Pearl Jam @ New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest (UPDATED)

Comments

• What day are they gonna play? Sat or Sun would be wicked cool to know
    JT
  • I've heard that even if you're a headliner at this festival that they play only a 1 hour set. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • Definitely not true. The headliners usually get 2 hours and have gotten up to 2 1/2 before. One year, Dave Matthews paid to play extra time, taking his 5-7 set until 7:30. I imagine Pearl Jam will be scheduled 5-7 on Saturday night.
  • Usually the headliners play 1 1/2 to 2 hour sets but some have played over, but there will be no 3-4 hour PJ set. The shows end early and do not go deep into the night which could make it possible to play another show or even an Eddie solo gig, Ill let you know next week, Eddie coming to our wedding so I will see what his plans are for the fest..j/k...Is anyone going both weekend? King of dont want to miss My Mornig Jacket but if they play Bonnaroo too I may just go the 2nd weekend.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Definitely not true. The headliners usually get 2 hours and have gotten up to 2 1/2 before. One year, Dave Matthews paid to play extra time, taking his 5-7 set until 7:30. I imagine Pearl Jam will be scheduled 5-7 on Saturday night.

I hope you're right about this. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • swampyswampy Posts: 36
    Ok guys I'm thinking about going to the jazz fest as the line up is so mind blowingly awesome! Doing a 4 week trip across the states fly into LA, train or fly down to the festival after going to Vegas for a few days :) then driving across to Florida staying for a week then heading up to New york by train or flight and coming back to Perth via London. I'm planning 4 weeks all up as that's about the max I can get off work. I've never been to the US before so if anyone has any helpful hints or websites to point me in the direction of good places to stay etc that would be great. I'm trawling through the net at the moment trying to get prices on car hire, trains and places to stay. I've been a couch surfing host for a few years so that's an option but i'd really like to know wheres the best places to stay and must sees on the way if anyone's got any ideas.

Thanks!
    lets pick up your will,.. it's grown fat and lazy.
    .: Save You :.
  • LukinFan wrote:
    I am going to this! booked everything yesterday, bought a one-day ticket for well, it came to $57.15 or something with all the ticketbastard fees, still a bargain for a chance to see PJ!

Perhaps in the French quarter we can see Ed in a brawl!? lol...

Can't wait....

Christopher
    what did you do about the hotel? Are we sure PJ will play Sat night?

I booked a Days Inn about 10 minutes away from the venue, good rate for 6 days I think. And yes, PJ is listed 1st on the Jazz' website for weekend 2, what day they will play is beyond me, but I bought a 1 day ticket which is good for any one day that weekend....
  • I just wanted to say thanks to the band for scheduling Jazz Fest in 2010. I've lived in the New Orleans area my entire life and have been going to Jazz Fest for many years and can think of no better venue to see a Pearl Jam show. I tell my wife every year that it would be great if the band could make it, but never thought it would actually happen. Imagine my surprise when we woke up Tuesday, or Wednesday last week, and while checking the weather on wwl, saw that they were coming! Well, I just wanted to say thanks and can't wait.
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    I've heard that even if you're a headliner at this festival that they play only a 1 hour set. Does anyone know if this is true?

Very Very Very not true. In the past the headliners have played 2 to 2-1/2 hours sets. From my experiences of going to Jazz Fest I would be willing to bet Pearl Jam will play around 2-1/2 hours and it will be on Saturday.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    swampy wrote:
    Ok guys I'm thinking about going to the jazz fest as the line up is so mind blowingly awesome! Doing a 4 week trip across the states fly into LA, train or fly down to the festival after going to Vegas for a few days :) then driving across to Florida staying for a week then heading up to New york by train or flight and coming back to Perth via London. I'm planning 4 weeks all up as that's about the max I can get off work. I've never been to the US before so if anyone has any helpful hints or websites to point me in the direction of good places to stay etc that would be great. I'm trawling through the net at the moment trying to get prices on car hire, trains and places to stay. I've been a couch surfing host for a few years so that's an option but i'd really like to know wheres the best places to stay and must sees on the way if anyone's got any ideas.

Thanks!

Sounds like a great trip! These are just my suggestions even though I have never been on a trip across my country like you will be taking. You have to stop by the Grand Canyon. It is truly unbelievable. I have never gotten to hike it but I read this article every few months to remind me that I will do it one day. http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/tr ... gewanted=2
    Then of course stay in the French Quarter in New Orleans. There is no where else like it in the US.
    And then on the way across Florida you should stop along the Gulf Coast at the white sand beaches. My favorite places are Orange Beach, AL or Navarre, FL....Panama City Beach, FL is also a nice place..really anywhere in the stretch between Orange Beach and Panama City is a beautiful place to stay.
    Sounds like a great trip and I hope people from here can meet up in New Orleans for some drinks.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • llovellove Posts: 106
    I too would like to thank PJ for playing the Jazz & Heritage Fest and coming south! I am so psyched and now have something to look forward to during this dreary winter... :)
    Got my room booked in the quarter for 3 nights and tickets purchased! What a great way to begin 2010. I haven't been to New Orleans in 20 years and have such fond memories of the incredible food and fun. Now...whether to drive 9 hrs or fly? Watching Southwest for good fares. Can't freakin' wait!
    makes much more sense, to live in the present tense
  • This is getting more and more tempting as time goes by. Would someone from NO please tell me how far Lafayette is from the area? Also, is anyone else interested in volunteering before the weekend in the ninth ward? Thanks.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• bass09bass09 Posts: 2
    about 2 to 2.5 hrs to NOLA from Lafayette.

Hey rather then the 9th ward why not trying other places that need help
    and were just as devastated as the 9th ward, like Lakeview or the Northshore.
    Its like its almost cool to say "9th ward" It has been almost 5yrs ya know, look if you wanna help
    the city come here for the 2 jazz fest weekends, stay in hotel's, go to restaurants, and
    spend some money; that will help.
  • bass09 wrote:
    about 2 to 2.5 hrs to NOLA from Lafayette.

Hey rather then the 9th ward why not trying other places that need help
    and were just as devastated as the 9th ward, like Lakeview or the Northshore.
    Its like its almost cool to say "9th ward" It has been almost 5yrs ya know, look if you wanna help
    the city come here for the 2 jazz fest weekends, stay in hotel's, go to restaurants, and
    spend some money; that will help.

Thanks for the distance info bass09, but I think you have misunderstood my reasoning for wanting to work with folks who have remained in the 9th ward and are attempting to get their lives back together. For one thing I am a 50 yr old single mom who has been a PJ fan for almost 20 years now since first seeing them in 91 open for the RHCP. My son is 13 and has been doing a couple shows a year since 08 including the shows in Philly this past October where we assisted at the Wishlist pre-parties. So I could really give a shit was is considered "cool" in anybody's eyes, I simply want to share with my son what giving back to the community is all about - whether or not it's the one we currently live in or not. My sister and her husband spent a couple weeks last summer working WITH a single mom who works full-time to help her and her children fix their home by repairing the roof and painting and replastering areas that still hadn't been repaired in five years. She and the children worked as hard, if not harder, than my family and was extremely grateful because she is overwhelmed by how much still needs to be done and she is barely putting food on the table and saving to make the extensive repairs needed to make their home livable again. They were displaced for almost two years and were thankful that they had some semblance of a home to return to finally. Unfortunately, the home still needs a great deal of work and she has neither the time nor energy nor resources to do it all herself with her children or to pay a contractor to come and do it. The sad part to me is that it has been 5 years and the place still looks like a fucking war zone and all the high profile groups and people are gone and some of the people who lived there before the storm are just trying to get back to their roots again. Maybe it's selfish on my part, but as a single mom I would like to take my son down and have him work along with me and these grateful, wonderful people we have met who happen to live in the 9th ward area. I do not know what I would do if the same thing had happened to me but I admire her courage and fortitude in coming back and attempting to put their lives back together. I have worked with many great 10c'ers here in the past who have pulled through to help different people and groups, including myself in many ways over the last 18 years. I just thought some of them that know me would welcome the opportunity to give of themselves to someone less fortunate than they at this time, as well as get a chance to meet some really wonderful people. I will still be helping the NO economy by staying at a hotel, eating , and buying tickets for the weekend shows since there are a number of bands I would like to see along with Pearl Jam. Just wanted to set the record straight on my reasons and if others are interested in helping others in the areas you mentioned than that is wonderful. I just thought it would be fun for some of the fantastic G2 folks and other PJ fans I know to come and get a real flavor of New Orleans besides Bourbon Street and the subsequent party at the fantastic Jazz festival itself. It is unfair to question anyone's motives for what they do since you really don't know what is in their heads and hearts. Like I said, please PM me if you're interested in working along with my family and this family to help make their house a home again or any other family in the area, not because it's the "cool" thing to do but the human thing to extend a hand to another no matter what area they live in.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• woah....
    anyways. Totally thinking about this trip. Sounds awesome both weekends...
    Wish we could do both, but seems like only one..I guess we will see what we can do. Horray!
    9/1/05, 9/2/05, 9/4/05, 9/5/05, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 5/27/06, 5/30/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 7/20/06, 7/22/06,7/23/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/25/09,10/06/09,10/07/09, 05/07/10, 09/25/11, 07/16/13,12/04/13,12/06/13, 10/14/14, 4/7/17, 08/08/18, 08/10/18, 05/04/24

