Options

THE OFFICIAL NEW YORK METS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,640
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'd be shopping him around to everyone. What's the point of trying to sign him before the trade deadline?

Gotta love the mets :lol:

Well, if they plan on keeping him they might as well try now so he doesn't hit the market.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'd be shopping him around to everyone. What's the point of trying to sign him before the trade deadline?

Well, if they plan on keeping him they might as well try now so he doesn't hit the market.
    wow whata logical idea. so easy even a caveman could figure it out
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

wow whata logical idea. so easy even a caveman could figure it out

I think Reyes is awsome, the contract he is going to get scares me though. I just wish he could stay on the field a little more.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think Reyes is awsome, the contract he is going to get scares me though. I just wish he could stay on the field a little more.
    what scares me is he becomes a bust and the fans turn on him in a typical ny minute. it be very ugly to watch.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,535
    K-Rod going to the Brewers for 2 players to be named later
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    igotid88 wrote:

good trade for them just getting rid of his contract
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

godfather of moneyball is no dummy unlike omar. hopefully mets got 2 decent prospects back.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

godfather of moneyball is no dummy unlike omar. hopefully mets got 2 decent prospects back.

think i heard they were lower level prospects. they could obviously turn into something at some point though.

is reyes next?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    think i heard they were lower level prospects. they could obviously turn into something at some point though.

is reyes next?

To be gone? Beltran is definitely next. Saved $17.5 on KRod next year.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,826
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

is reyes next?

Wouldn't be surprised if they keep Reyes now.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

is reyes next?

Yeah, they are certainly trying. I think they will.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

is reyes next?

i believe they are trying to cut payroll a ridiculous amount....wouldn't signing him be the exact opposite?

and why would he sign an extension now, with a poor team, right before he hits free agency?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i believe they are trying to cut payroll a ridiculous amount....wouldn't signing him be the exact opposite?

and why would he sign an extension now, with a poor team, right before he hits free agency?

There were rumors last week that they were holding "secret" negotiations and going to make him a big offer. The Mets are trying to shed payroll in the right places, I think. It sounds like their financial situation has gotten a lot better recently.

They aren't going to just shed payroll and not be compeititve, especially with the Einhorn cash, they just have to spend more wisely, which it looks like they are trying to do.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,826
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

There were rumors last week that they were holding "secret" negotiations and going to make him a big offer. The Mets are trying to shed payroll in the right places, I think. It sounds like their financial situation has gotten a lot better recently.

They aren't going to just shed payroll and not be compeititve, especially with the Einhorn cash, they just have to spend more wisely, which it looks like they are trying to do.

What he said.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i know about the secret talks. thought they were mostly rumors since they said they weren't going to talk about the contract to the media anymore though.

other than him being scared about getting a huge deal due to his yearly injuries, i think he'll look at the deals werth and crawford got last year and test the market. it's not like he's thinking about resigning with a perenial contender or something. giants will definitely have interest. guy's having a phenomenal contract year. be stupid to resign without seeing what else is out there.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i know about the secret talks. thought they were mostly rumors since they said they weren't going to talk about the contract to the media anymore though.

other than him being scared about getting a huge deal due to his yearly injuries, i think he'll look at the deals werth and crawford got last year and test the market. it's not like he's thinking about resigning with a perenial contender or something. giants will definitely have interest. guy's having a phenomenal contract year. be stupid to resign without seeing what else is out there.

But none of us have any idea what the Mets are willing to offer, who knows what substantial offer means to the Mets, I sure as hell don't. Maybe they blow him away.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,120
    if you want to hear more, you might want to put the Fan on at 3:30 for Alderson's conference call.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

But none of us have any idea what the Mets are willing to offer, who knows what substantial offer means to the Mets, I sure as hell don't. Maybe they blow him away.

blown away, i would think, would be werth and crawford money--which they said they were not going to offer.

we'll see.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

blown away, i would think, would be werth and crawford money--which they said they were not going to offer.

we'll see.

That was just Wilpon saying that in the unfortunate New Yorker article, right? Things have completely changed since then. I would peg it at 75% he stays with the Mets, their financial situation is much better, they are out from K-Rod next year, he is the fans favorite and is having a big year. I think they are going to work to build around him.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

we'll see.

That was just Wilpon saying that in the unfortunate New Yorker article, right? Things have completely changed since then. I would peg it at 75% he stays with the Mets, their financial situation is much better, they are out from K-Rod next year, he is the fans favorite and is having a big year. I think they are going to work to build around him.

75%? wow. think it's a bit lower than that.

mets financial situation is still uncertain at best right now. sure they have a lot coming off the books next year...but there's still reyes; in a contract year, having a career year. i doubt the mets turn around and offer him crawford/werthy money during the season.

i'd be surprised if he doesn't test the market this offseason.

we shall see.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

is reyes next?

beltran stays for the season unless sandy gets a good offer. sandy isn't gonna trade away the team leader for next to nothing. i feel boston or another AL team would be the best choice for him. he'd be a good RF/DH
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

reyes signs with the mets for 6 year 100 mil

he's not gonna get crawford unless some idiot owner like the nats owner throws him a werth contract. teams aren't gonna sign him to a huge contract based on potential, they're gonna sign him on what he's done and that's not being healthy the past few seasons. also lets not forget bout the injuries earlier in his career.

btw- it's really great to read the news that Gary Carter is doing better

• Options
    75%? wow. think it's a bit lower than that.

mets financial situation is still uncertain at best right now. sure they have a lot coming off the books next year...but there's still reyes; in a contract year, having a career year. i doubt the mets turn around and offer him crawford/werthy money during the season.

i'd be surprised if he doesn't test the market this offseason.

we shall see.

I do think 75%, I just think it's in their best interest and that they will get it done.

Alright, so this is a bit of quoting headlines that I have seen recently and not reading entire articles but for one, the Einhorn cash helped a lot, yeah, they are cutting costs from next year, but where I think I read they caught a big break and what was killing them was with the Madoff case. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure they just had a ruling go in their favor that will save them a lot of money.

I wouldn't be suprised to see him hit the market, he said he doesn't want to negotiate in season, I just think they get him back.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Beltran is going to be traded. SF or BOS, I would think.

Sandy just needs to make sure he gets usable pieces in return.

The front office is going to play for a winning record this year. I think it will mean brighter days to the team and the fans if they just field a winner in 2011.

Reyes stays the full year. I think the chances of re-signing him are good, but not 75% good.

A fair amount of it will be if he believes this team is committed to winning. Thus, the gigantic nature of the Frank Rod & (potential) Beltran moves.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,723
    Oh boy - RA Dickey tonight. And Cole Hamels isn't batting to break up the no hitter...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Oh boy - RA Dickey tonight. And Cole Hamels isn't batting to break up the no hitter...

we're throwing vance and kendrick at the mets this weekend

fucking bochey....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

we're throwing vance and kendrick at the mets this weekend

fucking bochey....

who's pitching monday????
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    take da flithy talk elsewhere

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    metsfan wrote:

fuck yeah....Halladay
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,723
    81 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

fuck yeah....Halladay

and then Lee.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

fuck yeah....Halladay

and then Lee.

Monday is gonna be awesome....other than the scorching temps :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg