your Business And You Are Owed Nothing Not Even The Music.....

Eddie/pearl Jam Could Give A Shit If You Never Saw Another Show Or Did Not Renew Your 10 Club Membership!!

When You Write Bitchy Posts On The Board It Just Makes You Look Weird.......

You Are Lucky That The Band Still Puts Out Music For You The Buy And If You Don't Buy The Music Nobody Is Going To Care Because There Are Enough People Out There That Will Buy It And Not Make A Single Post On This Board About What The Band Is Doing..

The Band Has Enough Things To Worry About And I Doubt They Ever Worry About The Fans That Think They Are Owed Something From The Band!!!

Peace.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Why Don't You All Just Listen To The Music And Not Worry About What The Band Is Doing Because It Is Really None Of Your Business And You Are Owed Nothing Not Even The Music.....

Eddie/pearl Jam Could Give A Shit If You Never Saw Another Show Or Did Not Renew Your 10 Club Membership!!

You Are Lucky That The Band Still Puts Out Music For You The Buy And If You Don't Buy The Music Nobody Is Going To Care Because There Are Enough People Out There That Will Buy It And Not Make A Single Post On This Board About What The Band Is Doing..

The Band Has Enough Things To Worry About And I Doubt They Ever Worry About The Fans That Think They Are Owed Something From The Band!!!

Peace.

Normally I wouldn't really reply to this because I don't like internet drama, however I have to say that I don't really think this way of speaking is a necessary response. I'm willing to bet you only skimmed through the original post. He's voicing his opinion... it's not even really for you... it's an open letter to the mods. Moreover, if you don't really like what he's saying in the initial post, don't respond at all.

Also, just a side note, reading sentences that have every word capitalized gives me a headache, I dunno about anyone else.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361

Peace.

so do you hold down the shift key every time you type a new word or do you have an 'on switch' of sorts?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    I don't really think this way of speaking is a necessary response. I'm willing to bet you only skimmed through the original post.

WRONG!! I READ THE WHOLE THING AND I THOUGHT IT WAS LAME!!!

THIS BAND IS ABOUT THE MUSIC AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

THIS PEOPLE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD ARE OUT OF HAND.......
  • Options
    WRONG!! I READ THE WHOLE THING AND I THOUGHT IT WAS LAME!!!

THIS BAND IS ABOUT THE MUSIC AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

THIS PEOPLE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD ARE OUT OF HAND.......

You sir, are out of hand.

I would say they are about A LOT more than just making music, but really that's a whole other discussion.

To say Pearl Jam does not care about their fans is severely ignorant.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam does not care about the fans that think they are owed something...

And FYI.... I did not type my message with the first letter of every word capitalized.....The computer converted it that way.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam does not care about the fans that think they are owed something...

And FYI.... I did not type my message with the first letter of every word capitalized.....The computer converted it that way.

Where did he say he was owed anything in that post?

In fact he said:
    As a fan, I am not owed anything other than what I pay for. I am not owed an explanation of every move the band makes, every plan the band has, every reason they make a decision, etc. I totally get that and respect that.

So he doesn't feel owed anything... I thought you said you read his whole post? Why harp on someone for having an opinion?
  • Options
    JamilyMan wrote:
    Hi Kat, Sea, Santos, etc:

I ask that you, as a group, please be a little more open with info, even if that info is that you can't talk about it for whatever reason. While you are not obligated to do this, I would ask that you consider taking better care of the people that have taken care of the band and the entire Pearl Jam corporation.

Andy

This is what he thinks he is owed.

You people including myself are a small percentage of the Pearl Jam fans out in the world. And lately people come on this board to just complain about this and that and it gets old after a while.....Just like this post with all the bickering going on among the "FANS"........
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    And lately people come on this board to just complain about this and that and it gets old after a while

these posts get old after awhile also...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930

Peace.

You call his "bitchy" post weird yet you you capitalize every word. I'd say you are the weird one :)

And we aren't lucky the band still puts out music. We are fortunate but they are the lucky ones. They are lucky we still buy the music they put out or else they wouldn't be living the life of rockstars.

And I agree with your post JamilyMan. Very well said.

UPDATE: Sorry, I missed the post where you explained the capitalizing. Just saw it now.
  • Options

They are lucky we still buy the music they put out or else they wouldn't be living the life of rockstars.

If you didn't buy the music the band put out then someone else will....\

Just like I said in my last post only a small percentage of the Worldwide Pearl Jam fans post on this board and if you didn't buy the music it would only be your loss not the bands!!!
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585

Peace.

What's up with capitalizing every single word....? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Never mind I just read your computer is retarded and capitalizes every word... does it pick the posts that it wants to capitalize the whole thing too?

Your comments were really obnoxious BTW.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    What's up with capitalizing every single word....? :rolleyes:

lol.