EV 04/02/08, 04/03/08, 07/16/11
  • qcreteqcrete Posts: 135
    any word on when (what day of the weekend) PJ is playing?
  • qcrete wrote:

Last year's day by day time schedule wasn't announced until March 24th. Hopefully it'll be sooner than that this year.
    9-3-98 - Birmingham
    8-7-00 - Atlanta
    8-14-00 - New Orleans
    4-9-03 - Birmingham
    4-19-03 - Atlanta
    10-8-04 - Kissimmee
    8-5-07 - Chicago
    5-1-10 - New Orleans
    7-19-13 - Chicago
    11-1-13 - New Orleans
    4-23-16 - New Orleans
    9-19-23 - Austin
  • What day are they going to be performing? I'm looking at plane tickets and would like to book my trip asap before prices start rising.

Thanks
  • HG239040 wrote:
    What day are they going to be performing? I'm looking at plane tickets and would like to book my trip asap before prices start rising.

Thanks

Unofficial, But Id bet money on Saturday.
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    PearlJm96 wrote:
    qcrete wrote:

Last year's day by day time schedule wasn't announced until March 24th. Hopefully it'll be sooner than that this year.

They won't be announcing the exact stage and time until late march/early april, BUT they will be announcing what DAY each band will be playin on Jan 27! http://jazzfest.swagland.com/jfnewsdates.html

So that is good news.

From what I've read, the general consensus is PJ will play Saturday at 5:30. Widespread Panic seems to have let it be known they are playing on Thursday.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • I wasn't gonna go at first, but Anita Baker!? Man, that sealed the deal for me.
    :lol:
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    glb wrote:
    PearlJm96 wrote:
    qcrete wrote:

They won't be announcing the exact stage and time until late march/early april, BUT they will be announcing what DAY each band will be playin on Jan 27! http://jazzfest.swagland.com/jfnewsdates.html

So that is good news.

From what I've read, the general consensus is PJ will play Saturday at 5:30. Widespread Panic seems to have let it be known they are playing on Thursday.
    pollstar has a few dates with artists up

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.a ... %20orleans
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • plane tix are insane from NYC/NJ to New Orleans..its like 700 for non stop and with stops it takes 8 hours and is almost 500 beans....needless to say, if we have driven to the Roo in Tennesee for 3 straight years we might as well drive the 4 extra hours to Jazz fest...Anyone want in? 2 of us our leaving Wednesday night be there by Thurs. head back probably Sunday afternoon be back early Monday...
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    LukinFan wrote:
    pollstar has a few dates with artists up

Intersting. I'm really hoping Panic doesn't play on Thursday. With Blues Traveler and Gov't Mule on Thursday, would they put Panic that day too? Actually it would be pretty cool to go Thursday. I was just planning on getting down there a day early and visiting family across the Lake and then staying through Monday. I just didn't want to take off a hole week from work!!! Too many possibilities to figure out! :shock:
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
    plane tix are insane from NYC/NJ to New Orleans..its like 700 for non stop and with stops it takes 8 hours and is almost 500 beans....needless to say, if we have driven to the Roo in Tennesee for 3 straight years we might as well drive the 4 extra hours to Jazz fest...Anyone want in? 2 of us our leaving Wednesday night be there by Thurs. head back probably Sunday afternoon be back early Monday...
    so how long is the drive going to be?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • BrandonBrandon Posts: 157
    posting a few tour dates would help me plan my vacation... why can't they just tell us what day of the festival they're playing?
  • LukinFan wrote:
    plane tix are insane from NYC/NJ to New Orleans..its like 700 for non stop and with stops it takes 8 hours and is almost 500 beans....needless to say, if we have driven to the Roo in Tennesee for 3 straight years we might as well drive the 4 extra hours to Jazz fest...Anyone want in? 2 of us our leaving Wednesday night be there by Thurs. head back probably Sunday afternoon be back early Monday...

Says 1300 miles, divided by avg. 70mph is about 19/20 hours...not that bad, plus I save about $500 and the flights are all with connections so they are like 8 hour flights..
    LukinFan wrote:

Says 1300 miles, divided by avg. 70mph is about 19/20 hours...not that bad, plus I save about $500 and the flights are all with connections so they are like 8 hour flights..
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW! That's a lot of driving
    www.RLMcDaniel.com